Virginia Game Preview (4/24/21, Noon) | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game Preview (4/24/21, Noon)

Powellfan

All American
The Orange are in desperate need of a win, and face-off against the Virginia Cavaliers for the second time this season. After beating the Cavs 20-10 earlier in the year, you'd think the Orange would be confident in their re-match. However, Syracuse is desperately lacking in confidence having been blown out by ACC teams in two of their last three games and having their leading goal scorer suspended. Most people probably think there is more of a chance UVA wins by 10, than the Orange. But its put up or shut up time for Syracuse, as they need a win in their last two games to be tournament eligible. Lots of questions abound, not sure there are many answers unfortunately.

Its been discussed a lot already, but the newest crisis for the Orange is how to replace Chase Scanlan, who has been suspended indefinitely. I think most people expect Owen Seebold to move down low, which I think is the right call. He's a better dodger than Scanlan but does not have the shooting acumen. The thinking is that perhaps without Scanlan in the lineup, others will step up and feel more involved, addition by subtraction if you will. Scanlan has shot the ball 68 times this year, the next closest is Tucker Dordevic at just 55. So yes, there are a lot of shots to make up for. And as Ted from LaxFactor pointed out, perhaps the offense will flow better with another dodger. Of course there are still question marks on the offensive side of the ball including but not limited to the fact that: Trimboli is still struggling to find the back of the net, Owen Hiltz looks to have hit a freshmen wall, scoring just 5 points in the last three games, and just a general lack of flow. Also the second midfield losses their biggest producer, leaving just Lucas Quinn as a consistiant producer. I think the UVA defense can be scored on, they are very athletic but the Orange usually has good luck with them. But still they'll have to play smart and incorporating a new starter on offense will be a test. Of course, this says nothing of the fact that the offense is not the reason that Syracuse is losing games ...

The face-off and defensive units have really struggled this year. The biggest role reversal from the first UVA-SU game of course has been the trajectory of the two FOGOs. Jakob Phaup won 22-33 against Petey LaSalla, but has struggled mightily since then. LaSalla on the other hand looks like one of the best FOGOs in the country winning almost 70 percent of his face-offs. Given his success in the last time they met, I think you still start with Phaup, but you have to make a quick change if it looks like he's struggling (its pretty obvious early in games to tell when he doesn't have "it"). Danny Varello actually looked okay against UNC winning 11-19, but he still struggles to control the ball after a win. Lots of people are high on Jack Savage, and while he was thrown to the wolves late in the year, he still has a pretty dismal win percentage of 33% and only one groundball on the year. So not the best options for the Orange.

If they don't win face-offs of course, your giving the Cavs offense more opportunities against a porous defense. The Orange played the Cavs tough last time out, limiting them to 10 goals with Mitch Wykoff holding Matt Moore to just 1 assist. Virginia does seem to be playing, and sharing the ball much better, but they still can get sucked into hero ball. I think if the Orange just focus on their matchups and don't try and worry about slides, they might do okay, but I've thought that about UNC and Notre Dame and that went down the drain fast. It doesn't help that Syracuse still might be without a regular SSDM in Aviles or a starting long stick in DiPietro. Hopefully they come back soon, because it really doesn't look like the Orange has better options on the bench in the defensive department.

Anyways, trying to stay positive, as the season is not over yet, but as Bob Dylan said, "it's not dark yet, but it's getting there". Side note, but I feel like I've used that quote a lot over these past few years with the Orange. Just hard to fathom how low the confidence I have in the Orange in winning this game, even though they blew this team out of the water earlier this season. Maybe all the Orange need is a spark, and maybe the offensive changes provide a jolt to the system. Maybe Phaup gets confidence from the fact he won this matchup earlier in the year and goes on a role. Maybe the defense gets a few early stops and realizes they can in fact hang with the big boys. Lots of maybes, which means lots of issues. But maybe is better than no, so hopefully they seize on that. Go Orange.

Who are the legit options to move to that attack spot?
Seebold
Cook
Ferris
Berkman

And people here or on the lax Facebook group mentioned on or the first middies and just bumping Buttermore or someone up to 1st?

Who are the legit options to move to that attack spot?
Seebold
Cook
Ferris
Berkman

And people here or on the lax Facebook group mentioned on or the first middies and just bumping Buttermore or someone up to 1st?
berkman is unlikely re: experience and this is a crucial 2 game period. only chance he is absolutely killing it in practice.
ferris is unlikely as a lefty and experience level.
1sts - doubt breaking them up and losing a shorty matchup.

seebold and cook -- they went with cook game 1. this would seem to be production vs. previous coach call. and isn't cook lefty predominantly? don't know, he rarely shoots.

berkman is unlikely re: experience and this is a crucial 2 game period. only chance he is absolutely killing it in practice.
ferris is unlikely as a lefty and experience level.
1sts - doubt breaking them up and losing a shorty matchup.

seebold and cook -- they went with cook game 1. this would seem to be production vs. previous coach call. and isn't cook lefty predominantly? don't know, he rarely shoots.

Cook is a righty though he is pretty ambidextrous. I think if they don't go with him it would be a pretty big indictment that he wouldn't get a spot on attack next year, no? Which also just really makes me wonder why he is getting the playing time that he is? It just doesn't make sense. Syracuse has a host of midfielders, I have to imagine at least one of them would have scored more than two points this season? There might be two spots open on attack next year and not just one, but it still doesn't look like its working to have him at midfield.

Desko on how Virginia's offense has evolved throughout the year: "I think they're just getting more comfortable with themselves ... They've had moments of really sharing the ball really well." Not relying just on certainly players creating off the dodge anymore.

Desko on the suspension of Chase Scanlan and how his players have handled it: "I think the team is, they're dealing with it fairly well." Said he doesn't know the length of the suspension — whether it's one game, the season, or extends beyond that.

Desko said that Jacob Buttermore likely won't play this weekend against UVA, and he'll know about Buttermore's long-term status soon. Said that there's "a chance" Nick DiPietro and Brandon Aviles return from injuries this week (but it doesn't sound likely).

Desko said he should know early next week if Syracuse will schedule a game to replace the canceled Utah one on May 8.

Last edited:
I’m glad I’m traveling on Saturday, so that I can’t watch the game live. Things are just not looking good. From #1 in the country last year, to potentially last in the ACC this year. :(

Cook is a righty though he is pretty ambidextrous. I think if they don't go with him it would be a pretty big indictment that he wouldn't get a spot on attack next year, no? Which also just really makes me wonder why he is getting the playing time that he is? It just doesn't make sense. Syracuse has a host of midfielders, I have to imagine at least one of them would have scored more than two points this season? There might be two spots open on attack next year and not just one, but it still doesn't look like its working to have him at midfield.
I am thinking wishfully too. When I stop though, I remember the years long problem with depth. UVA can plug in 3 or 4 middies for Aitken without losing much. SU cannot find anyone who could replace Scanlan's production - period. I search for attitude in this game more than performance. If the team fights even from way behind, I will be reassured. It's next year and the next I am concerned about.

Tim Barber is back on board with Cuse lacrosse

kind of a weird comparator given unc was 3 and 1 and tied for 1st in the acc reg season. and uva was in the middle of a substantial acc winless streak and finished 7 and 8.

Tim Barber is back on board with Cuse lacrosse

" Don't ever take sides with anyone against the family again. Ever.” – Michael Corleone.

Please to see Barber's tweet. Happy to know he still bleeds orange .

Team is unfortunately depleted across the board. Hoping possession time is even, officiating and weather don't matter and for team to play their best.

The Weather Channel website says there's a 96% chance of rain on Saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom