Virginia Gameday... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Gameday...

Btw was suppose to be laughing emoji with the spallina comment as joke cause if he is as good as games i’ve seen him and people talk clearly he will be involved right away.

Olexo needlessly slides to help Kennedy, who stumbles a bit while guarding Kirst, so a bit of forgiveness can be given to Saam. But what is Murphy doing here? Besides ball watching? Who is he guarding on this play? No one is guarding Kelleher on this play that's for sure, who just so happens to score the game winning goal. Freeze it on :04 seconds, not a single defender within 10 yards of the shooter. I think Rice is supposed to be guarding him, but in the span of 4 seconds he switches onto two different Cornell players. This is coming out of a timeout too I beleive. I frankly don't know who's to blame for this, but it is dismal. Two simple passes and game over without Cornell having to do much of anything. And it keeps happening! Over and over again I could post this stuff. Maybe it simply is the players, since they weren't much better last year with a different coach, as Caccamo and Rice are the only new players. But at some point doesn't a coach have to change up formations to suit his skill level? The constant sliding and switching just leaves SU defenders lost in the wash.

Would love to know what they're supposed to be doing but when watching this #90 looks lost. I think the first slide is fine, the SSDM gets a little lucky cause he loses his man to, but he ends up being in position and then Olexo recovers to the SSDM mid guy. To me that's how it should go. But what is #90 doing here?? He's so far out of position.

What I think happened here, if you watch the Cornell middie roll over the top, #90 moves to cover him. I wonder if he thinks that's his guy??? He then crashes so deep in the hole its like he's completely unaware there's another middie up top which is actually his man. If he stays high showing on the back side of the top middle middie, the one who rolled over, then the shot doesn't get off because he's in position.

...plus initially the SSDM the way he's turned makes me wonder if he's worried about back side cutters, but positioned this way (right or wrong) his back is to the ball so he's late to recognize the initial aj slide. He ends up fine but still...#90 though, he's a mile away when his guy catches the ball. He's the breakdown here. He should've never been where he is,.

Last edited:
Honestly i don’t hate the schedule at all. Think it’s smart in way cause more rank teams play better chances beating few and getting at large. Which first acc needs a 6th team and tournament. Not just so have conference automatic but also so acc (clearly not this year) don’t take 5 at large bids possibly taking spot or two from a growing school deserving a shot. Would suggest need 6th team in acc or expand the field by least 4 more teams. To many schools are growing and getting better each year and always least one if not two teams get snubbed. But anyway i like schedule think if we wanna get this program back to what it was we need to schedule top teams and win leaving no doubt that we are back. I think only getting better when play best plus the more great teams play the better experience cause playoffs usually get the best teams and their best games. Yes maby a soft game here n there not a total cupcake but think stoney brooke hobart even a robert morris who will normally play you tough are good soft games but not cupcakes. Clearly things been diff with hiltz and some other injuries we had hurt bad also. The thing i’m most upset with is losing curry after this year. He has been sensational this year and really blew my mind. He will most certainly be hard to replace and think with birtwhisle stepping up you almost have to put tuck back at mid next year to have experience and leader in first mid specially since hiltz be back and have spallina coming in ( if spallina proves and earns starting spot ). B Curry you will be missed and even tho would have to go off completely in this last game hope you catch and beat your dads record and thank you for the amazing effort and heart you showed since walked on campus.
It's doubtful that the NCAA tournament will be expanded because there already are allegations that there are too many in the tournament now in relation to the number of D-1 MLax teams. The NCAA's goal is to have it as close as possible to 50/50 between auto bids and at-large bids.

I'm in the camp that believes the ACC really needs to have 7 teams, so the newbies are "playing for 6th place" and not "ending up in 6th place" for a bunch of years.

It's doubtful that the NCAA tournament will be expanded because there already are allegations that there are too many in the tournament now in relation to the number of D-1 MLax teams. The NCAA's goal is to have it as close as possible to 50/50 between auto bids and at-large bids.

I'm in the camp that believes the ACC really needs to have 7 teams, so the newbies are "playing for 6th place" and not "ending up in 6th place" for a bunch of years.
The number of teams in the NCAA tournament in most every sport and in every division is a reflection of the number of teams in that sport. Want more teams in the tournament? Get more schools to add DI lacrosse.

The growth of DII lacrosse is the reason they have recently expanded past 4 tournament teams.

Would love to know what they're supposed to be doing but when watching this #90 looks lost. I think the first slide is fine, the SSDM gets a little lucky cause he loses his man to, but he ends up being in position and then Olexo recovers to the SSDM mid guy. To me that's how it should go. But what is #90 doing here?? He's so far out of position.

What I think happened here, if you watch the Cornell middie roll over the top, #90 moves to cover him. I wonder if he thinks that's his guy??? He then crashes so deep in the hole its like he's completely unaware there's another middie up top which is actually his man. If he stays high showing on the back side of the top middle middie, the one who rolled over, then the shot doesn't get off because he's in position.

...plus initially the SSDM the way he's turned makes me wonder if he's worried about back side cutters, but positioned this way (right or wrong) his back is to the ball so he's late to recognize the initial aj slide. He ends up fine but still...#90 though, he's a mile away when his guy catches the ball. He's the breakdown here. He should've never been where he is,.

Murphy (90) is marking 41 who starts high right side in a traditional middie position despite being an attackman.

#41 is Cornell's leading scorer and went 6&3 that day (I don't know if they were mostly against Murphy). I expect the scouting report would've been slow to slide away from 41.

I can also understand Murphy being slow to leave him open in the slot if he'd already been torched for most of those 6 goals.

Props to CU for motioning their leading scorer into the most dangerous spot to help collapse the defense. I think they bet SU would be slow to slide off 41 and that would eventually open an alley for a drive or step down rip.

Murphy (90) is marking 41 who starts high right side in a traditional middie position despite being an attackman.

#41 is Cornell's leading scorer and went 6&3 that day (I don't know if they were mostly against Murphy). I expect the scouting report would've been slow to slide away from 41.

I can also understand Murphy being slow to leave him open in the slot if he'd already been torched for most of those 6 goals.

Props to CU for motioning their leading scorer into the most dangerous spot to help collapse the defense. I think they bet SU would be slow to slide off 41 and that would eventually open an alley for a drive or step down rip.

That's great info thanks. You're right about Murph then being slow to leave. We can't see what happens up top out of frame. I'd guess then that maybe those two middies switched up top ? Looks like maybe #41 lined up outside where Murph starts then cuts across, which would explain why Murph looks like he's covering him because he is. #41 bait and switch (almost looks like he's gonna seal there to) and then the shooter rolled over to the back side. Good play. Definitely props to CU. Simple but good. Seems our D gets caught up a lot in these little simplistic plays. Crazy to that Cornell can create such a wheel effect even up.

I was wrong to blame #90 on that.

That's great info thanks. You're right about Murph then being slow to leave. We can't see what happens up top out of frame. I'd guess then that maybe those two middies switched up top ? Looks like maybe #41 lined up outside where Murph starts then cuts across, which would explain why Murph looks like he's covering him because he is. #41 bait and switch (almost looks like he's gonna seal there to) and then the shooter rolled over to the back side. Good play. Definitely props to CU. Simple but good. Seems our D gets caught up a lot in these little simplistic plays. Crazy to that Cornell can create such a wheel effect even up.

I was wrong to blame #90 on that.

Murph's had a rough year but I also wonder about what he (and the rest of the D) are being taught by Petro.

Others have alluded to the complexity of Petro's scheme. I think it's clearly slowing guys down which is never a good thing for defense in any sport.

Murph's had a rough year but I also wonder about what he (and the rest of the D) are being taught by Petro.

Others have alluded to the complexity of Petro's scheme. I think it's clearly slowing guys down which is never a good thing for defense in any sport.

I've watched that clip 100 times now and froze the frame at every second. Guess I'm bored stiff today lol. Great case study though, I'd love the coaches to chalk talk through this. The initial aj slide call I think is open to debate, it sure was a long slide that started the whole thing.

Designed play but without that initial slide the play doesn't work. They must have known we'd slide aj and early. Their spacing is great here. I'm fairly certain #41 was supposed to seal that SSDM #12 but he ended up not having to.

This clip the Cornell mid is just making the pass to the shooter. Murph should've probably been tighter to #41. May or may not have prevented the shot. idk. But the other pole who closes, got lucky there to. His man #1? fades behind GLE, but if he follows his slide he's wide open to with maybe even a better shot.

1651001405424.png

Shooter just starting his step down

1651001537454.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online