Va Tech Looked Pretty Good Last Night | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Looked Pretty Good Last Night

As a general proposition VT doesn't lose to bad teams, and rarely by 14pts to a bad team.

Considering how banged up we are, it's remarkable. We'll always have injuries, but we'll build better depth. Right now we're throwing true freshmen out there from the first recruiting class, which is traditionally a coach's weakest given the circumstances and timing.

Maybe the stars align and BC squeaks out a windy wet win tomorrow in a save your coach game off a bye week. But who would you rather be? A team with a true sophomore QB who is taking off in the new system, with a highly recruited freshman behind him, and a Top 100 recruit behind that? Or a program who relies on decreasingly talented 5th year QB transfers as your QB development program.

Short term, long term, you have to love where this is headed. (stupid columns by insecure unimaginative local columnist notwithstanding).

I am happy Virginia Tech rebounded. I am always disappointed when a team you upset loses again immediately afterwards. Off of the top of my head, I think 2002 Virginia Tech lost the following week, maybe 2012 Louisville too.

Considering how banged up we are, it's remarkable. We'll always have injuries, but we'll build better depth. Right now we're throwing true freshmen out there from the first recruiting class, which is traditionally a coach's weakest given the circumstances and timing.

Maybe the stars align and BC squeaks out a windy wet win tomorrow in a save your coach game off a bye week. But who would you rather be? A team with a true sophomore QB who is taking off in the new system, with a highly recruited freshman behind him, and a Top 100 recruit behind that? Or a program who relies on decreasingly talented 5th year QB transfers as your QB development program.

Short term, long term, you have to love where this is headed. (stupid columns by insecure unimaginative local columnist notwithstanding).

Really want to beat BC.

They might be the 3rd best team in the ACC this year. We were a little lucky last week in beating them.

They might be the 3rd best team in the ACC this year. We were a little lucky last week in beating them.
It was one of SU's "occasionally great" performances. Hopefully they'll be "consistently good" and have several (or a lot of) "great" performances thrown in.

Last edited:
Really want to beat BC.

I do too. You and I have been around long enough to know that was always a game we really wanted to win.

And between 12:30 and 3:30, anything I write here will clearly reflect that.

But if we don't, I know things still are and will be good. Haven't totally felt like that in awhile. Last week turned it. It was no fluke. There will be a lot more days like that in the Dome.

So last week I was at the game sitting in our season ticket section and we had a bunch of VT fans around us. There was a whole family behind our seats, a couple of kids and a few adults. Before kickoff two of the guys started talking and one asked the other if Syracuse was the only New York college football team. The other replied there is the University of Buffalo, then added Syracuse is only a little better than them. Their opinion changed by the end of the game. As they were leaving one guy tapped me on the shoulder and said something about us having one hell of a team, and one hell of a coach.

Last week was not a fluke.

You don't win all three phases, and dominate the 4th against a top 20 team as a one time thing.

I'll go back to the "bad loss" games that P had. When those happened they were almost all fluky multiple TO's, 1,2,3 pt games. Not 14 pt solid wins.
Agree with this entirely. VT is a good team. Last week, they played another good team that just happened to finally pull a full game together in all 3 phases; while at the same time, not playing their best game of the year. VT is not as bad as last week perceived them to be and Cuse is not as bad as the first 6 games of the season perceived them to be.

Keep building it up Dino. I'm happy I paid for my tickets to ride the roller coaster this year because the next few years will make the growing pains well worth it.

We'll know if we were lucky by how we finish. They may have looked past us and we may have played our best game of the year, or we may be seeing the progress of a team that has half a season under it's belt.

Last year, we all said we had turned the corned when he lost by 10 to a top 10 LSU team with our 5th string QB.

Not to dampen the mood...

So last week I was at the game sitting in our season ticket section and we had a bunch of VT fans around us. There was a whole family behind our seats, a couple of kids and a few adults. Before kickoff two of the guys started talking and one asked the other if Syracuse was the only New York college football team. The other replied there is the University of Buffalo, then added Syracuse is only a little better than them. Their opinion changed by the end of the game. As they were leaving one guy tapped me on the shoulder and said something about us having one hell of a team, and one hell of a coach.

Two VT fan stories from where we were sitting in the Tomcat section.

1. 20ish VT female fan, insert political incorrrect observation here, comes from two or three sections over after Williams INT, walks over to infront of the VT coaches box, yells "W.T.F WAS THAT" and double birds the VT OC. Applause and laughing ensues.

2. Father shows up in the 2nd half with his two boys, one looked maybe 10 the other in the 7 to 8 year old range. Remember this,

upload_2016-10-21_15-45-45.jpeg

Sort of felt bad, they weren't obnoxious or anything, but they were Hokie fans.

Last year, we all said we had turned the corned when he lost by 10 to a top 10 LSU team with our 5th string QB.

Not to dampen the mood...

So, you just peed in everybody's Cheerios, metaphorically - but
Not to dampen the mood.. :crazy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors