USMNT thread - 2018 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT thread - 2018

Highly doubtful, but potentially amazing:

This would probably lead to a pro/rel system and end the salary cap in MLS.
If these changes happened this league could become a top 5 league in the world.

Was also just named to a top-60 young players in the World article (Konrad).

We have zero identity.
It would help if we hired a coach.
How the heck doesn’t Ernie Stewart have a guy already.
We are so disorganized as a federation.
The hiring of the guy who was part of the old regime as the President of US soccer was a status quo hire.
Until we have federation president who gets it we will be frustrated.

The hiring of the guy who was part of the old regime as the President of US soccer was a status quo hire.

I thought the guy you supported won the presidency last round? (I could very well be misremembering, maybe I think that because he had the best shot to beat Carter?)

I gotta be honest with you though, I don't think it's a terrible thing to not have a permanent coach right now. These games don't matter. If we wanted or needed to settle on a coach like Peter Vermes, we could have already pulled that trigger. I'd rather leave the spot open for a better choice than settle.

And with Ernie's track record as the most successful American soccer executive at the club level, I have more faith in him than most to at least make a good pick for us.

Last edited:
I thought the guy you supported won the presidency last round? (I could very well be misremembering, maybe I think that because he had the best shot to beat Carter?)

I gotta be honest with you though, I don't think it's a terrible thing to not have a permanent coach right now. These games don't matter. If we wanted or needed to settle on a coach like Peter Vermes, we could have already pulled that trigger. I'd rather leave the spot open for a better choice than settle.

And with Ernie's track record as the most successful American soccer executive at the club level, I have more faith in him than most to at least make a good pick for us.
I didn’t want Corderio or Carter.
They were both insiders.

I wanted Martino or Wynalda. Basically anyone but Carter or Cordeiro,

I thought that was a fun game vs columbia.. some breakdowns on D just like SU, but some really nice scoring chances at times.

Men in Blazers revisited their pod from a year ago after the USMNT missed the WC. It’s a great listen again. We have so much work to do and I can’t believe we still have an interim coach.

I thought that was a fun game vs columbia.. some breakdowns on D just like SU, but some really nice scoring chances at times.
Soooo..my post on wanting to see more of Robinson really aged well, didn’t it?

As bad as he was against Brazil, he was worse against Colombia. Although Saief provided zero support and Sweat was also exposed in the short time he was in.

Nobody on the back line had a good game and neither did Acosta or Bradley. Bad positioning and not enough closing down across the board.

I’ve been Bradley’s biggest defender but he should provide veteran leadership from the bench. He has lost too much to be effective at the international level. He simply cannot close people down and we need a 6 who can do that. That would also help out our back line.

Weah’s pass to Wood was world class. You can build around him and Pulisic.

I liked Sargent’s turn. Would like to see more of him.

BTW, does anyone know why Nagbe is not in the mix?

Long way to go. Time to get a coach.

Had a great shot to win that Peru game.. the D fell asleep on the goal and ruined a great result

Single elimination play-offs are so awesome. Got quite a few players expected to influence this qualifying cycle playing tonight.

Also, I wouldn't hate it if we ever went to a single table, but man would I miss the MLS playoffs. This is way too much fun.

He's waiting for the MLS playoffs to end.

He's waiting for the MLS playoffs to end.

Depending on who it is and how the playoffs go, I could see an unveiling/introductory interview at halftime of the MLS Cup.

So here's who to keep an eye out for tomorrow and next weekend (remember, it's doubtful teams alive in the MLS Cup will give up players for a call up in the November window).

Col vs RBNY

Col - Steffan, Zardes, Trapp, and Coach Berhalter
RBNY - Parker, Long, Adams, and (long shot, but so far really impressive) Coach Armas

Not gonna lie, Long is a really interesting prospect. He's really, really good in MLS. We've seen players like him go on to be regular USMNT starters and we've seen players like him become fringe call-ups. When he moves up to Europe, he could potentially make a name for himself.

Portland vs Seattle

Por - Jorge Villafana, Jerome Ebobisse
Sea - Roldan and longshots Frei and Marshall

Let's face it, American fans will be the story of the match.

NYCFC vs ATL

NYC - Johnson, Sweat, and Sands (longshot)
ATL - Nagbe and Carleton (maybe). I refuse to respect Guzan in my post.

Honestly, Carleton probably won't play a ton. Johnson is too up and down to be the USMNT keeper, but it wouldn't surprise me if he makes a huge step forward in two years. We know who Nagbe is and Carleton is likely to be buried on the bench -- though the youngster is great. If you're tuning in to this one it's because Villa, Almiron, and maybe Martinez are on their last legs in MLS.

RSL vs SKC

RSL - Rimando (legend), Lennon, and Beckerman (legend)
SKC - Tim Melia, Zusi, Opara, Besler, Lindsey (18!), Shelton (longshot), and Busio (Future!)

Big fan of some of the SKC youngsters. I think we'll see Linsey and Busio lace up for the USMNT this cycle.

In closing, it's gonna be better than watching the Giants, Jets, or Bills!

Last edited:
So here's to keep an eye out for tomorrow and next weekend (remember, it's doubtful teams alive in the MLS Cup will give up players for a call up in the November window).

Col vs RBNY

Col - Steffan, Zardes, Trapp, and Coach Berhalter
RBNY - Parker, Long, Adams, and (long shot, but so far really impressive) Coach Armas

Not gonna lie, Long is a really interesting prospect. He's really, really good in MLS. We've seen players like him go on to be regular USMNT starters and we've seen players like him become fringe call-ups. When he moves up to Europe, he could potentially make a name for himself.

Portland vs Seattle

Por - Jorge Villafana, Jerome Ebobisse
Sea - Roldan and longshots Frei and Marshall

Let's face it, American fans will be the story of the match.

NYCFC vs ATL

NYC - Johnson, Sweat, and Sands (longshot)
ATL - Nagbe and Carleton (maybe). I refuse to respect Guzan in my post.

Honestly, Carleton probably won't play a ton. Johnson is too up and down to be the USMNT keeper, but it wouldn't surprise me if he makes a huge step forward in two years. We know who Nagbe is and Carleton is likely to be buried on the bench -- though the youngster is great. If you're tuning in to this one it's because Villa, Almiron, and maybe Martinez are on their last legs in MLS.

RSL vs SKC

RSL - Rimando (legend), Lennon, and Beckerman (legend)
SKC - Tim Melia, Zusi, Opara, Besler, Lindsey (18!), Shelton (longshot), and Busio (Future!)

Big fan of some of the SKC youngsters. I think we'll see Linsey and Busio lace up for the USMNT this cycle.

In closing, it's gonna be better than watching the Giants, Jets, or Bills!

Great post. Respect!
396F1594-1F87-48C4-8EAF-4BEBE695F488.gif

Still have 15 minutes of RSL vs SKC, but a couple thoughts:

- Jerome Ebobisse really has potential. I like this dude.
- I don't love Steffan, but he's got the inside track. I think Sean Johnson's ceiling is as high as Steffan's though. Big athletic shot-stoppers have always been our forte. Frei, Steffan, Johnson, and Melia don't get beat far post vs TNT.
- I'm not sure if another country has ever had a dearth of talent at a specific position as we do a LB (since 2002). What an embarrassment for 'hopefuls' tonight.
- I still like Adams. Doubtful he ever makes a UCL contender's top-11, but he could be legend for a mid-table team in any of the big-5 leagues.

If we ever want a top-10 league, we need better officiating. Today was pretty brutal.

If USSF has taken all this time to name a manager and it ends up being Gregg Berhalter then what a joke.
Sorry but US soccer deserves better.
We have a ton of revenue spend it on a world class manager. There are candidates who would take the job for Klinsmann money who are good.

If USSF has taken all this time to name a manager and it ends up being Gregg Berhalter then what a joke.
Sorry but US soccer deserves better.
We have a ton of revenue spend it on a world class manager. There are candidates who would take the job for Klinsmann money who are good.

The question is who?

Most of the "big" names that were considered candidates by us, didn't consider us destinations and there were very few that we even had a punchers chance with.

Osorio and Tata were our two (seemingly) most reasonable shots who have both managed on a huge stage and had a connection to the US. Neither of them really considered us. And God knows what the story is with Moyes.

I think there are really 2 issues:

1 - We are not considered a hot job right now. It's no secret that our infrastructure is a huge dumpster fire compared to most of our peers (be it internationally, or at the club level). I don't think many marquee managers really care about the responsibilities to help build out a reasonable infrastructure that comes with our manager position (although, I still contend our development infrastructure is quickly improving).

2 - The coaching market is on fire right now. World class managers like Lippi or Conte or Pep or whoever are naming their prices all over Europe. The US isn't unique in having deep pockets and the places with deep pockets are, quite frankly, significantly more attractive that the US is. Heck, if you think about Klinsmann money (though we could afford more), that still is bottom half of the EPL this year for managers and puts you right around with what Roy Hodgson makes.

Unfortunately, I think this just is who we are right now. We're kinda like a low-level P-5 basketball school. We might be able to pay for an Izzo or Self, but an Izzo or Self is looking for a top-level job, not one where they have to build out a recruiting base, lead a charge to upgrade facilities, etc...

Last edited:
Atlanta United Attendance tonight - 70,526

Gotta hope they maintain that support. But seeing 14K in RB's stadium just shows we aren't there yet.

Really liked the way Nagbe showed in the first half -- he could be a good 21st/22nd player this cycle with the way he's learned to fit and play a role.

The fact that Ben Sweat got a national team call-up re-emphasizes my biggest concern about the team going forward. Soccer is, and forever will be, a weakest link sport (as opposed to basketball, which is obviously a strongest link sport). He (and our other options) may not be as bad as Beas, but the fact that we can't find an average player there for 12+ years now is so g-d frustrating.

Lots of young talent on both teams that couldn't find the 18 -- we gotta figure out our lower divisions to get them better run.

The C'bus/RB match is gonna be good. Tune in, fans!

Not sure if anyone here saw MLS Quarters over weekend but games were highly entertaining. KC RSL. end to end. Atlanta with 70,000, NY RB with two scintillating goals by Royer in the 2nd half. ( Wasn't sure where to put this post , didn't see a generic soccer thread)

Sorry didn't read last few posts in thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom