Vitale's comments last night | Syracusefan.com

Vitale's comments last night

AccuRater2

Walk On
The very little bit I watched the game last night (just switched over to see how horrible the score was each time), I did catch the blurb by Vitale. Although I do not like listening to him, I was happy with his comments and his going off at the NCAA for what they are doing to the 'Cuse. He said it's not fair what is being done to the players who were not involved in any of this, Trevor, Rak, etc. Mentioned Syracuse has a great program, they have a terrific recruiting class next year, and Boeheim is a great coach.

So there NCAA, take that (my comment, not Vitale's).

So I think a little better of Dick - but I always liked him as a person, just didn't like hearing him praising the Dukies all the time. But I thought it was interesting that he went off on this rampage at a Duke game! I was happy!

I think almost everyone agrees with this. How could you not? But Vitale went on to say the university should be fined $10m. I understand the sentiment behind that, but in the end, the university probably ends up passing that along to the academic side, like they tried to do with the Big East buyout fee. Then students, staff and faculty (who also had nothing to do with it) end up being punished. Vitale doesn't want to throw any of his coaching buddies under the bus, but it's certainly worth asking, especially in a case like this where we've had the same AD and most of the same coaches over the whole period, why those in charge aren't being punished instead of students who had nothing to do with it.

I caught that. Dickie V was pushing for a big monetary fine on the school rather than a post season ban for kids who had nothing to do with the violations. Everyone seems to think that makes sense...except the NCAA.

And McDonough was quick to point out that SU would have certainly accepted this fate instead of a post-season ban, if the NCAA would have gone for it.

If money was the solution things would get real interesting.

I guess UNC just pays $20 million?

If money was the solution things would get real interesting.

I guess UNC just pays $20 million?
I wonder where that $10M figure came from. How many NCAA "units" does that equal? More than a few years, certainly. I expect it was just more Dickie-speak.

I think almost everyone agrees with this. How could you not? But Vitale went on to say the university should be fined $10m. I understand the sentiment behind that, but in the end, the university probably ends up passing that along to the academic side, like they tried to do with the Big East buyout fee. Then students, staff and faculty (who also had nothing to do with it) end up being punished. Vitale doesn't want to throw any of his coaching buddies under the bus, but it's certainly worth asking, especially in a case like this where we've had the same AD and most of the same coaches over the whole period, why those in charge aren't being punished instead of students who had nothing to do with it.

Vitale floating a number like 10m sounds like hyperbole. I doubt that he thought through the amount or the unintended consequences.

/ Vitale doesn't want to throw any of his coaching buddies under the bus, but it's certainly worth asking, especially in a case like this where we've had the same AD and most of the same coaches over the whole period, why those in charge aren't being punished instead of students who had nothing to do with it.

That's a version of the Dan Dakich solution.
And he's right.
If the Athletic Dept. and coaches are expected to oversee a program...then they should be responsible for breakdowns.
If they suffered some penalty it might - might - create a little more incentive to make sure players (and staff) behaved.

There is no good reason why players who had nothing to do with violations should pay the consequences.

As far as a university fine...that would become a cost-benefit calculation.
What's the cost of cheating relative to the likelihood of getting caught?
The proper penalty might be a ban on collecting TV revenue for some time period.

I don't recall whether or not he said the whole thing started by SU self-reporting the problems and making corrections, but that is definitely a relevant component of this and should factor into the final punishment by the NCAA. Imo, that's where punishing this year's team by eliminating post season play is not fair and a monetary fine in the form of forfeiting tourney revenue for the years in question is a more suitable punishment.

A monetary fine would clearly have to be taken out of Athletic Department revenues (either post-season "shares" or tv money or something). And, once that is done, the department would have to decrease its operating expenses (or raise ticket prices).

It would not be fair to take it out of general university funds. That would penalize students by reducing scholarship aid or by reducing faculty members. SU's budget is very tight... and there are few variable costs aside from scholarship aid and the number of faculty members. Things like utilities, salaries and benefits for unionized staff, the cost of running a huge physical plant, etc... are pretty fixed.

How could anyone know how much, if any, the school should be fined, until you know what occurred?

What are the incentives and repercussions to giving something like $10 million to the NCAA? To be used for what?

If all schools had to do was pay a fine, you could just throw out the rule book and assess each team an annual $5m fine because cheating would go through the roof.

UK is going undefeated and there is no way that sh+t is above board. If UK got caught in 5 years for this, their boosters would cough up the money with gigantic smiles on their faces.

There is only one real way to punish schools and unfortunately the kids always take the brunt of it.

What are the incentives and repercussions to giving something like $10 million to the NCAA? To be used for what?

Would have to go directly to a charity like pro athlete fines so there would be very little chance of improper penalties just for money.

If all schools had to do was pay a fine, you could just throw out the rule book and assess each team an annual $5m fine because cheating would go through the roof.

UK is going undefeated and there is no way that sh+t is above board. If UK got caught in 5 years for this, their boosters would cough up the money with gigantic smiles on their faces.

There is only one real way to punish schools and unfortunately the kids always take the brunt of it.

they wouldn't have to worry about that they play in the sec.

The AD at the time of the Drug Policy being started from what I understand was Jake. He's gone so the one who started this whole mess gets off without any punishment.

I caught that. Dickie V was pushing for a big monetary fine on the school rather than a post season ban for kids who had nothing to do with the violations. Everyone seems to think that makes sense...except the NCAA.
My issue with fining schools is that the NCAA gets that money for what? They are supposed to be a non-profit organization. Syracuse should have to donate a couple million to a charity and it would benefit everyone. The NCAA deserves absolutely nothing.

The very little bit I watched the game last night (just switched over to see how horrible the score was each time), I did catch the blurb by Vitale. Although I do not like listening to him, I was happy with his comments and his going off at the NCAA for what they are doing to the 'Cuse. He said it's not fair what is being done to the players who were not involved in any of this, Trevor, Rak, etc. Mentioned Syracuse has a great program, they have a terrific recruiting class next year, and Boeheim is a great coach.

So there NCAA, take that (my comment, not Vitale's).

So I think a little better of Dick - but I always liked him as a person, just didn't like hearing him praising the Dukies all the time. But I thought it was interesting that he went off on this rampage at a Duke game! I was happy!

I do agree that it is absurd to punish people who had nothing to do with the infractions. However, I also don't know how anyone other than the people truly "in the know" can have an opinion on this... All of us have heard bits and pieces of the truth along with a ton of rumors. How can any of us form a solid opinion on this subject? We can use past precedents of how the NCAA has mishandled cases, but none of us know all the details on this case.

The AD at the time of the Drug Policy being started from what I understand was Jake. He's gone so the one who started this whole mess gets off without any punishment.

Jake may have established the drug policy which may have been a mistake, however he was not the one who did not follow through on that policy leading to the violations we are believed to be accused of. It would be like a legislature making a law which was then not enforced, who would be responsible the legislature or the people who were not enforcing a law, even if it was a stupid law.

I believe the ones who should be forced to pay are the people in charge of enforcing any policy or rule. Fine or fire those people, place blame and punishment on those assigned to enforce whatever policy is not enforced. NCAA has no power to do this, but the institution does and should. The real problem is that the NCAA has no real authority to punish the people actually responsible for violations only the individual institutions can do that and they do not or will not.

That is why nothing is ever accomplished by NCAA investigations, they can never address the root cause of the problems, and their only punishment is not punishment to the actual perpetrators of those violations, but to a bunch of athletes/students who in most cases were not involved at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom