Wake Kickoff: 2 PM / The CW Network | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Kickoff: 2 PM / The CW Network

Almost all channels migrated to the UHF band. 13 and up for old timers. An HD antenna is a rebranded UHF antenna. The old "Star ship enterprise" antenna is VHF. I get channels from 70 miles with my UHF... Channel 2 is uhf 17. 4, 3 is 22.1 etc... A Good UHF antenna on the roof, proper math for your in home Coax, with an amplifier of THAT #, and you may be surprised.
I have all of that.. and if you go to a site like TV fools and put in the zip you can see that you cant get much around here. just too much clutter. The main issue us that when the Syracuse stations changed to digital they also re-aimed most of the towers mostly north now. Very little is being sent south and with Digital being much more narrow band driven there isnt much you can do. With old UHF you could be on the fringe and pull in a signal.. Now its pretty much all or nothing.

Before digital I could watch Syracuse/Rochester/Bing/Toronto stations and with my rotor fine tune any of them.

I have talked with the engineers on this.. They realized the issue pretty early on but not much could be done once the helicopters flew off and the towers were loaded with the new equipment. They cheaped out on the setup.

I have all of that.. and if you go to a site like TV fools and put in the zip you can see that you cant get much around here. just too much clutter. The main issue us that when the Syracuse stations changed to digital they also re-aimed most of the towers mostly north now. Very little is being sent south and with Digital being much more narrow band driven there isnt much you can do. With old UHF you could be on the fringe and pull in a signal.. Now its pretty much all or nothing.

Before digital I could watch Syracuse/Rochester/Bing/Toronto stations and with my rotor fine tune any of them.

I have talked with the engineers on this.. They realized the issue pretty early on but not much could be done once the helicopters flew off and the towers were loaded with the new equipment. They cheaped out on the setup.
I'm fortunate to have 2 cities within 70 miles. Did you do your coax math? If so, you "may" be toast. With wrong math I received zero channels. Proper math, and placement, 70 channels. How big is your UHF?

For anyone wondering. A common piece of Coax can lose 3-6db in 100 feet(depends on freq) 3 db, is losing HALF the signal strength. Add a basic splitter, and lose another 3db. Half again. On and on.. An amplifier compensates for these massive losses. It doesn't make the antenna pull in more. If your amp is too big? Its like someone screaming in your ear. It hurts, and you cant hear a damn thing. You calculate the loss, and use an Amp that equals your Coax loss...

Window antennas are terrible. Those ray gun ones, that claim 100 miles? Terrible. A big 8 bay bowtie antenna, on the roof, is what most in my area are using. I've never seen a decent antenna at best buy.

Antenna map of Cuse looks like a bunch of channels. No way you are getting CW though. 140 miles... Best I've seen is 80.

I'm fortunate to have 2 cities within 70 miles. Did you do your coax math? If so, you "may" be toast. With wrong math I received zero channels. Proper math, and placement, 70 channels. How big is your UHF?

For anyone wondering. A common piece of Coax can lose 3-6db in 100 feet(depends on freq) 3 db, is losing HALF the signal strength. Add a basic splitter, and lose another 3db. Half again. On and on.. An amplifier compensates for these massive losses. It doesn't make the antenna pull in more. If your amp is too big? Its like someone screaming in your ear. It hurts, and you cant hear a damn thing. You calculate the loss, and use an Amp that equals your Coax loss...

Window antennas are terrible. Those ray gun ones, that claim 100 miles? Terrible. A big 8 bay bowtie antenna, on the roof, is what most in my area are using. I've never seen a decent antenna at best buy.

Antenna map of Cuse looks like a bunch of channels. No way you are getting CW though. 140 miles... Best I've seen is 80.
I have a dual 8 bay system. I am 40+ miles from syracuse. As I said the engineers came out with trucks after the digital change and testing and realized how poorly it was performing south of the city.. They expected to reach Ithaca and struggled to get past Lafayette for the most part.

it would have been fine had they not changed the direction of the towers. But the population maps told them north was better.. Turns out that you could get a signal inside of 20 miles pretty much not matter what they did and north was better if they wanted a signal to Oswego/Watertown but they lost the signal below the city which has far worse hill issues and needs a better signal.

I have a dual 8 bay system. I am 40+ miles from syracuse. As I said the engineers came out with trucks after the digital change and testing and realized how poorly it was performing south of the city.. They expected to reach Ithaca and struggled to get past Lafayette for the most part.

it would have been fine had they not changed the direction of the towers. But the population maps told them north was better.. Turns out that you could get a signal inside of 20 miles pretty much not matter what they did and north was better if they wanted a signal to Oswego/Watertown but they lost the signal below the city which has far worse hill issues and needs a better signal.
That's terrible. I'm equidistant from Portland Maine, and Boston, at sea level. 60 miles, either way, NP. Buddies 10 miles north, and south, with similar results.

Once upon a time, there were services that would rent you their antenna for a few bucks a month. You'd just stream from near the tower. Comcast sued them, and won. With so many networks offering free streaming, I wonder if this is now an acceptable alternative, for networks without a free stream?

If you are mildly devious, you can stream every channel on earth, with Kodi.

Haven't tried it, but it looks like CW has a free streaming app.

yes but not live stuff.
Time to be mildly devious...lol

Not devious: If you know someone that gets those channels, you can set up plex, there, and stream from their connection. Or just do a one week trial, from a service that has it.

yeah. I have some work arounds, i just like the ease of using my directv and dvr over using multiple streaming apps.

Looks like he’s played in a couple games already and his stats are better than anything our QBs have done through the air in recent weeks.

Clawson has gone back and forth between two QBs because he isn't getting wins.
If Kern was better than the other QB Clawson would have kept him as the starter.
Clawson has also stated that because of the academics of Wake Forest they can't take many prospects from the portal. I think he would love to find a new QB out of the portal.

Clawson has gone back and forth between two QBs because he isn't getting wins.
If Kern was better than the other QB Clawson would have kept him as the starter.
Clawson has also stated that because of the academics of Wake Forest they can't take many prospects from the portal. I think he would love to find a new QB out of the portal.
That’s rough for them. Sounds like we’re both in a similar position in terms of the QB position heading into next year.