USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over

McKennie played the full 90 today at home against Bayern. Going to be a tough season for Schalke and it’s crazy how different their side is after being a consistent CL team for the last 5-10 years. He’s their most athletic midfielder and has the highest work rate by far. Made a few nice plays from the 6 position to split pressure and play balls that led to counters. Also gave away a silly foul at the top of the box that was quickly dispatched from the free kick by Lewy for Bayern’s second goal.

It’s a tough game to gauge his quality because they were pinned in their own end for long stretches but he belongs on the field with players from the likes of Bayern. His main problem in the squad is similar to that in the USMNT: Is he a 6 or 8? He often has to play both for Schalke to cover for their deficiencies and it’s oddly similar to his USMNT role.

Berhalter would shoehorn Zardes in there no matter what.

I thought of this post while watching the game on Sunday -- Zardes had a brace, in a nationally televised rivalry game, the week Berhalter will likely announce his roster for our upcoming friendlies.

It'll be interesting to see who we are going to use up top.

Now that Berhalter earned some goodwill with the fans and the team in the Gold Cup, I think he gets to move into the planning phase of the cycle, instead of the initial show-me stage.

- You've got a lot of very 'meh' strikers right now domestically. Zardes, Jozy, and (kinda) Morris who have plenty of USMNT experience. All three seemed to be well liked by the team and I think we see 1 or 2 in camp because
- It's time to start getting Sargent ready even if he's not being used a ton right now at his club. He's our projected 9, let him get used to the camps and pick the brains of some vets that will be vested in his development.
- We're so thin up top, I think you gotta eventually look at Bobby Wood if you are Berhalter. I don't remember him being called in yet.
- I'd let some fringe guys like Boyd, Novakovich, etc who are early-20s and need that club time the most stay home.

It'll be interesting to see what we get.

I thought of this post while watching the game on Sunday -- Zardes had a brace, in a nationally televised rivalry game, the week Berhalter will likely announce his roster for our upcoming friendlies.

It'll be interesting to see who we are going to use up top.

Now that Berhalter earned some goodwill with the fans and the team in the Gold Cup, I think he gets to move into the planning phase of the cycle, instead of the initial show-me stage.

- You've got a lot of very 'meh' strikers right now domestically. Zardes, Jozy, and (kinda) Morris who have plenty of USMNT experience. All three seemed to be well liked by the team and I think we see 1 or 2 in camp because
- It's time to start getting Sargent ready even if he's not being used a ton right now at his club. He's our projected 9, let him get used to the camps and pick the brains of some vets that will be vested in his development.
- We're so thin up top, I think you gotta eventually look at Bobby Wood if you are Berhalter. I don't remember him being called in yet.
- I'd let some fringe guys like Boyd, Novakovich, etc who are early-20s and need that club time the most stay home.

It'll be interesting to see what we get.

Sargent is the future. We know what the rest can do. Time to see the young ginger.

New Roster is out. Blech at Trapp/Roldan/Baird.

However yess at Dest, Pomykal, and Sargent returning. And my boy Jackson Yueill

As an ATL UTD fan, I'm glad to see Miles get the call-up. He has earned it. Could probably use a break.. although he never looks tired on the pitch.
USA! A-T-L! LGO! Go get 'em, Miles!

As an ATL UTD fan, I'm glad to see Miles get the call-up. He has earned it. Could probably use a break.. although he never looks tired on the pitch.
USA! A-T-L! LGO! Go get 'em, Miles!

He’s been crushing it. I actually thought he’d get a break though with ATL’s congested schedule (USOC and Campeones Cup on top of the MLS schedule).

Gotta love the way our defense is shaking up for the foreseeable future.

He’s been crushing it. I actually thought he’d get a break though with ATL’s congested schedule (USOC and Campeones Cup on top of the MLS schedule).

Yes, I agree.

I like the CB's for sure and now with Dest RB looks ok. Still concerned at always with LB. Hopefully Chris Gloster and Antonee Robinson can be the guys eventually.

Josh Sargent with a great effort to put Bremen back in front. Getting his first Bundesliga start of the season.

Last edited:
The good news: We just put another MLS kid at a UCL level club (Johan Gomez - FC Porto)
The bad news: Timo Weah's hammy went 'pop!'

What's everyone thinking for tonight?

Tata's probably going to press our backline pretty hard -- I'm guessing we'll find out who GGG thinks are the best defenders on the ball tonight. If we break the press, expect us going hard at the goal -- can't see us trying to play a possession game. I think heads will explode when Morris or Zardes start because Greg wants their athleticism to find a seam.

Tata's probably going to press our backline pretty hard -- I'm guessing we'll find out who GGG thinks are the best defenders on the ball tonight. If we break the press, expect us going hard at the goal -- can't see us trying to play a possession game. I think heads will explode when Morris or Zardes start because Greg wants their athleticism to find a seam.
Zardes gets the nod with Boyd, Pulisic, and Morales up top. Dest gets the start but not sure if Long and Zimmerman can do the job. 3-1 to Mexico.

Josh Sargent with a great effort to put Bremen back in front. Getting his first Bundesliga start of the season.
Bumping my own post because there’s no way you can take Zardes over him right now. Sargent belongs up front and 20 minutes from Zardes at the end against a tired defense makes so much more sense.

Good god why is Zardes still starting for the national team.
He sucks against any opponent with decent defenders.
D3DEA88F-8BAD-43CB-AFD8-EC2EA7E55320.jpeg

Mexico has an A team lineup.
I am worried with the lineup we are playing.
Unless Pulisic does something special I don’t see the US scoring.
Mexico 2-0 imo. I hope I am wrong.

At least Steffen has been under barrage in goal for Düsseldorf (and playing well) so he’ll be prepared for tonight.

Hope Dest has a good game and we have another LB option.
Need to keep this kid and hope the Dutch don’t call him in.

At least Steffen has been under barrage in goal for Düsseldorf (and playing well) so he’ll be prepared for tonight.

Not if we need to play the ball to his feet like that!

Edit: LOL - Three minutes later he lays off a hospital ball at the top of the 18.

Last edited:
Can we please see Sargent and bench Zardes please.
The guy does nothing on offense against these decent teams.

Berhalter decides to sit Trapp right on top of the defense as an obvious release valve and he continuously makes some of the worst off the ball movements I've seen. Cutting off teammates passing lanes, collapsing his triangles, taking awful angles trying to find space.

It's rare to see a professional this lost on the pitch. It's almost comical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom