Virginia loses their OC to NFL today. | Syracusefan.com

Virginia loses their OC to NFL today.

Old hank

Walk On
talk about late in the recruiting process. Wonder if they will lose any recruits?

talk about late in the recruiting process. Wonder if they will lose any recruits?

Tom O'Brien officially put his name in consideration for the job. Back on January 3rd.

O’Brien, the associate head coach/offense will make $450,000 per year, not counting a $150,000 signing bonus or the $300,000 retention bonus he’ll get after two years at U.Va.
O’Brien’s deal also includes bonuses for performance, a country-club membership and a $1,500 Nike allowance, according to a copy of the contract viewed by the Times-Dispatch.

Well, O'Brien didn't last at UVA very long. He and Mike London, the HC at UVA, had known each other for quite some time. O'Brien joined the coaching staff on January 4th as a TE and Associate HC after being fired at the end of the season at NC State. He also received a $200,000 buy-out to settle his HC contract, which released him of his non-compete clause allowing him to continue to coach in the ACC (which "smartly" saved NC State over $1MM O'Brein would have otherwise received from the university). That's along with all the compensation he would have received at UVA.

I'm not sure he was at UVA long enough to have too much influence on incoming recruits. Really curious why he wants to get into TV. He didn't look very comfortable in front of the camera when he was a HC. I guess the NFL Network is giving him an even richer contract. However, if he went right to the NFL Network instead of going back to coaching in the ACC in between, he could have kept the $1MM buyout from NC State. ...A lot of money being thrown around... I guess timing is everything.

I think the players that come in are all about coach London I would be suprised if this really hurt them in the recruiting area. Terrell for VA even said to me the only reason he decided on UVA over everyone else was due to London

Heard yesterday on TV that the NFL would think about not allowing hires until after the SB because of Rooney Rule stuff.

That would be extremely late.

Heard yesterday on TV that the NFL would think about not allowing hires until after the SB because of Rooney Rule stuff.

That would be extremely late.

Have it be after the SB and NOLI day that might work.

Well, O'Brien didn't last at UVA very long. He and Mike London, the HC at UVA, had known each other for quite some time. O'Brien joined the coaching staff on January 4th as a TE and Associate HC after being fired at the end of the season at NC State. He also received a $200,000 buy-out to settle his HC contract, which released him of his non-compete clause allowing him to continue to coach in the ACC (which "smartly" saved NC State over $1MM O'Brein would have otherwise received from the university). That's along with all the compensation he would have received at UVA.

I'm not sure he was at UVA long enough to have too much influence on incoming recruits. Really curious why he wants to get into TV. He didn't look very comfortable in front of the camera when he was a HC. I guess the NFL Network is giving him an even richer contract. However, if he went right to the NFL Network instead of going back to coaching in the ACC in between, he could have kept the $1MM buyout from NC State. ...A lot of money being thrown around... I guess timing is everything.

Actually Tom O'Brien will most likely become the Offensive Coordinator. It's Bill Lazor going to the Eagles. It was somewhat awkward having both Tom O'Brien there at the same time with Tom O'Brien being assistant head coach/offense and Bill Lazor being Offensive Coordinator. Lazor wasn't fired when Mike London cleaned house and brought in O'Brien and Tenuda. The Defensive Coordinator was fired. Apparently, the buyout of Lazor's contract was significant. I guess this way he leaves without UVA having to pay it.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense now that it's Lazor leaving UVA.

Tenuta's had an interesting ride, DC at GA Tech -> DC at ND (Weis) ... he was a hot name at that point. He's now back at UVA (his alma mater) with FHCTOB (his previous head coach).

Methinks this could be the last stop for John. Chances of him becoming a FBS HC would appear to be slim at this point. Then again, if FHCTOB is still hanging in there... he may have another 10-15 years togo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom