USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

For me, the more I think about this, the more I think it's a giant miscalculation.

Some board room somewhere: "Really, how many Syracuse fans only watch Syracuse games? We know based on our data that they watch B1G and SEC games too"

Meanwhile, Syracuse only really care even a little about those leagues because we're in the same P5. It's only slightly interesting because we're both in the same bucket. If they breakaway, become semi-pro and we don't inhabit the same universe? Those conferences will have successfully cut themselves out of my yearly consumption of football.

For me, the more I think about this, the more I think it's a giant miscalculation.

Some board room somewhere: "Really, how many Syracuse fans only watch Syracuse games? We know based on our data that they watch B1G and SEC games too"

Meanwhile, Syracuse only really care even a little about those leagues because we're in the same P5. It's only slightly interesting because we're both in the same bucket. If they breakaway, become semi-pro and we don't inhabit the same universe? Those conferences will have successfully cut themselves out of my yearly consumption of football.

Last year is the first year I didn’t watch any college football or basketball games that didn’t have SU in them. Excluding the NCAA tournament where I would catch the ending of a game if they were on upset alert. That’s coming from a guy that would watch multiple games in every time slot across all the major conferences for decades. I hate what has become of my beloved college sports.

So that means, at least for the time being, the only thing the Big 10 got was 2 more mouths to feed and USC and UCLA have to go across the country to play volleyball.
does the b10 have water polo? and those schools dont play field hockey/lax or whatever

Based on what I have read and more importantly what makes economic sense for all involved I do believe that the PAC will reach a TV deal with ESPN that will include an alliance with the ACC and provide both with a decent bump in pay and leave this ACC PAC as the strongest of the remaining conferences. In 12 years or less but at a minimum 5 everything including NIL will have shaken itself out. ND will remain independent in football and keep all of their other teams in the acc.
The decision to go to a 12-team playoff will happen and we will always have a chance a very good year and possibly a playoff berth but never more than that which I'm fine with.
At this point Syracuse has to be very grateful that the GOR is in place.

What are you saying that I'm whining. Yeah you're a comedian it's hilarious . So what do you say you wouldn't give a sh$#.

Listen I'm not saying I'm gonna cry and throw throw a fit like a little baby lol I'm just saying that it's just frustrating that nothing is being done they're just sitting back and waiting for things to happen! tell me I'm wrong

What are you saying that I'm whining. Yeah you're a comedian it's hilarious . So what do you say you wouldn't give a sh$#.

Listen I'm not saying I'm gonna cry and throw throw a fit like a little baby lol I'm just saying that it's just frustrating that nothing is being done they're just sitting back and waiting for things to happen! tell me I'm wrong
Okay. You're wrong.

only thing I saw in that whole thing that gives me even a sliver of hope is that if the ACC adds a school it does not dissolve the GOR. Need to try to poach some schools and add some value somewhere. I don’t know who even moves the needle or who will come but somebody who makes a lot more $$$ then I do needs to figure it out. You can not have a $70 million dollar gap between the haves and have nots. Nobody other then Notre dame makes up the whole shot but try to get from mid $30 million a year to maybe high $50 million if even possible. Again it may not be.

Who would you find that checks both boxes?

A. Adds incremental value per school

B. Would be willing to sign onto that GOR through 2036

Last year is the first year I didn’t watch any college football or basketball games that didn’t have SU in them. Excluding the NCAA tournament where I would catch the ending of a game if they were on upset alert. That’s coming from a guy that would watch multiple games in every time slot across all the major conferences for decades. I hate what has become of my beloved college sports.
That’s me for the last 5-6 years.

Just because the ACC has not pulled the trigger on anything does not even remotely mean that discussion, planning, analysis, etc. are/is not happening. Let's not do a Ready...Fire...Aim bit here. Right now there's multiple permutations being contemplated I would wager. There's tons of conversations happening behind the scenes, with conversations happening after those and I would imagine discussions behind the scenes at ESPN. If we add teams and ESPN doesn't add money then that's a crappy and money diluted deal. More teams does not necessarily equal better at this time. I do think it's interesting that not one single university has tried to go to court yet to break the GOR. Seems kinda telling.

A bit tangential, but still pertinent a bit: Ryen Rusillo had Bruce Feldman on his podcast and they were talking about re-alignment, but also about the NIL numbers being thrown around.

What they said was that the dollar amounts being reported/leaked are equivalent to NFL players/teams announcing deals that include the non guaranteed money.

Basically, they announce the very upper bound of what the deal could be (even if its very low likelihood to ever reach that upper bound) for benefit of the player and the team, but in reality, a LOT of these NIL deals for the players are less (and a lot significantly less) than what is being reported or rumored.

Doesn't change the fact that if B1G payouts are 2x-3x what ACC payouts can be that players would choose the ACC over the new B1G, but just a bit of grounding in what is somewhat shaking out with the NIL deals.

UCF brings nothing. Baylor and TCU are redundant. Pick one. Otherwise not bad.
UCF only lacks tradition. The same could've been said of FSU prior to the 1980's. With a boat load of money and if they were in a big time conference they could become a juggernaut. If all you care about is getting a foot in a state, then yes, Baylor and TCU are redundant. If you like the idea of regional rivalries then having both makes sense and would be fun. If we're talking about not being at the big boy table, I want rivalries that make sense.

Lol OK can you elaborate about what Really tell that you know what you're talking about usually when people have nothing to say man there's a reason for that
Wildhack is definitely not just standing around watching. These discussions and maneuvers don't occur in the public sphere, and aren't publicized until they are finished... if ever.

Not sure I can get mad at Dino for meh recruiting if our AD is slashing the preverbal tires when he tries to go recruit.

Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s to motivate people in the right direction .. maybe… it’s almost definitely not something I’d say out loud.

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Arizona State, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Kansas and a couple of the Texas schools. Create a 10-team ACC West division. Oregon-Clemson, Washington-Florida State, Stanford-Miami would be great matchups. And it would give the ACC Network weekly content for the later time slots.
The remaining PAC12 schools can either remain in a decimated pac12, partly controlled by Fox, join the B12, partly controlled by Fox, join the B1G, partly controlled by Fox, or join the ACC, and come completely under the ESPN umbrella.

Don’t see the SEC adding any PAC12 schools. So if ESPN wants to lock up any of the remaining PAC12 schools, it needs to happen with the ACC.

Though it should be noted that they could just wait and sign the PAC12 to a new contract. Thought I read that Fox has already said they have no interest in re-signing the other PAC12 schools (and CBS has no interest as well).

If they wait, they can get the PAC12 schools a lot cheaper. So that is probably what they will do. Unless they are worried about some streaming service snapping them up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom