Wake Forest coach charged in deadly Queens attack on tourist | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest coach charged in deadly Queens attack on tourist

I am not a legal expert in any way shape or form - but this is pretty recent and informative and specific to ny.

Surprised we haven't read about this article elsewhere yet.

Little-Known Law Considers 'One-Punch Homicides' a Misdemeanor, DA Says

In my 10 min of googling, 1 punch killings are a little more common than i would have anticipated but still rare. It doesn't seem to be murder anywhere. Doesn't seem to be more than a few years jail time (some with no jail time or not guilty verdicts) unless previous history of assault, victim is a girl, or sucker punch - most i saw was 11 years. Still can be jail time even if provoked. - AGAIN - VERY QUICK GOOGLING. this is not a end-all argument fact.

The prosecuting DA has a lot of latitude in what the charge might finally be. This can lead to problems such as the appearance of if not actual favoritism. Just my opinion but these things should be decided by a grand jury given the facts and all potential charges, not by a very politically motivated DA office.

I don’t believe NYS allows you to use deadly force to protect property. So if he;s smart, that won’t be his defense. You don’t get to knock someone out because they’re tapping on your car windows.
Is a single punch a typical deadly force or a reasonable defense of property?

The prosecuting DA has a lot of latitude in what the charge might finally be. This can lead to problems such as the appearance of if not actual favoritism. Just my opinion but these things should be decided by a grand jury given the facts and all potential charges, not by a very politically motivated DA office.
In NY, to charge a felony, a GJ must vote it as a felony. If the DA doesn't think it rises to a felony, ethically he should not bring it to the GJ

the killing was accidental, the assault was not

I only read a couple articles, did we learn all the details?

Guess I'm missing how this turned to victim blaming. All stories I've read, charges are potentially going to be upgraded, which sounds more like what is known so far. The victim was drunk (you shouldn't die because of that or most of us wouldn't be on this board anymore), knocked on a vehicle door thinking it might be an Uber, a verbal altercation ensued and he was punched in the face resulting in his death.

I guess I'm missing how he deserved to die. We are talking about death, not a bruise on his face that's a little embarrassing for a few days.

He was banging on / hitting a series of cars, thinking one of them was his Uber.
The drunk guy punched a person who lived in the neighborhood in the face who came out of his house to tell Drunky McDeadGuy, "hey, calm the hell down".

Then the coach punches Drunky in the face, he falls and hits his head on the sidewalk. Certainly shouldn't be manslaughter, in my opinion.

Why not? Szabo lost everything he has over that 1 punch, with no opportunity to get any of it back ever. People make mistakes, but they also have to be prepared to suffer the consequences of their actions.

World would be a much better place if people's first instinct when they get annoyed wasn't to hit, shoot or stab someone.

The drunk guy made a series of bad decisions that could have caused damage to property by striking a series of cars, and he hit someone else, too, before he was punched. I've got zero sympathy for the dead guy. Sorry.

Only mention I saw was the guy punching someone, but not him getting punched by anyone but the coach. Didn't see it mentioned in other articles. Haven't read where Szabo was punched by anyone else before the coach that CuseFanAtl posted about.

From this article:
Report: Wake Forest assistant charged in deadly New York City attack on a tourist

"Among the cars Szabo allegedly approached was one driven by Jones, which led to their confrontation. The Post reported that Szabo was “apparently drunk” at the time of the incident and had already punched a local resident who had come outside to see who was causing such a ruckus. "

Well, if Szabo hit the window of the coach's car, I'm not going to convict him.
Glass can break, and you have a right to defend yourself and your property.

He was banging on / hitting a series of cars, thinking one of them was his Uber.
The drunk guy punched a person who lived in the neighborhood in the face who came out of his house to tell Drunky McDeadGuy, "hey, calm the hell down".

Then the coach punches Drunky in the face, he falls and hits his head on the sidewalk. Certainly shouldn't be manslaughter, in my opinion.
they charged him with misdemeanor assault, which means the prosecutor already accepts it was an assault.
when the victim dies, it can no longer be called a misdemeanor
The drunk guy made a series of bad decisions that could have caused damage to property by striking a series of cars, and he hit someone else, too, before he was punched. I've got zero sympathy for the dead guy. Sorry.
you don't have to have sympathy for the victim to understand that the person who committed the assault that killed him has to pay a very severe price

Is a single punch a typical deadly force or a reasonable defense of property?
you never saw mike tyson fight ? hands up or down. drunk and defenseless like a bum kick on the ground ?
dude was unarmed and you had a cell phone to contact proper authorities. self justice is wild west chaos.

The Florida Man Challenge is to google your birthday followed by "Florida man" and then share the craziest story that pops up from that day.

Holy crap! So I did this "Florida Man" challenge and these are the first 2 stories:

1. A Florida man charged with attempted murder for cutting off a victim's penis during an attack - at a birthday party!

2. FLORIDA MAN SHOT AFTER REFUSING SHOT - Florida man steals ambulance after being released from hospital, deputies say.
they charged him with misdemeanor assault, which means the prosecutor already accepts it was an assault.
when the victim dies, it can no longer be called a misdemeanor

you don't have to have sympathy for the victim to understand that the person who committed the assault that killed him has to pay a very severe price

Yeah, I know, the "eggshell-skulled victim".
If you intended the act, you live with the consequences.
I went to law school and I remember criminal law.
I also know that you have to convince a jury to convict you.

Another article I read said that the coach and a 17 year old witness helped Szabo to a sitting position after the fall, but then the coach sped away. He must have been drinking. Or fearful of the cops.

Big city cops are not known to be friendly to African Americans. If I were him, I would have let other white people talk to the police, too. Many punched the drunken guy who banged multiple cars. But only Jamill Jones is famous.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom