USMNT soccer team thread | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whistle???

Edit: about time. Wonder had Mexico played it into the box rather than back if they would have waited for a clear to call final time? Strange decision to drop the ball back, IMO. But I don't mind it.

Anyone else find themselves screaming at Jozy for walking back on that last possession after only coming on in like the 78th minute?

Good result. We get that early red card and I continue drinking after the game tonight!

I feel like this is a stupid question but why do we keep bombing the ball 3/4 way down the field if we can never maintain possession?...ever.

I feel like this is a stupid question but why do we keep bombing the ball 3/4 way down the field if we can never maintain possession?...ever.
Just give the D a chance move up a play a higher line. That invites Mexico into playing into offsides traps which they did several time.

The last 15 minutes the USA played all defensive and for the draw.

One of the best defensive efforts I have seen from the US. Mexico had a ton of possession in our half ( even our third) yet very few good scoring chances. The limited times we did get on the attack we looked dangerous. A few good scoring chances and several corners earned.

Not starting Howard is a big mistake

I was not impressed by Howard against Trinidad. Yes, he got a clean sheet, but he was hardly convincing.

Apparently Villafaña has an injury so I can see Beasley, but Ream over Brooks?

Brooks is very talented, but he has real lapses of concentration. It's hard to trust him in big games, IMO. He's like the National team's version of David Luiz.

Yedlin is getting abused this half. The back line needs help and quick.

He's not getting any cover from the winger. He is defending against 2-on-1 overlaps the entire half.

One of the best defensive efforts I have seen from the US. Mexico had a ton of possession in our half ( even our third) yet very few good scoring chances. The limited times we did get on the attack we looked dangerous. A few good scoring chances and several corners earned.

Only 1 shot on goal. And on the goal, Cameron didn't pick up the guy with the ball after he cut inside. Other than that, I thought Cameron was excellent.

Brooks is very talented, but he has real lapses of concentration. It's hard to trust him in big games, IMO. He's like the National team's version of David Luiz.

Ream did play a good game, but even with Brooks mental lapses he plays at a much higher level than Ream. But hey those three CBs worked last night so I'll take it

I'll take Howard any day anywhere over Guzan, who is not very inspiring IMO

I would like to see someone new get a chance before Russia. There's that new young keeper who plays in Mexico who is about to announce / cap tie for the US. I don't remember his name offhand, but they mentioned him on the broadcast.

Ream did play a good game, but even with Brooks mental lapses he plays at a much higher level than Ream. But hey those three CBs worked last night so I'll take it

I do like the 3 at the back. It helps us cover for individual shortcomings among some of the center backs, who are very experienced, by the way. It also does cover for our fullbacks. By making them wingbacks in a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, they are also not as exposed by talented wingers on the defensive side. Overall, I really like that system for us going forward. We seemed more solid, despite the occasional lapses.

Only 1 shot on goal. And on the goal, Cameron didn't pick up the guy with the ball after he cut inside. Other than that, I thought Cameron was excellent.

I don't know -- I still don't like how Beasley played that counter.

You can't rely on your defense to sprint 90 yards from the other box, end up in a position to support you after you force the man with the ball into a dangerous position.

So first, I still don't believe Beasley made the right play giving Vela so much space to allow him to cut-in centrally. There's always chaos on defense when getting caught on a counter, I'm not sure why he assumed that any support would be available for him when half the team was chasing Mexico's 4 v 3 break.

I also don't know how he doesn't go in with a stronger tackle when he makes his move. I get that he's a very small player, but there's no reasonable shot he has at the ball when he makes his initial lunge, so his best play is at least to disrupt Vela's movement and knock him off balance. Instead Vela gets two yards of separation and from 20 yards out, it's target practice for these guys.

But like I said, it's chaos on counters, you can probably find 20 faults on that play.

I don't know -- I still don't like how Beasley played that counter.

You can't rely on your defense to sprint 90 yards from the other box, end up in a position to support you after you force the man with the ball into a dangerous position.

So first, I still don't believe Beasley made the right play giving Vela so much space to allow him to cut-in centrally. There's always chaos on defense when getting caught on a counter, I'm not sure why he assumed that any support would be available for him when half the team was chasing Mexico's 4 v 3 break.

I also don't know how he doesn't go in with a stronger tackle when he makes his move. I get that he's a very small player, but there's no reasonable shot he has at the ball when he makes his initial lunge, so his best play is at least to disrupt Vela's movement and knock him off balance. Instead Vela gets two yards of separation and from 20 yards out, it's target practice for these guys.

But like I said, it's chaos on counters, you can probably find 20 faults on that play.
On the Vela goal it was great transition from Ochoa then horrible defending by Beasley with Guzan taking a horrible angle. Guzan's position gave Vela that short corner.

Guzan should have known he was a strong left foot and played him to that side.

i thought the camera angle showed the only place he really could shoot was that lower corner and thats the spot the goalie left wide open. same for the shot that went off the cross bar late. he left that spot that was probably the only shot that could be made.. good for us it was such a tough shot..

Bradley had more room on his if he elevated it he could have shot it 3-4 ft more on goal.

I haven't seen him play but he's young and improving, he has good size at 6-3. Holden thinks he could be the next generation keeper for the US and he's only 22, I believe. His FC Dallas team is unbeaten in six games. He has let in a fair amount of goals, but his saves to goals ratio isn't too bad. So far this season in 11 games he has let in only 9 goals (anytime you're under a goal a game that's pretty good) and he has 25 saves and no red cards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.