Waiting Until August | Syracusefan.com

Waiting Until August

AngryOtto

All Conference
Like many die hard SU fans I find myself scanning this site and others for any new that is SU related. Whether it is for football, basketball, lacrosse, soccer etc.
It use to be that we would get occasional oranges or some other emoji and sit up waiting to see who would be the newest member of the orange athletic family. Now with the portal we are bombarded with news of players leaving schools and entering the portal. Some only after being on a campus for a few months or a year. With the new form of free agency in college sports as fans we must wait literally until the whistle blows to know who is on the team.
As an alumni and a fan it saddens me. I know it is the new normal in college athletics. It seems that the only thing to do is wait until August or October or the spring to see which athletes will be on the team.
Disappointing but as a alumni and forever supporter of SU I guess it’s my new normal. In the end I will watch every game and support the team that represents my university. The only thing that matters as an alumni is the name on the front of the jersey not the back.
Forever Orange.

Like many die hard SU fans I find myself scanning this site and others for any new that is SU related. Whether it is for football, basketball, lacrosse, soccer etc.
It use to be that we would get occasional oranges or some other emoji and sit up waiting to see who would be the newest member of the orange athletic family. Now with the portal we are bombarded with news of players leaving schools and entering the portal. Some only after being on a campus for a few months or a year. With the new form of free agency in college sports as fans we must wait literally until the whistle blows to know who is on the team.
As an alumni and a fan it saddens me. I know it is the new normal in college athletics. It seems that the only thing to do is wait until August or October or the spring to see which athletes will be on the team.
Disappointing but as a alumni and forever supporter of SU I guess it’s my new normal. In the end I will watch every game and support the team that represents my university. The only thing that matters as an alumni is the name on the front of the jersey not the back.
Forever Orange.
We won a N.C. last year in soccer with the portal. Wouldn't have won it without it.

Missed my point. Not saying the portal is a complete detriment. I was indicating as a fan and alumni it’s difficult to follow any team until the games actually start. As alumni we love and support the university. We support the team not any individual player. It use to be that you would follow the team and root for particular players that were invested in the university like other alumni. Now it’s a new team with new players every year. Thus waiting until the start of the season to know who is on the team that I will support because the name on the front of the jersey not the back.
We won a N.C. last year in soccer with the portal. Wouldn't have won it without it.

The portal IMO gives Syracuse football a better chance to sneak into the expanded playoff some year where the stars align.

Yup.

We’ve gotten more 4* dudes from the portal, than in the past 2 decades of HS crootin.

We’re likely never gonna land enough high end talent straight from HS, so working the portal to supplement the guys we do croot and develop, is how we can be as competitive as possible.

Not to be pedantic, but alumni is the plural. One person is an alumnus or alumna, depending on gender.
Unless one identifies as multiple persons…

Yup.

We’ve gotten more 4* dudes from the portal, than in the past 2 decades of HS crootin.

We’re likely never gonna land enough high end talent straight from HS, so working the portal to supplement the guys we do croot and develop, is how we can be as competitive as possible.
Yes if we can retain most of our developed talent, then this portal world is positive for us, just can’t get stripped of our 6 best players each year, or something terrible like that.

E pluribus unum
One of our personalities is a Buttgers fan. None of us can stand the guy.
03762182-129B-4D62-9F57-F6995CCD0987.jpeg

Forever Orange.
I would expect another batch of Syracuse football players to announce they hitting the portal in the next few days. Mostly the week after the spring game (next week).

There is a flurry of activity in the portal now. Lots of players leaving for greener pastures. Most schools have just finished spring football, and the coaches and players have had discussions on the future.

We will lose some players and we will gain some. This is our new reality.

We have seen firsthand the difference between a coach that fully embraced the portal and one reluctant to use it. One wins a NC and the other one goes two years without postseason play.

for as long as we can "sell" playing time, we'll be an attractive portal destination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom