Virginia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia

UVA got really lucky with the unbalanced schedule. The highest ACC placed team in current standings that UVA has to play twice is 8th place Maryland (7-8).

So the 6 teams 2nd thru 6th they only play once – NCSU, Clem, Pitt, UNC, Dook, SU – and UNC, SU was/is at home, and their 1 loss so far @Dook.

Oh and what the hell is a Hoo anyway? :)

You have to love this post from thesabre

"I just really hate Syracuse. They flatter themselves by claiming co-elite status with Duke and UNC, when the reality is they're one fluke Carmelo title away from having nothing at all. So basically they're Maryland, albeit with a good team this year."

"I just really hate Syracuse. They flatter themselves by claiming co-elite status with Duke and UNC, when the reality is they're one fluke Carmelo title away from having nothing at all. So basically they're Maryland, albeit with a good team this year."
ahhh, so they go to the ucon halfwits for their material

Just wanted to correct the above about close games. We've had a couple recently (one surprisingly @VT), but over the course of the conference season we actually haven't had that many. One thing many don't recognize is that for the most part we've been winning big. I believe the below table is correct:

Wins Cuse UVa
by single dig 7 4
by >=15 1 7
by >11 4 9
by one pos. 4 1
Average MOV 7.69 14.14

Half of our 14 conference wins have been by 15 or more. People can talk about unbalanced schedules all they want (works both ways - I think Duke and Pitt got breaks not having to visit Charlottesville for example), but saying we've had a ton of close games isn't correct. That can be good or bad - you guys have proven time and again you can make the plays needed to win a tight game down the stretch and that's very valuable.

Not here to flame or anything as I expect a tough, close game Saturday, but just wanted to provide a little insight into the season we've been having for those that maybe haven't been paying close attention.
doesn't tell the whole story, UVA seems to pull away late after trailing or in tight games while Cuse has been giving away leads and in dog fights down the stretch

Not to mention, how about you tell us about the teams you will have played twice compared to the teams SU has played x2.

You're right, the unbalanced schedule isn't fair. We are lucky in that we only had to play Boston College once.

What's the fluke? You mean like we had to beat two #1 seeds along the way.

Where's Virginia's fluke title?

When I think of Virginia I think of Ralph Sampson...and very little since then.

When I think of Virginia I think of Ralph Sampson...and very little since then.
That's because Virginia has been irrelevant since the Sampson era.
Hard to believe its 30 years.
And even with Sampson UVA couldn't win an ACC title.

FWIW I've asked the site manager at TheSabre about once a year since around 2003 to consider changing that board format.

Virginia has made the NCAA Tournament 3 times in the 2000's. What possesses fans of programs like this to talk crap?

FWIW I've asked the site manager at TheSabre about once a year since around 2003 to consider changing that board format.
It looks like this has moved past bashing your message board to bashing your school and state and then probably Old Tom himself.

Take away the fluke title, 9 conference championships, 14 Sweet 16 appearances, and 3 Final Fours and we're... Virginia.

You're right, the unbalanced schedule isn't fair. We are lucky in that we only had to play Boston College once.
c'mon smart guy which teams do you play twice?

Elite status compared to Wannabe status

Syracuse has 1874 wins and 832 losses in 112 years with a winning percentage of .693. They are currently 5th in wins behind Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, and Duke in total wins. They are 6th in winning percentage with UNLV in the group ahead of them.

While Virginia has 1454 wins and 1132 losses in 108 years with a winning percentage of .562. They are not currently in the top 50 in wins. They are not currently in the top 50 in winning percentage.

Look UVA is very good this year but I have lived in ACC country for 15 years and I will be honest they are never talked about. Nc state gets more lime light. I'm not being mean it is just fact. I'm glad they are good. It's nice to see them do well but there really isn't much comparison between programs. I hope they do well moving forward and that this year gives them momentum. I would like to see a strong ACC

Reactions: cto
UVA got really lucky with the unbalanced schedule. The highest ACC placed team in current standings that UVA has to play twice is 8th place Maryland (7-8).

So the 6 teams 2nd thru 6th they only play once – NCSU, Clem, Pitt, UNC, Dook, SU – and UNC, SU was/is at home, and their 1 loss so far @Dook.

Or maybe you could say that those teams were all fortunate to play the #1 ACC, #11 nationally-ranked team only once? ;)

For what it's worth, just going by KemPom's SOS rankings, only Duke's schedule is appreciably tougher than those of any of the other top ACC teams.

http://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankSOSPythag

Oh and what the hell is a Hoo anyway? :)

Real answer? It's a shortened form of "Wahoo," which has been the colloquial nickname for UVA sports teams since the late 1890's. More info here, if you're curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoos

And while I'm loathe to speak ill of my fellow Hoo fans, that Sabre post that everyone is having fun with is definitely a wannabe statement. It's silly to try and and diminish what Boeheim has accomplished over the years, and any UVA fan who wouldn't trade our basketball history for yours is fooling themselves.

That said, this year I think we're worthy competitors for the ACC title. Win or lose, should be a good game on Saturday.

Last edited:
Or maybe you could say that those teams were all fortunate to play the #1 ACC, #11 nationally-ranked team only once? ;)

For what it's worth, just going by KemPom's SOS rankings, only Duke's schedule is appreciably tougher than those of any of the other top ACC teams.

http://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankSOSPythag

Real answer? It's a shortened form of "Wahoo," which has been the colloquial nickname for UVA sports teams since the late 1890's. More info here, if you're curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoos

I think the smiley face was to let you know he was busting your chops about being a hoo in hoo village.

We obviously have the greater history in basketball, (football, too, and other sports). We had the more impressive pre-conference schedule and record. But that won't mean much on Saturday.

A better clue to the challenge ahead of us is in the comparative scores, (one more of which is due in tomorrow).

Virginia:

beat Wake Forest at home 74-51; We beat Wake on the road 67-57
won at NC State 76-45; We beat NC State 56-55 at home
lost 65-69 at Duke; We lost 60-66 there but beat them at home 91-89 in overtime
beat UNC at home 76-61, as did we, 57-44
beat Virginia Tech at home, 65-45 and on the road 57-53; We beat Tech on the road 72-52
beat Notre Dame on the road 68-53 and at home 70-49;. We beat them at home 61-55
beat Pittsburgh on the road, 48-45; So did we, 58-56 and at home 59-54
They beat Boston College at home 77-67; We beat them by the same margin, 69-59 on the road but lost 59-62 at home
They beat Maryland 61-53 at home; We beat them 57-55 on the road
They beat Clemson 63-58 on the road; We beat then 57-44 at home

If you look only at the games played against the same team at the same venue, ("home" being a venue) it loos like this:

at Duke Syracuse 60-66; Virginia 65-69 / Advantage: Virginia 2 points
UNC: Syracuse 57-44; Virginia 76-61 / Advantage: Virginia 2 points
at Virginia Tech: Syracuse 72-52; Virginia 57-53 / Advantage: Syracuse 16 points
Notre Dame: Syracuse 61-55; Virginia 70-49 / Advantage: Virginia 15 points
at Pittsburgh: Syracuse 58-56; Virginia 48-45 / Advantage: Virginia 1 point
Boston College: Syracuse 59-62; Virginia 77-67 / Advantage Virginia 13 points
Net advantage: Virginia 5 games to 1 and by 17 points

They will be a most formidable opponent, especially if Jerami grant isn't fully healthy and Trevor Cooney keeps clanging three pointers.

Reminds me of the old syracuse.com forum, only worse.

terrified.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom