UT ND... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UT ND...

sabach said:
Only four teams make the playoff. ND has little if any hope to make the playoff now. But they are not joining a conference so long as there is access to the playoff.

Yeah, we know. I was just pointing out how absurd it is. If ND played in the ACC, they'd have a conference championship and a shot at the playoffs still.

But at least they can still schedule those 3 extra OOC games. Probably the same thing.

If ND goes 11-1 or 10-2 and does not get into the playoff, it may just nudge them a little bit more toward full-time in the ACC. :)

SU68 said:
If ND goes 11-1 or 10-2 and does not get into the playoff, it may just nudge them a little bit more toward full-time in the ACC. :)

If they have only 10 wins you can forget about it. 11 is just about a closed door.

Yeah, we know. I was just pointing out how absurd it is. If ND played in the ACC, they'd have a conference championship and a shot at the playoffs still.

But at least they can still schedule those 3 extra OOC games. Probably the same thing.
The ability to play Navy every year and end the season playing in California and playing a national schedule is more important to ND than winning the ACC, even if that gets them a second chance at the playoff.

No chance. ND has already said that as long as they have some access to the playoff, they will not join a conference. Once the playoff goes to 8 teams, it becomes even less likely ND will ever join a conference.

I noticed the refs never had a problem keeping up with Texas even when they were going faster than we did. I really hope the ACC home cooking refs don't use it as another way to screw us.

sabach said:
The ability to play Navy every year and end the season playing in California and playing a national schedule is more important to ND than winning the ACC, even if that gets them a second chance at the playoff.

If they joined the ACC that would keep them from that? You still play Navy. The ACC would give them the same week and schedule it gives Clemson, FSU, and Louisville vs the SEC to play USC in California. You could still play Stanford too. Throw in a FCS at home and be done with it.

But I know. They won't. They value pseudo independence.

I swear almost anytime I have ND selected in a pool or on a bet they usually still win but don't cover. I'm glad they just flat out lost this time. If I'm losing because of them they better lose too.

Part of me was rooting for ND so they could be ranked as high as possible when we play them but honestly, I wish nothing but bad things for them until they join our conference full time. Screw em with this half in/half independent entitled nonsense.

Good luck making the CFB Playoff starting off with a loss and no ACC Championship available to you.

I noticed the refs never had a problem keeping up with Texas even when they were going faster than we did. I really hope the ACC home cooking refs don't use it as another way to screw us.

It was an ACC referee crew on the field. Big 12 in the replay booth. So that is a good sign.

I'm happy to keep the ND arrangement exactly as it is. They are a 5/8ths member of the conference with no championship game access. They provide a valuable handful of games every year for TV purposes. And ND gets to claim "independence" and satisfy their alums. It's win-win, may it go on forever.

I'm happy to keep the ND arrangement exactly as it is. They are a 5/8ths member of the conference with no championship game access. They provide a valuable handful of games every year for TV purposes. And ND gets to claim "independence" and satisfy their alums. It's win-win, may it go on forever.
As the ACC gets stronger in football, more good players will continue to join the league, knowing they have a chance to play, and beat Notre Dame on national TV. So yes its a win-win situation, and they don't get to win the Conference Championship, and spot in the playoffs.

A consolation prize? That is how I view a division or conference championship.

Trying to win every game going forward and getting a good bowl berth are things worth playing for as an independent.

ND in the ACC would have no better shot at the playoffs than as an independent. I don't see a two loss ACC champ in the playoffs, either.

Finally, what do the other 124 schools play football for, any more than ND, anyway? None of them are going to be in the playoffs.

And for everyone else this week one loss is something you can overcome to make the playoffs... But not ND.

I can easily see both the B-12 and P-12 champs having two losses. In fact I would say it is probable. Plenty of parity in both conferences and neither league has a team that stands out. Don't think either champ will be in the top six let alone the top four. Notre Dame's problem is they're not good enough to run the table as they're playing too many young guys, particularly on defense. I can see Houston sliding in to the mix.

Part of me was rooting for ND so they could be ranked as high as possible when we play them but honestly, I wish nothing but bad things for them until they join our conference full time. Screw em with this half in/half independent entitled nonsense.

Good luck making the CFB Playoff starting off with a loss and no ACC Championship available to you.

Even if they run the table they won't make it, their schedule is garbage. I don't want to hear anyone pimping them for the playoffs anymore.

There is obviously a fixation here on ND joining the ACC.

How would that benefit SU? Seems to me it would present two minor negatives - 1) another high level team that gets in SU's way in terms of fighting for high quality bowl berths; 2) a more focused competitor for high school talent in SU's region as it seems ND would then shift its recruiting focus more toward the east coast. Where are the positives?

From ND's perspective they would still have to edge out both Clemson and FSU to get the one playoff berth out of the ACC. Since these are probably two of the top five programs in the country that hardly seems like an easy path to the playoffs.

There is obviously a fixation here on ND joining the ACC.

How would that benefit SU? Seems to me it would present two minor negatives - 1) another high level team that gets in SU's way in terms of fighting for high quality bowl berths; 2) a more focused competitor for high school talent in SU's region as it seems ND would then shift its recruiting focus more toward the east coast. Where are the positives?

From ND's perspective they would still have to edge out both Clemson and FSU to get the one playoff berth out of the ACC. Since these are probably two of the top five programs in the country that hardly seems like an easy path to the playoffs.

Their done, a one loss Nd isn't getting in with their schedule, I would take a two loss sec team over them.

Their done, a one loss Nd isn't getting in with their schedule, I would take a two loss sec team over them.

I'll try again. How does ND joining the ACC help SU?

You might not have many two loss SEC teams. The SEC dominated last year but this year they don't look as strong. Unlikely anybody in the East will get in the playoff and Bama will roll over the western teams. Ole Miss has a shot but they would need to win tonight in a quasi road game against a top three team.

It doesn't, I am just talking about how lousy Nd's schedule is.

Hard to know how lousy. Stanford, Michigan State, Texas and USC could all turn out to be top 25 teams. Or not. Who knows? Other than you?

You might not have many two loss SEC teams. The SEC dominated last year but this year they don't look as strong. Unlikely anybody in the East will get in the playoff and Bama will roll over the western teams. Ole Miss has a shot but they would need to win tonight in a quasi road game against a top three team.

You are probably right, Before the season my four playoff teams were Alabama, Clemson, Tennessee, and Tcu.

Hard to know how lousy. Stanford, Michigan State, Texas and USC could all turn out to be top 25 teams. Or not. Who knows? Other than you?

Usc was vastly overrated at 20, and the rest of Nd's schedule is pitiful, they only play three actual road games this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom