USMNT soccer team thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Ream could be headed to QPR. Sadly, they got relegated last season and are in Championship division.
Johannsson is in talks with Werder Bremen. They finished middle table in Bundesliga so this would be a good spot for him.

I just want Julian Green and Gedion Zelalem get loaned out and get first team football.

i follow just enough soccer to follow the national teams.. can someone explain why the US is putting billions into soccer from youth on up and has world class athletes in almost every sport under the sun, but in the 40+ years since Pele got it going in the US have we produced one really solid soccer player? we have tons of track guys in the us, yet have no quality players with speed, tons of big fball/bbal players but no really solid Dbacks. about all i see is a couple nice positional players in bradley/dempsey but not super athletic and we create some solid goalies?

i follow just enough soccer to follow the national teams.. can someone explain why the US is putting billions into soccer from youth on up and has world class athletes in almost every sport under the sun, but in the 40+ years since Pele got it going in the US have we produced one really solid soccer player? we have tons of track guys in the us, yet have no quality players with speed, tons of big fball/bbal players but no really solid Dbacks. about all i see is a couple nice positional players in bradley/dempsey but not super athletic and we create some solid goalies?

Main reason IMO, is that it has not been looked to as a sport that top athletes play in the US. I think that is starting to change. The best athletes have traditionally played football, basketball, or baseball. Whereas in Europe, soccer is THE sport. Can you imagine if half or more of the NFL and NBA athletes grew up in soccer culture?

Another main reason is youth development is not near what it is in Europe. It is getting better though. The system is just set up totally different, children are identified at very young ages and are brought through the professional club's youth development programs in Europe. While, here in the US most kids play on a high school team, a local travel club etc. Compeition is not nearly as good and talent isnt identified nearly as well/early. Coaching is also lacking.

Money is the main reason IMO. US athletes can't make as much money playing soccer in the USA than they can playing in Europe. US top athletes would need to move overseas and live in Europe if they want to make the most money. If MLS became a top 5 league it would help the sport in the USA.
Also, the academies in Europe get kids when they are young and they go to school and train with their team. All we need is a few Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore's to develop.

Somehow we rose 5 slots in the FIFA rankings after placing 4th in the Gold Cup. Mexico hopped us up to 26th and we are 29th.

I know, these rankings are a joke.

We rose because the Gold Cup were competitive matches. Since we won 2 games, drew 2 games, and lost 1 game. Those matches raised our score on the FIFA scale. Winning that Meixco game is huge since we would get into the Confederations Cup.

We rose because the Gold Cup were competitive matches. Since we won 2 games, drew 2 games, and lost 1 game. Those matches raised our score on the FIFA scale. Winning that Meixco game is huge since we would get into the Confederations Cup.
Saw Alvarado scored the opening goal in his club America concacaf champions league game. Off a corner.

Hope Alvarado continues growing Club America is one of the top teams in Mexico. It is good he is getting first team minutes on that team.

Timmy Chandler's Bundesliga manager wants him to stop playing for the USA. LOL what an ahole manager.

75th minute and Cameron has been marking Benteke on all set pieces, shutting him down. Some nice one on one take always as well.

Thought stoke played even or maybe better than Liverpool today, but Coutinho had a beautiful hit of the ball late in the game for the lead and eventual win at 1-0.

US needs to field an XI of all players that start in the top 5-7 Euro leagues. I love MLS and think growth will come but for the USMNT to be competitive at a World Cup level they simply need guys playing at the highest club level.

Count me out on Jordan Morris until he plays somewhere other than Stanford. He could be good but he's not in an environment of constant challenge that will promote his growth as a player.

Young prospects I like: Matt Miazga (NYRB, CB), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht, FW), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham, CM).

Long way away would be Christian Pulisic who's at Dortmund. Supposedly he's got world class potential the senior staff at Dortmund are watching his development.

So we got what 3 Americans playing the EPL? Cameron-Stoke, Guzan-Aston Villa, Howard-Everton.

Zelalem needs to be loaned out unless he will be a squad player for Arsenal.

Fabian Johnson, torn hamstring...
There goes one of our starting XI versus Mexico.
If Yesdlin doesn't get any PT with Tottenham we lose his potential to start as Johnson's replacement. Demarcus Beasley May be needed more now than ever without Johnson.

Sounds like he will be in a critical role which is good. Also will be good to play against grown men. He needs to get stronger.
Scottish League might be the only more physical league than the EPL. So yeah matching the physicality against men will help his development. Also, Wenger appears to personally like this kid which is good.

Tim Howard and Beasley are back with the team for now.
I love JK made him the #2 and rewarded Guzan for playing this summer. I think each will start 1 game or each play 1 half of each game versus Peru/Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.