USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

You must think people in this thread are dumb and you're getting off on finding people to troll over here. C plus effort.
im dumb right now.

What do you mean?

I'm not sure I'll ever understand this part of it. Just wanting to be on an island, with every road game for every sport being 2000+ miles away in a part of the country with zero cultural similarity, all because Oregon is winning some football recruiting battles?

I'll always understand that $40M more per year is always better than not having $40M more per year. But I wonder if football recruiting on LA Island will be as easy? And I wonder what it will do for recruiting for other sports?

I guess West Virginia has survived, but this one seems crazier.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand this part of it. Just wanting to be on an island, with every road game for every sport being 2000+ miles away in a part of the country with zero cultural similarity, all because Oregon is winning some football recruiting battles?

I'll always understand that $40M more per year is always better than not having $40M more per year. But I wonder if football recruiting on LA Island will be as easy? And I wonder what it will do for recruiting for other sports?

The ACC should invite West Virginia, Cincinnati, Oklahoma St, UCF, Kansas, and Kansas St. Get to 20. Then work with the Pac 10 to add teams, and make the new network cover the entire country.

It's all about recruiting and getting an edge

This is for the “just let Notre Dame go” faction and their brethren, “the SEC is just going to gobble up the ACC anyhow” gang.

On the contrary, the SEC wants the ACC to survive. It is true. Here is why:

If the ACC were compromised or breaking up, Notre Dame would (at least for a few minutes) become a free agent.

ND would never join the SEC. Many reasons. Too many to list, but nothing more obvious than the academic disconnect. Plus, the Irish rarely beat SEC teams.

The SEC believes that in the end, they are better than the B10 on the field and they also want to own the broadcast rights bucket. It seems that the B10 might get more than the SEC in the coming years. Time will tell, but that race is relatively close.

If ND found its way to the B10, the broadcast rights would flip and the B10 (aka FOX) would become the Big Daddy. They’d be not only winning, but in a dominating fashion.

So, with that in mind, the SEC/ESPN will do whatever it has to do (which in this case is do nothing) to keep ND in the ACC. This also means that ND will play all its ACC road games on ABC/ESPN/Disney (and not on Fox). This is important.

If ND were a free agent for a few minutes, they’d realize that they cannot be a independent program like they were for most of their history. Who would they play? They’d have serious issues lining up 12 games.

So if the ACC were hypothetical broken up, ND very likely not find any sympathetic ACC teams to play, as the Irish always had the ability to save the ACC. I mean you have to assume most or all of the (now former) ACC schools would hold a grudge or be too busy with their new B10 lovers to find time to schedule ND (most especially in the middle of the season).

Beyond that, the Irish to the SEC notion is a non starter (as stated above), the ND to the PAC 10/12 is a “no go,” if only due to geography (this USC/UCLA thing is bat-ship crazy and ND is not that dumb). And the Big 12 … well, they are sort of a sad bunch right now.

That leaves the B10 as the lone viable option for the Irish.

And ND, they’d bite the bullet and take it, justifying it to themselves that they’re now getting $100M per year. One unlikely caveat is that the Irish would spurn the B10 if somehow the new CFB paradigm does not include football players attending class. That seems to be possible, but more likely down the road.

So, not only are Clemson, FSU and Miami redundant markets for the SEC (and that is a no-no), the SEC won’t touch those schools out of fear of forcing ND into the bed of the ultra-rich and super-horny B10, which just got a LA-infused boob job and has (for the last ~40 years) had its eyes on ND.

If the B10 consummated its relationship with the Irish, the SEC would lose their market leverage as the undesputed “biggest and baddest” mantle in the college football land. (How can “it just mean more?” when the B10 earns so much more revenue?)

The longer term worry for SU, and Alsacs alluded to this, is the B10 (remember, this is actually FOX) poaching these ACC schools, all of which have traits beyond football that fit the B10 in concept (listed in no particular order): FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, UVa and maybe (but doubtful) Georgia Tech.

Morals of the story:

1) Notre Dame is going to remain an independent that plays five ACC football games annually while docking their hoops and Olympic sports in the safe harbor that is the ACC.

2) SU and the ACC will be fine and Phillips is doing well to partner up in some form or fashion with the PAC 10/12. He cannot sit idle and it does not appear that he is. This “loose partnership” won’t solve the ACC’s revenue disparity conundrum, but it will whittle away at it, and most importantly, assert the ACC as the definitive No. 3 conference.

3) This’ll make ESPN happy, as they’ll continue to own a super majority in the FBS college football space.
I don’t usually read the really really long post’s….. I enjoyed yours

i think west virginia survives because while moonshine will kill you, it also prevents everything else from killing you.

including conf realignment.

the bastards are on to something...

It's all about recruiting and getting an edge

It's all about more money, more than double what they receive now.

Secondary benefit would be squeezing out Oregon's recruiting.

The money will make it work, but I'm somewhat fascinated to see how it plays out logistically if they're able to keep the rest of the northwest out of the Big 10.

The ACC should invite West Virginia, Cincinnati, Oklahoma St, UCF, Kansas, and Kansas St. Get to 20. Then work with the Pac 10 to add teams, and make the new network cover the entire country.

If there's not significantly more money per team, then no one's doing it.

The good news is that we're working directly with ESPN on this supposed alliance, so we'll know what pays and what doesn't. And I'm sure they're trying to run the numbers with some of the Big 12 schools being poached by the Pac 12.

I wonder how involved our former ESPN exec AD is with all of the negotiations. Would seem to be a nice thing to have in our corner.

The good news is that we're working directly with ESPN on this supposed alliance, so we'll know what pays and what doesn't. And I'm sure they're trying to run the numbers with some of the Big 12 schools being poached by the Pac 12.

I wonder how involved our former ESPN exec AD is with all of the negotiations. Would seem to be a nice thing to have in our corner.
You have to believe the ACC, particularly with a new commissioner, is relying heavily on JW. Who else in the country is better positioned to be an instrumental resource?

They’ve had trouble recruiting SoCal as is. Many of the top recruits have been heading to the SEC, Clemson and Florida Schools. The top OL in ‘23 just committed to Miami a few days ago… hes from Cali but transferred to play prep in South Florida.

If anything, this helps them, if for nothing else in weakening Oregon and UW.

seems like someone unzipped the GOR and is working on new numbers for sure.

interesting...

To survive the ACC need about double its current contract (per school). That is the one thing that may motivates schools to stay. And if schools start to go Syracuse is up the creek without a paddle. We just don't have enough to offer. "Say it ain't so Joe!"

if they dont value $$$$, then they are:

1. foolish
2. set up for disaster
3. foolish

they will drop them and move on in a heartbeat, not even worth discussing.

they are more wedded to NCST.

both schools are likely better off not being in the same conference for hoop, they could market that game or games by itself outside of conference affilation and keep all the $$$ for themselves.

oh yeah, you basically said they dont value $$ and value that little rivalry more...so give me the $$ generated.
UNC might end up in the SEC. I think the prefer the B1G but that means NC State to the SEC. UNC isn’t risking being #2 in NC.

SOURCE: North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia are all negotiating to join the SEC. ESPN is trying to void their TV deal with the ACC.

SOURCE: North Carolina, Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia are all negotiating to join the SEC. ESPN is trying to void their TV deal with the ACC.

What is the "Swim Swam News" ?

What is the "Swim Swam News" ?

I don't know but it sounds extremely legitimate.

The initial big 10 USC news seemed preposterous too. No idea how these rumors form and are then substantiated but i'd be shocked if the SEC wasn't chatting with the bigger guys of the ACC to try and just break it up in one fell swoop

The initial big 10 USC news seemed preposterous too. No idea how these rumors form and are then substantiated but i'd be shocked if the SEC wasn't chatting with the bigger guys of the ACC to try and just break it up in one fell swoop
I really don't see UVA unilaterally leaving VPI behind to join the SEC. Especially after what we saw in 2003.

So sounds like an opinion that has melded into a rumor to me.

Somebody who wants the SEC to win an NCAA swimming championship.

That part makes no sense to me too unless they realize the TV deal without those schools is worth 1/2 of what they paid. Not sure how they get around the GOR, etc.

I would be shocked if the SEC doesn't do something. I'll await further swimswam

1657212540314.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom