USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over

Name an elite soccer player today, who is not also an elite athlete (please don’t harken back to guys like Blanco or Valderamma)? Maybe Iniesta? Guys like him are unicorns though.

David Silva, Juan Mata, Ander Herrera, Thiago Alcantara, Thomas Müller.

Hope this isn't too harsh but focusing so much on athleticism is one of the biggest reasons why the US has lagged behind for so long in quality compared to the rest of the world.

David Silva, Juan Mata, Ander Herrera, Thiago Alcantara, Thomas Müller.

Hope this isn't too harsh but focusing so much on athleticism is one of the biggest reasons why the US has lagged behind for so long in quality compared to the rest of the world.

About 2/3s of Barcelona’s midfield the last decade have not been elite athletes. Do you really consider guys like Busquets elite athletes?

I dont consider any of these guys elite compared to Lebron James or Odell Beckham. But most of these guys are not slouches athletically. Nor are any of these guys upper echelon players in my opinion. Barca is an outlier though. But the core you allude to played together forever, and they were bolstered by elite athletes like Messi, Marcelo, Alves, Suarez, etc. They also never really had to play in the new era of counterpressing and high pressure.

I would consider Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Pogbra, Bale, DeBruyne, Griezmann, Salah, Varane, Hazard, Zlatan, Lewandowski, De Jong, etc. to be elite athletes though, at least for the sport they play. I think Modric is a current outlier.

We shouldnt get too far down the rabbit hole of why US lags. I think/agree that solely prioritizing athleticism at a young age, to the point of not properly developing skills, was (is?) a problem. But on a national team level, we went from a team that out gritted, hustled, and "athleted" our opponents, to a slightly more skilled group that couldnt do any of these things. Hopefully we are now hitting a generation that marries skill with athleticism (Pulisic, Weah, Adams, Sargent, etc). The best national teams right now are the best blend of skill and athleticism.

Anyway, you've made your points, i've made mine.

I watch USA soccer but not the day to day stuff.. Elite or not you really struggle to see US players run by other teams in the spots that they run by our guys.. Pulisac has a nice burst but he has more skills than real elite athleticism

Dest may have won the starting right back job at Ajax today or at least significantly more minutes than I expected.

Nice game from him.

Last edited:
Dest may have won the starting right back job at Ajax today or at least significantly more minutes than I expected.

Nice game from him.

With Yedlin out for awhile Dest can make the starting RB job his for the senior team.

With Yedlin out for awhile Dest can make the starting RB job his for the senior team.

I think it depends on how we want to play. Ajax was having its wingbacks play aggressive offensively but it didn't look like they cared about Dest's defensive responsibilities -- with how strong they are through the spine, not sure I blame them.

if we ever go with a defensive 3-5-2, I could easily see him potentially being more valuable than Yedlin in that RWB/RM role -- I'm just not sold on his defensive acumen if we need a different skill set with him.

He very well could be better defensively than he showed today in a different scheme.

I think it depends on how we want to play. Ajax was having its wingbacks play aggressive offensively but it didn't look like they cared about Dest's defensive responsibilities -- with how strong they are through the spine, not sure I blame them.

if we ever go with a defensive 3-5-2, I could easily see him potentially being more valuable than Yedlin in that RWB/RM role -- I'm just not sold on his defensive acumen if we need a different skill set with him.

He very well could be better defensively than he showed today in a different scheme.

His best defensive game for the U-20's came against France with their attackers who start in Ligue 1. I think Dest will be just fine. More so he needs to get called-up no matter what.

So it sounds like Timo Weah is being slotting in as the No. 10 for Lille and was great this morning -- Thomas Rongen (take it for what it's worth...) is about to have an aneurism over this.

I love this because Pulisic seems to want to play wide, but out of necessity it looked like we were going to need him to play centrally for the US.

If we can get a true 10 and allow our best player to play his best/preferred position, it could be huge for us.

Do you differentiate between a pure #10 (like all the little Argies in MLS) and a SS? I think Weah would be a great second striker playing off Altidore. I'd actually invert them.

As long as it's hello Sargent goodbye Gyasi. Also keep an eye on Andrija Novakovich with Reading this season. Another tall and skilled CF.

Pulling up an old post to say nice call!

Hat trick in his first game with the U23s!

Pulling up an old post to say nice call!

Hat trick in his first game with the U23s!

He's already quite good at that level, if he doesn't get a chance with their first-team they should sell him.

How about ATL taking down Club America...

As someone who really only follows Atlanta United in a vacuum... what’s the significance of that, if any?

How about ATL taking down Club America...

As someone who really only follows Atlanta United in a vacuum... what’s the significance of that, if any?

It's awesome for the ATL fans. Plus Larentowicz hit a banger -- who'd'a guessed that?

It probably won't change much with how popular ATL already is in its market.

Really fun game to watch though.

It's awesome for the ATL fans. Plus Larentowicz hit a banger -- who'd'a guessed that?

It definitely was.. I follow ATL and go to a handful of games every year but was more asking if it has any impact on the view of MLS. I know it’s a growing league but how is it relative to Liga MX?

I’m not sure Atlanta United can get more popular in ATL. The support is unreal. I suppose the more rural folks could join in on the fun and realize there’s more to sports than “the Dawgs”.

Do you differentiate between a pure #10 (like all the little Argies in MLS) and a SS? I think Weah would be a great second striker playing off Altidore. I'd actually invert them.
Great question. Subtle differences based upon formation and role responsibility but I view them largely the same...playing between the lines to both create and play in support of the #9...

Much like 2002 showed that the national team had reached Mexico's level, this victory shows that MLS is getting closer to MX Liga's level.

Great quote by Herrera about MLS:

Getting younger is the first step in the process. Aging stars may boost the box office but do nothing to enhance the quality of the league. Your average player signing is getting younger and more talented.

Much like 2002 showed that the national team had reached Mexico's level, this victory shows that MLS is getting closer to MX Liga's level.

Great quote by Herrera about MLS:

View attachment 168608

Getting younger is the first step in the process. Aging stars may boost the box office but do nothing to enhance the quality of the league. Your average player signing is getting younger and more talented.
Case in point being the first two players Inter Miami has signed. They’re both 19 year old promising Argentinians who they didn’t have to use a DP spot on. I’m sure they’ll still try to splash out on a big older European based player to sell tickets but they hired a GM who helped build Atlanta and he’s trying to do the same thing in Miami so far.

Would anyone complain if we included him in the squad for the friendly September 6th against Mexico? No? Okay good.

Last edited:
Would anyone complain if we included him in the squad for the friendly September 6th against Mexico? No? Okay good.
He was really good at the u-20 WC I would rather this kid get a callup than have a guy like Wondo or Zardes in the lineup.
He should be called up in September or Berthalter is just daring him to leave.

He should be called up in September or Berthalter is just daring him to leave.

I wouldn't worry too much -- the US has spotlighted him in just about every tournament he could participate in over the last three years. I'm not sure if there's a better way that the US could 'show him love' (as our football and basketball 'croots like to say).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom