Utica College is now Utica University | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Utica College is now Utica University

I cannot even imagine the price tag it would take to get their facilities to a D1 FCS level. Everything I've seen/played on there is fine for an average D3 school.
They use the Utica memorial aud for their hockey so I would assume they would use it for basketball as well. They would need to improve their football stadium, and they do have that humongous dome for year round practice.

Daemon, D’Youville, Roberts Wesleyan
Had to add my alma mater College of Staten Island to this list. Finishing their last year of transition to D2 this year. Will be a full member of the ECC in the fall. Go Dolphins!

They use the Utica memorial aud for their hockey so I would assume they would use it for basketball as well. They would need to improve their football stadium, and they do have that humongous dome for year round practice.
This is impressive as they lead all D3 hockey schools in attendance. Oswego came in 2nd and it's not even close. And they will be hosting the D3 Frozen Four in 2026. Big win for Utica.

This is impressive as they lead all D3 hockey schools in attendance. Oswego came in 2nd and it's not even close. And they will be hosting the D3 Frozen Four in 2026. Big win for Utica.
That chart is for D2 and D3 attendance. I looked at the D1 attendance and they would be around number 18. It would appear that they could move up to D1 in hockey.

That chart is for D2 and D3 attendance. I looked at the D1 attendance and they would be around number 18. It would appear that they could move up to D1 in hockey.
Yup. D2 hockey really isn't a thing. The only schools classified as D2 play in the Northeast 10 which Lemoyne is a member of but does not have a hockey team. So only seven schools nationwide play D2. It's kind of a weird thing.

It would be great for Utica to play D1 hockey.
Schools like RPI, Union, St Lawrence and Clarkson are D1 hockey but are D3 in most other sports. Hope they do it. Their program is at its pinnacle as far as success and popularity and they probably already give partial aid to their hockey players.

The only hold up might be the scheduling. ECAC plays its games on weekends in pairs to save on costs. At Colgate and Cornell. At RPI and Union. At Clarkson and St Lawrence. So Utica might need a partner. Like an Oswego.

Utica going D-1 in football is possibly the most far fetched thing I’ve ever heard.

What would be the point? There is zero potential to ever be good or draw fans. Small, private school located in an economically depressed area that doesn’t care about college football, with basically zero local D-1 talent nearby.

Hockey is one thing. Hoops and especially football is another.

Utica going D-1 in football is possibly the most far fetched thing I’ve ever heard.

What would be the point? There is zero potential to ever be good or draw fans. Small, private school located in an economically depressed area that doesn’t care about college football, with basically zero local D-1 talent nearby.

FCS DW. Also I was looking over their website and they just hired a new DC who has 8 years of G5 coaching experience. Well, 2 were at Coastal the last 2 years they were going up to FBS, 4 at USF and 2 at UMASS. That seems like a big hire if they are not going up. Their hoops team has been real good too.

FCS DW. Also I was looking over their website and they just hired a new DC who has 8 years of G5 coaching experience. Well, 2 were at Coastal the last 2 years they were going up to FBS, 4 at USF and 2 at UMASS. That seems like a big hire if they are not going up. Their hoops team has been real good too.
Coastal Carolina to Utica? Thoughts and prayers to the coach and his family.

Coastal Carolina to Utica? Thoughts and prayers to the coach and his family.
The guy is from the northeast and played college ball at Salisbury. Jamey McClendon. There are lots of nice places in the Utica area. And for the record I didn't sat Utica is going to D1/FCS. I said people I know who have contacts said they want to elevate their sports programs to enhance the schools image and that there are no D2 football playing schools upstate so they may be considering D1/FCS. Which I think would be fantastic.

The guy is from the northeast and played college ball at Salisbury. Jamey McClendon. There are lots of nice places in the Utica area. And for the record I didn't sat Utica is going to D1/FCS. I said people I know who have contacts said they want to elevate their sports programs to enhance the schools image and that there are no D2 football playing schools upstate so they may be considering D1/FCS. Which I think would be fantastic.
That's still a gigantic leap to FCS. I could see them doing it for hockey, though.

Wagner, New Haven and a lot of other small fry schools are FCS.
I believe you can only have one D1 sport at a D3 institution, so they would need to choose FCS football or hockey... or do both but have ALL sports go D1. I think going D1 hockey would be pretty doable for them and give them the most bang for their buck as the institution continues to grow and mature.

That's still a gigantic leap to FCS. I could see them doing it for hockey, though.

There are NCAA restrictions on the ability to move a single program to Division 1. I think all of the existing schools who are D1 are either D1 for all sports, or were grandfathered in like Hopkins and Hobart for lacrosse, RPI, Union, RIT, St. Lawrence, and Clarkson for hockey, etc.

I believe you can only have one D1 sport at a D3 institution, so they would need to choose FCS football or hockey... or do both but have ALL sports go D1. I think going D1 hockey would be pretty doable for them and give them the most bang for their buck as the institution continues to grow and mature.
I think they could go D1 hockey now. Seems like they are looking for more.

My daughter's college dorm room color theme.

I didn't like it then, either.

My daughter's college dorm room color theme.

I didn't like it then, either.

You caught this, right:

The new colors are the brainchild of A. Prilfeuls, an eccentric New York City-based painter and performance artist hired by the University as an “image consultant” in early 2022.

:)

You caught this, right:

The new colors are the brainchild of A. Prilfeuls, an eccentric New York City-based painter and performance artist hired by the University as an “image consultant” in early 2022.

:)
I did. And I thought, "oooooookay"

UC for a D-3 school has actually done a decent job in funding their athletic programs and the football program has come a long way from its start in the late 90's very early 2000's. That said moving to D1 is beyond a pipe dream. For starters under the new rules unless your grandfathered in any jump to D1 means all your sports are moving to D1. Schools like Hobart and Hopkins have D1 lax teams under the old rules and were grandfathered in.

Secondly the costs would be astronomical even with the hockey team and fball team decently positioned facility and support wise to make the move. Bball and the ancillary sports are no where near D1 funding or facility levels. Football as you noted would be a massive struggle to make a move to D1AA less D1 and the costs for that would be massive.

A move to D2 maybe possible but I can't see any move to D1 anytime in the future or my lifetime to be honest.

Last edited:
An Adirondack shade of green would have seemed more appropriate.

UC for a D-3 school has actually done a decent job in funding their athletic programs and the football program has come a long way from its start in the late 90's very early 2000's. That said moving to D1 is beyond a pipe dream. For starters under the new rules unless your grandfathered in any jump to D1 means all your sports are moving to D1. Schools like Hobart and Hopkins have D1 lax teams under the old rules and were grandfathered in.

Secondly the costs would be astronomical even with the hockey team and fball team decently positioned facility and support wise to make the move. Bball and the ancillary sports are no where near D1 funding or facility levels. Football as you noted would be a massive struggle to make a move to D1AA less D1 and the costs for that would be massive.

A move to D2 maybe possible but I can't see any move to D1 anytime in the future or my lifetime to be honest.
The hockey program is a strong money maker. The Aud is almost sold out every game and the move up would probably get more corporate support and at higher ticket prices.

The hockey program is a strong money maker. The Aud is almost sold out every game and the move up would probably get more corporate support and at higher ticket prices.

All that is true but unless there is a loophole where they can just bump Hockey to D1 and leave the other sports D3, its not financially viable.

All that is true but unless there is a loophole where they can just bump Hockey to D1 and leave the other sports D3, its not financially viable.
They look ambitious, it will be interesting to see what they come up with. They can use the Aud for their basketball home like they do for hockey, it's a nice facility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom