Very few players have gotten better lately | Syracusefan.com

Very few players have gotten better lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony DeFranco

2nd String
Battle has gotten better but he was very talented day 1 - Howard, Chukwu, Brissett, Sidibe, Marek, - not one has improved an iota

Only player that comes to mind that I can say really improved was Rak

Last edited:
incorrect

Howard has improved greatly in his time, even if he is still a frustrating and very incomplete player

Marek is also significantly better than the beginning of last year, but needs to get more involved and aggressive (which is partially of the staff to make happen)

O and Sid have definitely regressed since last year, Chucky is still tall

Howard has definetely improved from this first year... the improvement to his junior year was amazing. Unfortunately, it seems like he has regressed a tad from his jr year.

People have insulted me and attacked me for being harsh on Marek last season.

I will say he’s improved tremendously. We’re .500 right now without him or close to it. He needs to touch the ball more and keep progrressing his confidence in shooting open shots.

It’s unfair to judge Frank coming off an injury with so much depending on him as a senior guard. Oshae playing like he’s lost, and chukwu looking like he’s given up is making Frank and by the looks of it Hughes work twice as hard.

Battle looks awesome, but how can you expect much more of him.

People have insulted me and attacked me for being harsh on Marek last season.

I will say he’s improved tremendously. We’re .500 right now without him or close to it. He needs to touch the ball more and keep progrressing his confidence in shooting open shots.

It’s unfair to judge Frank coming off an injury with so much depending on him as a senior guard. Oshae playing like he’s lost, and chukwu looking like he’s given up is making Frank and by the looks of it Hughes work twice as hard.

Battle looks awesome, but how can you expect much more of him.

Oshae is maddening right now.

This guy is gonna be a damn first rounder this June?

I look at guy like Trevor Cooney who from his Sophomore year to Senior year didn’t get better. Our player development from coaches is not good.
Part of the frustration Cooney got was he was the same player all 3 years. That is on the coaches.
Gbinije did get better, Rak did get better, Grant did get better but not overall player development has been poor.

Howard has gotten a lot better. Can shoot it with regularity and the handle isn't loose like it was.

Marek improved a bunch last season alone as they got him to shoot it.

Sidibe has been hurt, that's a bit unfair.

Chuwku is a little better from year one but I hope no one was expecting much.

Chuwku is a little better from year one but I hope no one was expecting much.

There have been numerous threads here on how people honestly hope that PC applies for a 6th year. No one has ever actually explained why they want this to happen.

Battle has gotten better but he was very talented day 1 - Howard, Chukwu, Brissett, Sidibe, Marek, - not one has improved an iota

Christmas didn't become a true factor until his senior year. If he played like that earlier, he may have been a lottery pick.

Re: development. The players aren't working hard enough or the assistants are doing their job. SU needs a big man coach and a true S&C coach.

Christmas didn't become a true factor until his senior year. If he played like that earlier, he may have been a lottery pick.

Re: development. The players aren't working hard enough or the assistants are doing their job. SU needs a big man coach and a true S&C coach.

needing a true big man coach is a tired excuse. we've had several good big men over the years and never had a big man coach who played the position or who was even tall. most schools don't. duke's done pretty well and their big man coach was a swingman.

Um if you’re going back to Rak then MikeG showed huge improvement

On the other hand, both were top 30 guys coming out of high school. I'm not saying they didn't improve, just saying that they weren't some talentless heaps or garbage coming in.

Last edited:

I don't agree. There are countless players who have improved. Howard has improved greatly. Also Silent G, Cooney, Rak, Tyler Lydon.

I look at guy like Trevor Cooney who from his Sophomore year to Senior year didn’t get better. Our player development from coaches is not good.
Part of the frustration Cooney got was he was the same player all 3 years. That is on the coaches.
Gbinije did get better, Rak did get better, Grant did get better but not overall player development has been poor.

Cooney may or may not have got better, but he was still about 6 percent more efficient overall during his career than Oshae and Oshae is a forward. Ridiculous.

Cooney may or may not have got better, but he was still about 6 percent more efficient overall during his career than Oshae and Oshae is a forward. Ridiculous.
Oshae has regressed from last year but last year was a lot from the kid who wasn’t a highly rated kid. He was good but Oshae doesn’t have a midrange game and has developed a dribble attack game like a Kris Joseph.
Oshae has shown he can try and post and I wish he would more.

Player development is from coaching. The entire staff not a single coach either. Oshae can’t make the NBA but just making 3’s he needs to be able to do more. He is likely back next year.

I thought Cooney improved quite a bit with his ball handling, strength/athleticism, and defense, from his Sophomore to Senior year. He just didn't become that much better at three point shooting, which is what fans actually expected of him. I actually liked his improvement in those other areas quite a lot.

I thought Cooney improved quite a bit with his ball handling, strength/athleticism, and defense, from his Sophomore to Senior year. He just didn't become that much better at three point shooting, which is what fans actually expected of him. I actually liked his improvement in those other areas quite a lot.
Don’t want to go that far off topic while I would agree his D became elite I don’t think the ball handling was much different. The assists/turnover ratio didn’t improve. Cooney was a player who had too much on his plate and that wasn’t his fault.

Frank and Marek have improved. Chukwu technically improved from a shot blocker who can't catch a ball to a shot blocker who occasionally gets lucky and holds onto the ball. That's something.

Sidibe has been hampered by injury. I think he'll be a better upperclassman than a lot of people think.

OB is currently playing like a high school sophomore .

Frank and Marek have improved. Chukwu technically improved from a shot blocker who can't catch a ball to a shot blocker who occasionally gets lucky and holds onto the ball. That's something.

Sidibe has been hampered by injury. I think he'll be a better upperclassman than a lot of people think.

OB is currently playing like a high school sophomore .
Dolezaj has not improved to this point, especially considering his numbers last season were boosted by a strong finish that many expected to see carry over. Per 40 minutes, his rebounds are down fom 6.9 to 5.6, and his shots are down from 5.7 to 4.9. I realize he is playing more of his minutes at center, but he needs to look more aggressively for his shot than he has to this point wherever he is playing.

Frank has in no way improved, but that is attributable to injury, and I fully expect him to eventually return to the high level of play we saw from him offensively and defensively in conference last season.

Last edited:
Dolezaj has not improved to this point, especially considering his numbers last season were boosted by a strong finish that many expected to see carry over. Per 40 minutes, his rebounds are down fom 6.9 to 5.6, and his shots are down from 5.7 to 4.9. I realize he is playing more of his minutes at center, but he needs to look more aggressively for his shot than he has to this point wherever he is playing.

Frank has in no way improved, but that is attributable to injury, and I fully expect him to eventually return to the high level of play we saw from him offensively and defensively in conference last season.

Frank is better than he was as an underclassman. That's obvious to me, at least. Marek is not in a situation where the staff or teammates see him as any better than the 4th scoring option on the court. If he's playing center, he's the last option. I don't know how much he can do about that.

I was referencing improvement from where the guys started when they joined the program. If we're measuring against their best stretch of games from last season, then nobody on this team has improved except Carey and Hughes solely cuz they didn't play.

Player development is from coaching. .

Yeah that’s nonsense. The coaches can’t be there all the time. It’s on the players to do the work to get better. You had no idea what was going on in practice, yet you blame the coaches. Ridiculous.

Frank is better than he was as an underclassman. That's obvious to me, at least. Marek is not in a situation where the staff or teammates see him as any better than the 4th scoring option on the court. If he's playing center, he's the last option. I don't know how much he can do about that.

I was referencing improvement from where the guys started when they joined the program. If we're measuring against their best stretch of games from last season, then nobody on this team has improved except Carey and Hughes solely cuz they didn't play.
Sorry, I read you wrong on Frank. He has no doubt improved dramatically from the player he was as an underclassman.

I still think Marek has regressed and passes up decent looks like a guy who has been told not to shoot, which I am sure is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom