USMNT soccer team thread | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT soccer team thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Rafa Beneitz have it still?

I think that guy is on his last major club chance at Newcastle.

If US soccer wanted a name he could be a guy.

I doubt any in demand coach in Europe will take the job.

That's not a half-bad idea. Newcastle isn't making the player investment he was promised, so he is very likely to leave after this year. His style would suit our talent base.

Just because I talk strongly doesn’t mean I think I am all knowing and always right.

That is just my style comes across and I don’t act like I am always right. Whenever I am wrong I eat it and don’t deny it when it’s proven to me.

Ok..fair enough...I'll accept that...

After hearing all the rants and reading the articles...it still goes back to one thought I had while watching the game.

Down 2-1 and frantically needing a goal, we looked at our bench and started warming up BENNY FEILHABER AND WONDO.

And as much as I hate on Wondo, it's not his fault. He's a great MLS player and a fine B/C team player, but we saw him fail in the World Cup 3 years ago. Why is he on the team? Why was there no one else to replace him? Why are we playing the same retreads? Do the younger guys suck or do these coaches just get stuck on their same crutches?

Forget about this game or even the hex. Do we want to win or do we want to get by? Sure feels like me they are/were happy just getting by. Sucks.

After hearing all the rants and reading the articles...it still goes back to one thought I had while watching the game.

Down 2-1 and frantically needing a goal, we looked at our bench and started warming up BENNY FEILHABER AND WONDO.

And as much as I hate on Wondo, it's not his fault. He's a great MLS player and a fine B/C team player, but we saw him fail in the World Cup 3 years ago. Why is he on the team? Why was there no one else to replace him? Why are we playing the same retreads? Do the younger guys suck or do these coaches just get stuck on their same crutches?

Forget about this game or even the hex. Do we want to win or do we want to get by? Sure feels like me they are/were happy just getting by. Sucks.

The younger guys don't suck. It's strange that we went with the same retreads this cycle. I almost wonder if when some of the new experiments didn't work out, especially on the backline, the coaches decided to give up. Hedges and Zimmerman looked to break into the fold, and they crashed and burned (unfortunately, it's followed them to their club as well, they were great last year, this year pretty 'meh'). But I really think those failures prevented someone like Ike Opara or Matt Miazga, who both seemed like they should have at least gotten a look, from getting the call.

But the outside back situation is baffling. Run DMB and Zusi got called in because they used to get called in. There are better fullbacks on half of our domestic teams than those two and half of those players are American. It was unconscionable to keep calling them up.

The talent is there to get out of CONCACAF, but we never had a system this cycle. Once our box to box midfielders fell off (due to age) we lost our identity. We had skillful midfielders, but they looked like they had no direction or gameplan and that's why I believe we constantly looked lost going forward this cycle.

One thing that I think gets completely overlooked too often in this game is knowing how to play in a system. James is almost the perfect example of this. I believe he is probably one of the top-10 most skilled players in the world today, but at times he is so comically out of position at RM that his teammates literally don't know how to play with him. I believe it is holding him back from joining the best of the best in today's game.

It's kinda like the US. We have a lot of talent, but we didn't know what to do with it. Nagbe was constantly lost with the ball, Bradley couldn't dictate a game when he needed to, our forwards didn't know how to play off of the midfield, it was a disaster. To be honest, I don't know if anyone knew what their role truly was on the team.

The pay to play is obviously an overarching problem, but I really think that it has a root cause that's deeper than just pay to play, which I was alluding to in my previous posts.

Right now the elite player development system in the US is the US Soccer Development Academy. It's a network of approximately 200-250 clubs (150 for boys, about half as many planned for girls). About 10 years ago, this 'Academy' was spearheaded by USSoccer and the MLS to start a youth player development program. The teams all have squads for the common youth levels (I don't remember exactly what the levels are, but think U-11, U-12, U-15, U-17, etc.).

The great thing about the changes to US Youth Soccer under the USSDA is that it's changed the elite youth development leagues from leagues that focus on traveling to play multiple games every weekend to teams that focus on training and tactics and play 2-3 games per month.

These teams have dedicated coaches, staff, required trainings for coaches, etc. When people say "the MLS doesn't develop players", well its this Academy system that is developing them, it's where Josh Sargent, Christian Pulisic, Deandre Yedlin, Weston McKennie, etc came through.

The issue is that it's expensive. Full coaching staffs, long travel when there are games, equipment, field rentals, and the like all add up. In most countries, clubs will have academies that can absorb these costs because the domestic league is supported and teams see a return on their investment in youth development. People show up for games, people turn on the TV, and investing in these youth programs is profitable for the league. If you look at the way that people are discussing the league here, it's obvious that is not the case in the US. Andrea Pirlo can go from starting in a Champions League final against Real Madrid and two months later be playing in the MLS and people will still say 'retirement league'. They also don't ever recognize we have players that are starting for Belgium in major tournaments, playing for Spain, the guy that knocked Paraguay out of the world cup last night is an MLSer, there's a player starting for England's U-21 team, there have been 5 or 6 other starters in COMNEBOL and UEFA qualifiers as well.

There is a truly legitimate system in place. It's only been around for 10 years, so we are just hitting our stride with it right now, but until people decide to invest in the domestic sport, nothing's going to change. Yes, Twellman is right -- there are systematic changes that need to be made, but we are trying to put 20,000+ of the best young soccer players in the nation into a true development program. It's just that currently there's no way to fund it until our domestic league becomes more successful and has those funds to prop up more than just the US development academies.

That's why I'm on here ranting about people trashing our domestic league and that's why I push people to watch the MLS, because the pundits can rant and rave about changes that need to be made, but until there are funds to make those changes expect the status quo.

I'll leave with this -- yes, there are some bad teams in the MLS. But try turning on a game, even if it's just to watch the better teams. Atlanta plays a style of soccer that is extremely enjoyable to watch, yes you'll have to watch Jeff Larentowicz trap a ball 5 yards out of bounds every now and then, but this team is putting 70K+ screaming fans into a stadium with an electric atmosphere and it makes for an entertaining 2 hours. Turn on the Red Bulls, they play a high pressure system that I'd love to see the US adopt more of that creates lots of opportunities and scoring chances. They also have a great academy that is producing future US Soccer stars like Tyler Adams and Matt Miazga. Turn on NYCFC. You've probably never seen an American team try to build out of the back. They have young stars on the team like Jack Harrison (currently playing for England who is also a product of the Manchester United system and also and NCAA and Gatorade high school player of the year), Yangel Herrera who is owned by Man City and will be playing at a top-25 club in 3 or 4 years, Ronald Matarita who saved the Panama goal that never was off the line and will likely be in Spain in a few years, Alexander Ring who's like the Boulware equivalent of a center midfielder, etc, etc. I could go on and on about the improving quality of the league.

It's a fun league to follow with great parity, improving play, and soccer is best when experienced locally. Grab a ticket, they're like 10 bucks and bring the family. I guarantee you won't have a bad time, plus you can consider it an investment in our 2034 world cup win.

Edit: That became a wall of text. TL/DR: Pay for play sucks, but there's no other way to fund our academies. More financial success of the domestic league will make it possible for American clubs to invest more in youth. Go out and try a local game. It's fun.

I agree the Academy system is a step in the right direction but it’s limited because he pool of players it largely pulls from is the pay to play youth travel circuit (circus).

And that pool is typically driven by the parents disposable income and dedication to driving their son or daughter all over the region and/or relocating to the MLS city to play in that academy program.

I wish I had a solution to funnel the bulk of cash parents piss away on mediocre travel programs to better development alternatives.

Youth travel clubs blow for all sports except hockey.

The younger guys don't suck. It's strange that we went with the same retreads this cycle. I almost wonder if when some of the new experiments didn't work out, especially on the backline, the coaches decided to give up. Hedges and Zimmerman looked to break into the fold, and they crashed and burned (unfortunately, it's followed them to their club as well, they were great last year, this year pretty 'meh'). But I really think those failures prevented someone like Ike Opara or Matt Miazga, who both seemed like they should have at least gotten a look, from getting the call.

But the outside back situation is baffling. Run DMB and Zusi got called in because they used to get called in. There are better fullbacks on half of our domestic teams than those two and half of those players are American. It was unconscionable to keep calling them up.

The talent is there to get out of CONCACAF, but we never had a system this cycle. Once our box to box midfielders fell off (due to age) we lost our identity. We had skillful midfielders, but they looked like they had no direction or gameplan and that's why I believe we constantly looked lost going forward this cycle.

One thing that I think gets completely overlooked too often in this game is knowing how to play in a system. James is almost the perfect example of this. I believe he is probably one of the top-10 most skilled players in the world today, but at times he is so comically out of position at RM that his teammates literally don't know how to play with him. I believe it is holding him back from joining the best of the best in today's game.

It's kinda like the US. We have a lot of talent, but we didn't know what to do with it. Nagbe was constantly lost with the ball, Bradley couldn't dictate a game when he needed to, our forwards didn't know how to play off of the midfield, it was a disaster. To be honest, I don't know if anyone knew what their role truly was on the team.

Great post. I'm not going to pretend to be a massive MLS fan but I've watch enough games with Nagbe and the Timbers to see him control pace easily. Now you are telling me he's playing Trinidad and he's completely overwhelmed?

Nope. He has no direction. You hit it on the head.

I agree the Academy system is a step in the right direction but it’s limited because he pool of players it largely pulls from is the pay to play youth travel circuit (circus).

And that pool is typically driven by the parents disposable income and dedication to driving their son or daughter all over the region and/or relocating to the MLS city to play in that academy program.

I wish I had a solution to funnel the bulk of cash parents piss away on mediocre travel programs to better development alternatives.

I know absolutely nothing about youth hockey (except those lung problems zambonies give kids in poorly ventilated rinks, thanks 60 minutes) -- I always thought it had the same issues as soccer in America does (cost restrictions, youth not playing 'pick-up' games and only playing in organized leagues, etc). What do you see in it that makes it so much better? If there are better run youth setups, adopting the best of what other sports are doing is one option.

I know absolutely nothing about youth hockey (except those lung problems zambonies give kids in poorly ventilated rinks, thanks 60 minutes) -- I always thought it had the same issues as soccer in America does (cost restrictions, youth not playing 'pick-up' games and only playing in organized leagues, etc). What do you see in it that makes it so much better? If there are better run youth setups, adopting the best of what other sports are doing is one option.

I don’t think travel hockey maximizes US talent potential either. I think that model works because of the scarcity of rinks & regional interest. American talent has to travel to play against better competition (either Canadian or other US hockey hotbeds). It’s also similar to the Canadian development model (with major Junior hockey being a huge difference).

Soccer has a national appeal and isn’t bound by facility or equipment limitations. Hockey madness is largely limited to states in the Northern third of our country.

If we had rinks all over the US and still not sniffed an Olympic gold, or developed world class scorers like Patrick Kane, then it would be similar to soccer. So it’s hard to translate what might be applied to youth soccer.

IMO, a big part of it is our American sports culture clashes with soccer culture.

Soccer is a largely intuitive, creative game that mostly rejects specialization. American sports are over-coached and commonly feature joystick’d players specializing in fewer skills (massive generalizations, I know).

That’s an uphill battle but not insurmountable.

Last edited:
Burn it to the ground or double down?

Unfortunately, I think we're closer to double down, but it'll be interesting.

Burn it to the ground or double down?

Unfortunately, I think we're closer to double down, but it'll be interesting.
MLS should step up salaries.
Change the calendar.
Stop expanding.

These owners are being greedy and want the expansion money fees.
Set up a Relegation/promotion system.

Robert Kraft is the worst owner in MLS and doesn’t care because he has no pressure to improve.

Teams need Soccer first stadiums.
Orlando’s new stadium was great template.

The pay to play is obviously an overarching problem, but I really think that it has a root cause that's deeper than just pay to play, which I was alluding to in my previous posts.

Right now the elite player development system in the US is the US Soccer Development Academy. It's a network of approximately 200-250 clubs (150 for boys, about half as many planned for girls). About 10 years ago, this 'Academy' was spearheaded by USSoccer and the MLS to start a youth player development program. The teams all have squads for the common youth levels (I don't remember exactly what the levels are, but think U-11, U-12, U-15, U-17, etc.).

The great thing about the changes to US Youth Soccer under the USSDA is that it's changed the elite youth development leagues from leagues that focus on traveling to play multiple games every weekend to teams that focus on training and tactics and play 2-3 games per month.

These teams have dedicated coaches, staff, required trainings for coaches, etc. When people say "the MLS doesn't develop players", well its this Academy system that is developing them, it's where Josh Sargent, Christian Pulisic, Deandre Yedlin, Weston McKennie, etc came through.

The issue is that it's expensive. Full coaching staffs, long travel when there are games, equipment, field rentals, and the like all add up. In most countries, clubs will have academies that can absorb these costs because the domestic league is supported and teams see a return on their investment in youth development. People show up for games, people turn on the TV, and investing in these youth programs is profitable for the league. If you look at the way that people are discussing the league here, it's obvious that is not the case in the US. Andrea Pirlo can go from starting in a Champions League final against Real Madrid and two months later be playing in the MLS and people will still say 'retirement league'. They also don't ever recognize we have players that are starting for Belgium in major tournaments, playing for Spain, the guy that knocked Paraguay out of the world cup last night is an MLSer, there's a player starting for England's U-21 team, there have been 5 or 6 other starters in COMNEBOL and UEFA qualifiers as well.

There is a truly legitimate system in place. It's only been around for 10 years, so we are just hitting our stride with it right now, but until people decide to invest in the domestic sport, nothing's going to change. Yes, Twellman is right -- there are systematic changes that need to be made, but we are trying to put 20,000+ of the best young soccer players in the nation into a true development program. It's just that currently there's no way to fund it until our domestic league becomes more successful and has those funds to prop up more than just the US development academies.

That's why I'm on here ranting about people trashing our domestic league and that's why I push people to watch the MLS, because the pundits can rant and rave about changes that need to be made, but until there are funds to make those changes expect the status quo.

I'll leave with this -- yes, there are some bad teams in the MLS. But try turning on a game, even if it's just to watch the better teams. Atlanta plays a style of soccer that is extremely enjoyable to watch, yes you'll have to watch Jeff Larentowicz trap a ball 5 yards out of bounds every now and then, but this team is putting 70K+ screaming fans into a stadium with an electric atmosphere and it makes for an entertaining 2 hours. Turn on the Red Bulls, they play a high pressure system that I'd love to see the US adopt more of that creates lots of opportunities and scoring chances. They also have a great academy that is producing future US Soccer stars like Tyler Adams and Matt Miazga. Turn on NYCFC. You've probably never seen an American team try to build out of the back. They have young stars on the team like Jack Harrison (currently playing for England who is also a product of the Manchester United system and also and NCAA and Gatorade high school player of the year), Yangel Herrera who is owned by Man City and will be playing at a top-25 club in 3 or 4 years, Ronald Matarita who saved the Panama goal that never was off the line and will likely be in Spain in a few years, Alexander Ring who's like the Boulware equivalent of a center midfielder, etc, etc. I could go on and on about the improving quality of the league.

It's a fun league to follow with great parity, improving play, and soccer is best when experienced locally. Grab a ticket, they're like 10 bucks and bring the family. I guarantee you won't have a bad time, plus you can consider it an investment in our 2034 world cup win.

Edit: That became a wall of text. TL/DR: Pay for play sucks, but there's no other way to fund our academies. More financial success of the domestic league will make it possible for American clubs to invest more in youth. Go out and try a local game. It's fun.

When my daughter was younger, she played for a high-enough level team that she played both with, and against, current national team pool players, current D1 players etc...

So, I used to follow all this stuff on the girl's side...ECNL, NPL etc...

My son, on the other hand, is an athlete playing soccer and it was not at the top of his list so we never went beyond local and I mostly stopped paying attention..

Questions: The Boys DA consists of true Academies (ie. MLS academies) and other "Academies".

My understanding is that the MLS academies pay for everything. Is that true?

I also believe that the "other" academies on the list are pay-to-play (where pay-to-play can easily cost 10K a year all-in by the time you finish paying for hotels, airfare, mels etc...). Is this also true?

When my daughter was younger, she played for a high-enough level team that she played both with, and against, current national team pool players, current D1 players etc...

So, I used to follow all this stuff on the girl's side...ECNL, NPL etc...

My son, on the other hand, is an athlete playing soccer and it was not at the top of his list so we never went beyond local and I mostly stopped paying attention..

Questions: The Boys DA consists of true Academies (ie. MLS academies) and other "Academies".

My understanding is that the MLS academies pay for everything. Is that true?

I also believe that the "other" academies on the list are pay-to-play (where pay-to-play can easily cost 10K a year all-in by the time you finish paying for hotels, airfare, mels etc...). Is this also true?

It varies from team to team. Philadelphia Union, for example, has an in-house academy for their U-17 squad. The kids (except those that live in the city of Philadelphia and go home every night) live in a nice house, have two house mothers, practice together, go to school togethers, etc. Other teams have academies much like the typical pay to play (everyone in the region drives in for practices and goes home when it's done), except I do not believe any MLS academies charge for their services, while most of the USSDA non-MLS affiliated academies will. I'm not 100% certain on that, but I am pretty sure because I know there are a few scholarship funds out there to assist with the prohibitive costs.

I'm surprised no one's brought this up.

Of course, I realize it's just a fraction on here care about deeply. Most I suspect focus in on it when the World Cup starts.

And there are also a bunch of "soccer knowledgeable" people on here who watch the Premiere League or Bundesliga or even the US pro league.

But this is an ignominious defeat and not just the last game but the whole Qualifying Round. The US plays in the world's weakest "group". They won 3 games out of 10 and finished 5th out of 6 teams. The USA lost last to Trinidad, and Tobago, two islands with 1.4 Million people vs. our 300+ million.

I'm surprised no one's brought this up.

Of course, I realize it's just a fraction on here care about deeply. Most I suspect focus in on it when the World Cup starts.

And there are also a bunch of "soccer knowledgeable" people on here who watch the Premiere League or Bundesliga or even the US pro league.

But this is an ignominious defeat and not just the last game but the whole Qualifying Round. The US plays in the world's weakest "group". They won 3 games out of 10 and finished 5th out of 6 teams. The USA lost last to Trinidad, and Tobago, two islands with 1.4 Million people vs. our 300+ million.
USMNT soccer team thread

Does this mean I don't get to watch Bradley running in quicksand anymore?
I want Bradley challenged but the last 8 matches in WCQ he was a lot better. Bradley got the US team a point at Azteca.

Klinsmann had him out of place.

I don’t think he should be an automatic starter anymore. He is the captain though I hope we find a MF option to challenge him.

We just need talent pure and simple.

Jozy/Bradley/Dempsey Era is about over.
Pulisic needs to be the new leader.
DeGrozz mentioned Matt Mizaga who is in the Netherlands playing for a Europa team.

We also need to stop missing the Olympics. U-23 team needs as much playing time as possible.

It varies from team to team. Philadelphia Union, for example, has an in-house academy for their U-17 squad. The kids (except those that live in the city of Philadelphia and go home every night) live in a nice house, have two house mothers, practice together, go to school togethers, etc. Other teams have academies much like the typical pay to play (everyone in the region drives in for practices and goes home when it's done), except I do not believe any MLS academies charge for their services, while most of the USSDA non-MLS affiliated academies will. I'm not 100% certain on that, but I am pretty sure because I know there are a few scholarship funds out there to assist with the prohibitive costs.

You nailed it. My kids are too young for sports but I’ve got teenage nieces & nephews who are in the thick of it.

A family friend was recently invited to tryout for the Columbus Crew’s academy team (U12 or 13). They stagger the invitations - a preferred prospect is asked to show up on day 2 or 3 after they’ve made first cuts.

I was impressed with what i heard of the Crew’s approach - I was stunned that they recruit so many prospects to tryout. I’m pretty sure the family will move to Columbus should he make the team.

You talk about disposable income and then bring up hockey in the same post which is arguably the most expensive youth sport there is.

You talk about disposable income and then bring up hockey in the same post which is arguably the most expensive youth sport there is.

I don’t recall claiming hockey is cheap so what’s your point?

Another thing is what is the national stadium of the USMNT?

We need more HFA.
Columbus had been a fortress for the Mexico game but the Mexicans finally broke the doa a cero curse this cycle.
I think Denver should be the site whenever the next game is at Mexico.

I liked Orlando before Caribbean match.
I wish Seattle got in the rotation.

No more Redbull arena after the Costa Right fans had a nice than should have happened turnout.

Tab Ramos heavy favorite to be next USMNT manager.

Not sure if I like this or not.

For what it's worth, here are my few thoughts on the hot topics that will likely be subject to dozens if not hundreds of H0T Takes related to MLS/USSoccer of the next few cycles:

Salary Caps: Unpopular opinion here, but I like where the salary cap rules currently are - just keep gradually raising them. I don't want to see MLS become what the NASL once was -- teams that are huge spenders and teams on a budget, with inequity everywhere. Additionally, I don't believe that increasing the cap is going to increase the American talent level, it's going to attract more overseas talent, de-emphasize development academies, and do nothing to further the talent levels in the US.

Soccer Specific Stadiums: Hell yes. Anyone who has been to a game at a SSS knows how fun and exciting the atmospheres are. You can put a soccer team in Yankee Stadium and the crowd is infinitely more fun than watching one of the world's great sports franchises. You put that same type of crowd in an intimate 18-28K stadium and the atmosphere is among the best in US sports. More creation will lead to more public participation (but we've been doing great with progress in this area!).

Pro/Rel: This goes completely against wanting to have a league with only SSS in the US. The MLS does ok, after NFL, College Football, NBA, College Basketball, MLB, NHL, and PGA, it might be the next most popular sport in the US (Sorry NASCAR fans, driving is a talent and competition, not a sport -- but that's a whole n'other thread!). The second division of soccer in the US is failing miserably. The NASL almost went under this past season and looks to be on its last legs. There is no way that a businessman will invest hundreds of millions up front with the risk that his team will be relegated to a league that has ~4K attendance per game. It's not how we improve the league right now, but should continuously be re-evaluated if more clubs pop up.

Transfer Fees: Currently the transfer rules allow MLS teams who transfer players to recover their initial investment and keep 67% of their profit. The remaining 33% goes to the single-entity MLS system. I'd like to see those profits either (1) go to the teams with a requirement that they be reinvested in a youth development system or (2) go to a general fund supporting the USSDA (scholarships, cost reduction, etc).

What can USSoccer do to support the future?: (1) Nike, Adidas, PUMA, ESPN, FOX, everyone is missing out on HUGE paydays with our elimination. Lean on these entities for more for sponsorship and development money. Create partnerships with the USSDA similar to what AAU has done and have them pull some weight too, sponsorships should support scholarships and coaching education funds. (2) Consistency in youth development. Create pods around the US and have general consultants/auditors of programs in these pods to continuously improve youth development. Hold these programs to a high standard and provide more training to coaches at the youth level. Because frankly, we are learning on the spot and getting the right knowledgable people in to help develop our system will foster a consistently productive development environment. Having a USSDA is not going to be worth it if we aren't consistently teaching young players how to play the game.

MLS keeps expanding.

The owners want the expansion money.
There are only 18-20 teams in most countries top divisions.

There are 22 MLS teams with LAFC as 23 and the year want a 24th in 2019.

Too much expansion is bad.

Tab Ramos heavy favorite to be next USMNT manager.

Not sure if I like this or not.

This is a terrible choice. It speaks to keeping everything the same.
We need new ideas.

MLS keeps expanding.

The owners want the expansion money.
There are only 18-20 teams in most countries top divisions.

There are 22 MLS teams with LAFC as 23 and the year want a 24th in 2019.

Too much expansion is bad.

It'll depend on whether they stay a playoff format or want to move to a single table. We know Garber is eyeing 26-30 teams (28 being most likely). On top of that we have to identify 6-14 more teams worthy if we even want to go to a single table, 2 division, 18-20 team pro/rel system. It'll be interesting if they go that route.

I'm not gonna lie, I absolutely love the playoff format -- I think it is insanely exciting. But I'm not sure I'd dislike a two league single-table system either. I would not advocate for anything more than an MLS1 and MLS2 though.

One of the things that I could see being a pain point with a single table system is increased cross-country trips. Players absolutely despise them and they'll be doing them a lot more if you go single table (yes - charters would need to be incorporated, but teams do use some charters for their cross-country travel and they say it's still rough.) You don't have 8 hour flights from Orlando/Miami to Seattle/Portland/Vancouver in Italy/Spain/Germany/UK and players despise those trips. I'm sure the union would have something to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.