Wake Forest coach charged in deadly Queens attack on tourist | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest coach charged in deadly Queens attack on tourist

The NYPOST certainly said that Szabo was involved with another punch. Its literally the article that started this thread and has been quoted ~5 times in this thread.

Exactly, which is why it's so interesting because now that is not in any of their articles since late last night. I posted a link to one to show not all of their articles are saying that.

*** My bad, it was a nydailynews article I posted a link to but had read essentially the same exact information on nypost as well. Last night and today.

We live in an era where we have multiple sets of facts/truths. Surprised this is surprising.

Not surprised by it, it's actually part of what my profession is. It's just crazy. I'm pretty sure I used the term "interesting".

Exactly, which is why it's so interesting because now that is not in any of their articles since late last night. I posted a link to one to show not all of their articles are saying that.

The only link i saw that you posted was from NYDN, not the Post.

You also said "Other than people posting on here, I've yet to read anything written this morning that says Szabo had punched someone before being confronted by the WF coach. "

I'm just clarifying that it is out there and in has been quoted numerous times. I didnt make it up. It came from the Post.

Did the police upgrade the charge to homicide? The coroners report ruled it a homicide but that doesn't mean a homicide charge will follow.
IIRC, all that "homicide" means is that the coroner ruled that the guy didn't commit suicide or die of some disease. There is no crime of "homicide". In NYS, it's either murder (the act was done with intent to kill) or manslaughter (it was not done with intent to kill).

The only link i saw that you posted was from NYDN, not the Post.

You also said "Other than people posting on here, I've yet to read anything written this morning that says Szabo had punched someone before being confronted by the WF coach. "

I'm just clarifying that it is out there and in has been quoted numerous times. I didnt make it up. It came from the Post.

Missing my point. I wasn't implying in any way that people were making it up. I stated that I didn't think that.

I also corrected what I wrote about it being from nypost before you posted.

Missing my point. I wasn't implying in any way that people were making it up. I stated that I didn't think that.

I also corrected what I wrote about it being from nypost before you posted.

fair enough. Back to my friend occams razor says if a specific incident is specifally reported - there is probably some truth to it.

This is going to become a racial thing more than anything

*** My bad, it was a nydailynews article I posted a link to but had read essentially the same exact information on nypost as well. Last night and today.
The media never screws up stories or stokes dissent.

IIRC, all that "homicide" means is that the coroner ruled that the guy didn't commit suicide or die of some disease. There is no crime of "homicide". In NYS, it's either murder (the act was done with intent to kill) or manslaughter (it was not done with intent to kill).
I believe homicide is defined as "death caused by another human".

I believe homicide is defined as "death caused by another human".
Exactly. It's a coroner's ruling which starts the investigation of the circumstances.

Marvin Harrison's reaction to this

1533951310504.png

A scent is starting to waft around this case.
Faint smell now...but it will be interesting to see Queens DA Richard Brown explain why he hasn't upped the charge.
It should at least be voluntary manslaughter.
And the coach is going to have a tough time coming up with a defense since he seems to have left the safety of his vehicle to deliver the fatal punch.
Perhaps he'll try some version of coming to the defense of others.

The idiot banged on the coaches car. The idiot had already punched someone else. The coach took appropriate action to protect his property. If he would have tried verbal dissuasion he would have been punched by the idiot. Coach will be charged with manslaughter and be found innocent but in the meantime he will lose his job at Wake. You can take reasonable steps to defend yourself and your property. The case will revolve around 'reasonable'. Attorneys please chime in.

I don’t believe NYS allows you to use deadly force to protect property. So if he;s smart, that won’t be his defense. You don’t get to knock someone out because they’re tapping on your car windows.

Boy this case has horrible facts and should prove itself to be pretty devisive.

There’s a lot of questions. Was he going to protect the guy who the victim punched? Or was he annoyed that his windows were tapped? If it’s the latter, he should see the inside of a jail cell. If it’s the former, then who knows.

That’s right up the street from me. LIC is a very quiet neighborhood aside from the elevated subways. Crazy that happened here.

I don’t believe NYS allows you to use deadly force to protect property. So if he;s smart, that won’t be his defense. You don’t get to knock someone out because they’re tapping on your car windows.

Probably a rental car anyway, which makes it even less of a reason.

Only if you are defending entrance to your home and you are inside that home.

I doubt he'll use the defense that he was protecting his property. Either way, a punch doesn't qualify as deadly force.

Well off D1 coach = innocent
Poor inner city kid = 15yrs in Sing Sing
...I'll be kneeling during the anthem of all wake forest hoop games from now on

I doubt he'll use the defense that he was protecting his property. Either way, a punch doesn't qualify as deadly force.

If it results in a death. It’s deadly force.

If it results in a death. It’s deadly force.

That's not how it works. The result doesn't define the severity of the action or intent. If a single punch is considered deadly force, then there are countless examples of attempted murder not being prosecuted correctly. Shooting or stabbing somebody would likely result in serious bodily harm or death. Punching somebody once rarely results in serious bodily harm or death. That's the standard typically applied (the likelihood of serious injury or death) when determining whether or not deadly force was used.

Last edited by a moderator:

1 punch is “deadly force?”

Man... delone carter, Derrick Coleman, Devo, TRob, deshaun Williams, plenty of lax players (literally off the top of my head just Cuse related) are all lucky as hell to not be rotting in jail for attempted murder.

(Plenty of sarcasm)

1 punch is “deadly force?”

Man... delone carter, Derrick Coleman, Devo, TRob, deshaun Williams, plenty of lax players (literally off the top of my head just Cuse related) are all lucky as hell to not be rotting in jail for attempted murder.

(Plenty of sarcasm)

Lucky because there are people who have been convicted of Man2 for exactly those actions with a death as the result. Not murder though that would require intent, or being a professional boxer which in NY makes your fists weapons and elevates the crime.

Lucky because there are people who have been convicted of Man2 for exactly those actions with a death as the result. Not murder though that would require intent, or being a professional boxer which in NY makes your fists weapons and elevates the crime.

I am not a legal expert in any way shape or form - but this is pretty recent and informative and specific to ny.

Surprised we haven't read about this article elsewhere yet.

Little-Known Law Considers 'One-Punch Homicides' a Misdemeanor, DA Says

In my 10 min of googling, 1 punch killings are a little more common than i would have anticipated but still rare. It doesn't seem to be murder anywhere. Doesn't seem to be more than a few years jail time (some with no jail time or not guilty verdicts) unless previous history of assault, victim is a girl, or sucker punch - most i saw was 11 years. Still can be jail time even if provoked. - AGAIN - VERY QUICK GOOGLING. this is not a end-all argument fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom