Wait for it...be Patient...Notre Dame to ACC Announcement Soon | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Wait for it...be Patient...Notre Dame to ACC Announcement Soon

In God Arb We Trust.

To me, the most interesting piece of information related to this thread is the report that ND had some sort of agreement with the BE that they were never covered by the $5M exit fee as other schools were. Reportedly (some reports lately), they had a special agreement whereby they didn't have to pay the $5M if they stayed the 27 months. All along with regard to ND leaving, reports were of this variety:

"Big East bylaws require a 27-month notice to leave and a $5 million exit fee"

In fact, I still see some of the new reports still saying this.

Some others now say they are covered under the C7 exit agreement but as far as I know, only ND is paying the $2.5M...and some others say they (ND) were covered by their own special agreement that was different from the other schools. I wonder what the agreement is with the ACC. Reports are that they are covered under the $50M penalty agreement but maybe the fine print reveals a twist to that.

In God Arb We Trust.
I have been quiet for a while to let this all play out...and to see what actually takes place. Unlike some who use source as a synonymous with scoop, I use it as confirmation of what is taking place and actually being discussed.
Unlike DudeWVU, MHVer3, and Swaim, I have never posted this university to a conference or a realignment thread..oops well one indicating back in August that Notre Dame will select the ACC...but at any rate, my postings for my source are information that is given to me...not as a scoop because if it was truly a scoop I would be giving information that was a hunch.
I am appreciative of all the support I have received on this thread as well as others. I believe that everyone has a right to their opinion...follow me, believe me, ignore me that is your option...however; do not pick apart my posts as not being scoops as they are not intended to be so. The posts represent actual discussion with source that does know quite a bit of what is going on...for example--if you go back and read the threads you would have found what is below...this was a statement of fact not conjecture, not a scoop...it was provided as something real which is what I am trying to provide (interestingly this is 5 days prior to a statement like this being made anywhere else). So for those willing to continue to denigrate my posts..please do so; but do so with some real ammo...again, I am not a fortune teller and I will not reveal information that is here to receive props for scooping...It is for information only and brings context to the discussion...as one of the posters indicated: read between the leaves as I am not at liberty to make specific statements at times...just to lead a bit going down the road.

The ACC has already drafted the bball schedule for this coming season...Notre Dame will be in ACC come July 1...and indicated previously.

The above was supported by today's article in ESPN:http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...irish-exit-2-years-early-join-acc-source-says

"The ACC already has formulated an 18-game, 15-team scheduling format for men's basketball."

I use it as confirmation of what is taking place and actually being discussed.
Thanks for your posts. I especially like the reassurance most of them provide, though there's an air of intrigue that makes them fun as well.

Thanks for your posts. I especially like the reassurance most of them provide, though there's an air of intrigue that makes them fun as well.
air of intrigue, yes...but don't forget the bromance!

To me, the most interesting piece of information related to this thread is the report that ND had some sort of agreement with the BE that they were never covered by the $5M exit fee as other schools were. Reportedly (some reports lately), they had a special agreement whereby they didn't have to pay the $5M if they stayed the 27 months. All along with regard to ND leaving, reports were of this variety:

Some others now say they are covered under the C7 exit agreement but as far as I know, only ND is paying the $2.5M...and some others say they (ND) were covered by their own special agreement that was different from the other schools. I wonder what the agreement is with the ACC. Reports are that they are covered under the $50M penalty agreement but maybe the fine print reveals a twist to that.

actually notre dame isnt actually"paying anything" ,they are just giving the a12/bigeast 2.5mil worth of the fund from exit fees(that there entitled too) that have been accumulated and notre dame like c7 is able to keep its basketball units

It did not surprise me to hear Norte Dame had a special exit clause. I had always heard their departure would be different but never cared enough to look up the details. It was probably rewritten when they helped keep the football/basketball schools together in 2003.

actually notre dame isnt actually"paying anything" ,they are just giving the a12/bigeast 2.5mil worth of the fund from exit fees(that there entitled too) that have been accumulated and notre dame like c7 is able to keep its basketball units

Not true.

Sports Illustrated reported Monday night, however, that Notre Dame was not required to pay an exit fee because the school agreed not to seek any of the league's exit and entrance fee revenue of about $110 million accumulated in the past few years. A source confirmed those terms to ESPN on Tuesday morning.

Of the Big East's $110 million, about $10 million was given to the departing Catholic 7 schools, with $15 million going to lawyers and consultants, sources said.

That leaves an estimated $85 million to be distributed between the remaining members (Cincinnati, Connecticut and South Florida) and the league's incoming members scheduled to join in 2013 and 2014.

It's a $2.5M penalty any way you want to look at it.

Not true.

Sports Illustrated reported Monday night, however, that Notre Dame was not required to pay an exit fee because the school agreed not to seek any of the league's exit and entrance fee revenue of about $110 million accumulated in the past few years. A source confirmed those terms to ESPN on Tuesday morning.

Of the Big East's $110 million, about $10 million was given to the departing Catholic 7 schools, with $15 million going to lawyers and consultants, sources said.

That leaves an estimated $85 million to be distributed between the remaining members (Cincinnati, Connecticut and South Florida) and the league's incoming members scheduled to join in 2013 and 2014.
Wow...no penalty at all! That's why the penalty thing has been so interesting... so many different stories and now we find out they pay no exit fee.

ESPN initially reported that Notre Dame would have to pay the Big East $2.5 million to leave the conference early, but now, both Sports Illustrated and ESPN are reporting that there will be no required exit fee because the school agreed not to seek any of the league's exit and entrance fee revenue. Sports Illustrated first reported Notre Dame's imminent split from the Big East late Monday night.

If I was the ACC and I am letting Notre Dame and its Olympic Sports and Basketball programs in 2 years earlier than I was supposed because the Big East isn't good enough for Notre Dame to play 1 more year in then I tell Notre Dame schedule 6 ACC teams for the first 2 years of our agreement to cover the difference in allowing them in early. Notre Dame was suppose to schedule 5 ACC teams a year in 2014 as part of the deal to join the conference for all other sports since ND is getting in July 2013 if I was Swofford I would want some good faith from ND for the ACC accepting them early. ND could have stayed in the Big East 1 more year and sucked up their pride, but they got such a good deal I am pissed if I am SU, Pitt, UL, or anybody in the ACC having to give them a home a year early and getting nothing in return. Thus, ND should throw the ACC a bone and schedule 6 ACC teams for 2 years basically 1 extra ACC opponent for 2 years and they would be giving the ACC and its television partner ESPN a little consideration for granting them early admission.

If I was the ACC and I am letting Notre Dame and its Olympic Sports and Basketball programs in 2 years earlier than I was supposed because the Big East isn't good enough for Notre Dame to play 1 more year in then I tell Notre Dame schedule 6 ACC teams for the first 2 years of our agreement to cover the difference in allowing them in early. Notre Dame was suppose to schedule 5 ACC teams a year in 2014 as part of the deal to join the conference for all other sports since ND is getting in July 2013 if I was Swofford I would want some good faith from ND for the ACC accepting them early. ND could have stayed in the Big East 1 more year and sucked up their pride, but they got such a good deal I am pissed if I am SU, Pitt, UL, or anybody in the ACC having to give them a home a year early and getting nothing in return. Thus, ND should throw the ACC a bone and schedule 6 ACC teams for 2 years basically 1 extra ACC opponent for 2 years and they would be giving the ACC and its television partner ESPN a little consideration for granting them early admission.
And if I'm ND I say absolutely not, and that's the end of it.

No its not the end of it. The ACC is stupid for allowing ND in early without getting something from them in return. You speak in absolutes like you know for sure, but the ACC leadership had the leverage ND could join in 2014 when they are suppose to, but the ACC is accommodating them because of the C7 leaving a year early. ND is bound by the ACC exit fees if they wanted to take their keys and go with the C7 fine pay the 50 million bucks and go with them and the ACC would get a free 50 million dollars. By not asking for something the ACC is allowing ND to have their cake and eat it too. How the hell do you know ND would say no to 6 games for 1-2 years for early admission are you Jack Swarbrick? my god I can't stand arrogance and your post is the embodiment of it. The B1G teams Michigan State, Purdue are going to have a hard time scheduling ND after 2016 as the conference is going to expand conference games how the heck do you know ND wouldn't be willing to add 1 game for a couple of years. Jeez, this is crap I can't take legitimate discourse on this board is dying because people don't "like" certain people and have to sound smarter than them. My suggestion isn't absolute, but Swofford would be breaching his fiduciary duty to the conference if he didn't try to get something for the rest of the conference for ND being admitted early without them playing 5 football games against ACC schools in the 2013 season.

I do not feel this is a big deal.

The football deal is separate. The ACC is getting Notre Dame early in basketball, lax, olympic sports to help boost the conference profile/money in those sports. That is a good thing that has nothing to do with football.

Football is still coming as scheduled in 2015 so nothing has changed on that end. The 6 football thing, despite what you may have read on this thread, has been in the works for a while and is largely unrelated to the Irish coming early it is just getting lumped into this now. ESPN/ACC Network was the catalyst behind the 6 games.

Maybe not... Arbs orginial post..makes me think something might be in the works.

"2. Will Notre Dame add an additional game to its already agreed to 5 games against ACC each year
for five years to make up for the games not competed this year"

Any Negotiations would be separate, and private between the parties, we will all have to be patient and wait and see what happens. Swarbrick isn't going to just up and announce we will play 6 games with the ACC, even if they agree to it, you would need to prepare the fans for it.

Aaaaaaand it's official...

@McMurphyESPN: Notre Dame, Big East reach agreement; allowing Irish to leave early for $2.5M & join ACC on July 1

Notre Dame has spoken..now it's official ;).

March 12, 2013
Notre Dame, Ind. - The University of Notre Dame will join the Atlantic Coast Conference for athletic competition in all sports except football and hockey beginning with the upcoming 2013-14 seasons.
Notre Dame has been a member of the Big East Conference in most sports since 1995. The University announced Sept. 13 that it would leave the Big East to join the ACC.
With the departure of the seven current non-football institutions -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova, -- effective July 1, Notre Dame and the Big East jointly agreed that it would be best for Notre Dame to depart at the same time.
"From the time of our decision to join the ACC we have stressed our commitment to ensuring that our departure was achieved in a collegial manner," Notre Dame vice president and director of athletics Jack Swarbricksaid. "This agreement realizes that intention and we are very grateful to the members of the Big East and Commissioner Mike Aresco for helping to facilitate this orderly and timely transition."
While the vast majority of Notre Dame athletic teams will begin ACC play in 2013-14, the Irish football program remains independent. Beginning in 2014 Notre Dame will play five football games per season against ACC programs.
The Notre Dame hockey team, currently a member of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association in the final season for that league, joins Hockey East starting in 2013-14.
Notre Dame has 13 currently-competing teams that are nationally ranked - No. 1 women's fencing, No. 2 women's basketball, No. 2 men's fencing, No. 3 men's lacrosse, No. 6 women's lacrosse, No. 12 hockey, No. 15 women's tennis, No. 18 women's swimming, No. 17 baseball, No. 22 women's golf, No. 20 men's swimming, No. 24 men's basketball, and No. 27 men's tennis.

I do not feel this is a big deal.

The football deal is separate. The ACC is getting Notre Dame early in basketball, lax, olympic sports to help boost the conference profile/money in those sports. That is a good thing that has nothing to do with football.

Football is still coming as scheduled in 2015 so nothing has changed on that end. The 6 football thing, despite what you may have read on this thread, has been in the works for a while and is largely unrelated to the Irish coming early it is just getting lumped into this now. ESPN/ACC Network was the catalyst behind the 6 games.
Tell that to Florida State, Clemson, or a bunch of football schools who hate the Notre Dame deal to begin with. Notre Dame has to give something to get something, that is how the world works. If they don't want to join the ACC for 5 games go join the B1G and end this stupid conference realignment crap forever. Playing an additional game to for a couple of years is good enough to show some loyalty to the conference that is allowing you a great home for your Olympic and Basketball teams. ND can join the C7 for basketball, but the rest of the sports would suffer. Notre Dame can add 1 game as a sign of good faith. It doesn't have to be 6 games every year, but to make up for the free years their basketball and Olympic sports teams are getting. This additional game would help ND monetary as well as I am sure ESPN(the ACC TV partner) would like having an additional game and would be easier to get them to give a little bit more money in the conference renegotiation.

If the Big 10 is paying its schools $43 million each by 2017, I'm not sure any of this really matters.

If the Big 10 is paying its schools $43 million each by 2017, I'm not sure any of this really matters.
We'll see... that would be over $600M per year for the B1G's share.

It did not surprise me to hear Norte Dame had a special exit clause. I had always heard their departure would be different but never cared enough to look up the details. It was probably rewritten when they helped keep the football/basketball schools together in 2003.

ND's unique exit agreement was in an article a couple weeks ago.

Sent using my Commodore 64

ND's unique exit agreement was in an article a couple weeks ago.

There have been many conflicting reports. I don't know of one from weeks ago that said that ND would not pay a penalty all. Certainly, most reports claimed that ND would pay a penalty if they didn't wait the 27 mos.. Up until yesterday, most reports said ND would "pay" $2.5M if they left before the 27 mos..

Tell that to Florida State, Clemson, or a bunch of football schools who hate the Notre Dame deal to begin with. Notre Dame has to give something to get something, that is how the world works. If they don't want to join the ACC for 5 games go join the B1G and end this stupid conference realignment crap forever. Playing an additional game to for a couple of years is good enough to show some loyalty to the conference that is allowing you a great home for your Olympic and Basketball teams. ND can join the C7 for basketball, but the rest of the sports would suffer. Notre Dame can add 1 game as a sign of good faith. It doesn't have to be 6 games every year, but to make up for the free years their basketball and Olympic sports teams are getting. This additional game would help ND monetary as well as I am sure ESPN(the ACC TV partner) would like having an additional game and would be easier to get them to give a little bit more money in the conference renegotiation.

Notre Dame can go wherever they want. They're choosing this. That's what they're "giving."

There have been many conflicting reports. I don't know of one from weeks ago that said that ND would not pay a penalty all. Certainly, most reports claimed that ND would pay a penalty if they didn't wait the 27 mos.. Up until yesterday, most reports said ND would "pay" $2.5M if they left before the 27 mos..

They are paying $2.5m. Its semantics about the word used. They will have $2.5m less than they would if they had stayed.