Virginia Gameday... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Gameday...

One last thing once again heard least two times in huddle petro say what he wanted to do and even march at once and the players on field not do remotely close to what was said. So wondering if players just arnt do what is being said for whatever reason may be. Clearly if they didn’t like their coaches or faith in them don’t think they play with so much heart as they had this year. Been long and painful year but let’s end it in good note and hopefully ruin notre dame season or least let’s not let them come into our home and blow us out of water before even boat is in.

I noticed that to. March specifically drew something up that the huddle tv cameras caught and as soon as the whistle blew the player with the ball did something entirely different. I’ll have to go back and watch the sequence. I forget who the player was.

We need a few kids with Kennedys intensity but why is he trying to get through a triple team with a pole. Those types of plays are maddening.

When Kyle Fetterly says on the post-game radio show that we were simply "outathleticed" by Virginia, and that we need to take a good look at our recruiting evals going forward, he's not wrong.
If teams like Army & Albany have more talent all over the field, and Hobart about as much, there is only so much you can do. Hope that next year's class is a significant talent upgrade.

Last edited:
I noticed that to. March specifically drew something up that the huddle tv cameras caught and as soon as the whistle blew the player with the ball did something entirely different. I’ll have to go back and watch the sequence. I forget who the player was.

We need a few kids with Kennedys intensity but why is he trying to get through a triple team with a pole. Those types of plays are maddening.
saw/heard the same. he said something to the effect of the ball carrier should continue through and not stop, if shot not there, move the ball to next man. the ball carrier stopped, got double teamed, lost possession. That's not on the coach. out of a timeout, they had a really nice play where Curry initiated, drew the defense to him and then passed to Birtwhistle for a goal. They could have been running variations of this all day.

Right now I think I go Hiltz, Birtwistle, Spallina and move Dordevic to mid.

Need to get some more poles. I think I’d try and flip that Chechen kid going to Lehigh.
Don’t disagree but Finley Thompson is also in the mix… think they are the starting 5 between attack and 1st mid

If teams like Army & Albany have more talent all over the field, and Hobart about as much, there is only so much you can do. Hope that next year's class is a significant talent upgrade.
Not sure I agree about Albany having more talent than us. This years result was an anomaly. We have ACC talent, but we don't have the shear quantity this year. (Our rope unit is young, promising and will continue to get better) -Others have mentioned in the past, but the former staff had quite a few misses in recruiting in '18, '19 and "20 - whereas the other ACC teams did not. We have seen the result of these misses this year.

Last edited:
With next weekends game vs ND completely meaningless, Savage and/or Fine should be taking every face off. They need real reps vs ACC opponents for the coaches to benchmark for next year.
No, you don't run a graduating senior into the ground for 350 or so straight faceoffs and then relieve him in his last Cuse game. Expecting Phaup to be out for every single one and Ill be applauding regardlesss of any results as kid gives his all. Cuse will need to bring in a fogo preferable two

Heard some fairly concerning things after the game from unnamed players and parents Re: Gaiit.

Fairly disengaged , players with promise not necessarily sidelined early in season due to injury , guys being run into the ground at practice hugely contributing to the walking wounded , refusal to make adjustments even when suggested by other coaches , talk about the future focused on future players snd not on developing etc etc ..who knows but even if some if those are true , that’s not a positive

On the flip side. Rave reviews on Petro who seems to have connected with the players

My assessment is a potential significant exodus to portal ..

Let’s see how we do from here but the leash won’t be long if this continues

I would have preferred a different outcome but Virginia's passing was crisp and accurate with fewer turnovers and more ground balls. Our offense performed well with 15 goals but still too much ISO for my taste. I'm was impressed with Birtwistle and Kennedy. I wished Kennedy had one more year.
Kennedy will be missed, some PLL team will be very fortunate to pickup. A tremendous lsm, was a excellent on ball defender this year at close agaisnt a bevy of top ones. Cuse placed him on wing a few times on Saturday and noticed a immediate difference. Had a great career from his first day here as did Curry . Both are tremendous kids and competitors.Hope the fans appreciate all those moving on next week and give them a nice round of applause.

Birtwhistle is a talent. Pray that it was his minor injuries holding him back from being on field rather than offensive coaches not recognizing. What impresses is how seamlessly he fit into attack and how efficient he has been with a repertoire of shots. Nothing forced. Id keep him at attack if Dordevic signs off playing mid again. Remember that Hiltz is very good at mid and Spallina allows him to orchestrate from up top if Tucker wants to stay low. Word of caution ,,Tucker would look very good replacing Moore in UVA lineup.

Heard some fairly concerning things after the game from unnamed players and parents Re: Gaiit.

Fairly disengaged , players with promise not necessarily sidelined early in season due to injury , guys being run into the ground at practice hugely contributing to the walking wounded , refusal to make adjustments even when suggested by other coaches , talk about the future focused on future players snd not on developing etc etc ..who knows but even if some if those are true , that’s not a positive

On the flip side. Rave reviews on Petro who seems to have connected with the players

Yep

Let’s see how we do from here but the leash won’t be long if this continuesK
I would take those comment
Yep
Perhaps those comments ought to be taken with a grain of salt. If you're not playing, then you, or your parents, may certainly be disgruntled. I think more telling are the clips of Petro telling players what to do and they go out and do exactly what they were told not to do.

Go down the roster. If your reaction isn't "Who are these guys?", then I don't know what to tell you.

Portal cleaning may be just what the doctor ordered.

But said this team needs more assisted goals n feel we had more then normal. Tuck even had few good looks that weren’t caught by other players one being cordes believe dropped one but happy he was looking to dish. Think tuck needs to use his double teams as way to move ball opposite side fast to open guy. Also feel we try to much to break a double team instead of passing it. Can’t say enough how losing curry next year is really gonna hurt so i backup the discussion move tuck to mid again next year n go with hiltz joey birt.
Curry had a strong second half. His accuracy really improved and his ability to rip with either hand off run makes him special. Team oriented and unselfish, his motor was always running despite logging such heavy minutes. Didnt have the expected mids for better part of year so mostly poled with many doubles coming yet still highly productive. Another who hit the field from day one , those aren't easily replaced

My personal opinion but I only want Birtwhistle, Hiltz, Dordevic, Caccamo, Aviles, Rice, Finn Kelly, maybe Blake Borges. If we keep those guys and the rest leave wouldn't really bat an eye.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree about Albany having more talent than us. This years result is anomaly. We have ACC talent, but we don't have the shear quantity this year. (Our rope unit is young, promising and will continue to get better) -Others have mentioned in the past, but the former staff had quite a few misses in recruiting in '18, '19 and "20 - whereas the other ACC teams did not. We have seen the result of these misses this year.
Mediocre recruiting class happens for various reasons but a run of them will eventually catch up. The cycle is turning up thanks in great part to the previous staff for the incoming 22 class

No, you don't run a graduating senior into the ground for 350 or so straight faceoffs and then relieve him in his last Cuse game. Expecting Phaup to be out for every single one and Ill be applauding regardlesss of any results as kid gives his all. Cuse will need to bring in a fogo preferable two
definitely should have worked in two this year at FOGO. especially considering the blowouts.

From observations, I think Gait has an "analytical driver" social style. This style is observed in people who see the big picture, transformitive leaders that make positive changes with high expectations; but dislike conflict and try to avoid it. Which is why they are often seen as aloof. Just reflect on all of his press conferences, have we seen this behavior? Drivers don't resonate or interact well with people who are amiables or expressives who need that softer touch or need lengthy explanations. Are the players worked hard? I suspect they are. Too hard? I don't know. But I suspect the data recorders that the players are wearing will provide the coaches with that data.

Petro, what's there not to like. He's a defensive mastermind and he actually loves his players. His bear hug of Cook at the Duke game said it all.

Parents say all kinds of things when they believe their sons aren't getting adequate playing time. We have seen over the years that parents have become more vocal and in some cases hostile. Gee, look what happened last week at a Bville game where the refs were accosted in the parking lot after a game. Many parents believe they know more about lacrosse that the coaches. Don't misunderstand me, I love my students' parents but sometimes they can over-advocate which sometimes prevents us from effectively doing our jobs.

I'm taking the long view, we have 3 coaches that were hired based on a track record of success, it will take some time for the right pieces are in place.

From observations, I think Gait has an "analytical driver" social style. This style is observed in people who see the big picture, transformitive leaders that make positive changes with high expectations; but dislike conflict and try to avoid it. Which is why they are often seen as aloof. Just reflect on all of his press conferences, have we seen this behavior? Drivers don't resonate or interact well with people who are amiables or expressives who need that softer touch or need lengthy explanations. Are the players worked hard? I suspect they are. Too hard? I don't know. But I suspect the data recorders that the players are wearing will provide the coaches with that data.

Petro, what's there not to like. He's a defensive mastermind and he actually loves his players. His bear hug of Cook at the Duke game said it all.

Parents say all kinds of things when they believe their sons aren't getting adequate playing time. We have seen over the years that parents have become more vocal and in some cases hostile. Gee, look what happened last week at a Bville game where the refs were accosted in the parking lot after a game. Many parents believe they know more about lacrosse that the coaches. Don't misunderstand me, I love my students' parents but sometimes they can over-advocate which sometimes prevents us from effectively doing our jobs.

I'm taking the long view, we have 3 coaches that were hired based on a track record of success, it will take some time for the right pieces are in place.
Some of the comments were coming from starters so wouldn't get carried away with the disgruntled player angle. The disregard for March's instructions isn't surprising if he has lost the players.

While I don’t doubt Petro’s connected, and perhaps beloved, by many players…

I doubt his ability to coach a coherent defense. If players aren’t doing what they’re supposed to then he’s failing as a teacher.

I know goaltending took a big step back and there’s limited talent outside of Kennedy, Caccamo, Rice & Aviles.

But this defense has been shredded consistently by teams of varying talent levels.

To me that means the strategy is crap and/or the coach’s ability to implement his strategy stinks.

Was hoping Petro could pull a rabbit out of his hat with less defensive talent this year but now I’m wondering how much his strategy and style will limit higher quality defenders arriving in the next few years.

Last edited:
While I don’t doubt Petro’ connected, and perhaps beloved, by many players.

I doubt his ability to coach a coherent defense. If players aren’t doing what they’re supposed to then he’s failing as a teacher.

I known goaltending took a big step back and there’s limited talent outside of Kennedy, Caccamo, Rice & Aviles.

But this defense has been shredded consistently teams of varying talent levels.

To me that means the strategy is crap and/or the coach’s ability to implement his strategy stinks.

Was hoping Petro could pull a rabbit out of his hat with less defensive talent this year but now I’m wondering how much his strategy and style will limit higher quality defenders arriving in the next few years.
Agree!

I could totally be crazy but last few games i’ve watched a lot of murphy and what he does and Hate to be mean but he makes some dumb choices misses ground balls and wonders or gives way to much cushion on his guy. Few times he just wonders or will go halfway to then start covering a guy who is already cover leaving one of our two defenders having to search for who’s open and usually a goal by time figure it out. He slides for no reason off crease guy decent amount. He seems to me he just occupies space not actually anyone. Feel he has been weak link in d and hasn’t done much. Kenny and cacaumo both studs grant ones freshman so has learning to do but they or our shorties do all work mostly haven’t seen murphy do anything that was remotely good play. Kind wish tried someone else there the transfer from le moyne or the utah transfer from last year someone who will engage more. Next game just keep eye on murphy seriously even if play not near him. Even go back last two games n just fully watch him on d just don’t see what he brings to table besides being senior. Lsm is what i’d play him not close.

The one jeff conner goal think it was his third he is standing same spot as think kenny no idea where his man was n yet allowed conner to come from behind. Also wanna say another conner goal maby or someone on top right caugh a pass n was able to shoot easily cause murphy was playing way to far off him.

Also we need our second line mids to step up cordes showed some good vision early and corsi had some good plays early also but feel second line mids haven’t produce in last two games atleast. Understand young but gotta make something happen.

Let’s just beat notre dame keeping them out playoffs hopefully even tho feel every year cuse is always hated more or biased against more then all other acc teams. Can’t wait till we can shut all haters up. Hopefully next year ! Ps hope we all know with the talent and so many good players n hotbeds now days that 22straight final fours or whatever crazy thing we had don’t think is realistic anymore but a chip every couple years certainly should be or I hope so. Been begging to wipe the last chip we made in 2013 in philly which i attended (live in philly) vs duke need that wiped out of my memory for a good chip game.

mean not realistic cause so many good players going to wide range of schools and more schools getting talent n better so competition is wider range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom