Very Very Very Bad start for McDonald | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Very Very Very Bad start for McDonald

He made a huge pick and flipped the field.

Krautman's been here a long time. D1 guys make that kick.

It wasn't a pick. He picked up a ball lying on the ground and started running where there happened to be no one to tackle him until 50 yards downfield.

And he couldn't juke a freakin' offensive lineman for the score!

I've reached the point with Krautman where I celebrate like Gramatica if he makes a 30 yarder, and shrug my shoulders with a 'meh' when he misses. He's conditioned me to zero expectations.

But his twitter feed is so awesome! ;) (Ok not a twitter person so have no clue what if anything he said tonight. ) ;)

I understand a two back system. But when one back is getting 2 yards a carry and the other is getting nearly 5... i think you stick with the hot hand there. 16 touches just wasn't enough for 'rome.

Lets be honest. The offense was so bad, it's hard to point out the problem. Right side of line, WR, play calling? QB?.

Enough potential issues.

Lets let the next two games play our before we deteirmune a source.

It is funny you point out the right side of the line, since the only two times I can remember us running Jerome to the left, he had a 22 yard gain and a 12 yard touchdown. So clearly the left side is the strength of our line.

I understand a two back system. But when one back is getting 2 yards a carry and the other is getting nearly 5... i think you stick with the hot hand there. 16 touches just wasn't enough for 'rome.

Not only that, but he had a nice gain on the only target he got in the passing game (as far as I can remember, he was only targeted once). When we weren't trying to jam Jerome straight up the middle, he was really doing some pretty solid things out there. We just couldn't get away from the old "run up the gut" play.

It's hard to evaluate Allen after watching a clutch QB like Ryan Nassib perform the last few years. With Ryan under center and 2 minutes left at mid-field less than a TD down, this would have been a W. That said, and even though Allen was rusty as hell, I like him and think he'll wind up being a good QB for us once he gets his game legs.

Unfortunately, it's going to get worse before it gets better. He's telegraphing his throws. He's erratic, couldn't get the O into a rhythm and had trouble reading coverages. This was not the "multiple" I was looking for.

But he's got great size and the stones to hang in the pocket. I like how he converted a couple of those long third down plays. And he has a heck of an arm. He needs 'field-savvy' ... and it's going to take a while.

From the stands I saw total confusion on offense. lost count how many times Allen was trying to figure out the play from the sideline. Allen and the receivers were not on the same page on numerous plays. thought D played well overall.

With Ryan Nassib playing QB, and 2 minutes left at mid-field less than a TD down, this would have been a W. That said, and even though Allen was rusty as hell, I like him and think he'll wind up being a good QB for us once he gets his game legs.

Unfortunately, it's going to get worse before it gets better. He's telegraphing his throws. He's erratic, couldn't get the O into a rhythm and had trouble reading coverages. This was not the "multiple" I was looking for.

But he's got great size and the stones to hang in the pocket. I like how he converted a couple of those long third down plays. And he has a heck of an arm. He needs 'field-savvy' ... and it's going to take a while.

I don't disagree with your first sentence, but here's the thing - Nassib had the luxury of not only Hickey at one tackle, but Pugh at the other, along with Chibane, and he also had Lemon and Sales on the outside, and those two are so far and away better than anything we have at WR right now it's not even funny.

Ryan made big plays but he had an awful lot of talent around him. Talent that it would appear we can't match right now, no matter who is at QB.

I don't disagree with your first sentence, but here's the thing - Nassib had the luxury of not only Hickey at one tackle, but Pugh at the other, along with Chibane, and he also had Lemon and Sales on the outside, and those two are so far and away better than anything we have at WR right now it's not even funny.

Ryan made big plays but he had an awful lot of talent around him. Talent that it would appear we can't match right now, no matter who is at QB.

Good points ... Allen was trying to hit guys that (except for Kobena a Broyld a few times) weren't getting any separation. And the plays took too long to come in and were predictable (runs were almost all dives off-tackle that got stuffed). Obviously, it's all "new" right now for the coaches as well as Allen.

Watching this Clemson/Georgia game we need WR's bottom line. Lucky for us Coach McDonald seems to be able to get good ones. But we lack talent at that position in a major way.

Please more Kendall Moore back to Tackle because we need him.

That offense was Pop Warner level. No misdirection, Not the pistol, Ole Miss vs Vandy runs the pistol beautifully. Allen never kept the ball, handing the ball continually up the middle when the running backs have no momentum, you can't play action the running backs when QB is standing there, Why fake if the QB never keeps the ball? No wide plays with OL zone blocking so the RB can pick a hole, getting plays called with 8 seconds left on the clock, close ups on Drew Allen's face were hilarious, he was pissed and rolling his eyes because McDonald couldn't get a play to him, that's what you get when a WR coach calls plays in his first game, he couldn't get the play quick enough to call the plays, then his players couldn't hear him to line up correctly, he was looking at his wristband with around 10 seconds on the playclock. McDonald spent the summer traveling to Pro teams to learn how to be a Offensive Coordinator, bad hire, we needed someone with experience. All that confusion for continual simple runs up the middle. Really?
Why couldn't Schafer keep Hackett's playbook which was diverse and hire someone who knows how the rhythem of playcalling and setting up plays with other plays. All our offense knew it from last yr but Allen and McDonald. It seemed there was so much confusion I think Drew Allen just kept on calling simple dive plays. The Offense is a mess. We have coaches learning on the job. Oh by the way, Defense was awesome.

It was the first game big stage new players on O at many key positions all of that i understand and i expected some issues. What is inexcusable is that McDonald did nt have his act together. Forget the play calling he just didnt do a go job. Look at how Obrian handled a rookie QB. Very little confusion everything crisp. Mcdonald got too cute for his own good. Way too many looks and formations for a new QB and many new starters. He should have simplified the play book and sped up the tempo. Playing slow took our advantage away. This was not a good job by George actually a disaster. Lets hope that he improves quickly

It was the first game big stage new players on O at many key positions all of that i understand and i expected some issues. What is inexcusable is that McDonald did nt have his act together. Forget the play calling he just didnt do a go job. Look at how Obrian handled a rookie QB. Very little confusion everything crisp. Mcdonald got too cute for his own good. Way too many looks and formations for a new QB and many new starters. He should have simplified the play book and sped up the tempo. Playing slow took our advantage away. This was not a good job by George actually a disaster. Lets hope that he improves quickly
Looks and formations? We only ran one running play the whole game. Shotgun hand off to running back behind QB between the tackles. That was 80% of the plays. I could have called that game.

I barely ever blame coaching but the offense was a complete mess guys out of position. Plays coming in late. It was really embarrassing to be honest.

As jake said not sure who to blame but this must improve

we were out coached.

the OC, badly so.

you guys want more sweeps???!!

did anyone not see us not make one for a qtr or 2?? eventually they just gave it to us because the play calling was so horrible.

It wasn't a pick. He picked up a ball lying on the ground and started running where there happened to be no one to tackle him until 50 yards downfield.

And he couldn't juke a freakin' offensive lineman for the score!

I've reached the point with Krautman where I celebrate like Gramatica if he makes a 30 yarder, and shrug my shoulders with a 'meh' when he misses. He's conditioned me to zero expectations.

That's actually a harder play than a pick.

I am generally very positive. That being said, due to a wedding I was only able to watch via text today. McDonald's offense seemed to be a variation of multiple short passes. Not to say we dont have playmakers, but we certainly arent the most athletic in the ACC. If we dont open it up, Allen will have an uneventful season. I am a diehard Orange (Men), but I struggled tonight without seeing it live. Please tell me I missed something. Because from the text, it seemed our defense played more than admirably and our offense was sub par at best.

I am generally very positive. That being said, due to a wedding I was only able to watch via text today. McDonald's offense seemed to be a variation of multiple short passes. Not to say we dont have playmakers, but we certainly arent the most athletic in the ACC. If we dont open it up, Allen will have an uneventful season. I am a diehard Orange (Men), but I struggled tonight without seeing it live. Please tell me I missed something. Because from the text, it seemed our defense played more than admirably and our offense was sub par at best.

I think you got it right. My concern is that the offense was subpar because that's all *we* got. Granted this year Penn St is still an above average team. Need a couple more games to let things filter out imho.

The idiots whining and bitching. Problem with that?
My original post in this thread was pure sarcasm. I know better than to judge after one game...now two games...under the freaking bus! <- More sarcasm ;)

SU will be fine.
Agreed. So many changes this year on the offensive side. Need time to figure it out. I imagine if Allen had Sales and Lemon to throw too the result today might have been different. They do have options (roster changes) to tinker with. LGO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom