Wagner | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wagner

I was told the schedule is complete...whatever they have lined up sounds like it is done.

Wagner (the rumor) initially didn't set off alarm bells because I remembered reading the NEC was going to 63 scholies.

However this article states the NEC has a 40 scholie limit through the 2013 season then they go to 63 scholies. No idea if there is a phase in from 40 to 63...that makes sense to me and the article might be incorrect. Maybe there is a waiver that the 2013 NEC teams count for FBS bowl eligibility...if not then it is definitely a screwup as several SunBelt teams were available the last two months.

Let's wait and see what is announced before casting dispersions.

http://www.app.com/article/20130214/NJSPORTS0220/302140066/Monmouth-moving-Big-South-Conference

BTW, the Patriot is going to 63 scholies too...Colgate should definitely be on the OOC schedule in a few years after they hit 63.

Agreed, which is why I prefaced my original comment with *if*.

Hopefully, it'll count as a real game. If not, it could set an all-time low for football attendance in the Dome.

Hopefully, it'll count as a real game. If not, it could set an all-time low for football attendance in the Dome.

Well, if we're 2-0 (with the 2 particular wins we would have) and it's our home opener, that could keep us at 35k. I think the Northwestern game is going to be tougher than Penn State.

You are right that it's a big "if" or else it's a big "failure". Like Mark said, maybe there's a loophole, or a waiver that we already know we're getting.

we cant we this stupid if has to count... to hamstring shafer and staff with a game like this as our home opener doesnt make sense.

It's nice to have someone different then Colgate or Rhode Island.

It's nice to have someone different then Colgate or Rhode Island.
explain.

theyve played colgate 1x in the last 25 years.

rhode island 2x in our history and the 1st was 10 years ago.

if wagner doesnt count, they might as well play liverpool.

Oh Lord

I gladly wait and see, but if this turns out to be true, I want to see heads roll...

It would be a major embarrassment and proof of major incompetence in the AD...

Who is responsible for scheduling, BTW?

Didn't I read somewhere that Kevin Van Derzee (Dir. of Football Operations) was let go?

I wonder if this potential screw-job had something to do with that if true???

I understand not wanting to play an FCS team if it doesn't count on the win total, but why would that affect attendance? Don't people still want to see Syracuse play?

explain.

theyve played colgate 1x in the last 25 years.

rhode island 2x in our history and the 1st was 10 years ago.

if wagner doesnt count, they might as well play liverpool.

Oh Lord
just want something different is all. I wasn't making the point that we play them all the time it was more saying its nice to see change. It's a simple statement. But if it doesn't count then i give it a :( (frowny face) and i don't approve of this choice. if it were my choice Villanova. I like the sound of beating them in basketball and on the football field. It's kind of hardnosed.

I understand not wanting to play an FCS team if it doesn't count on the win total, but why would that affect attendance? Don't people still want to see Syracuse play?
I doubt many people who are beyond a 2-hour drive are going to come to Syracuse for a scrimmage.

I know that I won't by flying up for this one.

I doubt many people who are beyond a 2-hour drive are going to come to Syracuse for a scrimmage.

Nope,,waste of time and $ for me

Don't get me wrong, I'm against scheduling any games that don't count toward bowl eligibility. But I will go to see SU play The Little Sisters of the Poor's JV squad, missing their top two quarterbacks, after an outbreak of the flu has decimated the Flying Nuns' roster, on Thankgiving weekend, in a snowstorm, for a noon game, after the snowstorm canceled the delivery of beer to the Dome.

It's about watching SU play...not the opponent. I understand people not flying in for that game. But the program doesn't really rely on flyers anyway. We need to instill in the minds on SU fans that they pay to see SU. The opponent is secondary.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against scheduling any games that don't count toward bowl eligibility. But I will go to see SU play The Little Sisters of the Poor's JV squad, missing their top two quarterbacks, after an outbreak of the flu has decimated the Flying Nuns' roster, on Thankgiving weekend, in a snowstorm, for a noon game, after the snowstorm canceled the delivery of beer to the Dome.

It's about watching SU play...not the opponent. I understand people not flying in for that game. But the program doesn't really rely on flyers anyway. We need to instill in the minds on SU fans that they pay to see SU. The opponent is secondary.

I'm flying in cuz I'm hardcore...well really I already booked a ticket thinking it was Clemson.:noidea:

The Board Tailgate is when, now????? Guess we'll have to wait until the schedule comes out.

Tom two questions for you please. First you are as close as anyone on this board to the program what is the problem with scheduling? Nothing really adds up. Second, will a win against Wagner count towards a bowl? Thanks
Not sure I am as close to the program as you indicate. That being said, I will try and answer your questions...

Why the scheduling problems?

Part of the program has been driven by the BE musical chairs membership game (TCU in, TCU out, WVU out, etc.), SU's decision to change conferences and the ACC's late decision to drop the number of conference games from 9 to 8.

That stuff is out of the SU AD offices control. I think we all understand having the number of OOC games needed for a given year change back and forth seemingly every couple of months makes scheduling difficult. We don't have a giant stadium and a massive fanbase either, which makes it harder to get team to play in the Dome as well, compared to someone like Ohio State or Michigan.

But everyone in the Big East and later the ACC was put in the same boat and we were the last team in both conferences to deal with the changes and finalize the schedule. In fact, I believe we were the last BCS team to finalize its schedule last season.

We ended up being reduced to signing a deal with Missouri to play on the road with no return game, which is something that, to my knowledge, Syracuse has never done in the 123 year history of the program.

But at least it was against a team that we had a chance to beat. One more chance to become bowl eligible. (As it turned out, we won and became bowl eligible; dreams do occasionally come true).

The only thing worse would be to book a game against an FCS school where the game would not count for bowl eligibility.

This year, we were again the last school to react to the changes happening in our conferences. And it appears we are going to end up with an even worse scenario than last year.

I don't know why we react so slowly. You would think that at some point, people would learn from their mistakes.

I am not happy about it. I think we are getting exactly what should be expected based on past performance. I don't want to kick a man when he is down, but obviously, things are not going well, there are serious problems and they need to be addressed.

I was told the schedule is complete...whatever they have lined up sounds like it is done.

Wagner (the rumor) initially didn't set off alarm bells because I remembered reading the NEC was going to 63 scholies.

However this article states the NEC has a 40 scholie limit through the 2013 season then they go to 63 scholies. No idea if there is a phase in from 40 to 63...that makes sense to me and the article might be incorrect. Maybe there is a waiver that the 2013 NEC teams count for FBS bowl eligibility...if not then it is definitely a screwup as several SunBelt teams were available the last two months.

http://www.app.com/article/20130214/NJSPORTS0220/302140066/Monmouth-moving-Big-South-Conference

BTW, the Patriot is going to 63 scholies too...Colgate should definitely be on the OOC schedule in a few years after they hit 63.

Can we just have Wagner give 17 more players scholies this year and pay the bill for those players in the contract?

Cripes! If only that would keep my brother-in-law away... :confused:

Not sure I am as close to the program as you indicate. That being said, I will try and answer your questions...

Why the scheduling problems?

Part of the program has been driven by the BE musical chairs membership game (TCU in, TCU out, WVU out, etc.), SU's decision to change conferences and the ACC's late decision to drop the number of conference games from 9 to 8.

That stuff is out of the SU AD offices control. I think we all understand having the number of OOC games needed for a given year change back and forth seemingly every couple of months makes scheduling difficult. We don't have a giant stadium and a massive fanbase either, which makes it harder to get team to play in the Dome as well, compared to someone like Ohio State or Michigan.

But everyone in the Big East and later the ACC was put in the same boat and we were the last team in both conferences to deal with the changes and finalize the schedule. In fact, I believe we were the last BCS team to finalize its schedule last season.

We ended up being reduced to signing a deal with Missouri to play on the road with no return game, which is something that, to my knowledge, Syracuse has never done in the 123 year history of the program.

But at least it was against a team that we had a chance to beat. One more chance to become bowl eligible. (As it turned out, we won and became bowl eligible; dreams do occasionally come true).

The only thing worse would be to book a game against an FCS school where the game would not count for bowl eligibility.

This year, we were again the last school to react to the changes happening in our conferences. And it appears we are going to end up with an even worse scenario than last year.

I don't know why we react so slowly. You would think that at some point, people would learn from their mistakes.

I am not happy about it. I think we are getting exactly what should be expected based on past performance. I don't want to kick a man when he is down, but obviously, things are not going well, there are serious problems and they need to be addressed.

Purdue 2004 had no return game, right?

At least we beat Mizzou. Purdue treated us like their 1-AA opener in every way, shape, form.

So let's see the past 3 seasons.

Play Maine and Colgate. 2 wins, but only 1 really counts
Last season get stuck playing at Mizzou with no return game
Now looks like we will play Wagner, which basically is a glorified scrimmage.

Ya something/someone needs to change

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom