Virginia at UNC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia at UNC

but it's dead when the opponent gets it, that's the point. no fast break opportunities on offensive fouls, travels, losing the ball out of bounds.
I took him to mean the ball was live when the turnover happened, that's why I could figure out what a dead ball turnover was, until jdubs30 set me straight. I what you're saying, though.

Is there such a thing as a dead ball turnover? I can't think of one. At least a realistic one.

Travel on a baseline inbound play where player thinks they can run the baseline. 5 second inbounding violation. Player steps inbounds before inbounding.

But that’s not what he’s talking about when he says liveball turnover. Liveball means it goes over to the other team with play continuing. Dead ball means the turnover results in a stoppage in play.

Travel on a baseline inbound play where player thinks they can run the baseline. 5 second inbounding violation. Player steps inbounds before inbounding.
Show off.

1549936770739.gif

Those are good examples of dead ball turnovers. I just don't see the need to draw a distinction other than trying to over analyze. A turnover is a turnover, live ball or dead ball.

But that’s not what he’s talking about when he says liveball turnover. Liveball means it goes over to the other team with play continuing. Dead ball means the turnover results in a stoppage in play.
If 4 or 5 more people can tell me, it just might sink into this thick skull of mine. I must have left my stupid hat on tonight. :oops:

Those are good examples of dead ball turnovers. I just don't see the need to draw a distinction other than trying to over analyze. A turnover is a turnover, live ball or dead ball.
A live ball turnover is much worse. Teams tend to score off of those.

If 4 or 5 more people can tell me, it just might sink into this thick skull of mine. I must have left my stupid hat on tonight. :oops:

Or maybe you took your smart hat off... bah zing!

A live ball turnover is much worse. Teams tend to score off of those.

The vast majority of turnovers are live ball turnovers. That's why I don't see the need to draw a distinction coupled with the fact that when you use the term a half dozen times in the game (no exaggeration) then you're beating it to death.

Hey did you know that live ball turnovers oftentimes lead to points!

JB actually has a quicker hook on dead ball turnovers than live......he doesn't have to wait for the next stoppage to get the offender out.

Hey did you know that live ball turnovers oftentimes lead to points!

JB actually has a quicker hook on dead ball turnovers than live...he doesn't have to wait for the next stoppage to get the offender out.
I'm surprised they don't differentiate on stats.

For instance, Carey's turnovers have been live ball turnovers and have a lot worse affect on the team than Hughes losing the ball out of bounds or someone else's travel. Smallish difference but something that could be distinguished nonetheless.

The vast majority of turnovers are live ball turnovers. That's why I don't see the need to draw a distinction coupled with the fact that when you use the term a half dozen times in the game (no exaggeration) then you're beating it to death.
incorrect
live ball turnovers are always credited as steals. in our best years, they represent about 60% of opponents' turnovers. this year, it's about 50/50, 193 steals vs. 188 dead ball turnovers

if you want to bash bilas for over-complicating it by referring to steals as live ball turnovers, i'm with you. he has a penchant for such things, like "score the ball"

incorrect
live ball turnovers are always credited as steals. in our best years, they represent about 60% of opponents' turnovers. this year, it's about 50/50, 193 steals vs. 188 dead ball turnovers

if you want to bash bilas for over-complicating it by referring to steals as live ball turnovers, i'm with you. he has a penchant for such things, like "score the ball"

Yeah to me it's just too much of an effort of trying to show how smart he is with excessive analysis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom