USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over

So far in a couple games, Pulisic removed a lot of questions after not even playing 90 minutes total in the last year or so. Nice to see him healthy. I hope he can stay that way.

Weston McKennie is part of the team, period. He's Bradley's replacement in about a year. Bradley still serves a purpose to instill some toughness in these young guys.

Tyler Boyd, the New Zealand dual citizen, is a very good right winger and takes a nice set piece. He is in the mix until further notice. Glad we have him.

Walker Zimmerman has looked the part defensively. He and John Brooks and who else? Aaron Long had a great night, but I don't think we've seen enough of him yet.

Paul Arriola has really grown as a player, and although he might not be the kind of guy who is going to start on a Premier League team, he fits with what they're trying to do pretty well and is growing in stature and confidence.

You have to figure DeAndre Yedlin is still the first choice at right back, if he can stay healthy long enough to show Berhalter what he can do. Tim Weah is also going to be in the mix on this team, once qualifying gets underway.

There are a bunch of guys who are possibles, but have nothing locked down:

Midfielders: Sebastian Lletget, Kenny Saief, Kellyn Acosta, Tyler Adams and Djorde Mihailovic seem to make up the ones I'd like to see more of.

Attacking players: Josh Sergeant, Julian Green (I guess ...), Jordan Morris had a good game, Zardes showed composure on that first goal, which really helped his confidence. Altidore is still the best we've got. I don't see Bobby Moore as more than a guy to run at tired defenders in the last 20 minutes.

Defenders: Matt Miazga is still so young, he just needs coaching. But boy, he was terrible in those friendlies. Is there still a place for Omar Gonzalez? Maybe. I have a hard time seeing Tim Ream still being a starter on this team a year from now. There's that young center back on the U23 team that looks really impressive. We have to keep an eye out for him.

Zach Steffen makes stops but I'm still not sold on him for what Berhalter wants to do. Can he play it out from the back with his feet? He throws a decent outlet pass. Bill Hamid still seems like a better shot stopper to me. We'll see if he gets a chance.

Tonight went just about perfect after the first 30 minutes. Panama will be another step up in the next game. When is that, Tuesday night?

I wonder if he's going to rest Pulisic and McKennie, since they are both coming off injuries, and we are through to the knock out rounds.
T&T is terrible. Personally, I think Guyana is better.

So, what did we learn?

No changes to the starting 11. That, in and of itself, was interesting, No change to formation either.

Defensively, approach was the same. 4 at the back with 3 centerbacks and Bradley sitting in front providing cover. We continued to press high to recover the ball in the final 3rd when we turned it over. I remain concerned about our ability to deal with counterattacks with only 3 + Bradley at the back and 2 of the 3 playing wide.

Offensively, ah, now that was a completely different story.

Pulisic was slotted on the left in front of Arriola but , instead of staying left, as he did versus Guyana, Pulisic was given license to roam into the middle of the field. He absolutely wreaked havoc. I much prefer him on the left with license to roam as opposed to slotting him at the 10 in the middle of the park. Much tougher to deal with him. It also made us much less predictable as T&T could never be sure what he was going to do.

Lima stayed high and wide on the right allowing Boyd the freedom to cut inside. I think Boyd is a keeper. I think he, Pulisic & McKinnie are givens.

T&T's centerbacks did not man mark Zardes the way Guyana did, allowing Zardes to be more effective cutting between the lines to serve as an outlet since he was not under pressure when he received the ball. Despite his two goals, I still think Altidore is a better option up top.

Panama should prove a tougher test.

Not overly excited to see this lineup. High on Cannon though.
Just get a draw so we can play Curacao in the QFs.
I am glad we are giving some guys rest for the quick turnaround and hope Altidore shows what he has.
Don’t like Morris though(watch him get a goal)

Hope to see some inspirational play from an otherwise uninspiring starting XI...

Just get a draw so we can play Curacao in the QFs.
I am glad we are giving some guys rest for the quick turnaround and hope Altidore shows what he has.
Don’t like Morris though(watch him get a goal)
Morris showed so much at one time, but just completely Biff's on too many occasions for me

Morris showed so much at one time, but just completely Biff's on too many occasions for me
I’ll give Morris this his hustle and press gave the US a good scoring chance that Lewis wasted.

I’ll give Morris this his hustle and press gave the US a good scoring chance that Lewis wasted.

Eh, Mihailovic needed to put that ball in front of Lewis. Good hustle by Morris on that play.

Omar Gonzalez is the 5th best CB in our pool.

Long/Zimmerman clearly on this roster are the best so it is smart to rest them.

CCV and Brooks are the best we got IMO.
Mizaga needs work as well.

Omar Gonzalez is the 5th best CB in our pool.

Long/Zimmerman clearly on this roster are the best so it is smart to rest them.

CCV and Brooks are the best we got IMO.
Mizaga needs work as well.
I just appreciate Miazga’s athleticism and attitude and still think he has a place going forward. He’s not afraid to mix it up.

At this point I’d rather see Chris Richards at CB than Omar. Atleast he’s young and athletic.

If Lovitz is subbed at the half I wouldn’t be upset. Apart from draw a couple fouls from his Montreal Impact teammate, he hasn’t done much on the left. His crosses aren’t threatening at all.

Glad the ref didn’t call another phantom foul on Miazga for winning a header. Nice work all around and solid finish. Good for Jozy he definitely loves playing for this team.

Hope to see some inspirational play from an otherwise uninspiring starting XI...
That lineup was absolutely the smart thing to do if you want to have the legs to get to, and win, the final.

In fact, if our second 11 can't beat Curacao, we have real issues.

If I'm Berhalter, I trot out the same 11 and save my starting 11 for the semis and finals. He won't do that but he should.

Panama also man-marked Trapp, forcing him to drop behind the centerbacks to receive the ball. No way to initiate from that deep. This forces the centerbacks to initiate. Do we have a center back on the roster or in the country who is comfortable playing the play-making role of a deep-laying 6 because, so far, I haven't seen it.

Makes it clear why Berhalter wants a right back who can also initiate, You cannot man-mark both. I like Trapp when he can get on the ball but they pretty much marked him out of the game last night. Perhaps a pairing with Adams would allow Trapp to see more of the ball. I liked what Trapp did with the ball the few times he was able to receive it up the field without a guy stuck to him like glue.

It also provides more cover for the inevitably numerous turnovers in the middle of the field. I think pushing the right back far up the field and leaving the 3 centerbacks and the 6 to defend the counter is suicide. The teams we have played so far are really poor and couldn't make us pay. I think Mexico will absolutely shred us if we try to play this way against them. We just turn the ball over in dangerous areas way too much.

I hate to say it but Zardes has to start. Jozy just cannot go the full 90 yet. At full-fitness, it is a no-brainer that Jozy starts. Look at the difference between his hold-up play and Zardes. Zardes had one opportunity to hold-up play last night and he got knocked right off the ball, just like against Guyana. Nobody is knocking Altidore off the ball without fouling him. Altidore HAS to be more clinical at finishing. That left-footed shot right at the keeper had to be in the back of the net.

Man, our crosses are awful. It doesn't seem to matter who is delivering them, we simply cannot cross the ball. It is a problem.

I did NOT like bringing Pulisic into the game while it was still level. You saw what Panama did to him the moment he broke away into space. That foul is a yellow card anywhere in the world except in Concacaf. You simply cannot put your best player at risk in a meaningless game with the poor refereeing that we see here in Concacaf. If I'm Chelsea, I'm livid. Berhalter has to be smarter in this regard. You shouldn't have to bring on your only world-class player to beat Panama. I literally held my breathe everytime he touched the ball.

The reality is that none of the 3 teams on our side of the bracket have any business beating us and I think we can get away with the formation and tactics we have been using.

If we do get to the final and see either Mexico or Costa Rica, I will be interested to see if Berhalter adjusts and, if not, whether we can actually play a halfway-decent team that way. I don't think we can.

That lineup was absolutely the smart thing to do if you want to have the legs to get to, and win, the final.

In fact, if our second 11 can't beat Curacao, we have real issues.

Always appreciate your input — but too many times we see CONCACAF bunkering and Gold Cup refereeing combine to create chaos in this tournament.

It’d be my preference to send out our best 11 and use two early subs with the game in hand.

I really want to see us win this tournament more than usual (even if I did fall asleep reading to the kids before this game — D’oh!). I think it would go a long way re-energizing our fan base and instilling some confidence in our new manager.

Always appreciate your input — but too many times we see CONCACAF bunkering and Gold Cup refereeing combine to create chaos in this tournament.

It’d be my preference to send out our best 11 and use two early subs with the game in hand.

I really want to see us win this tournament more than usual (even if I did fall asleep reading to the kids before this game — D’oh!). I think it would go a long way re-energizing our fan base and instilling some confidence in our new manager.
GB has quieted enough for me and the Missouri”Show me” critics.

We aren’t world beaters but we can be the Seton Hall of world soccer under him.
That is fine for me now until are young talent develops.
Being Seton Hall means make the tournament(World Cup) compete and depending on the draw don’t be shocked at group level exit.

We aren’t likely winning this Gold Cup unless our forwards play a lot better.
Which is fine getting the final is all that should be expected this Cup.
The conferations Cup got scrapped by FIFA for an enhanced club World Cup in 2021 so winning this isn’t that important now.
Just develop these players and create chemistry among them.

GB has quieted enough for me and the Missouri”Show me” critics.

We aren’t world beaters but we can be the Seton Hall of world soccer under him.
That is fine for me now until are young talent develops.
Being Seton Hall means make the tournament(World Cup) compete and depending on the draw don’t be shocked at group level exit.

We aren’t likely winning this Gold Cup unless our forwards play a lot better.
Which is fine getting the final is all that should be expected this Cup.
The conferations Cup got scrapped by FIFA for an enhanced club World Cup in 2021 so winning this isn’t that important now.
Just develop these players and create chemistry among them.

I think Berhalter has shown the way they want to play, but the players have to spend more time together, and a few of them have to step up. I see about 6 or 7 guys who I think are worthy of being starters on the team, but there are a lot of places still up for grabs on this team, before we start the World Cup qualification process again.

I just want the national team to be a capable of a real run in 2026 at home.

Develop players for 2026 WC in the USA.
With HFA barring an insanely hard draw in the knockout rounds we should be expected to make the QF or SF in that WC.

Look at the turnaround times. There is very little recovery time. You send out your best 11 every game, they would have no legs and likely pick up some injuries...

You have to go into your bench in this tournament...

Actually, you have to go into your bench to win any of these tournaments. The turnaround times are just simply too short to be able to trot your best 11 out there every single game - especially in the heat of summer...

I just want the national team to be a capable of a real run in 2026 at home.

No way. Never happen. If you get a really, really favorable draw, maybe you get to quarters or even, God Forbid, semis.

But if we are in the group of death or run into a powerhouse out of the group stage, we are finished.

To win the World cup, you need 11 guys the caliber of Pulisic...We have one.

No way. Never happen. If you get a really, really favorable draw, maybe you get to quarters or even, God Forbid, semis.

But if we are in the group of death or run into a powerhouse out of the group stage, we are finished.

To win the World cup, you need 11 guys the caliber of Pulisic...We have one.
At that point though we should ideally have 4. (Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Brooks). We were a Wondo whiff from the QF in 2014. My biggest worry might just be at keeper. Tim Howard covered up for so many mistakes over the last 10 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom