USMNT-Azerbaijan tonight on ESPN2 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT-Azerbaijan tonight on ESPN2

NailstheCusefan12

All American
Game starting around 10 p.m. EST. Looking forward to seeing the lineup Jurgen uses, as he says it will be a good preview of the group that will start against Ghana.

Tonight's starting lineup:
BorzM0hIcAEzyjh.png:large

Dempsey out after straining a groin muscle in warmups. Oof. Not a good omen.

The new number 10 with the opening goal. Mad scramble in front and Diskerud slams it home

Overall not very good but not very bad. Don't think we learned too much tonight. Line Up didn't have any big surprises for me. Thought Bradley was off tonight but this is the time to be off.

How many of those sitters that Wondo missed does Donovan convert?

How many of those sitters that Wondo missed does Donovan convert?
The same number Johannsson would have if he had started. It's got to be AJ up front running in and around Jozy or Clint.

What a depressing night it was for donovan fans of the last 12 years. It just isn't right.

Last edited:
Was a bit disappointed by the score line but the same Azerbaijan squad lost to Portugal by the same 2-0 score line and drew Russia and Israel both 1-1. Perhaps this wasn't a cream puff game as I had initially thought it should be.

Was a bit disappointed by the score line but the same Azerbaijan squad lost to Portugal by the same 2-0 score line and drew Russia and Israel both 1-1. Perhaps this wasn't a cream puff game as I had initially thought it should be.
Like I said ...hard to take to much from the game. Was going to take my daughter (huge donovan fan ) to game at Red Bull Arena Sunday...but not now. We were at the send of game in 2006 at the rent and the send off game in 2010 at the Linc...as Kurt Vonnegut would say "So it goes "

Last edited:
I didn't like the Wondo pick over Donovan and last night did nothing to make feel off the bench that Wondo should be the sub if we need a goal at the World Cup. Klinsman didn't like Donovan it seems and the goal Wondo scored against Mexico in the previous friendly probably got him the call. I hope Johansson is the first forward off the bench behind Altidore and Dempsey. I like Green more than Wondo.

Wondo is 31 and Donovan is 32 and yet Klinsman picked Wondo.

I didn't like the Wondo pick over Donovan and last night did nothing to make feel off the bench that Wondo should be the sub if we need a goal at the World Cup. Klinsman didn't like Donovan it seems and the goal Wondo scored against Mexico in the previous friendly probably got him the call. I hope Johansson is the first forward off the bench behind Altidore and Dempsey. I like Green more than Wondo.

Wondo is 31 and Donovan is 32 and yet Klinsman picked Wondo.
There are 100 solid arguments against the Donovan snub. Haven't heard one good argument for letting Donovan go. its not my spelling its early senility I think

Last edited:
Overall not very good but not very bad. Don't think we learned too much tonight. Line Up didn't have any big surprises for me. Thought Bradley was off tonight but this is the time to be off.

The game would have been a lot different if Wondolowski had scored one of those 2 early headers. Both were great chances. Keeper got lucky with the leg save on the first one, and made a terrific save to lift the second one over the bar.

As it was, not having Donovan is going to make Bradley play further up the field. He's not as creative, but he can pick a pass and he is a threat to score. Zusi is the reason that Klinsmann feels he can do without Landon, and I thought Zusi looked very good, especially early on.

I think that the biggest problem is going to be the unsettled defense. He's coached, what 50 games now, and he can't keep the same back four for more than two or three games in a row. It's terrible and it showed with the uncertain passing at the back.

Howard can only do so much to help guys communicate who are still playing together for the first time, some of them. What with that "preparation" for the World Cup? I would hope he has a good enough sense of the talent pool by now. He's brought in close to 60 players to the national team over the last 2 1/2 years.

There are 100 solid arguments against the Donovan snub. Haven't heard one good argument for letting Donovan go. its not my spelling its early senility I think

i think the bottom line for klinsmann is that donovan bailed on his teammates in the middle of a tough qualifying campaign. and then they went and won 14 in a row or something like that and learned they can win without him.

Watching Matt Besler last night made me sorely miss Carlos Bocanegra. That back line is soft and discombobulated.

i think the bottom line for klinsmann is that donovan bailed on his teammates in the middle of a tough qualifying campaign. and then they went and won 14 in a row or something like that and learned they can win without him.

Just like they learned to win without Timmy Chandler, whose "loyalty" apparently was not a concern.

Okay then way did he have Donovan start in the critical qualifier vs Mexico last fall. And as he so often does in big games Landon came through. ( On a nice play by Diskerud I'll admit ) The way I see it Klinsmann wouldn't play LD if 4 forwards got hurt now because if he LD had a big World Cup (again ) then Jurgy will look like a fool. Your sure the Gold Cup wins weren't part of the 14 ?

Okay then way did he have Donovan start in the critical qualifier vs Mexico last fall. And as he so often does in big games Landon came through. ( On a nice play by Diskerud I'll admit ) The way I see it Klinsmann wouldn't play LD if 4 forwards got hurt now because if he LD had a big World Cup (again ) then Jurgy will look like a fool. Your sure the Gold Cup wins weren't part of the 14 ?

I'm not agreeing with the omission. I think it's stupid and petty. Even if Donovan can't start 3 consecutive games, you want him for his creativity. Zusi is a good player, very similar now that Donovan has lost a bit of pace. But Donovan has been on the big stage before and Zusi has not.

I'm not agreeing with the omission. I think it's stupid and petty. Even if Donovan can't start 3 consecutive games, you want him for his creativity. Zusi is a good player, very similar now that Donovan has lost a bit of pace. But Donovan has been on the big stage before and Zusi has not.

And yes, the Gold Cup wins were part of the 14 and Donovan played a big role. No arguments from me.

That game you won

, in the World Cup you might be lucky to tie one game (ducks and finds cover). Get that back line fixed though, seriously.

As it was, not having Donovan is going to make Bradley play further up the field. He's not as creative, but he can pick a pass and he is a threat to score.

Bradley playing higher up is a good thing for the team, in my estimation.

The question is whether Jones will adhere to his #6 role and allow Bradley to do so.

Regardless, the D is a mess and, with all the mental lapses, I just cannot see how we don't get torn apart by Portugal and Germany.

I really hope I'm wrong but I just don't see how we get out of the group stage.

Bradley playing higher up is a good thing for the team, in my estimation.

The question is whether Jones will adhere to his #6 role and allow Bradley to do so.

Regardless, the D is a mess and, with all the mental lapses, I just cannot see how we don't get torn apart by Portugal and Germany.

I really hope I'm wrong but I just don't see how we get out of the group stage.

Well, Cristiano Ronaldo has a thigh problem right now, so in the heat, after some travel, maybe he won't be 100%. The rest of the Portugal squad is competent and full of professionals, but nobody that truly scares me. I think they are waaay overrated at #3 in the current FIFA rankings. I mean, they barely qualified for the World Cup and had to win a play-off to make it to Brazil. How could they be #3?

I agree with the Jermaine Jones comment. I like him, but don't love him as a player, and he will have to adjust with the change in system. I also like Bradley playing more forward, and he has shown promise in that role. I think Beckerman will log some time as the holding midfielder at the bottom of the diamond, and I like him in that role. He's got some bite in his tackles.

The mess on defense is Klinsmann's fault, along with a bit of bad luck with Omar Gonzalez's recent injury. If Gonzalez and Besler were starting in central defense, I would be fairly comfortable with that. I think DeMarcus Beasley at left back is a poor man's Ashley Cole - doesn't offer a lot going forward, but has some ball skills and has pretty good pace to get back on defense and recover from mistakes. He, like Cole, is a step slower than he used to be, but I like him. At right back, I think that's the biggest problem. Seems like Klinsmann has decided to use Fabian Johnson, and he is SOOOO unproven. Yikes. That's where we are most vulnerable defensively, IMO.

Even if we should somehow beat Ghana, draw Portugal and lose to Germany, but get thru as the number 2 in our group on goal difference, we likely have Belgium waiting for us in the round of 16. They have a tremendous offense and would crush us.

Well, Cristiano Ronaldo has a thigh problem right now, so in the heat, after some travel, maybe he won't be 100%. The rest of the Portugal squad is competent and full of professionals, but nobody that truly scares me. I think they are waaay overrated at #3 in the current FIFA rankings. I mean, they barely qualified for the World Cup and had to win a play-off to make it to Brazil. How could they be #3?

I agree with the Jermaine Jones comment. I like him, but don't love him as a player, and he will have to adjust with the change in system. I also like Bradley playing more forward, and he has shown promise in that role. I think Beckerman will log some time as the holding midfielder at the bottom of the diamond, and I like him in that role. He's got some bite in his tackles.

The mess on defense is Klinsmann's fault, along with a bit of bad luck with Omar Gonzalez's recent injury. If Gonzalez and Besler were starting in central defense, I would be fairly comfortable with that. I think DeMarcus Beasley at left back is a poor man's Ashley Cole - doesn't offer a lot going forward, but has some ball skills and has pretty good pace to get back on defense and recover from mistakes. He, like Cole, is a step slower than he used to be, but I like him. At right back, I think that's the biggest problem. Seems like Klinsmann has decided to use Fabian Johnson, and he is SOOOO unproven. Yikes. That's where we are most vulnerable defensively, IMO.

Even if we should somehow beat Ghana, draw Portugal and lose to Germany, but get thru as the number 2 in our group on goal difference, we likely have Belgium waiting for us in the round of 16. They have a tremendous offense and would crush us.
There is absolutely No way Portugal deserves #3.

No way. But they did beat a solid Sweden team in the playoff. WC with no Zlatan or young Ukrainian Talent is a little disappointing to me...

Im going to cheer for underdogs USA and Bosnia. I don't think you will win a game but would love to see a NA team take down a powerhouse in Germany...fat chance but still.

Could we see a play straight out of the movie Victory? Someone takes a broken bone for Donovan? ;)

I keed, I keed.

Since Donovan isn't there, I want to see more Iceman. That kid is real close to greatness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom