Vandy fires Derek Mason / hires Clark Lea | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Vandy fires Derek Mason / hires Clark Lea

Ok. Is that enough? Are Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga as desireable? There are 7 states with no state income tax. Are the cities in those states as desirable. There has to be more than just taxes.
Memphis is nice not as nice as Nashville never been to Knoxville or Chatanooga.

Knoxville is really nice - surprisingly so. Chattanooga is good, too.

The best part of Memphis is leaving with BBQ. The best part of the non-urban part of the state is leaving with the hopes that you might head to Blacksburg (to then drive through Blacksburg without stopping in your way to NOVA).

And, if you do leave the non-urban part of the state and find yourself in “not Virginia,” then you struck out.

I wonder what the perception is for people that live in places versus just visiting. I live in Knoxville. Anyone I talk to that has spent significant time in Memphis says to avoid it. Crime is pretty high. I guess if you're wealthy enough to live in a rich suburb it may be a good area.

I don't care for Knoxville. My wife and I hope to leave and get out toward the coast eventually.

Things like night life and trendy restaurants don't move the needle for me. I was never a night life person when I was young, and, now that I have kids, what little free time I have is family time mostly at home. Most people I know that cared about that stuff move it down the priority list once they have kids. I can see how they appeal to some people, but it shouldn't be assumed everyone wants it.

Why not?
Because Vanderbilt isn’t Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Auburn, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, or (possibly) Arkansas.

would he leave Wake? I’m pretty sure he would for the right offer. If Vandy the right offer? Lol, no.

Knoxville is really nice - surprisingly so. Chattanooga is good, too.

The best part of Memphis is leaving with BBQ. The best part of the non-urban part of the state is leaving with the hopes that you might head to Blacksburg (to then drive through Blacksburg without stopping in your way to NOVA).
I'm curious, how much time have you spent in Knoxville and what do you like about it?

Because Vanderbilt isn’t Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Auburn, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, or (possibly) Arkansas.

would he leave Wake? I’m pretty sure he would for the right offer. If Vandy the right offer? Lol, no.
Wake and Vandy are pretty much the same school. Why not get paid more and live in a nicer place?

Right on. Vanderbilt isn't the most popular football school in its own city. The similar challenges he has at Wake Forest are easier to overcome there than at Vanderbilt.

I wonder what the perception is for people that live in places versus just visiting. I live in Knoxville. Anyone I talk to that has spent significant time in Memphis says to avoid it. Crime is pretty high. I guess if you're wealthy enough to live in a rich suburb it may be a good area.

I don't care for Knoxville. My wife and I hope to leave and get out toward the coast eventually.

Things like night life and trendy restaurants don't move the needle for me. I was never a night life person when I was young, and, now that I have kids, what little free time I have is family time mostly at home. Most people I know that cared about that stuff move it down the priority list once they have kids. I can see how they appeal to some people, but it shouldn't be assumed everyone wants it.
I've never been to Knoxville. Spent a few days in Memphis and a few days in Nashville. I fell in love with Nashville and know others who have as well. It might be the hottest city in the US right now.

I'm curious, how much time have you spent in Knoxville and what do you like about it?
I spent about 20 years in Middle Tennessee, so passing through, but passing through a lot. And, I like the stuff that you mentioned not liking in an earlier post. But live in Houston and St. Louis, and you might have a newfound appreciation for nice restaurants, nightlife, civic pride, safety, and so on.

Last edited:
Wake and Vandy are pretty much the same school. Why not get paid more and live in a nicer place?
For starters who said he’s getting paid more? Also, would you trade a sure thing for a risky lateral move? Beyond that, playing Clemson + FSU + ACC schedule isn’t exactly the same as UF, UGA, USCarolina, and UT + roll your dice with 2 games against the SEC West. I know UT has been down for a while, but they have a 100K stadium and are within recruiting distance of the Carolinas, Virginia, and Georgia, and they have a yearly game against Alabama. They don’t be down forever. Lastly, I don’t know much about Winston Salem, but NC is generally not a bad state. My guess it’s a lateral trade in terms of living standard, unless you’re really into bad food (RIP meat and 3’s), traffic, and southern hipsters (who make Brooklyn hipsters seem like a God send).

While I’m at it, at least UNC, NCSU, Duke, and UVA look at Wake football as legitimate and care about the game. Kentucky (might) see Vandy as legitimate and care (but even then, I doubt it), and nobody in Nashville knows/cares, now that there’s a soccer team in town, and the new hip team for out-of-towners to pretend to support is Nashville FC (never mind being overshadowed by Tennessee and the Titans - when they’re good - in the city itself).

Right on. Vanderbilt isn't the most popular football school in its own city. The similar challenges he has at Wake Forest are easier to overcome there than at Vanderbilt.

I would think it is easier to recruit to an SEC school than an ACC school. All those kids he gets from Fla, GA, Texas wouldn't it be an easier sell? Vandy doesn't have a big following but with the same success he would see an extra 10k in the stands than he does at Wake. You are also selling a more interesting city to the kids.

For starters who said he’s getting paid more? Also, would you trade a sure thing for a risky lateral move? Beyond that, playing Clemson + FSU + ACC schedule isn’t exactly the same as UF, UGA, USCarolina, and UT + roll your dice with 2 games against the SEC West. I know UT has been down for a while, but they have a 100K stadium and are within recruiting distance of the Carolinas, Virginia, and Georgia, and they have a yearly game against Alabama. They don’t be down forever. Lastly, I don’t know much about Winston Salem, but NC is generally not a bad state. My guess it’s a lateral trade in terms of living standard, unless you’re really into bad food (RIP meat and 3’s), traffic, and southern hipsters (who make Brooklyn hipsters seem like a God send).
Sec money is greater than Acc money. Fsu is a blueblood they aren't going to be down forever. Wake is not a good job take the money the better standard of living and best conference in the country.

Sec money is greater than Acc money. Fsu is a blueblood they aren't going to be down forever. Wake is not a good job take the money the better standard of living and best conference in the country.
Again, who said Vandy is spending the money? And nobody said FSU would be down forever. The difference is that the ACC is a 2 dog race when they’re up. The SEC East is a 2 dog race with UT and USCarolina down (not to mention the yearly double dose of crossover kicks in the teeth courtesy of the SEC West).

To your point, take the money (by keeping your job and not risking it over a lateral move with no upside). Then jump to an actual big school if/when they come calling. Blowing that opportunity for no reason isn’t reasonable.

Money and resources. Plus it is the SEC the top of CFB. SC, Mizzou, Tenn, UK, Ole Miss are all currently beatable. If you can go 2-3 against those guys you can make a Bowl.

There is no way Clawson leaves WF for Vandy. There are a few P5 schools that can poach another P5 school's HC; Vandy isn't one of them.

Again, who said Vandy is spending the money? And nobody said FSU would be down forever. The difference is that the ACC is a 2 dog race when they’re up. The SEC East is a 2 dog race with UT and USCarolina down.

To your point, take the money (by keeping your job and not risking it over a lateral move with no upside). Then jump to an actual big school if/when they come calling. Blowing that opportunity for no reason isn’t reasonable.
I don't know if they are but they have the money. South Carolina down? When are they up?

There is no way Clawson leaves WF for Vandy. There are a few P5 schools that can poach another P5 school's HC; Vandy isn't one of them.
Bingo.

Vandy poaching WF is a joke.

I don't know if they are but they have the money. South Carolina down? When are they up?
Well, I’ll take Spurrier’s 3 consecutive 11 win seasons at USCarolina over the last decade over any 3 seasons SU seasons that you want to pick in the last 30 years, and I’d take any one of them over any SU season that you want to pick in the last 20.

Trade SU for Vandy, and I think my statement still stands.

Work a million hours, live in a big house and golf as the escape, assuming he's married not sure what the difference is. Clawson can win a little more at Wake.

Vandy Coach has gotten Vandy to two bowl game wins in his tenure there...

think the next guy turns it around? I doubt it. Bet you love the backup qbs too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom