Wait for it...be Patient...Notre Dame to ACC Announcement Soon | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Wait for it...be Patient...Notre Dame to ACC Announcement Soon

The ACC gets the benefit of a more lucrative contract with ND added 2 years early.
That's not entirely true. ESPN may pay a few more dollars for the extra basketball games, but it's not going to pay millions extra for football games that it doesn't get to broadcast.

In short, it'll likely be a financial wash for the ACC membership until the football games start. I would not expect (per school) revenues to go up until ND starts to uphold its end of the agreement.

Similarly, I wouldn't expect ND to be able to tap into the ACC bowl tie-ins until it starts to play the games that would make it eligible for them. ND agreeing to the 5 extra (or 3 extra road) games could alleviate that hurdle.

Maybe you're right; I don't know. My guess is that in exchange for a 6th game you get them early entry. Payoff is in the media contract for that 6th game. That would wrap a bow on the whole deal.

I still think its unlikely - as it still makes sense to be as cordial as possible. Asking for money to get in? Honestly, it reads as small potatoes and short term thinking. Short 1 time gain vs long term investment in a profitable relationship. Door number 2, please.
Fair enough, btw I don't think the ACC should ask ND for 1 dime to enter early, all I am saying is if ND wants access to the ACC bowl-ties-in and $$$ from those bowls and the ability to play 2 seasons of ACC sports excluding football before their 5 ACC games commitment starts in 2015 they should compensate the conference with an extra game(6 games) for a couple of seasons in the future. ND has to give something to get something or else they can go play Independent football elsewhere and find homes for their other teams.

That's not entirely true. ESPN may pay a few more dollars for the extra basketball games, but it's not going to pay millions extra for football games that it doesn't get to broadcast.

In short, it'll likely be a financial wash for the ACC membership until the football games start. I would not expect (per school) revenues to go up until ND starts to uphold its end of the agreement.

Similarly, I wouldn't expect ND to be able to tap into the ACC bowl tie-ins until it starts to play the games that would make it eligible for them. ND agreeing to the 5 extra (or 3 extra road) games could alleviate that hurdle.
Exactly if ND said to the ACC you know that series we had with Syracuse 3 games in the Metlife we will play those 3 games and cancel our home games with Syracuse and those 3 games will be addition to our 5 ACC games that would work. The ACC would have the TV rights to 3 ND-SU games in the Metlife and ND could play 5 ACC those years and boom I bet ESPN would throw a couple million the ACC's way. If ND wanted to rotate its ACC opponents in those Metlife games I would be fine just have ND and the ACC opponent split the gate 50-50 and give ESPN the TV rights. I bet ND would play Miami, BC, Syracuse in the 3 games in NYC.

Fair enough, btw I don't think the ACC should ask ND for 1 dime to enter early, all I am saying is if ND wants access to the ACC bowl-ties-in and $$$ from those bowls and the ability to play 2 seasons of ACC sports excluding football before their 5 ACC games commitment starts in 2015 they should compensate the conference with an extra game(6 games) for a couple of seasons in the future. ND has to give something to get something or else they can go play Independent football elsewhere and find homes for their other teams.

That makes sense. I'm not saying the ACC should roll over for ND or not have a conversation. Clearly, there are things to work out. I just think ND has more leverage - just like in the old BE.

I just think ND has more leverage - just like in the old BE.
"just like"... nah.
I don't expect the ACC to simply roll over, say "yes", and do whatever ND wants.

Unless/until they're "all in", will ND be "more equal" than other ACC members?
Sure... but not nearly as much as they were in the BE.

"just like"... nah.
I don't expect the ACC to simply roll over, say "yes", and do whatever ND wants.

Unless/until they're "all in", will ND be "more equal" than other ACC members?
Sure... but not nearly as much as they were in the BE.
Agreed.
At some point someone will have to hold ND's feet to the fire...even a little bit.
The 5 games are a big fricken deal, no doubt. My ND friend thinks all this is a precursor to full membership, and its about getting the ND fanbase to accept the inevitable(?).
5 games today could grow into 6 in a few years, and eventually (hopefully), when the ACC is on VERY solid footing, you have them go "all-in" in everything but name.
I just hope the ACC leadership watched how ND pimped out the BEast and is determined to avoid that same fate.
We shall see. :noidea:

Early bowl tie-ins are a new addition to the argument in this thread and definitely worth getting some form of compensation from the Irish. But we don't know if that part of the agreement will be included in the early entry for other sports. Unless ND's early addition can change bowl tie-ins that are not already in place, they shouldn't be included unless they contribute somehow.

Options could include adding some ACC opponents before 2015 (if there are schedule openings), Alsacs plan of some additional ACC games after 2015, a modified bowl agreement for the next couple of seasons, or creation of a new bowl tie-in/increased payout to the conference for existing bowls.