Virginia... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia...

Good road-win for us; I hope this is something to build on for this season.

GoOrangeorangeAJStznaFoWVT.gif

Their defense wasn't even very good yesterday. We got plenty of makeable shots we didn't make and could blown them out if we had. Sometimes players miss shot because they expect them to be well defended even if they aren't. they figure somebody must be closing on them and hurry it.

As to good defense and bad offense equaling a .500 record, I've perused enough rankings over the years on both to know that the top 10 or 25 scoring teams, taken together, almost always have a better overall record than the top defensive teams. that's because the top defensive teams mask their deficiencies with a slow pace. Margin of victory is a better measure of defense than average points surrendered. it's getting to be that way in football, as well.

Their defense wasn't even very good yesterday. We got plenty of makeable shots we didn't make and could blown them out if we had. Sometimes players miss shot because they expect them to be well defended even if they aren't. they figure somebody must be closing on them and hurry it.

As to good defense and bad offense equaling a .500 record, I've perused enough rankings over the years on both to know that the top 10 or 25 scoring teams, taken together, almost always have a better overall record than the top defensive teams. that's because the top defensive teams mask their deficiencies with a slow pace. Margin of victory is a better measure of defense than average points surrendered. it's getting to be that way in football, as well.

I'm not sure this isn't accurate, we may have blown them out, but not sure of the significance of it as I would imagine that argument goes either way.

We gave them open threes, and they still shot under their average ----- at home ---- where they shoot significantly better than their incredibly awful percentage overall.

They were well under their average from the free throw line and overall FG%.

We exceeded our averages on the road on 3PT and FT, while under on overall FG%.

The OT likely skews some of that for us though, which may put us closer or under our averages in conference?

Our margin for error on any given night is pretty slim. We could blow out Ga Tech next time we play, they could blow us out with Alvarado back. Who knows! We could go to 8 overtimes!
It all depends on getting hot from three, which, as was the case yesterday, may take 40 minutes at times to achieve! :)

Regardless, we gutted it out, we played hard, and got hot at the end. It's a HUGE win.

KenPom factors in pace of play with his ratings.

I don't know if you're familiar with Pomeroy's web site; a stat-head such as yourself would probably enjoy his work.

I’d obviously take Diakite or Huff on our team, but their perimeter players are not good. Just looking at the two teams I think we are more talented overall.

I doubt JB would ever admit this, but if we started the season with Joe over Jalen we probably beat them in the dome as well.
Maybe. We still didn't have the team organized at that point. Joe would have been a piece but the whole still a shaky mess.

KenPom factors in pace of play with his ratings.

I don't know if you're familiar with Pomeroy's web site; a stat-head such as yourself would probably enjoy his work.

I've seen it.. I mostly look for team rankings. it's still true that the teams that give up the fewest points tend to have worse records than the teams which score the most, which was my main point.

I've seen it.. I mostly look for team rankings. it's still true that the teams that give up the fewest points tend to have worse records than the teams which score the most, wh ich was my main point.
Virginia over the previous 5 seasons would be an exception to the bolded.

I take a look at his blog from time to time. Often good food for thought. And, it's free (at least it used to be).

As to good defense and bad offense equaling a .500 record
, I've perused enough rankings over the years on both to know that the top 10 or 25 scoring teams, taken together, almost always have a better overall record than the top defensive teams. that's because the top defensive teams mask their deficiencies with a slow pace. Margin of victory is a better measure of defense than average points surrendered. it's getting to be that way in football, as well.

I don't think you realize what offensive or defensive efficiency is based on the rest of your post.

I don't think you realize what offensive or defensive efficiency is based on the rest of your post.
This ought to go well.

I don't think so. Defense travels. And it does diminish what the Orange did yesterday. I will take a bet that they aren't in a play in game or the NIT. And yes, Virginia is a horrible shooting team. But have you seen the rest of the ACC? I am wondering if this league, this year, is the worst league we have ever played in. It's what is keeping us afloat.
back to ECAC days (Niagara, Bonnies, Fairfield, Iona, bad Seton Hal & UConn etc), I would agree with you on the worst league we have played in.

Entering yesterday's game Virginia had the best KenPom adjusted defensive efficiency (83.4) since 2003. Not the best Virginia rating ever, the best of any NCAA team since 2003. (After yesterday they fell to #2 as they were caught by West Virginia). So it is arguably as good as a defence they ever had.

But there offensive efficiency is #230 this year. (There is only ONE P5+BEast team that has a worst ranking and that is Boston College). So #73 out of 74.

Essentially the best defence and the worst offence. That is a formula for a .500 team.

Fair points and it's true they are very tough defensively but I would argue those #s will worsen - maybe substantially - in the next two months. Their schedule has been as soft as a newborn's behind so far to date. The only two teams that are maybe ok - Purdue and South Carolina - had no problem scoring on UVA and put up 45% and 55% respectively from the field and won rather easily. We'll see how their defense holds up as we move further into ACC play. In terms of offense it looks damn near hopeless.

They won’t always miss game winning 3s like the wide open one we gavethem to end regulation.

Good win and split after opening night. They didn’t drop games OOC they just need 9 ACC wins for a bid. Doubt they make the Sweet 16 but who knows the D is good and shots might fall.

We should be trying to take advantage of them and UNC being down and join the top tier in the league. But we have no centers or bench. Sort of why it’s so ridiculous that we didn’t give Buddy’s scholarship to a grad transfer.

Bennett and their defense will get them in the tourney. But their offense is putrid. Could see them in the 8/9 game and giving a one seed fits.

If u struggle to score as badly as UVa does then your odds of beating a #1 seed are slim and none. And Slim left town a while ago.

They won’t always miss game winning 3s like the wide open one we gavethem to end regulation.

Good win and split after opening night. They didn’t drop games OOC they just need 9 ACC wins for a bid. Doubt they make the Sweet 16 but who knows the D is good and shots might fall.

We should be trying to take advantage of them and UNC being down and join the top tier in the league. But we have no centers or bench. Sort of why it’s so ridiculous that we didn’t give Buddy’s scholarship to a grad transfer.

They didn't drop OOC games? What do u call the South Carolina and Purdue losses where they got beaten rather handily? Their OOC wins were garbage. If they win 9 ACC games then they'll have 14 losses on the season with no quality OOC wins. That should not get u into the tourney.

Um. . . do you remember we actively recruited Sestina (Bucknell) out of the portal? But he chose Kentucky..

And--Buddy would not have had to give up his scholarship, as we had room for a 13th body.

That's not what I was referring to. I was referring to the teams that scored the most and least points.

I get your point about the ACC and extend that to college hoops in general.

I agree that most of college hoops is pretty mediocre this year. If it's not your team, none of these teams are good enough to grab the nation's interest. It's a lot of boring ball being played all over, not just at Syracuse.

I was surprised when I saw the little ‘18’ next to their name during the game.
That combined with the comment during the game - lunardi has them as a 10 seed - confuses me. They are not a good team. Bennett is wasting Diakite’s shooting abilities.

i never got to view the entire game but yes virginia lacks the outside shooting to be truly dangerous.

They really don’t have someone better than #53 on their bench?