Virginia’s style of play is trash. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia’s style of play is trash.

The guy who made the shot was 0-5 from the floor in the game and 0-3 from 3.

For the SEASON, he was 8-34 from 3.

He is EXACTLY who you want taking that last shot.

He was, BY FAR, their worst offensive option on the floor.
Eh I rather the 5”9 PG make a contested floater over Marek with bodies around him than a wide open catch and shoot 3 but I can understand the strategy.

Eh I rather the 5”9 PG make a contested floater over Marek with bodies around him than a wide open catch and shoot 3 but I can understand the strategy.
The more likely negative outcome with Clark roaming in the lane is a lob to Huff at the rim. We've seen that a few times this season.

The more likely negative outcome with Clark roaming in the lane is a lob to Huff at the rim. We've seen that a few times this season.
Or an offensive tip. Game well played. A star emerged. We lost to a good team. Next

Last edited:
I don't think many are complaining about the dude who shot the shot as much as him being so WIDE open in that moment. Perhaps, those 8-34 numbers you point out reflect a percentage where many of his shots were at least somewhat CONTESTED. This wasn't the case at all in that buzzer beater, he had all the time in the world to set his feet squarely, catch (adjust his fingers on the label of the ball) and shoot. GAME OVER in that particular situation likely 50% of the time at this level of college hoops.
You are wrong.

Guys who shoot 25% from 3 don't take contested threes, unless they find themselves with the ball out beyond the three point line and the shot clock about to expire.

Guerrier shoots 30% from three and virtually all of his threes are wide-open threes and he still shoots 30%. In fact, teams give him that shot until he proves he can hit it. If he hits a couple, they will guard him at the line and he will respond, not by taking a contested 3 but by putting the ball on the deck or moving inside.

Kadary shoots 22% from three and has an open three anytime he wants it. Nobody guards him at the line. And he shoots 22%.

There is absolutely no reason to think that Beekman is somehow this great shooter who teams run off the line because he would shoot 50% from three if left open.

You are wrong.

Guys who shoot 25% from 3 don't take contested threes, unless they find themselves with the ball out beyond the three point line and the shot clock about to expire.

Guerrier shoots 30% from three and virtually all of his threes are wide-open threes and he still shoots 30%. In fact, teams give him that shot until he proves he can hit it. If he hits a couple, they will guard him at the line and he will respond, not by taking a contested 3 but by putting the ball on the deck or moving inside.

Kadary shoots 22% from three and has an open three anytime he wants it. Nobody guards him at the line. And he shoots 22%.

There is absolutely no reason to think that Beekman is somehow this great shooter who teams run off the line because he would shoot 50% from three if left open.

This. Great post Forza.

You are wrong.

Ha, you're "wrong" first remark is so fitting...you just can't help yourself.

That aside, I do agree with your points as it pertains specifically to our two guys you mention. However, I'm not persuaded enough by your limited examples/data that your 'matter of fact' assertion applies universally and in all cases as you imply.

Have you watched every UVA game in which Beekman has played in this year to assess whether your 'across the board' parallel is indeed accurate? I haven't, however, from what I saw, his form, stroke, etc. looked pretty sweet from my lens. Additionally, he's only a freshman, so perhaps he's simply adjusting/adapting to the speed of game, etc. and those numbers are a reflection of that vs. his lack of overall shooting prowess. He was pretty much a 4 star recruit across the board.

Moreover, I wasn't referencing Beekman specifically making that 50% of the time in that situation, but rather the broader scope of players at this high level of play. I'll admit, I threw that number out of thin air/frustration to make my main point. Which is, you just can't leave a guy that wide open, with all the time in the world to set his feet, adjust the ball in his hands, step into the shot, etc. in that moment.

Last edited:
nm that’s all.

Yup, winning is soooooo overrated. Bennett could take a page from Boeheim. I mean there is nothing more aesthetically pleasing than a 180 lbs five flying out to the corner to defend a three, and setting screens 25 ft from the hoop while on offense, amirite?

Ha, your "wrong" first remark is so fitting...you just can't help yourself.

That aside, I do agree with your points as it pertains specifically to our two guys you mention. However, I'm not persuaded enough by your limited examples/data that your 'matter of fact' assertion applies universally and in all cases as you imply.

Have you watched every UVA game in which Beekman has played in this year to assess whether your 'across the board' parallel is indeed accurate? I haven't, however, from what I saw, his form, stroke, etc. looked pretty sweet from my lens. Additionally, he's only a freshman, so perhaps he's simply adjusting/adapting to the speed of game, etc. and those numbers are a reflection of that vs. his lack of overall shooting prowess. He was pretty much a 4 star recruit across the board.

Moreover, I wasn't referencing Beekman specifically making that 50% of the time in that situation, but rather the broader scope of players at this high level of play. I'll admit, I threw that number out of thin air/frustration to make my main point. Which is, you just can't leave a guy that wide open, with all the time in the world to set his feet, adjust the ball in his hands, step into the shot, etc. in that moment.
Good response. I'll play.

Buddy had Hauser. Q and MD were doubling Huff. I am fairly certain that Beekman was intentionally left alone. In fact, when Clark penetrated MD stepped and Q stayed with Huff. It was only after Clark passed to Beekman that Q left Huff, from underneath the basket, to get to Beekman.

JB played the percentages, as he always does, and refused to allow Hauser or Huff or Murphy to beat him. For a team with as many weapons as Virginia has, you cannot take away everything and this is also clearly not our 2013 defense. I thought it was the right move.

You may be right about Beekman. He may end up being a 40% shooter from 3. Plenty of really good shooters struggle as freshman (wave to DNic - he says Hi). But, at least this year, he is not a good shooter and JB bet he wouldn't hit the shot.

Good response. I'll play.

Buddy had Hauser. Q and MD were doubling Huff. I am fairly certain that Beekman was intentionally left alone. In fact, when Clark penetrated MD stepped and Q stayed with Huff. It was only after Clark passed to Beekman that Q left Huff, from underneath the basket, to get to Beekman.

JB played the percentages, as he always does, and refused to allow Hauser or Huff or Murphy to beat him. For a team with as many weapons as Virginia has, you cannot take away everything and this is also clearly not our 2013 defense. I thought it was the right move.

You may be right about Beekman. He may end up being a 40% shooter from 3. Plenty of really good shooters struggle as freshman (wave to DNic - he says Hi). But, at least this year, he is not a good shooter and JB bet he wouldn't hit the shot.

I'm in agreement with much of this. It's been a couple of days and then some since the game, and my recollection is quite similar to what you wrote in your first paragraph. I would add, that Buddy did have Hauser, initially, but cheated and came off him once Clark got by Kadary on the left side of the key.

At or around the same time, Q left Beekman and cheated towards the paint and then stayed there as you mentioned once Clark got deeper in the lane, while simultaneously MD moved off Huff and towards Clark. Again, this is based upon my recollection after watching numerous birds eye type replays on ESPN where they showed (and froze/stopped the footage) how our D completely collapsed around Clark.

The replays also show how Buddy is just standing there watching with his arms completed down at his sides vs. being up in a defensive position. I'm of the viewpoint, that if Buddy had given full defensive effort vs. just watching the play unfold there, it's possible/probable that he disrupts Clark's passing lane, at least to some degree, due to Clark's short stature. In doing so, who knows how things ultimately unfold. But hindsight is always 20-20. Once Clark's pass got to a wide open Beekman, he had all the time in the world get set/get the shot off. Q's run out towards him from his position at that point was futile.

You didn't answer my inquiry in regards to how often you've seen UVA/Beekman play this season. In any event, that's fine if you want to maintain your opinion/position of him currently not being a good shooter, but that doesn't mean it's true. I wonder what Bennett thinks about his shooting prowess? Perhaps he, as JB often spews, would say he doesn't miss in practice. As I mentioned, I saw a guy that appeared to have solid form and a very good looking stroke in shooting that buzzer beater.

I don't disagree (with all of UVA's options as you mentioned) that JB wouldn't take the bet of Beekman hitting the shot, however, I'm not convinced he was okay with those odds with him being as wide open as he was. I think, if I recall correctly, immediately afterwards the camera panning on JB, and JB still staring outwards towards the opposite end of the court where the crushing play just occurred. While staring outward, his arms were up in a way, signalling to his culprit player that just made the defensive blunder. To me, that was an indication along the lines of..."Houston, we have a problem."

Last edited:
FWIW, the general consensus on our board is that Beekman is in a game primarily for handling the ball and defense. Any points we get from him are icing on the cake. He will take over as the sole starting point guard when Clark leaves.

FWIW, the general consensus on our board is that Beekman is in a game primarily for handling the ball and defense. Any points we get from him are icing on the cake. He will take over as the sole starting point guard when Clark leaves.

Interesting. So, I guess he was in on UVA's final possession at game's end, hanging out on the wing, just in case they turned the ball over his D would stop any jail break type run out. ;)

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with much of this. It's been a couple of days and then some since the game, and my recollection is quite similar to what you wrote in your first paragraph. I would add, that Buddy did have Hauser, initially, but cheated and came off him once Clark got by Kadary on the left side of the key.

At or around the same time, Q left Beekman and cheated towards the paint and then stayed there as you mentioned once Clark got deeper in the lane, while simultaneously MD moved off Huff and towards Clark. Again, this is based upon my recollection after watching numerous birds eye type replays on ESPN where they showed (and froze/stopped the footage) how our D completely collapsed around Clark.

The replays also show how Buddy is just standing there watching with his arms completed down at his sides vs. being up in a defensive position. I'm of the viewpoint, that if Buddy had given full defensive effort vs. just watching the play unfold there, it's possible/probable that he disrupts Clark's passing lane, at least to some degree, due to Clark's short stature. In doing so, who knows how things ultimately unfold. But hindsight is always 20-20. Once Clark's pass got to a wide open Beekman, he had all the time in the world get set/get the shot off. Q's run out towards him from his position at that point was futile.

You didn't answer my inquiry in regards to how often you've seen UVA/Beekman play this season. In any event, that's fine if you want to maintain your opinion/position of him currently not being a good shooter, but that doesn't mean it's true. I wonder what Bennett thinks about his shooting prowess? Perhaps he, as JB often spews, would say he doesn't miss in practice. As I mentioned, I saw a guy that appeared to have solid form and a very good looking stroke in shooting that buzzer beater.

I don't disagree (with all of UVA's options as you mentioned) that JB wouldn't take the bet of Beekman hitting the shot, however, I'm not convinced he was okay with those odds with him being as wide open as he was. I think, if I recall correctly, immediately afterwards the camera panning on JB, and JB still staring outwards towards the opposite end of the court where the crushing play just occurred. While staring outward, his arms were up in a way, signalling to his culprit player that just made the defensive blunder. To me, that was an indication along the lines of..."Houston, we have a problem."
This would be where I would be fascinated to hear JB's take.

Buddy is cheating but he is far enough down to not be able to get back to Hauser. if he comes down any further, I think he opens up the pass back to Hauser. If, in fact, someone did blow an assignment, I honestly have no idea who is was. Buddy was closer to Beekman but he has to leave Hauser to get there and Q was doubling Huff. If it was anyone, maybe it was Kadary letting Clark get into the lane but the kid was playing on one leg...

I have probably seen Virginia 4 or 5 times this year but that would not help. I don't watch neutral games the same way I watch an SU game and I am usually also doing something else, like cooking or eating or bills or whatever...and even if I did, with beekman only having shot 35 threes in 20-something games, the odds of me having focused on beekman shooting a 3 are about nil. I am going strictly off of shooting percentages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom