Virginia | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia

Do you agree that Carmelo was the only NBA early entrant on that team?

Because that's what we were discussing above, not whether there were other talented players. The only other NBA player on that team was Hak, who stayed all four years and was a guy who improved incrementally over the course of his four year career. He was brought in as a raw prospect with great athleticism, which made him a system fit with lots of upside. And he maximized his potential over the course of his four year career in Orange, and parlayed that into a solid journeyman NBA career.

Nobody disputes that there was talent on that roster, but that's not the point being discussed. Players like GMac, Edelin, Pace, Duany, Forth, McNeil, etc. were all to varying degrees very important, talented players. But Carmelo was the only elite talent on that squad.

And that team serves as a perfect example of how our teams are typically constructed. One stud surrounded by a group of talented role playing system fits.
I wanted to throw my .02 in here. I think you have missed the SU change in philosophy from 5 years ago. JB is actively taking very talented 2 and dones and meshing them with his program players. I think he is now doing that because circumstances allow it - ie he can get the players now, after years of doing what VA is currently doing.

The uptick in the last 5 years is noticeable, as is the 30 win per year clip. Not a coincidence in my book. Starting with Wes, Fab, Dion, MCW. Ennis didn't come here with 4 years in mind. Neither is McCollough. Battle is isn't being recruited with a pitch of how good he will be in his senior year here - no, I believe discussions of what MCW and Dion did are more likely.

Your reference to a typical SU team consisting of one stud needs updating. IMO, that is not the plan. Looks to me like SU would gladly take Battle, Malachi, McCollough, and Bryant.

UVA is #12 because voters don't believe.
And it has nothing to do with getting shellacked by Tennessee, losing to Wisc. Green Bay and scoring 38 at home vs Wisconsin, and beating exactly 1 ranked team all year, does it?

I wanted to throw my .02 in here. I think you have missed the SU change in philosophy from 5 years ago. JB is actively taking very talented 2 and dones and meshing them with his program players. I think he is now doing that because circumstances allow it - ie he can get the players now, after years of doing what VA is currently doing.

The uptick in the last 5 years is noticeable, as is the 30 win per year clip. Not a coincidence in my book. Starting with Wes, Fab, Dion, MCW. Ennis didn't come here with 4 years in mind. Neither is McCollough. Battle is isn't being recruited with a pitch of how good he will be in his senior year here - no, I believe discussions of what MCW and Dion did are more likely.

Your reference to a typical SU team consisting of one stud needs updating. IMO, that is not the plan. Looks to me like SU would gladly take Battle, Malachi, McCollough, and Bryant.

There is NO QUESTION that we are recruiting now [i.e., the last 4-5 years] better than we have at any time in program history, save for the late 80s / early 90s. But let's be honest: our data points are currently Dion and MCW--both of whom were talented two and dones.

The poster I was discussing this earlier wanted to use players like Devo, Harris, and Fab to highlight his point about players leaving early for the NBA. Devo and Harris were both interested in returning for their final seasons of eligibility, but weren't invited back [for slightly different circumstantial reasons that are well known]. Fab had eligibility issues that wouldn't have made him eligible to return. To date, two of those players never played one second of NBA ball, and one had a few token minutes before being cut and was voted by one sports publication as the worst player in the league last year.

I also don't think that Wes fits the argument. He was a prep school guy who was a year older when he got to college, then had to sit out a year after he transferred here--he was as old as some college graduates his junior year, which factored into him leaving after one season here. He didn't come here as a one and done candidate. He was a fairly lightly recruited college guy who went to prep, improved his offer list to get to the Iowa State level, and then Murphy had to convince JB to take him on. That he ended up being as great of a fit and as high of a draft pick was partly a happy accident; there's no doubt that JB thought he'd be a good fit / quality player, but I don't think anybody could have expected that he'd be a first team all american who would go #4 in the draft.

I agree that the trend might change, but I don't accept tossing Ennis and Grant out there until their respective stories are written--let alone downstream recruits like McCullough and Richardson, to say nothing of recruits we haven't even landed yet like Battle /Bryant--as evidence supporting the position you're espousing.

And even taking for granted that we land Battle / Bryant to go along with Richardson / McCullough, let's evaluate those players more thoroughly after they get here before automatically assuming that they are one-and-done or even two-and-dones. In the preseason leading up to Coleman's frosh season, there was some speculation that not only was he a strong one-and-done candidate, but that he was one of the most NBA ready frosh that year [Andy Katz made that claim as the court side announcer prior to our season tipoff against SDSU]. Roberson is another guy who I heard similar rumblings in the preseason--he arrived expecting to be a one and done. Obviously, that won't be the case. Coming in, Rak considered himself to be a one-and-done, and then figured he be gone after two years. Now, it looks like he'll be a four year guy who really didn't start coming into his own until mid-way through the third year.

Not that there's anything wrong with that--I'm just pointing out that I don't take for granted that McCullough is an automatic one and done or two and done just because that's what some posters are predicting. It might seem that way now, but maybe he gets here and struggles like several of our big man have and end up staying for 2 - 3 years. Richardson is one of the top prospects in the country, but that doesn't mean that he's a 1 or 2 year college player. Ditto someone like Bryant--maybe he's an undersized 5 who doesn't project well to the NBA and has a 3 or 4 year career arc at SU.

In summary, I absolutely LOVE the direction recruiting is going. I'm pleased as hell that we are landing classes of highly rated players who fit our system. I'm also hopeful that several of these guys pan out and end up being good pros. But I know from paying attention to recruiting for decades that there are LOTS of top 20 rated prospects who never sniff the NBA. So we'll have to see how these guys turn out; just being rated highly doesn't equate to surefire NBA careers. Maybe they will, maybe they won't--but as long as they end up being high quality players for SU, the NBA doesn't really matter to me.

As for needing to update my viewpoint--we'll see how things play out. Two years ago, we had an epic thread on the basketball board lamenting how SU only had 2 players in the NBA [Melo and Wes], and how it might go down to 1 if Wes got cut early in the season when he wasn't getting PT. So you'll forgive me for being semi-conservative when it comes to evaluating the NBA potential on our roster, recent past and present. While it would be nice to produce more NBA talent, although I'm way more concerned about how these guys perform at THIS level than I am about worrying whether they pan out at the next. Like you said--this trend of ~30 win seasons has made for a fantastic experience these past 5 years. THAT'S what I want to see continue. I think some posters would like to see us crank out more NBA talent, like many of the factories that we're legitimately competing against with at the top for these last five years, but we haven't historically measured up on that front.

Last edited:
And it has nothing to do with getting shellacked by Tennessee, losing to Wisc. Green Bay and scoring 38 at home vs Wisconsin, and beating exactly 1 ranked team all year, does it?
I agree... as a longtime UVA fan, I can admit that we are #12 because we struggled in our OOC portion of the schedule. Once TB figured out the rotation and put Perrantes into the starting lineup, we have been a completely different team (14-1 speaks volumes regardless of how "easy" our ACC schedule has been). SU probably would have killed us in December, but UVA is going to be a 4 or 5 point favorite on Saturday for a reason.
Just to stir up this board... I think that UVA would be favored over SU on Saturday on a neutral court (only by 1 point). The bottom line is that we are playing better than Syracuse is right now.

Did you even read what I wrote or did you stop at that sentence? If I need to spell it out for you, "voter don't believe" for exactly the reasons you illustrate. However, I'll counter that those defeats were suffered by another team, not the team that Virginia is right now. Conversely, and just to fire back at you a little bit, we could say that the Syracuse team you have right now is not the undefeated juggernaut it was a moth ago. No team is static. No team puts forth the exact same effort in every game. UVA has gotten better over the course of the season. Judging from your record alone, we could easily say that, having lost 2 of your last 3 and almost 4 of your last 5, your team has gotten worse. It's not fair to say that, but that's the argument that you are making about Virginia's team. I've showed your team nothing but respect on this board. Lighten up.

This thread took an interesting turn. I've seen this commented about on the Sabre, so if any Virginia fans read this I totally understand how excited you are about this game and the way your season turned around. While our program's NCAA drought wasn't as long as yours, the period from 05-08 was brutal for us. The two first round flameouts followed by two NIT appearances. It was a low point and horrible not seeing our name called on Selection Sunday. Then our 09 team came around and we got to have real excitement for SU hoops again. So I hope Virginia fans enjoy the ride. They have a really good team that is playing great.

This is the most hyped game Virginia has played in probably forever. For us, it's the most hyped game since last Saturday. Excited to see how we respond to that crazy environment. I'm sure it will be nothing like Pitt, Duke, Storrs or Notre Dame when they've had good teams.

Those 2 BET Championships were so much fun. While it was a frustrating few years I had some of the best times of my life down in NYC for those back to back championships. That has to count for something :cool:

Judging from your record alone, we could easily say that, having lost 2 of your last 3
Our team has lost 2 of their last 28 games. :noidea:

Yup, nothing to see last year in the tournament for sure. Moving on to people who watch basketball ...

This will be a tough matchup, no doubt. Two teams looking like final four contenders at the moment. I don't think of UVA's home court being all that intimidating, their fans are nothing like North Carolina's fan bases (it is the comfort of their northern Virginia upbringings that makes them soft.). 'Cuse plays well on the road and plays EVERYONE close this year and knows how to win close games.

I predict that on Saturday night Wahoo fans will be searching for answers in a close loss to the mighty Orange.

UNC fans????? UNC is known as the Wine and Cheese crowd of basketball. Always has been. Please don't compare UVA to one of the lamest arena fan bases of all time. That is like comparing the Dome to the Petting Zoo in the 'burg.

01 Hooif the post: 962067 said:
You should do a little more research on our team before making statements like "next year I am certain that UVA will once again fade into mediocrity". We lose two senior starters this year (Harris and Mitchell), but go about 9 deep on the bench and they will be replaced by very capable players who are getting a lot of minutes this year (Anderson and Gill). Take a look at their minutes and points per game below for comparison.

Each year since he's been here, Bennett has finished higher in the league standings than predicted by the media in the preseason, and he's won more games than he won in the prior season. With the returning talent and experience and what Bennett has done up until now, there's no reason to believe we won't maintain the current level of play - maybe not to the tune of a 14-1 start but there's no reason to think this will be a mediocre team next year.

Player Minutes Points
Harris 27.8 11.5
Anderson 22.3 8.9

Player Minutes Points
Mitchell 25 7.2
Gill 18.7 7.8
The NJ HS player of the year can't get off our bench. See you next year.

HoustonCuse said:
Take away the fluke title, 9 conference championships, 14 Sweet 16 appearances, and 3 Final Fours and we're... Virginia.

Sobering, when you put it like that

I agree... as a longtime UVA fan, I can admit that we are #12 because we struggled in our OOC portion of the schedule. Once TB figured out the rotation and put Perrantes into the starting lineup, we have been a completely different team (14-1 speaks volumes regardless of how "easy" our ACC schedule has been). SU probably would have killed us in December, but UVA is going to be a 4 or 5 point favorite on Saturday for a reason.
Just to stir up this board... I think that UVA would be favored over SU on Saturday on a neutral court (only by 1 point). The bottom line is that we are playing better than Syracuse is right now.

Dude, as a life long UVA fan, why are you posting on a Syracuse fan site and wanting to stir up the board? We will find out later today how good each team is...Nothing but respect for UVA, some of their fans lately..not so much...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom