USMNT soccer team thread | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Future of the goalie position

Does Hamid or Cropper get a look at before next WC and if not, who is coming up behind them?

Zack Steffen is a name to watch. Went to Freiburg in Germany but just wasn't adapting well to living abroad etc. Now starts for Columbus Crew. Maybe 22 I think. He'll eventually head back to Europe.

do we have any other striker types other than woods coming along? how much longer Altidore and Dempsey can carry the load is to be decided.

Rubio Rubin is an outside option. Played I think two seasons at Utrecht in Netherlands. Fell off and now is with a club in Denmark. Turned 21 in March.

Nothing to do with the US but Giuseppe Rossi blew out his ACL on his left knee after three serious injuries on his right knee.

Such a shame. This kid was so good and had so much potential but his knee injuries have robbed him of his ability to live up to that potential.

Watched his comeback with Fiorentina after his 3rd and it was clear he just wasn't the same player...

This is what I worry about with a kid like Pulisic. Hopefully, the kid stays injury-free...

Unified WC 2026 bid. Thoughts?
US did this for political reasons.
North America was getting 2026.
Uruguay/Argentina are getting 2030.
With the Cup field being 48 in 2026 it allows a tri-host.
USA would host 60 matches
Mexico and Canada would get 10 each.
Final at JerryWorld.
Semis at Rose Bowl and MetLife.
All matches from QFs in USA.

As long as Europe is on board this will happen.

Unified WC 2026 bid. Thoughts?

Love it. I turned 13 summer of '94 so I couldn't go on my own, obviously. I've been waiting for the Cup on our soil for years... I'm in.

Question is... what venues this time around?

US did this for political reasons.
North America was getting 2026.
Uruguay/Argentina are getting 2030.
With the Cup field being 48 in 2026 it allows a tri-host.
USA would host 60 matches
Mexico and Canada would get 10 each.
Final at JerryWorld.
Semis at Rose Bowl and MetLife.
All matches from QFs in USA.

As long as Europe is on board this will happen.

Is this directly from the bid, or just speculation?

Is this directly from the bid, or just speculation?
The Final is either NYC or Dallas.
The semifinals will come from Rose Bowl, MetLife and Jerryworld.

I am guessing JerryWorld for the Final because it's in the middle of the country compared to LA and NYC and it's the largest facility.

The Final is either NYC or Dallas.
The semifinals will come from Rose Bowl, MetLife and Jerryworld.

I am guessing JerryWorld for the Final because it's in the middle of the country compared to LA and NYC and it's the largest facility.

Wonder if there will be backlash because of the "artificial pitch" stadiums and lack of natural grass surfaces.

Wonder if there will be backlash because of the "artificial pitch" stadiums and lack of natural grass surfaces.

Everything has to be played on natural grass.

Jones freelances too much. Klinsmann was willing to give him that freedom.

I don't think Arena will which is why I'm interested to see what he does.

Part of being caught in possession is also having teammates who are not moving to get open...

What we've seen is that you can't play both Jones and Bradley as holding mids. They are both tough, but both are limited offensively, and Jones is a card waiting to happen, as much as Bradley is a turnover waiting to happen. We will still see one of them start, IMO, because they are tough in the tackle and break up play well. Qualifying in CONCACAF is always a rock fight.

There have been a few players that are really making a push to be added to the depth chart this MLS season, which is nice to see.

CJ Sapong has had a few really nice games this year. With the injury issues we can't seem to shake upfront, I wouldn't mind seeing him get called into some camps to have a closer look.

Jonathan Spector is looking solid for OCSC as well as Ike Opara for SKC. Our Dallas duo continues to play well too.

I don't think we have any break-out players who will be pushing for meaningful minutes yet this year, but it's nice to see some US internationals playing at a very high level in the league.

On a side note, I'd love to see Adi get a shot with Nigeria (he'd obviously be a depth player right now) and Mearam to return to the Iraqi team. Both have been a lot of fun to watch.

There have been a few players that are really making a push to be added to the depth chart this MLS season, which is nice to see.

CJ Sapong has had a few really nice games this year. With the injury issues we can't seem to shake upfront, I wouldn't mind seeing him get called into some camps to have a closer look.

Jonathan Spector is looking solid for OCSC as well as Ike Opara for SKC. Our Dallas duo continues to play well too.

I don't think we have any break-out players who will be pushing for meaningful minutes yet this year, but it's nice to see some US internationals playing at a very high level in the league.

On a side note, I'd love to see Adi get a shot with Nigeria (he'd obviously be a depth player right now) and Mearam to return to the Iraqi team. Both have been a lot of fun to watch.

Dom Dwyer for SKC got his citizenship. Might get a shot at the gold cup.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...nver-for-venezuela-trinidad-mexico-qualifiers

U.S. MNT Roster By Position (Club; WCQ Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (4): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 13/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 0/0), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids; 35/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (11): DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo; 33/6), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City; 11/1), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin/GER; 3/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG; 20/2), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt/GER; 3/0), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca/MEX; 14/0), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas; 0/0), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 4/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 2/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 6/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City; 17/3)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; 2/0), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana/MEX; 2/1), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union; 8/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 33/6), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 15/1), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers; 5/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 7/3)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 36/16), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC; 38/18), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 3/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 8/4)

hot take:

- 300 million people in this country and Beasley and Villafana are our left backs...
- Because I'm high on the FC Dallas back line, I find it interesting that Hedges got the call up over him. Not much separates the two.
- I am surprised Zusi continues to be in Arena's plans for this team. Luckily Yedlin and Chandler seem to be playing well for their clubs.

Last edited:
hot take:

- 300 million people in this country and Beasley and Villafana are our left backs...
- Because I'm high on the FC Dallas back line, I find it interesting that Hedges got the call up over him. Not much separates the two.
- I am surprised Zusi continues to be in Arena's plans for this team. Luckily Yedlin and Chandler seem to be playing well for their clubs.

LB is 100% our weakest position. We have Villafaña, Beasley, Garza, Lichaj, and some young MLSers that I can't think of. We will see Villafaña in both games unless Bruce decides to play Fabian Johnson back there, but I don't think he will. Chandler and Yedlin both at RB doubt he tries one of them on the left either. Lichaj might get a shot at the gold cup to make a move into the squad.

Hedges got injured in January camp so maybe they want a longer look at him, the roster will need to be trimmed to 23.

I'm surprised at Zusi as well not sure what he brings other than a familiar face. Bruce will say versatility, but he can't play RB. Chandler has been playing a lot at wingback and right midfield, and doing so very well in the Bundesliga. I think I prefer Yedlin though, he hasn't been with the national team in a while.

Interested to see if he sticks with Jozy and Dempsey up top or gives Wood a shot. No Jermaine Jones, will be interesting to see who pairs with Bradley, my guess is Acosta unless we go with a diamond. Then, it may be:
------------Pulisic---------
Johnson------------Nagbe/Acosta
------------Bradley---------

LB is 100% our weakest position. We have Villafaña, Beasley, Garza, Lichaj, and some young MLSers that I can't think of. We will see Villafaña in both games unless Bruce decides to play Fabian Johnson back there, but I don't think he will. Chandler and Yedlin both at RB doubt he tries one of them on the left either. Lichaj might get a shot at the gold cup to make a move into the squad.

Hedges got injured in January camp so maybe they want a longer look at him, the roster will need to be trimmed to 23.

I'm surprised at Zusi as well not sure what he brings other than a familiar face. Bruce will say versatility, but he can't play RB. Chandler has been playing a lot at wingback and right midfield, and doing so very well in the Bundesliga. I think I prefer Yedlin though, he hasn't been with the national team in a while.

Interested to see if he sticks with Jozy and Dempsey up top or gives Wood a shot. No Jermaine Jones, will be interesting to see who pairs with Bradley, my guess is Acosta unless we go with a diamond. Then, it may be:
------------Pulisic---------
Johnson------------Nagbe/Acosta
------------Bradley---------

Dempsey won't play 90 in both games. I see him as a late sub against Trinidad to save his legs for Mexico.

Starting XI:

Howard: Colorado: MLS
Yedlin: Newcastle: BPL
Bradley: Toronto: MLS
Brooks: Wolfsburg: Bundesliga
Dempsey: Seattle: MLS
Wood: HSV: Bundesliga
Pulisic: Dortmund: Bundesliga
Nagbe: Portland: MLS
Villfaña: Santos: Liga MX
Cameron: Stoke: BPL
Johnson: Monchengladbach: Bundesliga

My guess at formation:

--------Wood----Dempsey----
-------------Pulisic------------
Nagbe--------------------Johnson
-------------Bradley-----------
Villa--Brooks--Cameron--Yedlin

Starting XI:

Howard: Colorado: MLS
Yedlin: Newcastle: BPL
Bradley: Toronto: MLS
Brooks: Wolfsburg: Bundesliga
Dempsey: Seattle: MLS
Wood: HSV: Bundesliga
Pulisic: Dortmund: Bundesliga
Nagbe: Portland: MLS
Villfaña: Santos: Liga MX
Cameron: Stoke: BPL
Johnson: Monchengladbach: Bundesliga

My guess at formation:

--------Wood----Dempsey----
-------------Pulisic------------
Nagbe--------------------Johnson
-------------Bradley-----------
Villa--Brooks--Cameron--Yedlin

Only players that havent played at a top 4 league in Europe is Nagbe and Villafaña

Only players that havent played at a top 4 league in Europe is Nagbe and Villafaña
I would only play the starters 45 minutes. You don't want to risk injury for the World Cup qualifier games next week. The United States needs three points against Trinidad and Tobago. At Mexico the USA is just praying for a draw.

I would only play the starters 45 minutes. You don't want to risk injury for the World Cup qualifier games next week. The United States needs three points against Trinidad and Tobago. He

Arena said he will utilize all 6 available substitutions. Surprised Wood is starting because he was having knee issues at the end of the season, hopefully he is an early sub. Will need his work rate vs. Mexico. I would guess Dempsey and Pulisic will come off early as well.

This is the first time in a while our squad is full strength, but will definitely be tough as always at Azteca

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.