Virginias "Great" Defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Virginias "Great" Defense

With all this talk of contact, was it just me or did anyone else seem to notice John Gillon make a shove attempt out of frustration against NC State? (i think it was against them, I didnt get to watch the game until this morning, and I dont feel compelled to watch it all again just for that).

I don't know about Grayson, taints, stiffening, and contact. I think the hoopla about the HIV had more of effect on me.

Fact of the matter I think Grayson is going to be more of a draw than dread for the Dome, and a number of SU fans will be hoping for contact, with him on the receiving end. Time will tell!
I just have a lot of Duke friends. It's a byproduct of my husband being at Duke for 12 years. I have been known to root a little Duke myself back in the day. There is so much drama that has gone on with Duke/SU since we entered the ACC. The first game at the Dome, which I still have saved on my DVR, my Duke friends were furious at the non-call on Jefferson(?) at the end. Actually, I can't quite remember the call but they were madder than hell. Then of course was Sport Coat Game. Again, many of these friends were incredulous at Boeheim's display. Then I think two games they beat the crap out of us, so they were quite satisfied. Then last year Coach K got all arrogant about how the refs screwed them and wouldn't shake hands. God bless America. And now we have a kid with "issues" coming into the Dome, and Duke is a little down this year so we actually have a chance to have a satisfying, deserved win against them. But who knows?

I find it stressful.

That team has a very good Team defense with their sell out hard hedges on all high screens
which is a bad match for us given our heavily screen oriented offense .

However , Virginia doesn't have any individual lock down defender like they had in
Brogdon. Just like last year , once we quit playing into their hands, dumped the screening and just let guys take their men off the dribble, they had no answer
Agree w/ this post except for the fact that they are a good team defensively b/c they simply hardge hedge on ball screens. Lots of teams do this but do not execute like UVA does. They are always in coordination on who is tagging the roller and giving help when it is needed. With that said, you can beat UVA defensively if you are well schooled and know how to counter being blitzed on ball screens.

I just have a lot of Duke friends. It's a byproduct of my husband being at Duke for 12 years.

And now we have a kid with "issues" coming into the Dome,

and Duke is a little down this year so we actually have a chance to have a satisfying, deserved win against them. But who knows?

I find it stressful.

I think Brent Axe missed an easy cheap shot at things to mock(their definition of super-senior, apparently) our first year in the ACC when he wrote an article mocking Bo Jangles famous chicken, and the like, instead.

It's a shame Devo couldnt still suit up and get in his ear.

As for down year, I hope to the basketball gods we take advantage, if one still exists by that point(the schedulers didnt do us any favors with regards to they Grayson suspension, injuries, or Special K being out).

Yeah I made the same mention and it also made me think of the following:
Of all the types of intentional fouls the easiest ones to prove intent on are the ones that involve the legs and feet IMO. Often times the defender will look where he wants his foot or leg to be before putting it there as to minimize their own risk of injury. So why do they review all the elbows which are often quite subjective in proving intent while ignoring the obvious tripping.

No I'm not advocating reviewing all tripping fouls but I think they have more potential for causing serious injury than any hands and elbows. Except for a shove to the back while airborne, but that never needs review.

I personally think Grayson's antics have all been intentional and he should have suffered multiple 10 game suspensions by this point. He lacks self control to a malicious level IMO.

I think they give special attention to elbows because they are usually directed at the head /face

I like the way they're using White now. Early on, I think he was mostly just a spot-up shooter. Now, he's putting the ball on the floor and getting into the lane, and sometimes all the way to the rim. He's much more difficult to defend than he was before.

Well, that was the part of his game he wanted to / needed to develop here.

I think they give special attention to elbows because they are usually directed at the head /face

Yeah I get that but careers are not lost from a bruised cheekbone. ;-) Elbow intent is quite subjective was my point, where as the intent on a trip is very easy to spot especially while under review.

No biggie they already review too much as it is.
Cheers!

I just have a lot of Duke friends. It's a byproduct of my husband being at Duke for 12 years. I have been known to root a little Duke myself back in the day. There is so much drama that has gone on with Duke/SU since we entered the ACC. The first game at the Dome, which I still have saved on my DVR, my Duke friends were furious at the non-call on Jefferson(?) at the end. Actually, I can't quite remember the call but they were madder than hell. Then of course was Sport Coat Game. Again, many of these friends were incredulous at Boeheim's display. Then I think two games they beat the crap out of us, so they were quite satisfied. Then last year Coach K got all arrogant about how the refs screwed them and wouldn't shake hands. God bless America. And now we have a kid with "issues" coming into the Dome, and Duke is a little down this year so we actually have a chance to have a satisfying, deserved win against them. But who knows?

I find it stressful.

The controversial end of the game no call in that one was Christmas on Hood. Great no call imo. Christmas' hand blocked ball before the arm contact.

Shockingly
Vitale disagreed

Always a good time to post this

The controversial end of the game no call in that one was Christmas on Hood. Great no call imo. Christmas' hand blocked ball before the arm contact.

Shockingly
Vitale disagreed

Always a good time to post this

Bleeping amazing display of athleticism in a spot where it really counted...and amazingly the refs got a tough call right, in Cuse's favor(against Duke?)? How often does that happen?

Question, especially for those who sat nearer to the north end of the dome in the first half. I sit next to the students on the opposite end. From my vantage point it appeared that in the first half a UVA player tripped an SU player and was called for the foul. I can't recall which SU player it was but I remember turning asking "did I just see a Grayson Allen type trip?" People around me were asking why it wasn't intentional. Was it just incidental? Tough to see from where I was to judge it. Thanks.
I thought it was just some contact.

They are a solid defense, but we have two players that can create offense one-on-one. Some of the possessions were actually strong defensively for Virginia; our kids just made better offensive plays. Usually, great offense will beat great defense. Our kids deserve props for making plays and shots against solid defense today.

Best defense in the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom