USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over

Do you differentiate between a pure #10 (like all the little Argies in MLS) and a SS? I think Weah would be a great second striker playing off Altidore. I'd actually invert them.

I missed this before, but when I referenced Weah @ the 10, it sounded (I didn't actually see the game, just the post-match analysis) like his role was more of the little Argies (as you so eloquently put it!) role rather than as a second striker.

In my mind, that little Argie role is how I see a 10, but it's certainly up for interpretation especially with how much tactics have changed in the modern game.

I wouldn't worry too much -- the US has spotlighted him in just about every tournament he could participate in over the last three years. I'm not sure if there's a better way that the US could 'show him love' (as our football and basketball 'croots like to say).
That and Chile isn’t exactly Argentina or Brazil world power soccer nation.

They have won the Copa America at home in 2015 and in USA in 2016 but they aren’t a world power.
Alexis Sanchez and Vidal from Bayern are the only players from Chile I know of without really searching.

Chile is a little below Mexico on the world scale.

We should still call up Soto in September for the friendly in NJ against Mexico.

September 6th we play Mexico at MetLife.

US Soccer just announced September 10th we will play Uruguay in St. Louis.

That's such an alarmist reaction after the Soto news.

All three players they called out have been fully integrated into the US system.

I thought it was kinda funny when Julian Araujo was complaining in July that USSF hadn't reached out to him (after he was with the U20 national team at the U20 World Cup just a few weeks prior). Berhalter was at the Gold Cup, the US Women were at the World Cup where the rest of USSF's focus was, and he needed attention at that moment that badly? C'mon Julian, focus on finding a regular spot with the Galaxy.

That's such an alarmist reaction after the Soto news.

All three players they called out have been fully integrated into the US system.

I thought it was kinda funny when Julian Araujo was complaining in July that USSF hadn't reached out to him (after he was with the U20 national team at the U20 World Cup just a few weeks prior). Berhalter was at the Gold Cup, the US Women were at the World Cup where the rest of USSF's focus was, and he needed attention at that moment that badly? C'mon Julian, focus on finding a regular spot with the Galaxy.
Unfortunately that's the generation we see now

Attention Deficit Disorder to the extreme

As in, any deficit of attention on the individual means you are a hater and I will move on to someone who will show me fake love

I think it depends on how we want to play. Ajax was having its wingbacks play aggressive offensively but it didn't look like they cared about Dest's defensive responsibilities -- with how strong they are through the spine, not sure I blame them.

if we ever go with a defensive 3-5-2, I could easily see him potentially being more valuable than Yedlin in that RWB/RM role -- I'm just not sold on his defensive acumen if we need a different skill set with him.

He very well could be better defensively than he showed today in a different scheme.

I think a 3-5-2 works really well for the talent the US has at its disposal.

We have pretty good, but not elite, centerbacks. I saw Chelsea under Conte win a championship using 3 at the back. It gave you some extra cover if a guy made an error. David Luiz was less of a liability for those occasional mental lapses. Three guys > two.

Then, you have 5 in the midfield, which has been a persistent problem with the US team. We could go either 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2, but you have to do one of those 2 formations so that we have a solid defensive base and enough bodies in midfield to break up play.

I like the 3-5-2 better than the 4-2-3-1, though, because we don't have an elite striker. Jozy can be good, but is 50/50 whether he's going to be healthy at any given time. He seems like an old man, because it seems like he doesn't take good enough care of his body. He's always hurt, and he's still only about 26 years old, isn't he?

So, give me two guys at the top of the formation. It allows two lesser guys to play off each other. It's often successful to pair a target guy with a guy who can run in behind the defense. One is the point of attack, and the other guy makes runs off the hold up man.

Up front I think the "2" starts with Pulisic. Put him closer to the goal so he gets more chances where he can score. I'm not sure exactly who to plug in up top alongside Christian Pulisic. Would it be Josh Sargent? He is 6-1. I hope he has a great year at Werder Bremen. If he can hold up the ball, he's the future and combine with Pulisic. Otherwise, it's Jozy Altidore until somebody shows they are better.

Having wingers instead of fullbacks eases another problem - our lack of quality fullbacks. If we play wingers instead, they don't have to have quite the same skill set, don't have to run quite as much or track back to cover defensively quite as much in a 3-5-2 as in 4 at the back. So we can cover a bit for our lack of a certain kind of talent, with wingers who maybe are more plentiful in MLS who we can look to.

I would try Tyler Boyd on the right wing, or Reggie Cannon. So DeAndre Yedlin would have some competition. We look much better with those guys as wingers so we can limit their defensive exposure, allow them to help in the midfield, and have them starting a bit farther up the field so they can more easily join the attack.

Paul Arreola as the left wingback probably makes a lot of sense and would seem a better fit for him than being a pure attacker. He's a hard worker and could slide into midfield to break up play when we give away the ball. Antonee Robinson, Nick Lima and Djordie Mihailovic are probably other options there.

Then, you have 3 midfielders to go with the 2 wingers to make up your midfield five. And when the other team is in possession, the 2 wingers can drop back to give you a defensive block of five. Very flexible formation.

I think you play Weston McKennie at the base of the 3 midfielders. He breaks up play well, and he really can pick a through ball. He is the clear successor to Michael Bradley and Jermane Jones.

Then, you have Tim Weah who is too talented to be left out, and has so much skill on the ball. Then you choose one guy from among Sebastian Lletget, Kellyn Acosta, Will Trapp or Christian Roldan. Those are probably the guys who will playing for that last spot in the midfield. You need another guy who works hard to win back the ball, and who is good in possession.

Think about a 3-5-2 allowing us to shore up the always-changing pairing in the backline of the defense. Our frequent changes in the centerback pairing (and frequent injuries of Brooks) have prevented us from building any serious chemistry. Three guys can cover for mistakes better than only two.

So who would be our three at the back? John Brooks? Frequently hurt, but talented, physical, strong in the air, and good with the ball at his feet. He gives you more distribution than some other options, but having a third guy back there helps cover for his occasional brain freezes. John Brooks is like the USMNT's version of David Luiz. But if he's healthy and committed, then yes, you give him a spot.

Then who else fills out the group? Cameron Carter-Vickers, Matt Miazga, Walker Zimmerman and Aaron Long is the group for me. Turn these young guys into a unit and let them develop some chemistry.

To me, those are the only 2 formations that the USMNT can play, with our lack of elite talent at various important spots on the field. If we had an elite 9, then we wouldn't need to consider a pair up front.

If we had better, more proven midfielders, we could consider something like a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2, but if we play those formations with these young guys, we will get over-run by elite teams in the midfield. So you play a flexible formation that allows you to get 5 into defense when you need it, but the default is 5 guys to give you control of the midfield, and 2 guys to play forward to in attack.

Let's see the 3-5-2! It's a hell of a formation.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much -- the US has spotlighted him in just about every tournament he could participate in over the last three years. I'm not sure if there's a better way that the US could 'show him love' (as our football and basketball 'croots like to say).
he had an absolutely world-class first touch against France on a pass from Weah where he opened up into the box with his first touch and then put it past the keeper...

Really depends on how MLS-heavy GGG is going to go over the next few windows. Obviously I think there is
hungry and unproven talent I would like to see get a chance (Dest, Llanez, Mendez) with the senior team.

Really depends on how MLS-heavy GGG is going to go over the next few windows.

I’m the biggest MLS fanboy there is, I’m not sure that there’s a ton of big stage ready talent for the US out there right now for GGG to select. There are prospects I really really like. But I think our best 23 is probably 80% non-MLS players. I only think you can make an argument for 3-5 MLS players right now with a few other projecting to be in the fold later on.

I’m the biggest MLS fanboy there is, I’m not sure that there’s a ton of big stage ready talent for the US out there right now for GGG to select. There are prospects I really really like. But I think our best 23 is probably 80% non-MLS players. I only think you can make an argument for 3-5 MLS players right now with a few other projecting to be in the fold later on.

I respect this very reasonable take. I'm definitely on the other side of MLS fence but I do think guys starting regularly in MLS are always worth a look...until they suck (cough Wil Trapp)

I respect this very reasonable take. I'm definitely on the other side of MLS fence but I do think guys starting regularly in MLS are always worth a look...until they suck (cough Wil Trapp)

I honestly think if we came out with a 23 man roster, we’d see Aaron Long, a 3rd GK who’s in-form and playing regularly, and Arriola.

Jozy would be a crap shoot. Roldan is sitting on the bubble and I’m not sure who else would be ready right now.

I honestly think if we came out with a 23 man roster, we’d see Aaron Long, a 3rd GK who’s in-form and playing regularly, and Arriola.

Jozy would be a crap shoot. Roldan is sitting on the bubble and I’m not sure who else would be ready right now.
Berhalter would shoehorn Zardes in there no matter what.

Berhalter would shoehorn Zardes in there no matter what.
Zardes just doesn’t have the finishing skills to be what USMNT wants him to be.

Give me the kids on the u-20 team over Zardes in a WCQ or important match.

There has been a generational leap in terms of the European clubs the Americans are joining.

Harkes, McBride, Dempsey, Yedlin etc. all played for lower-level clubs in the Premiership. Bradley was with Roma but was never a regular in the rotation, Other US players have mostly played in lower-level leagues.

Pulisic has been the standard-setter in terms of truly breaking through to an elite European club. And I think that can be a reasonable expectation that, on average, superior American talents will start to get opportunities at the highest levels.

As a result, I think MLS players, going forward, will be more fringe-type national team selections.

Long I don't mind. He's always been solid when called up. Same for Arriola. I was a big Roldan supporter but tbh he hasn't been good enough when given a chance.

Long I don't mind. He's always been solid when called up. Same for Arriola. I was a big Roldan supporter but tbh he hasn't been good enough when given a chance.

Unfortunately, the question with Roldan is not "has he been good enough," the question is "who's good enough to knock him off the roster?"

That's our problem.

Unfortunately, the question with Roldan is not "has he been good enough," the question is "who's good enough to knock him off the roster?"

That's our problem.

Lletget, Holmes, Parks, Hyndman, Nagbe, Pomykal? It's hard to say given the where Roldan has been playing for the National Team vs. where I understand him to play for Seattle, but all of the above strike me as better 8s/shuttlers. With the national team he is one of the dual 10/8s. I've read he'd be better playing deeper, as an 8 next to a devoted DM. I think Roldan is a useful player who should be on the fringes of the 23-man going forwarded, and i dont mind seeing him get called up versus having some of our younger guys have to schlep over from Europe to play a minnow.

Lletget, Holmes, Parks, Hyndman, Nagbe, Pomykal? It's hard to say given the where Roldan has been playing for the National Team vs. where I understand him to play for Seattle, but all of the above strike me as better 8s/shuttlers. With the national team he is one of the dual 10/8s. I've read he'd be better playing deeper, as an 8 next to a devoted DM. I think Roldan is a useful player who should be on the fringes of the 23-man going forwarded, and i dont mind seeing him get called up versus having some of our younger guys have to schlep over from Europe to play a minnow.

I would give my left arm to see Keaton Parks get extended run. Can play as a 6 or 8. Great passer and dribbler. Love his game. I expect when his loan ends at NYCFC that he will get a shot in Europe in a decent feeder country (Belgium, Netherlands, or maybe Bund 2)

At this point GGG needs to give lots of guys a look now and figure it out before WCQ. Who knows when Adams is gonna be healthy. Would love to see a 3-man midfield of McKennie, Parks, and Holmes (or Mendez just to see).

Not gonna lie -- this thread just made me so pessimistic about the depth of our team for any offensively minded midfielders.

We're talking about spots for guys like Lletget (I'm not as high on him as a lot of pundits and think he's unproductive when you consider the talent around him and the field time he sees, not a focal point on his own team), Keaton Parks (up and down in MLS, not seeing regular starts or even minutes, hasn't been able to displace Ebenezer Ofori on a team that could probably use a calming presence on the ball in MF), Hyndman (who's 23 y/o and still firmly glued to ATL's bench), and Alex Mendez (who isn't starting for Jong Ajaz and had his expectations come back down to reality after a 'meh' U20).

Paxton is having a somewhat productive year for a fairly young player, but he also gets to play with a PSG transfer target and Wayne Rooney. Roldan is a little above average in the league too. Nagbe's still a decent two way player, but in the final third he's somehow below average.

Everyone light a candle tonight and say a little prayer that Gio or one of our other young guns abroad make a jump.

At least we should feel good about our backline and GK depth.

Not gonna lie -- this thread just made me so pessimistic about the depth of our team for any offensively minded midfielders.

We're talking about spots for guys like Lletget (I'm not as high on him as a lot of pundits and think he's unproductive when you consider the talent around him and the field time he sees, not a focal point on his own team), Keaton Parks (up and down in MLS, not seeing regular starts or even minutes, hasn't been able to displace Ebenezer Ofori on a team that could probably use a calming presence on the ball in MF), Hyndman (who's 23 y/o and still firmly glued to ATL's bench), and Alex Mendez (who isn't starting for Jong Ajaz and had his expectations come back down to reality after a 'meh' U20).

Paxton is having a somewhat productive year for a fairly young player, but he also gets to play with a PSG transfer target and Wayne Rooney. Roldan is a little above average in the league too. Nagbe's still a decent two way player, but in the final third he's somehow below average.

Everyone light a candle tonight and say a little prayer that Gio or one of our other young guns abroad make a jump.

At least we should feel good about our backline and GK depth.

I can't believe i'm going to play slight optimist in this thread lol. Parks has started 8 of the last 10. he's cemented his first choice role. Mendez signed for Ajax AFTER the U20 WC so i think if anything his expectations should shoot up. He was injured AFAIK and is now ready to play/

Just those 2 though the rest i agree. Underwhelming.

I can't believe i'm going to play slight optimist in this thread lol. Parks has started 8 of the last 10. he's cemented his first choice role. Mendez signed for Ajax AFTER the U20 WC so i think if anything his expectations should shoot up. He was injured AFAIK and is now ready to play/

Just those 2 though the rest i agree. Underwhelming.

Love the optimism.

My view on Parks:

Parks has been getting more playing time lately, but a lot of it was due to suspensions (Ring), injuries (Maxi, Ring, Sands/Ibeagha [who caused Ring to drop into a back 3], and Ofori), and rest for players after the all-star break (Maxi). Granted, that's the nature of a soccer season I guess. But gun to my head, I think he's the odd man out with a full team.

He's definitely had his moments, but my god there have been games where he's really failed to seize an opportunity -- crapping the bed in the second half against the Red Bulls, 60 minutes a man up vs Colorado, Portland at home...

I have NYCFC seasons and never miss one of their games -- I'd love to see him be a consistent calming presence in our midfield with a bit of a bite on the tackle, but I just haven't seen it yet day in and day out. He goes from looking like a world beater to disappearing too much for my liking. Granted NYCFC's style doesn't always require them to play through him, it'd be nice to see him take advantage of when teams shut down the wings and leave some space around him in the center of the field.

Good news on Mendez though. I had been hearing some negative things from the peanut gallery -- haven't seen him play since the U20s though.

Justing pimping this out:

Friday:
Orlando/Atlanta
Portland/Seattle
Saturday:
NYC/RedBulls
RSL/Colorado
Sunday:
Cincinatti/Columbus
Dallas/Houston
LAFC/LAG

Check a game out.

Justing pimping this out:

Friday:
Orlando/Atlanta
Portland/Seattle
Saturday:
NYC/RedBulls
RSL/Colorado
Sunday:
Cincinatti/Columbus
Dallas/Houston
LAFC/LAG

Check a game out.

I'm looking forward to the two Derbies. LAFC is dominating the league but can't beat LAG just yet. Zlatan the big brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom