Visit Picture | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Visit Picture

Yeah man, the corporations!
179667.jpg

How did Occupy Wall Street work out for ya?
i don't believe in the occupy wall street movement...i was simply stating the fact that the university is run like a large corporation, and football will not receive money because it doesn't bring much in the way of money to the university in it's current state...

Forgive my ignorance but what is a 1B fundraising campaign? and what would that build? Thanks for your insight
SU started a campaign to raise $1 billion for the endowment about 4 years ago. SU is ahead of schedule and will make the goal sometime in 2012. But, this is not for athletics. That's what Floyd Little was supposed to do, I believe.

The 1B fund is a general campaign. A huge portion of it is going towards general financial aid and scholarships. I'm sure the football team can take from there, but I doubt they'll be able to take most of what they need.

My bold prediction of the day - this thread is about to get really interesting.

Hope so, going to be tough to top the chat about the billion dollar campai-zzzzzzzzz

the billion dollar fundraising campaign has been going on since 2005. the university has raised 930 million, and the money of the melo center came from that. but right now a lot of that money has already been spent on academic buildings and bloated salaries for administration and the faculty (just like large corporations). the endowment is tiny compared to other private universities and the people in charge of the money tend to increase their salaries every year. the football program probably will see some of the money at some point, but a lot it has already been spent and the campaign is over with come the spring semester. football is not a priority to any of the administration, except for cantor. the administration and board of trustees hates cantor by the way.
That's a ridiculous overstatement. Faculty should be well-paid so they don't leave for private industry. And, the endowment is not "tiny" compared to other universities. It may not be as large as Harvard (~$25 billion), but certainly not tiny. Also, the campaign was to add $1 billion to the endowment.

Most university endowments lost dramatically during the financial downturn (whose portfolio didn't tank).

Let's see your proof for the statement that the BOT hates cantor. My guess CTO would rip you a new one if she read your bonehead post.

the billion dollar fundraising campaign has been going on since 2005. the university has raised 930 million, and the money of the melo center came from that. but right now a lot of that money has already been spent on academic buildings and bloated salaries for administration and the faculty (just like large corporations). the endowment is tiny compared to other private universities and the people in charge of the money tend to increase their salaries every year. the football program probably will see some of the money at some point, but a lot it has already been spent and the campaign is over with come the spring semester. football is not a priority to any of the administration, except for cantor. the administration and board of trustees hates cantor by the way.

bloated salaries for faculty? like who?
I can't say for all departments but I've seen great young professors leave SU for much lucrative offers elsewhere. If you're referring to tenured professors who receive a raise every year, that happens at every university. If anything SU is not paying the younger professors enough, especially the ones who have publications that are cited hundreds of times.

I admit that I don't know much about the administrations' salaries but you're dead wrong on "bloated salaries" for faculty.

The quality of your education and the University's reputation (and that value of your degree) is ultimately based on the quality of the faculty. Where would MIT, Duke, Stanford, U. Chicago and Cal Tech be without their faculty?

Aside from the humanities, most PhDs would stand to earn considerably greater salaries in the private sector. I have no insider knowledge of the SU faculty salary distribution, but I would guess a majority fall in the $75-200K range, which after investing an additional 4-7 years in graduate school (plus one or more stints as a post-doc), is not my idea of "bloated".

That's a ridiculous overstatement. Faculty should be well-paid so they don't leave for private industry. And, the endowment is not "tiny" compared to other universities. It may not be as large as Harvard (~$25 billion), but certainly not tiny. Also, the campaign was to add $1 billion to the endowment.

Most university endowments lost dramatically during the financial downturn (whose portfolio didn't tank).

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-...s-2010-2#5-syracuse-treasurer-barbara-wells-6

ANYWAYS, anyone have any inside info on where they would like to put the practice dome/ new facility? I have heard different things.. one of those being putting a bubble over the old astro turf field.

ANYWAYS, anyone have any inside info on where they would like to put the practice dome/ new facility? I have heard different things.. one of those being putting a bubble over the old astro turf field.

I believe it is supposed to go where Coyne (Field Hockey field) is now.

Yeah. The one closest to Manley.

Thanks a lot BK, much appreciated. You think the football facility will be attached to back of manley like melo center or separate building toward the hill.

Thanks a lot BK, much appreciated. You think the football facility will be attached to back of manley like melo center or separate building toward the hill.

I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to attach it so there is access right to the weight room, but who knows.

Let's see your proof for the statement that the BOT hates cantor. My guess CTO would rip you a new one if she read your bonehead post.

If his screen name is accurate, and he is indeed a student, I wouldn't expect him to have that kind of info. I took as a made-up statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom