Virginia Gameday... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Gameday...

clearly i’m syracuse2622 but all year that mattmerica fool has none stop hated n i couldn’t take it anymore this win i had to give it back

Makes fanlax look rationale. Send me the link would ya. 3 1 goal wins, fn dope doesn't realize those are 3 top 5 wins arguably the best resume in the country save ND

I will say dude was right bout one thing. I do have even a slang accent in my talk which has gone into my text lol. It’s a delco slang. Pa delco/philly thing

I will say dude was right bout one thing. I do have even a slang accent in my talk which has gone into my text lol. It’s a delco slang. Pa delco/philly thing
They have no idea what a jawn is!

my wife always said i have my own language. Lucky for her been with me long enough know what i’m saying or least trying to say as i’m sure even for some of yous prob think same thing at times, well put it nicely (broken english) lol

Reminder -- if you're on X [Twitter] and haven't yet voted --> Go Vote. Billy's early lead is down to 3 percentage points over the Princeton goalie who's big claim is he scored a goal. No match for Billy's though. 18 hours to go.
did you see his goal though? coast to coast with a backhand bounce shot finish--not as big as Billy's but impressive none the less

That call on Dwan was nonsense
i'm not sure what the wording of the rule is these days, given the change this year for direct/indirect contact.

there has been a rule in place regarding a player moving in a new direction in the last split second... and it's not a foul. everybody already knows this rule regarding turning right before a push in the back for example. given the specificity of the rule to direct/indirect contact and not intent (for 2 minutes and under, anyway), not sure how refs are applying it to head shots. & especially with the emphasis on them the last few years.

That call on Dwan was nonsense
Absolutely. The refs getting it wrong in real time is one thing and understandable at times but this crew had the replay that we all saw.

Absolutely. The refs getting it wrong in real time is one thing and understandable at times but this crew had the replay that we all saw.
tech, how are you? his shoulder and arm caught his head. does this year's rule allow for another player slipping at the last second?

Number would make almost no difference in my opinion. I get what HopFan16 noted in his post that it draws more attention which is true but I think the 22 jersey is a totally valid recruiting tool.
It draws more attention this is true. But with a guy like spallina, it is taking the attention and pressure he already has from an 8/10 to a 9/10. Hop16 and others are acting like that is the main driver of the hate he gets when it is very clearly his massive hype as a recruit.

I would argue the same applies to Jordan Evans back in the day. The fact he was number 1 in IL in a stacked recruiting class, and was constantly compared to the guys he was ranked higher than like Matt Rambo, was a more real source of pressure than his jersey number. I did not think Evans was going to go off for us just because we gave him 22, I thought he would because of the hype and praise he received as a recruit.

Hop has no equivalent but they did do things like give Grimes Paul Rabils #9 as a top 5 tall freshman middie out of Maryland, as well as Stanwicks #32 to #1 recruit Epstein. Would be just as silly to suggest that the pressure of the legacy of those numbers held them back in any way.

tech, how are you? his shoulder and arm caught his head. does this year's rule allow for another player slipping at the last second?
Howdy wgdsr! Don't know... you are the rules/officials maven. Seems to me intent is the key?

Some random thoughts a few days removed from the game.

-There might not a player that drives me more "batty" than Jake Stevens. The stat sheet credits him with only two turnovers against Virginia, but I thought I counted at least three, not counting an early shot with no backup that should have counted for a turnover. He got beat pretty easily by Ryan Colsey which I believe gave the Cavs the lead in the 4th quarter. And yet, he brings so much to the table, and I love his motor. Finished the game with five groundballs, two goals and two assists, one of which was a great pass to LSM Matt Wright on the doorstep of the goal. I thought he would be mainly a finisher for the Orange, but he leads all midfielders in assists with 15. I wish he and English wouldn't turn the ball over so much - 33 combined, but with all they are asked to do, and with the speed they play with, I think this is just a natural side effect. Stevens only had 4 turnovers last season for the Tigers, so hopefully it is something he can get under control as the playoffs start.

-Defense left a lot to be desired against the Cavs, though they had their moments certainly. I loved how they turned Griffin Schutz into a passer, with really quick double teams that really seemed to spook the Cavs best midfielder. He finished with just one goal.

-The pick game was really bad though, and something that needs to be addressed. The fact that UVA uses picks shouldn't have been a surprise as they use them a ton to free up Shellenberger. No idea whose fault it is, but given that it's the last game of the regular season, I was expecting better of the defense in this regard. Rice and Figuerias, two of the better players on the defense got so mixed up on one pick, they both let the ball carrier go which led to an easy goal for Virginia.

-The spacing in general on defense seemed very strange to me, they gave the Cavs way too much space, but also weren't packing the middle, daring UVA to shoot from outside. They let Shellenberger get his hands free way too much. I know a lot of goals were scored in transition, but there seemed to be way too much hesitancy in the group in general.

-Was great to see Hiltz have such a great game, he really seems to be the key for this team. He was 3-12 shooting on the day, but I really believe he should be leading the team in shots. He passed Spallina for first on the team after this high volume outing (97-95). He has such range, and can place the ball all over. He has just enough dodging capability to keep defenders on their toes. I don't know why he's been up and down this year, but if he stays up I think Syracuse could go quite far in the tournament. The fact he also put together five assists on the day just makes his performance that much more impressive. I saw the player that got me so excited his freshman year on Saturday.

-It's funny the things you miss in the midst of a tight and exciting game. I noticed Mule on the sidelines at the end of the game, but completely missed that Leo had been inserted at attack. I don't think he saw much of the ball at the end of the game, but it seemed to do enough to trip up the UVA defense, as English did draw a pole. I really believe some sort of combination of Spallina/Hiltz/Leo on attack, with English/Rhoa/Stevens or Thomson at midfield is the best lineup. But having the depth this team does, I think Mule should remain at attack for the majority of the game. Hopefully that doesn't mess up confidence or chemistry, and Mule had a nice bounce back game (hat trick on four shots, only one turnover).

-Overall great win and the environment of the game seemed off the charts. Going forward hopefully this is a game they can build on and propel them forward. There's still a lot to work on - the late game efforts of the face-off group is starting to be a concern, the short sticks still make me very nervous outside of Carter Rice, but there is so much this team does right. Should make for exciting May.

Howdy wgdsr! Don't know... you are the rules/officials maven. Seems to me intent is the key?
here is this year's rule for hits to the head:
- indirect contact - 1 minute (which mostly means as spelled out you hit them somewhere else 1st, and that hit slipped to head/neck)
- direct contact - 2 minute
- excessive (which is essentially intent but not spelled out) - 3 minute

so 1st, hope nobody's listening to carc on rules, because he has no idea what the rule is now. they took intent out for the 1 and 2 minute varieties this year, and i believe carc even had a graphic up for him to use on uva's UR in the 3rd. i believe all 3 varieties are locked in.

i just looked at vid again. 2 things... the ball (a kinda soft pass) was probably at least 12 yards away. he was getting a 1 minute for a late hit regardless.
the "slip". ghobriel actually didn't slip. his head does come down maybe 3-4 inches.

what i am not sure about is whether head hits also glom on to the rule about "a player changing planes" essentially at the last second. i'm not even sure this one qualifies given he didn't drop like a foot or anything, and also with head hits they may or may not have this caveat.

Some random thoughts a few days removed from the game.

-There might not a player that drives me more "batty" than Jake Stevens. The stat sheet credits him with only two turnovers against Virginia, but I thought I counted at least three, not counting an early shot with no backup that should have counted for a turnover. He got beat pretty easily by Ryan Colsey which I believe gave the Cavs the lead in the 4th quarter. And yet, he brings so much to the table, and I love his motor. Finished the game with five groundballs, two goals and two assists, one of which was a great pass to LSM Matt Wright on the doorstep of the goal. I thought he would be mainly a finisher for the Orange, but he leads all midfielders in assists with 15. I wish he and English wouldn't turn the ball over so much - 33 combined, but with all they are asked to do, and with the speed they play with, I think this is just a natural side effect. Stevens only had 4 turnovers last season for the Tigers, so hopefully it is something he can get under control as the playoffs start.

-Defense left a lot to be desired against the Cavs, though they had their moments certainly. I loved how they turned Griffin Schutz into a passer, with really quick double teams that really seemed to spook the Cavs best midfielder. He finished with just one goal.

-The pick game was really bad though, and something that needs to be addressed. The fact that UVA uses picks shouldn't have been a surprise as they use them a ton to free up Shellenberger. No idea whose fault it is, but given that it's the last game of the regular season, I was expecting better of the defense in this regard. Rice and Figuerias, two of the better players on the defense got so mixed up on one pick, they both let the ball carrier go which led to an easy goal for Virginia.

-The spacing in general on defense seemed very strange to me, they gave the Cavs way too much space, but also weren't packing the middle, daring UVA to shoot from outside. They let Shellenberger get his hands free way too much. I know a lot of goals were scored in transition, but there seemed to be way too much hesitancy in the group in general.

-Was great to see Hiltz have such a great game, he really seems to be the key for this team. He was 3-12 shooting on the day, but I really believe he should be leading the team in shots. He passed Spallina for first on the team after this high volume outing (97-95). He has such range, and can place the ball all over. He has just enough dodging capability to keep defenders on their toes. I don't know why he's been up and down this year, but if he stays up I think Syracuse could go quite far in the tournament. The fact he also put together five assists on the day just makes his performance that much more impressive. I saw the player that got me so excited his freshman year on Saturday.

-It's funny the things you miss in the midst of a tight and exciting game. I noticed Mule on the sidelines at the end of the game, but completely missed that Leo had been inserted at attack. I don't think he saw much of the ball at the end of the game, but it seemed to do enough to trip up the UVA defense, as English did draw a pole. I really believe some sort of combination of Spallina/Hiltz/Leo on attack, with English/Rhoa/Stevens or Thomson at midfield is the best lineup. But having the depth this team does, I think Mule should remain at attack for the majority of the game. Hopefully that doesn't mess up confidence or chemistry, and Mule had a nice bounce back game (hat trick on four shots, only one turnover).

-Overall great win and the environment of the game seemed off the charts. Going forward hopefully this is a game they can build on and propel them forward. There's still a lot to work on - the late game efforts of the face-off group is starting to be a concern, the short sticks still make me very nervous outside of Carter Rice, but there is so much this team does right. Should make for exciting May.
I hear you on not trusting the SSDMs, but since they’ve bumped Levine, Hottle, and little Spallina I think the group has been much better. Young and inexperienced, yes, but they have held their own with Rice leading the way IMO

here is this year's rule for hits to the head:
- indirect contact - 1 minute (which mostly means as spelled out you hit them somewhere else 1st, and that hit slipped to head/neck)
- direct contact - 2 minute
- excessive (which is essentially intent but not spelled out) - 3 minute

so 1st, hope nobody's listening to carc on rules, because he has no idea what the rule is now. they took intent out for the 1 and 2 minute varieties this year, and i believe carc even had a graphic up for him to use on uva's UR in the 3rd. i believe all 3 varieties are locked in.

i just looked at vid again. 2 things... the ball (a kinda soft pass) was probably at least 12 yards away. he was getting a 1 minute for a late hit regardless.
the "slip". ghobriel actually didn't slip. his head does come down maybe 3-4 inches.

what i am not sure about is whether head hits also glom on to the rule about "a player changing planes" essentially at the last second. i'm not even sure this one qualifies given he didn't drop like a foot or anything, and also with head hits they may or may not have this caveat.
Thanks for this. I'm older school than you are (my/your eras were different...not better but different) and why I think their effort to remove even a whif of any concussion risk may be hurting the game and why intent should matter IMHO... wgdsr do think that play deserved 2 mins unreleasable and at such a critical point in game?

I hear you on not trusting the SSDMs, but since they’ve bumped Levine, Hottle, and little Spallina I think the group has been much better. Young and inexperienced, yes, but they have held their own with Rice leading the way IMO

Yes, I think they've been pretty good. Hottle can look overmatched against bigger players, but his footwork is so good, he holds his own more often than not. It's frustrating he's not six inches taller, I feel like he would be the prototypical SSDM. He got matched up against Shellenberger behind the net, which led to an almost comical slide and easy goal for Will Cory, but that can happen to the majority of short sticks out there. LeVine has the size, but is a little slow footed. Overall he's been pretty good. I haven't noticed Spallina much but he's not getting embarrassed out there.

Rice has been the key though, he's been so good this year. He doesn't get beat, he can dislodge the ball, and he can fly up the field on clears. The only thing missing his game is goals and assists, but I'd rather have a SSDM who can shut down opposing midfielders. He's done that. If you had to give out an Most Improved Player award this year, he'd win it running away.

Thanks for this. I'm older school than you are (my/your eras were different...not better but different) and why I think their effort to remove even a whif of any concussion risk may be hurting the game and why intent should matter IMHO... wgdsr do think that play deserved 2 mins unreleasable and at such a critical point in game?
1 min vs 2 min... based on how the rule is now written:
- like with nfl football, i think this one comes down to who saw what, because i don't believe there was anything either way from the camera angles to overturn which way the ref saw it. if it was the far side official and he saw direct contact, you couldn't overturn.

if it was the near side and he wasn't sure which, i don't think you could definitively say the shoulder didn't slip higher after hitting lower.

ftr, that call is "supposed" to be made by the trail, near side. but neither where he'd be located or the camera angles shown could give me a 100% idea that it was direct. of course, they may have felt differently.

edit: both the near side lead and far side threw flags. which is interesting. don't know about the near side trail. the only way i can see them coming up with 2 is if the far side saw it as direct in real time (or... they had another tv angle to look @). again, camera angles didn't adjudicate it either way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom