Wait for it...be Patient...Notre Dame to ACC Announcement Soon | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Wait for it...be Patient...Notre Dame to ACC Announcement Soon

They are paying $2.5m. Its semantics about the word used. They will have $2.5m less than they would if they had stayed.

Sent using my Commodore 64
Not according to today's reports:

ESPN initially reported that Notre Dame would have to pay the Big East $2.5 million to leave the conference early, but now, both Sports Illustrated and ESPN are reporting that there will be no required exit fee because the school agreed not to seek any of the league's exit and entrance fee revenue. Sports Illustrated first reported Notre Dame's imminent split from the Big East late Monday night.

Is ND really entitled to exit fees? Are Rutgers and Louisville? I didn't realize Rutgers and Louisville were getting "their share" of exit fees from Cuse and Pitt leaving.

Notre Dame can go wherever they want. They're choosing this. That's what they're "giving."
Notre Dame can go wherever they want if they bring their football program with them. They couldn't get the deal they got with ACC with the Pac-12, B1G, SEC. Maybe they could get the deal with the Big XII, but honestly if Notre Dame wants its basketball and Olympic sports to benefit and thrive they should give a little something to the conference in good faith. ND basketball and Olympic sports are going to get 2 seasons in the ACC before the Football program plays 5 ACC games in 2015. All I am saying is that the ND should in good faith give the ACC a couple of seasons of 6 games versus ACC opponents to compensate for the ACC welcoming ND early. The gesture would help the ACC's TV partner ESPN and it would probably generate more revenue for the ACC and ND by proxy. People continue to allow ND to get great deals well if ND wants to go play in Texas 4 times a year, Oklahoma 2 times a year, Kansas 2 times a year, Iowa, West Virginia go ahead. ND's basketball teams aren't a big loss and the ND would leaving the East timezone where the bulk of its alumni live. To even suggest that the suggestion ND should compensate the ACC for early admission is nonsense is ridlicious and makes me hate Notre Dame when I don't currently.

Notre Dame can go wherever they want if they bring their football program with them. They couldn't get the deal they got with ACC with the Pac-12, B1G, SEC. Maybe they could get the deal with the Big XII, but honestly if Notre Dame wants its basketball and Olympic sports to benefit and thrive they should give a little something to the conference in good faith. ND basketball and Olympic sports are going to get 2 seasons in the ACC before the Football program plays 5 ACC games in 2015. All I am saying is that the ND should in good faith give the ACC a couple of seasons of 6 games versus ACC opponents to compensate for the ACC welcoming ND early. The gesture would help the ACC's TV partner ESPN and it would probably generate more revenue for the ACC and ND by proxy. People continue to allow ND to get great deals well if ND wants to go play in Texas 4 times a year, Oklahoma 2 times a year, Kansas 2 times a year, Iowa, West Virginia go ahead. ND's basketball teams aren't a big loss and the ND would leaving the East timezone where the bulk of its alumni live. To even suggest that the suggestion ND should compensate the ACC for early admission is nonsense is ridlicious and makes me hate Notre Dame when I don't currently.
ND can go anywhere they want except the B1G as long as every league dreams of getting them in for football.

actually notre dame isnt actually"paying anything" ,they are just giving the a12/bigeast 2.5mil worth of the fund from exit fees(that there entitled too) that have been accumulated and notre dame like c7 is able to keep its basketball units
This is the first time that I have read that the C7 and ND were keeping their NCAA tourney units. Any source/link?

Not according to today's reports:

Is ND really entitled to exit fees? Are Rutgers and Louisville? I didn't realize Rutgers and Louisville were getting "their share" of exit fees from Cuse and Pitt leaving.

Same thing. Numbers may not be exact but a dollar not received is a dollar paid.

ND can go anywhere they want except the B1G as long as every league dreams of getting them in for football.
Again, ND could go anywhere they want if they brought their football team with them. The SEC, Pac-12, B1G wouldn't give ND the deal that the ACC did. Only the Big XII would among major conferences. Notre Dame is benefiting more from this alliance than the ACC will until Notre Dame eventually commits to the League. All ND did was verbal to the ACC, until they sign the LOI they can still be recruited by other conferences. They will have to pay a 50 million dollar check to the ACC, but ND prints money and I am sure they could get any league to pay that exit fee to get the Irish football in their conference. All I am saying is ND should in good faith give something to the ACC for the ACC giving them a home earlier than ND will schedule 5 ACC teams per season. The Big East blowing up earlier than expected is not the ACC's fault its Mike Aresco's awful negotiation for the 1 year stop gap. Mike Brey was on record less than 3 weeks ago that the Irish would remain in the Big East 1 more year the ACC is doing ND a favor. The arrogance of anybody suggesting this is laughable and just shows much power Notre Dame truly has. Whomever said the negotiations are probably done in secret is correct, and I expect Swofford behind the scenes is meeting with Jack Swarbrick trying to find some sort of compensation Notre Dame can do for its early admission.

One could argue that ND is already doing more harm than good. Does the big 10 expand without being provoked by the ACC-ND alliance. Maybe not. When has ND ever acted in “good faith”? Catholic in name only. ACC has no leverage.

One could argue that ND is already doing more harm than good. Does the big 10 expand without being provoked by the ACC-ND alliance. Maybe not. When has ND ever acted in “good faith”? Catholic in name only. ACC has no leverage.

Pretty much. About the only leverage the ACC has appears to be that if (and that's a huge IF) push comes to shove, ND would prefer the ACC (as currently configured) over the BiG if it absolutely had to join a conference for football.

The Big East never even had the latter, with ND making it clear from Day One it would never join the league for football.

Cheers,
Neil

About the only leverage the ACC has appears to be that if (and that's a huge IF) push comes to shove, ND would prefer the ACC (as currently configured) over the BiG if it absolutely had to join a conference for football.

I have to think if push comes to shove, it is highly unlikely the ACC membership will be same as it is now. IMO, unless the ACC doomsday scenario shakes out, ND will get at least another decade of football independence, thanks to the ACC.

Same thing. Numbers may not be exact but a dollar not received is a dollar paid.
maybe...unless ND was not entitled to any exit fees because they themselves are leaving. Recent reports also say that ND had a unique agreement with the BE in that, unlike the others, they would pay no penalty at all if they stayed the full 27 mos.. In any case, ND seemed to have made out better than the other football schools that left. I think it also begs the question of whether the ACC $50M exit fee really exists for ND.

maybe...unless ND was not entitled to any exit fees because they themselves are leaving. Recent reports also say that ND had a unique agreement with the BE in that, unlike the others, they would pay no penalty at all if they stayed the full 27 mos.. In any case, ND seemed to have made out better than the other football schools that left. I think it also begs the question of whether the ACC $50M exit fee really exists for ND.
Notre Dame was a Big East member until this past October, they were entitled to a portion of the Syracuse and Pitt 7.5 million from 2011 and the West Virginia 20 million dollars from 2011. After those 3 schools left and paid 35 million dollars the remaining 13 schools were entitled to a portion of those exit fees from the Big East Conference why wouldn't Notre Dame have been entitled to their portion. It is pretty obvious this is the money that Notre Dame is forfeiting to the Big East in exchange for an early release.

Notre Dame was a Big East member until this past October, they were entitled to a portion of the Syracuse and Pitt 7.5 million from 2011 and the West Virginia 20 million dollars from 2011. After those 3 schools left and paid 35 million dollars the remaining 13 schools were entitled to a portion of those exit fees from the Big East Conference why wouldn't Notre Dame have been entitled to their portion. It is pretty obvious this is the money that Notre Dame is forfeiting to the Big East in exchange for an early release.
I wouldn't know. I didn't see the contract and what it says happens if your school leaves too. Funny though that WV paid so much penalty after all the dollars they were entitled to from SU and Pitt leaving.

Great Point...and if that keeps the ACC together...it is money well spent

Correct. The same article had said if ND stayed the 27 months, they pay anything. Stay less, they "pay" $2.5m.

I have been quiet for a while to let this all play out...and to see what actually takes place. Unlike some who use source as a synonymous with scoop, I use it as confirmation of what is taking place and actually being discussed.
Just out of curiosity, I have seen (what I presume to be) you post on other boards as "moneymangls". Are you an attorney?

Again, ND could go anywhere they want if they brought their football team with them. The SEC, Pac-12, B1G wouldn't give ND the deal that the ACC did. Only the Big XII would among major conferences. Notre Dame is benefiting more from this alliance than the ACC will until Notre Dame eventually commits to the League. All ND did was verbal to the ACC, until they sign the LOI they can still be recruited by other conferences. They will have to pay a 50 million dollar check to the ACC, but ND prints money and I am sure they could get any league to pay that exit fee to get the Irish football in their conference. All I am saying is ND should in good faith give something to the ACC for the ACC giving them a home earlier than ND will schedule 5 ACC teams per season. The Big East blowing up earlier than expected is not the ACC's fault its Mike Aresco's awful negotiation for the 1 year stop gap. Mike Brey was on record less than 3 weeks ago that the Irish would remain in the Big East 1 more year the ACC is doing ND a favor. The arrogance of anybody suggesting this is laughable and just shows much power Notre Dame truly has. Whomever said the negotiations are probably done in secret is correct, and I expect Swofford behind the scenes is meeting with Jack Swarbrick trying to find some sort of compensation Notre Dame can do for its early admission.

This whole "ND" should compensate the ACC for early entry is off. The ACC and its members are using ND to get a bigger check from ESPN/ABC. If FSU and Clemson don't like it they can turn down to sizable increase in media money.

Secondly, it assumes the ACC has more leverage than it actually does. It has some - but it gains more by keeping the relationship as healthy as possible.

And it all means a better deal for us, maybe more stability... To rock that boat because its tricky to add a team a year early (when according to Arb and now reports) - they had a contingency plan for? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

This whole "ND" should compensate the ACC for early entry is off. The ACC and its members are using ND to get a bigger check from ESPN/ABC. If FSU and Clemson don't like it they can turn down to sizable increase in media money.

Secondly, it assumes the ACC has more leverage than it actually does. It has some - but it gains more by keeping the relationship as healthy as possible.

And it all means a better deal for us, maybe more stability... To rock that boat because its tricky to add a team a year early (when according to Arb and now reports) - they had a contingency plan for? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
Notre Dame is getting 2 years in the ACC without playing 5 ACC football games. If ND wants to enter the ACC early they should compensate for this. The Big East blowing up this year is not directly the ACC's fault. They could play UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida and the new members 1 more year and join the ACC in 2014. The ACC isn't getting a bigger check until the ACC contract is renegotiated and part of that renegotiation is having 2/3 ND football games on ESPN each year. ND could easily play 6 games for a couple of years and ESPN would probably give a couple more million dollars per year. How is rocking the boat telling ND they need to compensate the conference for this convenience my goodness Notre Dame isn't untouchable and won't rock the boat. ND is getting access to the ACC's bowl-tie-ins taking ACC money from the conference and why shouldn't ND throw a bone for getting 2 years of basketball money and Olympic sports having a good home. I bet Swofford is negotiating something with Swarbrick as Swofford would be stupid not to try and get something for allowing ND in early.

Notre Dame is getting 2 years in the ACC without playing 5 ACC football games. If ND wants to enter the ACC early they should compensate for this. The Big East blowing up this year is not directly the ACC's fault. They could play UConn, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida and the new members 1 more year and join the ACC in 2014. The ACC isn't getting a bigger check until the ACC contract is renegotiated and part of that renegotiation is having 2/3 ND football games on ESPN each year. ND could easily play 6 games for a couple of years and ESPN would probably give a couple more million dollars per year. How is rocking the boat telling ND they need to compensate the conference for this convenience my goodness Notre Dame isn't untouchable and won't rock the boat. ND is getting access to the ACC's bowl-tie-ins taking ACC money from the conference and why shouldn't ND throw a bone for getting 2 years of basketball money and Olympic sports having a good home. I bet Swofford is negotiating something with Swarbrick as Swofford would be stupid not to try and get something for allowing ND in early.

Maybe you're right; I don't know. My guess is that in exchange for a 6th game you get them early entry. Payoff is in the media contract for that 6th game. That would wrap a bow on the whole deal.

I still think its unlikely - as it still makes sense to be as cordial as possible. Asking for money to get in? Honestly, it reads as small potatoes and short term thinking. Short 1 time gain vs long term investment in a profitable relationship. Door number 2, please.

Correct. The same article had said if ND stayed the 27 months, they pay anything. Stay less, they "pay" $2.5m.
You are assuming they were entitled to money from the exit fee pool. I haven't seen the contract so hard for me to know for sure. I wonder how much money WV was entitled to.

You are assuming they were entitled to money from the exit fee pool. I haven't seen the contract so hard for me to know for sure. I wonder how much money WV was entitled to.

Not assuming anything. Just repeating what the article says. WVU didn't get anything probably because they were the first to leave.

Short 1 time gain vs long term investment in a profitable relationship. Door number 2, please.
Technically, it should be 5 games... 1 extra game for 5 years.

The agreement was that ND could place its "Olympic" sports in the ACC if it agreed to play 5 football games against ACC opponents each year. That won't be happening in 2013.

The ACC shouldn't need to ask... ND should offer to do this. If not 5, then perhaps 3 (3 road games to even those years out and make ESPN happy). Failure on ND's part to do this will just rub some people the wrong way.

Not assuming anything. Just repeating what the article says. WVU didn't get anything probably because they were the first to leave.

the article didn't say ND was entitled to anything. It said ND would not seek any of the league's exit fees.

both Sports Illustrated and ESPN are reporting that there will be no required exit fee because the school agreed not to seek any of the league's exit and entrance fee revenue.

Rutgers is seeking exit fee dollars (among other dollars) it claims the league owes it. I am not sure that means they are definitely owed those dollars.

The ACC gets the benefit of a more lucrative contract with ND added 2 years early.