USMNT thread - 2018 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT thread - 2018

A couple cool things happening with our younger players recently:

- Ben Lederman, who was one of youth players banned from Barca (by FIFA) because of illegal youth practices (and who also subsequently returned after he received a Euro passport) has moved to Gent in Belgium at 18 years old in search of first team minutes. Although he's been the center of some highly publicized stories (first US player recruited by Barca, the int'l youth transfer scandal, etc), not a lot of people know too much about him because Barca is notoriously protective of their youth players -- so he hasn't played for our youth national teams.

- Andrew Carleton, who featured prominently in the latest U17 world cup for the US, has started seeing the field for ATL due to a lockerroom scandal involving one of MLS's youngest, most expensive stars who was ahead of him on the depth chart. This could be great for him.

- Gio Reyna, who Adidas has already pegged as the face for the run up to 2026, appears to be destined for Dortmund very soon.

- Tyler Adams looks like he'll be following Jesse Marsch over to RB Salzburg this winter. A wonderful move for him. I hope he crushes it.

- Finally, our savior Christian Pulisic is having lots of transfer rumors pop up. L'pool and Chelsea still seem to be hot on his trail.

And if you are looking for something to watch this weekend, the MLS all-star game is Wednesday night. All stars are not allowed to sit the all star game out or else they face suspension. Because of this rule, you're going to see a lot of youth on the field tonight and tomorrow. If you want to check out some 17-21 year-old players in the USMNT pipeline, this should be the weekend to do it.

Last edited:
Kellyn Acosta was also traded by his hometown club to Colorado. A definite setback for a player I was high on and who still has aspirations of playing overseas.

Kellyn Acosta was also traded by his hometown club to Colorado. A definite setback for a player I was high on and who still has aspirations of playing overseas.

He has had a rough season. Got benched about 2 or 3 months back and Dallas has been playing very well without him. I think his coach sat him down and asked what was wrong and Acosta said "I've been here (Dallas) for 12 years, I think I need a change of scenery."

He's kinda getting to the point in his career though where it's time to either make that jump to a European (or even a South American) league, or just decide to have a solid MLS career and maybe be a fringe USMNT player.

Get your tickets for the Gianluca Busio hype train now while they're cheap.

Tim Weah became the 6th-youngest player to score a Ligue 1 goal for PSG today. Unbelievably terrible goalkeeping but I don’t think he cares much.

Tim Weah became the 6th-youngest player to score a Ligue 1 goal for PSG today. Unbelievably terrible goalkeeping but I don’t think he cares much.
Getting minutes at PSG is big time.
It tells us USMNT fans Weah is legit.
You obviously know this but PSG is a top 5 club in the world the fact we have a national player even in the rotation is great.

You obviously know this but PSG is a top 5 club in the world the fact we have a national player even in the rotation is great.
Tuchel was instrumental in Pulisic’s development so Weah is in good hands.

You could now argue that Weah becomes the American player who has started for the biggest club.

You could now argue that Weah becomes the American player who has started for the biggest club.

Tim Howard and Jon Spector for Manchester United or Brad Friedel for Liverpool is probably the only argument you could make besides Weah right now. I think all qualified for UCL with those teams, but none won the league. That's probably what PSG would do in the EPL.

Off the top of my head, the only other clubs where we had players get meaningful minutes that even come close are:

Kirovski won a UCL medal at Dortmund, but I'm not sure they are a bigger club than PSG.
Beasley at PSV during their UCL cinderella run
Onyewu at AC Milan (I'm not sure if he ever played much or at all there -- he did get into a fight with Zlatan though) and Liege when they were very good
John O'Brien at Ajax
Obviously our young guys in Germany
I don't remember how good Bayer was when Landon got a few runs out
CCV with Tottenham? Not sure if he's played an EPL game with them though or only cup matches.
Bradley for Roma

I racked my brain for 5 minutes thinking of these -- if anyone else remembers more please chime in! Didn't think Keller, Cherundolo, Reyna, or Bedoya's best finishes were worth listing, but all played on some good teams..

Last edited:
Tim Howard and Jon Spector for Manchester United or Brad Friedel for Liverpool is probably the only argument you could make besides Weah right now. I think all qualified for UCL with those teams, but none won the league. That's probably what PSG would do in the EPL.

Off the top of my head, the only other clubs where we had players get meaningful minutes that even come close are:

Kirovski won a UCL medal at Dortmund, but I'm not sure they are a bigger club than PSG.
Onyewu at AC Milan (I'm not sure if he ever played much or at all there -- he did get into a fight with Zlatan though) and Liege when they were very good
John O'Brien at Ajax
CCV with Tottenham? Not sure if he's played an EPL game with them though or only cup matches.
Bradley for Roma

I racked my brain for 5 minutes thinking of these -- if anyone else remembers more please chime in! Didn't think Keller, Cherundolo, Reyna, or Bedoya's best finishes were worth listing, but all played on some good teams..
Brian McBride was a good goal scorer at Fulham.
Julian Green got some Champions League run for Bayern.
Reyna got some run at Man City before the oil money came in.
Dempsey was good at both Fulham and Tottenham.
Carlos Bocanegra got some good run at Fulham and in France as well.

Brian McBride was a good goal scorer at Fulham.
Julian Green got some Champions League run for Bayern.
Reyna got some run at Man City before the oil money came in.
Dempsey was good at both Fulham and Tottenham.
Carlos Bocanegra got some good run at Fulham and in France as well.

Green at Bayern and Dempsey at T'ham completely slipped my mind. Not sure if Green ever played meaningful minutes at Bayern. Kinda like a Gooch at AC story, I think?

Juicy tidbit came out today:

Report: David Moyes interested in becoming next USMNT manager

Moyes outperformed his peer teams for most of his career (Man U excluded). I would most definitely support that hire. My only big concern with him is that I can't remember him getting a result at Man U against teams he was battling with UCL spots for (Lpool/Tn'ham/Chelsea/MC/Everton/etc).

John O'Brien at Ajax
Bradley for Roma

Gooch to Milan had to be one of the dumbest moves ever.

He was playing behind Nesta and Thiago Silva. And Milan requires that its center backs be able to play out of the back. Nobody would ever have mistaken Gooch for Beckenbauer.

I don’t think he ever actually played for Milan in an official match although he was hurt and then loaned out.

Once he left Milan for Sporting, he began to get regular playing time again.

Jermaine Jones announces retirement today. Will never forget his GOLAZO in WC2014.

See what the young guns minus Pulisic have against Brazil tonight.

P.S. The World Cup in Russia was as bonkers in Russia as it appeared on TV. It's honestly an event everyone should witness in their lifetime. Truly a fantastic experience.

That penalty call was a bad call.
With that said Brazil has dominated this team.
USA-Brazil has been like Syracuse vs. Colgate in basketball.
One sided series.

That penalty call was a bad call.
With that said Brazil has dominated this team.
USA-Brazil has been like Syracuse vs. Colgate in basketball.
One sided series.

Despite the fact we do have a larger talent pool than maybe ever, it is maddening how directionless things are. Very little purpose or conviction in style of play and still a consistent rotation in friendly competitions.

Despite the fact we do have a larger talent pool than maybe ever, it is maddening how directionless things are. Very little purpose or conviction in style of play and still a consistent rotation in friendly competitions.
Outside of Julian Green our midfield has just sucked. They can’t keep possession and they can’t get the service for the forwards.
Mizaga and Brooks atleast look like solid defenders.
I wish Yedlin wasn’t playing in the back 4 and was a midfielder.
Wood is good but he has been given no help.
Brazil is obviously better.
Hopefully Weah can show something.

I am actually ok with it.

Play the young kids to see where they are and actully try to play vs bunkering and countering.

Would be suicidal in a real game but this is a friendly, so who cares.

Night and day quality difference between the two sides. Nobody should be surprised by that.

Outside of Julian Green our midfield has just sucked. They can’t keep possession and they can’t get the service for the forwards.
Mizaga and Brooks atleast look like solid defenders.
I wish Yedlin wasn’t playing in the back 4 and was a midfielder.
Wood is good but he has been given no help.
Brazil is obviously better.
Hopefully Weah can show something.
Yedlin’s touch is pure lead. No way he can play midfield.

Midfield simply not at their level. US simply not able to consistently play one and two touch soccer. Off ball movement also not good enough when being pressed. Combination of bad touches/passes with no outlets makes for a long night.

I think Miazga has been really good tonight.

Last edited:
I am actually ok with it.

Play the young kids to see where they are and actully try to play vs bunkering and countering.

Would be suicidal in a real game but this is a friendly, so who cares.

Night and day quality difference between the two sides. Nobody should be surprised by that.
Yeah even without Altidore, Pulisic the Brazilians outclass our talent.
When a stud like Willian is coming off the bench your team is loaded.

US looks like it has some solid pieces but it needs a number 8. Altidore/Wood look like solid forwards. Pulisic is best player.
I am hoping the midfield can include Weah and Pulisic for the next decade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom