USMNT thread - 2018 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT thread - 2018

Yeah even without Altidore, Pulisic the Brazilians outclass our talent.
When a stud like Willian is coming off the bench your team is loaded.

US looks like it has some solid pieces but it needs a number 8. Altidore/Wood look like solid forwards. Pulisic is best player.
I am hoping the midfield can include Weah and Pulisic for the next decade.
LOL...I was thinking the exact same thing when Costa got subbed. Costa absolutely torched Robinson all game long and he goes out and in comes...Willian

I know playing the big boys is sexy but we simply cannot compete with them if we actually try to press and play with them rather than bunkering and hoping to get one on the counter.

Having said that I would much rather see us try to press high and play through them than to try to play to get a result.

I do think it would be more useful If we scheduled that second (or third) tier of teams instead. Teams like a Poland or a Sweden or a Switzerland. Strong teams but not teams that are going to make us look like Rutgers vs Golden State.

Yedlin’s touch is pure lead. No way he can play midfield.

Midfield simply not at their level. US simply not able to consistently play one and two touch soccer.

I think Miazga has been really good tonight.

I agree with this. I'm not sure what Yedlin adds to this midfield. This isn't (American) football, it's not a contest of who can get the most athletes on the field.

Sarachan is a legend in the development of our nation's program. He's always been rumored to have small, great ideas (like Mastroeni's role in 2002) but he's never been successful as a headcoach (aside from a year when he had the most talented team in the league for a year) -- he's a great wingman though.

I missed a lot of what Holden said about Berhalter, but I think he's probably the right choice for a 2 year contract.

The team obviously needs some identity going forward and has to figure out how to create chances without a combination of forwards who are going to light up a defense.

Berhalter has a proven history of taking talented (but not out of this world talented) attacking minded midfielders pairing them with athletic forwards and creating a system that consistently gets his forwards in great positions to score. We've seen him use Meram and Higuain to set up athletic forwards like Ola Kamara, Kei Kamara, and now Gyasi Zardes. All of these forwards significantly regressed when leaving his system (or, In Gyasi's case, significantly increase production when coming on the team).

He also consistently gets results from his teams with a cheap roster and has figured out how to organize a consistently good defense in the last few years.

I couldn't care less about results the next few years as long as we see real progress with our team. I think Berhalter would do well with that and then we can re-evaluate him as we get closer to the cup.

I like guys with systems. Berhalter is one who has seemed to have one currently figured out. Moyes is one that has too.

Ernie is no idiot. He had his club punching above its weight class for years. I think he'll do all right identifying our next coach. It's just we as fans have to realize Pep isn't walking through that door unless he decides he wants to spend his late 50s enjoying life in Miami, New York, LA, or San Fran.

That penalty call was a bad call.
With that said Brazil has dominated this team.
USA-Brazil has been like Syracuse vs. Colgate in basketball.
One sided series.
DVR’d Germany-France and Italy-Poland from League of Nations.

Watching Germany-France. Entertaining and interesting.

Not the intensity and without the tactical compactness of a World Cup or European championship game. More wide open but with more intensity than a friendly. Interesting hybrid.

Fun watch.

LOL...I was thinking the exact same thing when Costa got subbed. Costa absolutely torched Robinson all game long and he goes out and in comes...Willian

I know playing the big boys is s e xy but we simply cannot compete with them if we actually try to press and play with them rather than bunkering and hoping to get one on the counter.

Having said that I would much rather see us try to press high and play through them than to try to play to get a result.

I do think it would be more useful If we scheduled that second (or third) tier of teams instead. Teams like a Poland or a Sweden or a Switzerland. Strong teams but not teams that are going to make us look like Rutgers vs Golden State.
I wouldn’t mind sprinkling a few of those in but we’re not selling tickets against any of those teams. Sure it was a Brazil home game tonight but if we played any of those teams in MetLife it’d be empty.

Also I thought our young guys handled them fairly well. The penalty was off a garbage call so it was essentially a 1-0 game. We’re never going to be at a point where we can dominate possession against any of these top tier teams so there’s value in sitting back on a 4-5-1 and defending. Loved what I saw from Miazga and Brooks.

Yedlin’s touch is pure lead. No way he can play midfield.

Midfield simply not at their level. US simply not able to consistently play one and two touch soccer. Off ball movement also not good enough when being pressed. Combination of bad touches/passes with no outlets makes for a long night.

I think Miazga has been really good tonight.

I think off ball movement is a huge issue as is the lack of players who limit wasted movement aslnd consistently drive forward like Pulisic does so well I And on top of that is how many US players still allow that first touch to let them down.

On your earlier comment I do agree these young guys need to play so they get the experience and we see what we have. It's a fine line though too with a lack of cohesion when the hypothetical first team does get out there and they have hardly ever played together within the past 3-4 months.

I agree with this. I'm not sure what Yedlin adds to this midfield. This isn't (American) football, it's not a contest of who can get the most athletes on the field.

Sarachan is a legend in the development of our nation's program. He's always been rumored to have small, great ideas (like Mastroeni's role in 2002) but he's never been successful as a headcoach (aside from a year when he had the most talented team in the league for a year) -- he's a great wingman though.

I missed a lot of what Holden said about Berhalter, but I think he's probably the right choice for a 2 year contract.

The team obviously needs some identity going forward and has to figure out how to create chances without a combination of forwards who are going to light up a defense.

Berhalter has a proven history of taking talented (but not out of this world talented) attacking minded midfielders pairing them with athletic forwards and creating a system that consistently gets his forwards in great positions to score. We've seen him use Meram and Higuain to set up athletic forwards like Ola Kamara, Kei Kamara, and now Gyasi Zardes. All of these forwards significantly regressed when leaving his system (or, In Gyasi's case, significantly increase production when coming on the team).

He also consistently gets results from his teams with a cheap roster and has figured out how to organize a consistently good defense in the last few years.

I couldn't care less about results the next few years as long as we see real progress with our team. I think Berhalter would do well with that and then we can re-evaluate him as we get closer to the cup.

I like guys with systems. Berhalter is one who has seemed to have one currently figured out. Moyes is one that has too.

Ernie is no idiot. He had his club punching above its weight class for years. I think he'll do all right identifying our next coach. It's just we as fans have to realize Pep isn't walking through that door unless he decides he wants to spend his late 50s enjoying life in Miami, New York, LA, or San Fran.

I don’t think that any of the big name coaches would be a good fit. Our players simply cannot do the things that the caliber of player they are used to coaching can do.

It would be like going from Man City back to Hull City.

Doesn’t Berhalter also have his license from the German academy?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t mind sprinkling a few of those in but we’re not selling tickets against any of those teams. Sure it was a Brazil home game tonight but if we played any of those teams in MetLife it’d be empty.

Also I thought our young guys handled them fairly well. The penalty was off a garbage call so it was essentially a 1-0 game. We’re never going to be at a point where we can dominate possession against any of these top tier teams so there’s value in sitting back on a 4-5-1 and defending. Loved what I saw from Miazga and Brooks.
It was but could just as easily been 4-0 or 5-0.

As I wrote above, what we did tonight would be suicidal in a World Cup game but I had no issue with it in a friendly. If this were the World Cup, you would have to play a 4-5-1.

I also get the marketing angle. US-Poland isn’t sexy but it would be a much better barometer as to what our level is when we try to outplay the opposition. But you are right, there would only be 10k or 20k in the meadowlands for that.

I think off ball movement is a huge issue as is the lack of players who limit wasted movement aslnd consistently drive forward like Pulisic does so well I And on top of that is how many US players still allow that first touch to let them down.

On your earlier comment I do agree these young guys need to play so they get the experience and we see what we have. It's a fine line though too with a lack of cohesion when the hypothetical first team does get out there and they have hardly ever played together within the past 3-4 months.
Agreed, you will need to start seeing more 1st team guys as we get closer to qualifying.

I don’t think that any of the big name coaches would be a good fit. Our players simply cannot do the things that the caliber of player they are used to coaching can do.

It would be like going from Man City back to Hull City.

Ha - It's kinda funny thinking about some of the players in our pool picking up Mourinho's 150-page game plans for a game against Guadaloup in the Gold Cup.

Ha - It's kinda funny thinking about some of the players in our pool picking up Mourinho's 150-page game plans for a game against Guadaloup in the Gold Cup.
And then the post-game press conference lamenting the fact that the USSF had not been active in the transfer market and how in the world was he supposed to win with that roster...

A couple cool things happening with our younger players recently:

- Finally, our savior Christian Pulisic is having lots of transfer rumors pop up. L'pool and Chelsea still seem to be hot on his trail.

Liverpool will play him. Chelsea will not.

It was but could just as easily been 4-0 or 5-0.

As I wrote above, what we did tonight would be suicidal in a World Cup game but I had no issue with it in a friendly. If this were the World Cup, you would have to play a 4-5-1.

I also get the marketing angle. US-Poland isn’t s e xy but it would be a much better barometer as to what our level is when we try to outplay the opposition. But you are right, there would only be 10k or 20k in the meadowlands for that.

Scotland, Ireland or Japan are good level opposition for us who could still draw an audience.

They played ok last night. I will take a win but really I want to see these guys gel. They looked pretty fast but I felt like their spacing was weird as I watched. It was a little later and I was tired but it seemed like one person was near the person with the ball and that was it. I did like some tight quater passing I saw but it still doesn't look comfortable.

They played ok last night. I will take a win but really I want to see these guys gel. They looked pretty fast but I felt like their spacing was weird as I watched. It was a little later and I was tired but it seemed like one person was near the person with the ball and that was it. I did like some tight quater passing I saw but it still doesn't look comfortable.
Sarachan wedged Acosta into the lineup and threw him on the wing. His natural tendency was to drift inside and the spacing was poor. Trapp and Adams were also redundant and I don’t think Trapp has shown anything at all. I was pleased with Julian Green and his ability in the CAM role. I’d prefer we actually play someone in that role instead of having all 3 of Trapp, McKennie, and Adams in midfield. Trapp is the worst distributor of those 3 and also the least athletic. The whole team changes if Pulisic in on the right wing opposite of Weah and with Altidore up front. For all of his faults he’s better at the hold up play and distribution from the center forward role than Zardes or Wood.

Sarachan wedged Acosta into the lineup and threw him on the wing. His natural tendency was to drift inside and the spacing was poor. Trapp and Adams were also redundant and I don’t think Trapp has shown anything at all. I was pleased with Julian Green and his ability in the CAM role. I’d prefer we actually play someone in that role instead of having all 3 of Trapp, McKennie, and Adams in midfield. Trapp is the worst distributor of those 3 and also the least athletic. The whole team changes if Pulisic in on the right wing opposite of Weah and with Altidore up front. For all of his faults he’s better at the hold up play and distribution from the center forward role than Zardes or Wood.

Sarachen did a crap job at picking a lineup vs. Mexico. Lichaj was out of position and burned repeatedly, along with Acosta and Trapp. Time for a permanent coach.

Sarachen did a crap job at picking a lineup vs. Mexico. Lichaj was out of position and burned repeatedly, along with Acosta and Trapp. Time for a permanent coach.
Robinson had a rough night against Brazil (and to be fair Douglas Costa is a tough matchup for anyone and doesn’t look as fast or as strong as he is until he’s 10 yards past you in the blink of an eye) but he would’ve been a better fit in this match and was a huge positive force when he came on.

Yeah, I don’t get that. It took Twellman about 30 seconds to figure out that Acosta out wide, no real attacking mid and a right-footed leftback were going to be a problem.

I know Robinson got torched by Costa but he has pace and likes to get forward. I would like to see more of him.

I’ve done some reading on Berhalter since you brought him up.

He is clearly a system guy and it works but it also requires time to implement and it takes players time to learn it: can be half a season to pick it up.

Her e is my concern. A national team coach just doesn’t get that much time to implement a system.

Can Berhalter simplify it for the national team enough that they can pick it up in the limited amount of time they spend together and, if so, will a simplified version still be effective?

I’ve done some reading on Berhalter since you brought him up.

He is clearly a system guy and it works but it also requires time to implement and it takes players time to learn it: can be half a season to pick it up.

Her e is my concern. A national team coach just doesn’t get that much time to implement a system.

Can Berhalter simplify it for the national team enough that they can pick it up in the limited amount of time they spend together and, if so, will a simplified version still be effective?

I understand where that concern comes from, but I think that there is ample time to implement a system over the next 4 years -- especially because I think our talent fits what Berhalter likes to do very well.

I think you will agree with me on this one, but Marcello Lippi had one of the greatest coaching performances in 2006 of any soccer coach in recent times. It took him ~2 years to implement a system that had Pirlo and Totti playing well together with Gattuso protecting them and an stout defense that stopped leaking goals like they did in Euros 2 years earlier. He obviously implemented a "system". I think you can argue the same about Low in '14 and Del Bosque in '10. So, I am not sure implementing a system is impossible -- it's really just how a team adapts to a coach's style and whether the personnel fit the way the coach wants to play.

What I like about Berhalter is that he figures out how to play through a talented attacking midfielder/winger. We have seen him do this with both Meram and Higuain. I think he'll have similar success trying it out with Pulisic and potentially Weah (depending on where he settles playing as he matures).

He's taken athletic forwards with average skill and has been able to have them play off his AMs using smart, but simple off the ball movement to create space and scoring opportunities. I think guys like Altidore and Sargent would excel in this style.

His defense is a little like his playing career. Consistently undermanned, but usually well organized enough to prevent disasters. He also has a speedy back -- Harrison Afful -- who he lets get forward and be dangerous similar to what we like to see Yedlin do.

Finally, he's been wonderful in developing Will Trapp. Now, I don't think Trapp is the future captain of the national team like some writers think he is, but when you watch him play for his club team, he's a little like Adams on the Red Bulls. He's just constantly being disruptive defensively, playing the smart ball in possession, in a position to cover a teammate and disrupt a counter, etc. We currently have a few players that will fit into that role well and with Trapp's development I feel very positively about Berhalter's ability to bring them along with the national team.

My biggest concern about Berhalter is the development of Steffen. We all know what Zack can do as a shot stopper. He's always been excellent doing that. But, in league play, Zack is constantly poor in possession, so much so that it costs his team points and goals somewhat regularly (for goalie errors). But the Crew still constantly use him as a method to try to play out of the back or as a soft safety valve under pressure when he clearly doesn't have the skill or long ball distribution to play that role. I'm actually surprised that Berhalter hasn't figured out how to surpass him at all costs during possession.

Anyway, I'm on record. I am not all in on Berhalter (because I think there are a few options out there that we can be successful with), but if Greg is our next coach I am going on record that we have the personnel to be very successful.

I'll be back to eat crow if (when?) I'm wrong (again?).

New roster called:

Sarachan Brings 24-Player USA Roster for Kickoff Series Clashes Against Colombia and Peru

A few new names on it:

Aaron Long (central defender) - I think he could be a good depth player. He's actually older than I thought he was (25), but if you were to think of an MLS player that you would expect to try out his trade English Championship, this is him. I'm not sure if he's peaked yet, but if he makes a move to a bigger league, there's potential for him to be a solid player. He's also in awesome form right now for club. I hope we keep an eye on him this cycle.

Ben Sweat (Left back) - Ben is a very offensive minded left back. He likes to take players on 1 v 1 and has a surprisingly good success rate doing so. His defensive positioning leaves much to be desired. I actually think he's in a bit of a playing slump right now. 6 months ago, or so, he was a name I would bring up when people would ask "Is DMB really the best left back in the USMNT player pool?". I wouldn't expect Ben to become a USMNT regular starter, but he's very skilled with the ball and if he ever finds great form, you never know.

Jonathan Amon (Striker) - Someone else will have to weigh in on this one. I've only seen his highlights and goals posted on Twitter. It's always nice to see young attacking talent succeed.

I like the young guys don’t really care to see Michael Bradley again.
I don’t think the guy is what the team needs now.
Jozy Altidore still has a place IMO but I am ready for new blood in the midfield.

I like the young guys don’t really care to see Michael Bradley again.
I don’t think the guy is what the team needs now.
Jozy Altidore still has a place IMO but I am ready for new blood in the midfield.
McKinnie, Adams and Pulisic all out. So much for seeing the young blood...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom