Wake is winnable | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wake is winnable

The problems that Clawson will have recruiting at Wake is the same one Grobe faced. It is the smallest, private university in the ACC conference, has high academic requirements and is recruiting against three other conference teams in the same state.
He wants to be Stanford of the east . The people at Wake understand their situation and will give him time and support .

I think the thread title is dead on. I don't get the blind optimism from some people on this board that this is an automatic win. Our offense has stalled at some point during every game we've played this year and our defense is atrocious.

People say they haven't beaten anyone. Neither have we. We have a win against an FCS team and a less than dominant win against a bad FBS team. Losing to good teams, and a bad one, doesn't make our resume any better than theirs.

This idea that our offense is going to strike fear into the hearts of opposing teams needs to be shelved this year. Is it an upgrade? Absolutely. Is it so good that we're going to blow out anyone or hang with the good teams on our schedule? Nope. Not with the defense we're playing. We only had 44 more yards than UConn and their horrible offense. And Notre Dame didn't need to worry about our 489 yards because they had 654.

This game is a pick 'em.

I think the thread title is dead on. I don't get the blind optimism from some people on this board that this is an automatic win. Our offense has stalled at some point during every game we've played this year and our defense is atrocious.

People say they haven't beaten anyone. Neither have we. We have a win against an FCS team and a less than dominant win against a bad FBS team. Losing to good teams, and a bad one, doesn't make our resume any better than theirs.

This idea that our offense is going to strike fear into the hearts of opposing teams needs to be shelved this year. Is it an upgrade? Absolutely. Is it so good that we're going to blow out anyone or hang with the good teams on our schedule? Nope. Not with the defense we're playing. We only had 44 more yards than UConn and their horrible offense. And Notre Dame didn't need to worry about our 489 yards because they had 654.

This game is a pick 'em.
While I agree that this game is not a guaranteed win, I do think our offense and style of play is forcing lesser teams to do things they don't want. Shirreffs threw ~20 more passes than his season high when they played us. I don't think that's on accident. I also think Louisville and Notre Dame tried to go big early because they didn't want to get into it with an offense that would keep coming.

I think we can make teams uncomfortable, even though we're not all that good yet.

For me, this game sets my interest level for the rest of the year. Lose to Wake? I'll continue to watch the rest of the season, but it'll be DVR time when I'm going to sleep. I started getting a little bored during the ND game. And the SFU game was torture after the 1st quarter.

Very important game on every level - recruiting, perception, buy-in, etc. We lose and the Cuse will likely be fighting BC (and maybe VA) for LAST place in the ACC.

Here's to more Brisly on returns, a couple more made field goals/extra points (and ST blocking) and a pick/fumble recovery or two. If this happens, we win by 7. And the season has hope.

This game is a pick 'em.

But we're SYRACUSE and were a dominant brand in the previous century!

He wants to be Stanford of the east . The people at Wake understand their situation and will give him time and support .

So what, lol. Every mediocre coach in the country starts a job and proclaims how he wants to be somebody else that is impressive.

When Schiano proclaimed Rutgers was the USC of the east, did that mean it was true? I guess so.

Apparently , you didn't read his bio either . For starters , he was head coach at Bowling Green in 2013 and was 10-3 and won the MAC championship.

One year, and you are hanging your hat on that makes him a good coach, well okay then. His body of work is less than impressive to me though.

They pass the eye test and they have a very good coach .

You wanted CuseLegacy to provide the link for recruiting information. So why don't you go ahead and provide the rubric you used to determine WF passed the eye test or the rubric you used to WF plays "hard", or the stats you have compiled to determine they are forcing the action.

Thank you. You can do 1 at a time btw, not looking for all that information at once.

For me, this game sets my interest level for the rest of the year. Lose to Wake? I'll continue to watch the rest of the season, but it'll be DVR time when I'm going to sleep. I started getting a little bored during the ND game. And the SFU game was torture after the 1st quarter.

Very important game on every level - recruiting, perception, buy-in, etc. We lose and the Cuse will likely be fighting BC (and maybe VA) for LAST place in the ACC.

Here's to more Brisly on returns, a couple more made field goals/extra points (and ST blocking) and a pick/fumble recovery or two. If this happens, we win by 7. And the season has hope.

Throw in Fredericks as a running back in non passing situations instead of Moe.

You wanted CuseLegacy to provide the link for recruiting information. So why don't you go ahead and provide the rubric you used to determine WF passed the eye test or the rubric you used to WF plays "hard", or the stats you have compiled to determine they are forcing the action.

Thank you. You can do 1 at a time btw, not looking for all that information at once.
That is an improving team from a total tear down and ground up rebuild . It takes more than 2 years , are you saying SU is going to roll those guys ? They were receiving top 25 votes before they went on the road for the 3rd time against P5 competition and lost .

This game is a pick 'em.

Agreed. But this O is operating at 65% efficiency and does scare opposing coaches. Wake absolutely does not want to get into a shoot out. It's a bit like a slow down B1G basketball team playing a team that likes to run. They'll both score more, but one team is comfortable doing it and the other is not.

That is an improving team from a total tear down and ground up rebuild . It takes more than 2 years , are you saying SU is going to roll those guys ? They were receiving top 25 votes before they went on the road for the 3rd time against P5 competition and lost .

That they are better than last year proves nothing. They should be. Third year in a new system. The difference is that they are not that much better. They've had an easier schedule and may win 6 games. Maybe.

That they are better than last year proves nothing. They should be. Third year in a new system. The difference is that they are not that much better. They've had an easier schedule and may win 6 games. Maybe.
You really get off on talking trash about opponents . I think every team we have on the schedule is tough and improved from last year .

We win at Wake. BC should be a given, NC State is winnable, and we steal VaTech or Pittsburgh. We got a shot at 7-5.

you do realize that from the obx to Greensboro is almost 300 miles, may get some wind and rain but the game will happen
I do know that, but in it's current configuration, this storm is huge. It could effect travel.

Unless it makes it way up the cape fear which has only happened once they could fly into charlottesville and take a bus

You really get off on talking trash about opponents . I think every team we have on the schedule is tough and improved from last year .

Who's talking trash? I'm attempting to be honest about who we're playing. I'm looking for weaknesses and ways that we can win some of these games. Wake has been very bad at pass defense. They've gotten worse at pass defense from last year, and that's a fact.

Agreed. But this O is operating at 65% efficiency and does scare opposing coaches. Wake absolutely does not want to get into a shoot out. It's a bit like a slow down B1G basketball team playing a team that likes to run. They'll both score more, but one team is comfortable doing it and the other is not.
However much our O scares anyone is balanced by how much our D doesn't. By now I would think scouting reports would include something about how our O stalls at some point and our D will give them opportunities to score. If we didn't seem to stall on O after the first quarter, or half way through it, it would be different.

Who's talking trash? I'm attempting to be honest about who we're playing. I'm looking for weaknesses and ways that we can win some of these games. Wake has been very bad at pass defense. They've gotten worse at pass defense from last year, and that's a fact.
Indiana and NC ST can run and throw .

However much our O scares anyone is balanced by how much our D doesn't. By now I would think scouting reports would include something about how our O stalls at some point and our D will give them opportunities to score. If we didn't seem to stall on O after the first quarter, or half way through it, it would be different.

Agreed. No use in denying that. But teams that are offensively challenged still have to perform. And as we saw with UCONN, defensive teams playing out of character can tighten up.

I'm not seeing any game in our schedule as an auto-win. But the games vs BC and Wake are the most winnable due to their offensive struggles.

I do know that, but in it's current configuration, this storm is huge. It could effect travel.
As of this morning the forecast for the Triad was "breezy" with stronger winds Thursday and Friday.

Indiana and NC ST can run and throw .

Agreed. They are both better than us.

Running helps, but not so much that it makes or breaks anything. We've been able to move the ball on everyone passing. I don't know if it will be enough to win, but they won't shut us down.

I have to give you credit. You're playing the heel role well. I mean, you're making me really want to beat Wake Forest. By 3 TDs. Before this, I just sort of wanted to beat them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom