Verse | Syracusefan.com

Verse

charleston

Walk On
Did anyone notice the segment on Verse when they listed all the teams that recruited him from the transfer portal Cuse was not listed...and Norvel called him 30 minutes after he went on??..are we that arrogant?

I remember Dino sprinting across the field after that Albany game and speaking with Verse. I’m no fan of Dino at the moment but there must be more to that story

Did anyone notice the segment on Verse when they listed all the teams that recruited him from the transfer portal Cuse was not listed...and Norvel called him 30 minutes after he went on??..are we that arrogant?

I too was shocked!!

I thought we were one of the final schools? If you watched the intro last night on him we weren’t even at the table of those he was considering?

Maybe that was a play by the ACC Network but according to them we weren’t in the chase.

I too was shocked!!

I thought we were one of the final schools? If you watched the intro last night on him we weren’t even at the table of those he was considering?

Maybe that was a play by the ACC Network but according to them we weren’t in the chase.

We were his first offer when he entered into the portal

We were his first offer, but we were never a consideration. I wouldn’t call it arrogant, but we had orange colored glasses on.

We were his first offer, but we were never a consideration. I wouldn’t call it arrogant, but we had orange colored glasses on.

I don't think that's an accurate portrayal of how things went down.

Our coaches were all-in on Verse, after our game against Albany. We were the first team to offer him. Our chances were viewed as being highly positive at first.

BUT... as we have seen, Verse is a high first round draft pick caliber talent. We weren't the only school to see that, and his offer list started blowing up. Whereas he liked us initially, he suddenly had numerous blue chip offers to pick from, and he made the pick he thought was best for him.

Tough to land a kid when he's got numerous big time offers. We wouldn't land a kid over those types of schools coming out of HS, and this was the same playing out with the portal.

I don't think that's an accurate portrayal of how things went down.

Our coaches were all-in on Verse, after our game against Albany. We were the first team to offer him. Our chances were viewed as being highly positive at first.

BUT... as we have seen, Verse is a high first round draft pick caliber talent. We weren't the only school to see that, and his offer list started blowing up. Whereas he liked us initially, he suddenly had numerous blue chip offers to pick from, and he made the pick he thought was best for him.

Tough to land a kid when he's got numerous big time offers. We wouldn't land a kid over those types of schools coming out of HS, and this was the same playing out with the portal.
The staff going all in and the kid reciprocating are two very different things. I’m not saying the staff did a bad job. I’m also not saying you are wrong, but there was never a chance of us landing him once the blue chips got involved. We were not a consideration at the end as he clearly pointed out.

The staff going all in and the kid reciprocating are two very different things. I’m not saying the staff did a bad job. I’m also not saying you are wrong, but there was never a chance of us landing him once the blue chips got involved. We were not a consideration at the end as he clearly pointed out.

So then what are you disagreeing with? The staff thought they'd identified a high potential, under the radar transfer and pulled out all the stops to land him.

They came very close to doing so. But once the offers started rolling in, the kid appropriately [for him] pushed the pause button, re-evaluated, and made the decision he thought would advance his NFL hopes the most.

We were one of his official visits. We were the first P5 school to offer Verse. Not sure why some feel the need to criticize the staff on how this was handled.

So then what are you disagreeing with? The staff thought they'd identified a high potential, under the radar transfer and pulled out all the stops to land him.

They came very close to doing so. But once the offers started rolling in, the kid appropriately [for him] pushed the pause button, re-evaluated, and made the decision he thought would advance his NFL hopes the most.

We were one of his official visits. We were the first P5 school to offer Verse. Not sure why some feel the need to criticize the staff on how this was handled.
I am disagreeing with the statement that we were close to landing him. The blue bloods were all over him the minute he went into the portal and could sign. We were an official visit to show appreciation for recruiting him so hard. He chose between FSU and Tennessee with SU nowhere in the picture other than window dressing.

Again, I’m not criticizing the staff. I am simply re-stating what Verse has said in multiple interviews and on multiple occasions. SU has never been mentioned in the lists of schools he was truly considering and he has been asked quite a few times.

What is the evidence that we were “very close to landing him”?

Why should he come here when we didn't offer him out of HS and he had to drop down a level?

I am disagreeing with the statement that we were close to landing him. The blue bloods were all over him the minute he went into the portal and could sign. We were an official visit to show appreciation for recruiting him so hard. He chose between FSU and Tennessee with SU nowhere in the picture other than window dressing.

Again, I’m not criticizing the staff. I am simply re-stating what Verse has said in multiple interviews and on multiple occasions. SU has never been mentioned in the lists of schools he was truly considering and he has been asked quite a few times.

We WERE close to landing him, prior to his opportunities expanding. Then he decided to expand his focus.

I don't disagree that we weren't in the picture at the end. When we didn't get a commitment after his visit, I knew our chances were toast. The staff felt extremely positive about our chances prior to him blowing up, and that they had a strong opportunity to get his signature on the dotted line. You can choose to not believe that, but don't shoot the messenger.

This is an example of what happens at SU and doesn’t matter who is coaching. They will never get a player that has big time offers and you can’t win 9-10 games a season without big time players. Maybe once every ten years you might get lucky and have a ten win season. SU can‘t compete on the recruiting trail and it’s been proven the past 20 years.

There is a great poster here who a first hand source that disagrees with this.

Not getting Verse was rough but we only would have had him for this season anyway and our losses were due to an anemic offense. We still would be 6-4 and he would be going to the draft and probably not even playing in our bowl game. So it’s whatever.

There is a great poster here who a first hand source that disagrees with this.
Ok, so why has he never once mentioned SU following his commitment? I'm honestly curious because that also says something about the image of the program, coaching staff, and the ability of SU to recruit 4-star level talent. He willingly mentions Tennessee and Louisville as considerations. Sure, Tennessee is a blue blood that is finally good again after 20 years and Louisville has gone to a few bowl games. Interesting.

Ok, so why has he never once mentioned SU following his commitment? I'm honestly curious because that also says something about the image of the program, coaching staff, and the ability of SU to recruit 4-star level talent. He willingly mentions Tennessee and Louisville as considerations. Sure, Tennessee is a blue blood that is finally good again after 20 years and Louisville has gone to a few bowl games. Interesting.

Maybe it says more about him.

I'm impressed how he worked to improve his body during the pandemic on his own. Also discouraging that our S & C and lack of Football nutritionist is unable to do the same thing for some of our players. Linton comes to mind when I see Verse causing havoc.

Crazytown, New York (JC Gazette) - Homecoming Queen (aka 'HoCo Q') went to the prom with Billy O'Hoolihan. When interviewed by the high school paper, the Wildcat Gazette, on who were her suitors, she said that Jim Triple, Tom McDichael and Bryce Chad were also in the running.

A devastated Mitch Jones was a broken man-boy standing, head down, near his locker as he knew, deep down, he also gave his most chivalrous effort, but hadn’t been recognized publicly, for failing, in securing the HoCo Q's company for the prom. He had known there was a true connection between him and the HoCo Q from the day she moved, an unspoken bond, akin to the JLH and Ethan Embry story line from the classic old movie, Can't Hardly Wait (side note, shipping Amanda Beckett and Preston Meyers is our jam here at the Gazette).

The ‘We Love Mitch Jones’ fan club, that doubled as the party wing of the Wildcat Physics Club, sent representative Shelley James to the Gazette, wearing a morbid t-shirt that said, 'Old physicists don’t die; their wavefunctions go to zero as time goes to infinity', stating that, "while true love hasn't been found yet between Mitch and HoCo Q, we're certain that we'll find another late 90s RomCom that will prove that Mitch and HoCo Q are meant to be together."

At the after prom party, when the Gazette caught HoCo Q at the Wildcat-shaped CBD gummies station and asked pointedly why she left out Mitch Jones from her list of suitors, she responded, "Who cares? Billy, Jim, Tom, Bryce, Mitch... could have been that super rich kid, what's his name - Dilly or some weird rich person name? Point is, doesn't matter. I'm going to Stanford next year and dualing in CompSci and Business and going to be a gajillionaire soon. None of these guys matter. Also, Mitch will be fine, he should have asked Shelley James with her creepy t-shirts, she's low-key awesome."
-----------------

Two points: 1) I can't imagine this post lands with anyone outside of of maybe OttoinGrotto and 2) who cares if he didn't mention us?

Doesn't matter. We shot our shot, didn't land. Doesn't matter if he didn't include us in his list of people he denied.

who cares if he didn't mention us?

Doesn't matter. We shot our shot, didn't land. Doesn't matter if he didn't include us in his list of people he denied.

You’re right, it doesn’t really matter. But does potentially give a sense of his character. We were the first or one of the first D1 schools to recognize his talent and let him know he belonged. So to not mention that shows who he is, IMO. But again, who cares at the end of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom