Virginia Gameday... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Gameday...

Some of the people calling for a little experimentation with the Mule spot got their wish. And it lead to some goals too. Mule made some nice plays throughout the game but I like the switch to a little more dodging power late. Especially with Spallina bottled up in his match up.

I think the staff played it perfectly yesterday. No need to bench Mule but we needed a change up and you saw the fruits of moving Leo to attack that several of us have essentially been begging for. Gives SU a nice wrinkle to go to and will cause defenses a ron of trouble.

DMV is right on Joey, clearly not 100%, has zero burst and even though he was never a speed guy he clearly could move better then this

Huge game from Thomson. I have been hard on him on his off days because he clearly has the talent. We say this a lot, but could have EASILY had a couple assists to go along with his three goals. Had spallina and English wide open on the crease and they somehow juggled the pass. Also had a nice hockey assist on man up with a big skip pass. He is slowly starting to add more dodging to his game and is showing some solid speed on his dodges. His feeding ability is as good as anyone on the team. And you cant put a price on what he does with the two man game too. Was great to see him make those big plays late in the game. Should be huge for his confidence going forward.

Thomson best game as an Orangemen. Outside shot was on, finished tough inside and I think zero turnovers. Finally seeing that box dominance break out. If he can keep playing remotely like this, watch out.

Also shout out to Hiltz, an outstanding game. Most active dodging I've seen from him since before the injury. Looked rejuvenated out there and very much an equal to Cormier. Beyond impressive

I can confirm his current lines to win the National Championship via FanDuel. Plus Denver is +2500

And how about the coaches coaching Billy Dwan to go forward into the offensive zone on the play he scored the tying goal. If he didn't have the freedom to do that, or to be coached to do that, he wouldn't have been there. That play alone, plus his caused TO on Millon near the end (ignoring his long TO pass), might have solidified his place on the All-America list for this year. I nominate him for consideration as our MVP for this year. Or at least one of them.
See Paul Rabil's tweet at the bottom!

Last edited:
After 42 games, it's 21-21. At one fairly recent point, not only had each team won the same number of games, but they had scored the same number of goals. But some folks here insist JHU is your rival, amirite? Just sayin'.
Each of the top teams has a number of great rivalries, but Syracuse v. Virginia is just electric.

And how about the coaches coaching Billy Dwan to go forward into the offensive zone on the play he scored the tying goal. If he didn't have the freedom to do that, or to be coached to do that, he wouldn't have been there. That play alone, plus his caused TO on Millon near the end (ignoring his long TO pass), might have solidified his place on the All-America list for this year. I nominate him for consideration as our MVP for this year. Or at least one of them.

Has Dwan scored the most goals in a season for an SU defenseman? He has seven so far this year. The most Joel White and Ric Beardsley ever scored were six in a year. Believe Marshall Abrams and Steve Panarelli both had five. There might be someone super obvious I am missing, but if so it’s one heck of an achievement (especially as a close defender).

Not to mention the way he’s scored them, including three of maybe the best I’ve seen from a long pole in general (the Cornell between the legs, the UVA over the head shot, the twister on the crease vs UNC). And he’s a really good defenseman! What a player, I’m such a huge fan of his.

It was nice to see english score that goal. As if i remember correctly he had same chance n shot same location in the army, maryland games missing cage. Could have games mixed up but he def had same look grant this one way more of cage to shoot at but went low to low in other attempts missing. He should dodge more from lower wing then so far up top since again everyone knows he’s going right. Least that way limits how far he’s running before even gets close to heart of D. Still amazing game watched it twice so far may watch it again.

After 42 games, it's 21-21. At one fairly recent point, not only had each team won the same number of games, but they had scored the same number of goals. But some folks here insist JHU is your rival, amirite? Just sayin'.

Virginia is the game.

I was surprised to see some negative posts directed at UVA after the game. I don't remember seeing that on this board before. My sense is there is a respect at SU for how UVA plays the game. Just compare the two games yesterday. I almost fell asleep watching JHU vs UMD. If everyone played like UVA and SU, there would never have been a need for a shot clock.

Goal to get to 15-17: Out of time out. No Mule. Rhoa, Leo, Stevens, and English all out. Rhoa is on the crease covered by a shortie. Leo up top with the LSM on him (Mayer). Stevens initiated against a shortie, and ended up dodging and scoring on a shortie.

Goal to get to 16-17: This is coming out of the time out when Hiltz missed goal when Nunes was out. Mule off. Leo on left wing. Middies were Rhoa, English, and Stevens, but switched to Rhoa, English, and Thomson after t.o. Rhoa was poled and we score on the screen and slip on the wing with English and Thomson working on shorties.

Goal to get to 17-17: Dwan transition scrum goal. Leo out as wing attack.

Game winner: I don't know who to explain the set. No Mule. It's probably a similar set to what Stevens scored on except Thomson is on the crease instead of Rhoa and he had the pole. Maybe UVA was anticipating more two man game. Leo was higher. English had a lot of the ball and had a shortie.

I think something is off with Spallina physically. He has no explosion at all. He was never a jitterbug, but he could dodge enough to get to his spots. Right now he can't even do that. He's averaging under four shots per game in the last six games.
Thank you for this level of detail. Attacking SSDMs is the best way to attack any defense, and I think that we can do it much better with Leo in place of Mule on attack.

Interesting idea about Spallina being hurt. Maybe, but sadly I can’t really tell a difference. I just think he’s too slow, which gets exposed against good defenders. In Spallina’s 7 games this year against top 10 teams, he’s gone:

Maryland- 1G, 2A

Army- 0G, 2A

John’s Hopkins- 2G, 3A

Duke- 0G, 2A

Notre Dame- 1G, 0A

Cornell- 3G, 4A (I think it was the best game of his career)

Virginia- 0G, 0A

Sadly, I think he’s consistently been underperforming all year against good teams…

Thank you for this level of detail. Attacking SSDMs is the best way to attack any defense, and I think that we can do it much better with Leo in place of Mule on attack.

Interesting idea about Spallina being hurt. Maybe, but sadly I can’t really tell a difference. I just think he’s too slow, which gets exposed against good defenders. In Spallina’s 7 games this year against top 10 teams, he’s gone:

Maryland- 1G, 2A

Army- 0G, 2A

John’s Hopkins- 2G, 3A

Duke- 0G, 2A

Notre Dame- 1G, 0A

Virginia- 0G, 0A

Sadly, I think he’s consistently been underperforming all year against good teams…
Didn’t he get blown up by a deleware defender?

Goal to get to 15-17: Out of time out. No Mule. Rhoa, Leo, Stevens, and English all out. Rhoa is on the crease covered by a shortie. Leo up top with the LSM on him (Mayer). Stevens initiated against a shortie, and ended up dodging and scoring on a shortie.

Goal to get to 16-17: This is coming out of the time out when Hiltz missed goal when Nunes was out. Mule off. Leo on left wing. Middies were Rhoa, English, and Stevens, but switched to Rhoa, English, and Thomson after t.o. Rhoa was poled and we score on the screen and slip on the wing with English and Thomson working on shorties.

Goal to get to 17-17: Dwan transition scrum goal. Leo out as wing attack.

Game winner: I don't know who to explain the set. No Mule. It's probably a similar set to what Stevens scored on except Thomson is on the crease instead of Rhoa and he had the pole. Maybe UVA was anticipating more two man game. Leo was higher. English had a lot of the ball and had a shortie.

I think something is off with Spallina physically. He has no explosion at all. He was never a jitterbug, but he could dodge enough to get to his spots. Right now he can't even do that. He's averaging under four shots per game in the last six games.

The Delaware de-cleating?

Maryland- 1G, 2A

Army- 0G, 2A

John’s Hopkins- 2G, 3A

Duke- 0G, 2A

Notre Dame- 1G, 0A

Virginia- 0G, 0A

It’s easy to wonder if Salina is really worthy of the jersey as he has not been a big-time impact player in the big-time games. He feasts off the meh’s.

That said. The kid grinds and has become way better at not forcing stuff. That maturity as a a stud soph isn’t everyday. And if Leo was at attack vs Mule, I wonder if that would have led o more points today (and others.)

Think your missing fact spallina plays team ball very well also. This is sport where one man can just dominate himself n still win games least not vs a lot of teams. Not every impact player is point producer either. Think everyone made to believe he was next mike powell where if actually watched his HS games could clearly tell didn’t have the speed but had everything else. If the team plays as team no one has to be the main guy. Also gotta remember he’s only in his second year which he came in at very low point for cuse rebuilding almost and has taken teams best defender every game. Kid works hard and hustle. Even pat kav had bad games or doesn’t produce crazy numbers look at o’neil also. Honestly feel if anyone hasn’t produce much sadly have to say birt who had 27goals last year and only at 13 this year. He may still have lingering injury don’t know but he is much better then he’s been playing all season. Many diff ways to help ur team win without even putting up a single point. Plus some of best even faster attackman vs some of these poles were shut down n have way more games then spallina. Kid works hard enough can only get better don’t think he deserves some of hate because you guys had in ur mind something completely diff then what he actually was if watched him actually play before college.

Think your missing fact spallina plays team ball very well also. This is sport where one man can just dominate himself n still win games least not vs a lot of teams. Not every impact player is point producer either. Think everyone made to believe he was next mike powell where if actually watched his HS games could clearly tell didn’t have the speed but had everything else. If the team plays as team no one has to be the main guy. Also gotta remember he’s only in his second year which he came in at very low point for cuse rebuilding almost and has taken teams best defender every game. Kid works hard and hustle. Even pat kav had bad games or doesn’t produce crazy numbers look at o’neil also. Honestly feel if anyone hasn’t produce much sadly have to say birt who had 27goals last year and only at 13 this year. He may still have lingering injury don’t know but he is much better then he’s been playing all season. Many diff ways to help ur team win without even putting up a single point. Plus some of best even faster attackman vs some of these poles were shut down n have way more games then spallina. Kid works hard enough can only get better don’t think he deserves some of hate because you guys had in ur mind something completely diff then what he actually was if watched him actually play before college.
one man can’t dominate not can

My observation is that Joey stayed totally engaged the whole game and often was the first player to congratulate a player who scored. Totally team. And if you look at the play when English scored the winning goal you see that Joey moved up from X to park himself on the edge of the crease for a pass & quick goal if English had chosen to pass it. In fact he might have distracted Nunes because no Dman was on him. I also noticed he was able to move up from behind the goal because someone else had moved behind the goal on the other side for any backup.

Maryland- 1G, 2A

Army- 0G, 2A

John’s Hopkins- 2G, 3A

Duke- 0G, 2A

Notre Dame- 1G, 0A

Virginia- 0G, 0A

I think lacrosse is a team sport maybe the rest of the offense benefits from the attention Joey draws maybe just maybe

Spallina is fourth in points per game nationally. He is the only Soph within the first 20 players on the list. No doubt he gets better in the next two years and the coaches need to build around him to maximize his skillset. Heavy lies the crown of #22. I think he's had a great year and no doubt the attention he commands opens up the field for others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom