Walking out of MSG vs. walking out of Greensboro Coliseum | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Walking out of MSG vs. walking out of Greensboro Coliseum

The biggest difference is that we left the Garden with wins. We’ve won only one ACC tournament game In 6 years.

We beat Wake in 2018 and Pitt last year, but yes your overall point is accurate. Two conference tourney titles post-1992 just isn't enough.

(Please nobody go Hotels.com Captain Obvious on me and say Final Fours are more important. Yes, I agree.)

Obviously moving to the ACC was 100% necessary, but the ACC Tourney in Greensboro just sucks. I'm glad its returning to DC and Brooklyn the next couple years.

View attachment 176902
View attachment 176903

To paraphrase Sonny Werblin, "once you cross that bridge (out of Manhattan), everything else is Greensboro."

Last edited:
Biggest impact to Cuse Downfall from 'Elite' Status? (realize it's a combination of all)

a. Moving out of Big East- Losing rivals / proximity to playing in recruiting areas (DC, Phily, NYC)?

b. Age/ Lack of motivation of coach to recruit as hard/ as nationwide as used to?

c. Sanctions?

d. Increase in competition (fewer cupcakes/better top level teams) in ACC?

I am going and staying with a friend who lives 3 miles from the coliseum. I think there is much more ease going in and out, parking, etc. but then nowhere to go before or after. I am sure in comparison to Charlotte and NYC it will suck.

Greensboro in April is absolutely beautiful with its flowering trees and bushes. Neighborhoods are fantastic. I’ve never been downtown and there may be a reason for that. I don’t know what Greensboro in March might look like. I understand spring is coming early to the southeast.
I live in Charlotte and the leaves are starting to bud on the trees. A lot of the flowering trees are in now in bloom. It feels like spring already

I live in Charlotte and the leaves are starting to bud on the trees. A lot of the flowering trees are in now in bloom. It feels like spring already
The tourney was fun in CLT last year. With the CIAA in it's final year there is an opening for a new "permanent" post season tournament in the Queen City.

General rule of thumb has always seemed to be that they’re about 2 months and 20 degrees ahead of us as far as weather goes, down there.

General rule of thumb has always seemed to be that they’re about 2 months and 20 degrees ahead of us as far as weather goes, down there.

About that. My lawn is typically being cut no later than the 1st/2nd week in March...this year it likely will be sooner. :)

The tourney was fun in CLT last year. With the CIAA in it's final year there is an opening for a new "permanent" post season tournament in the Queen City.

I think permanently having it in Charlotte is worth exploring. If we can’t get MSG, then rotating is kinda pointless. Brooklyn isn’t nearly the same as MSG for us, and nobody else cares about going there at all. DC isn’t an ACC town. Atlanta doesn’t care. Greensboro’s arena is in the middle of nowhere and only the Tobacco Road fans who will be back at home having cookies and milk at the dinner table an hour after the game like it there.

Charlotte is an easy flight for us, an easy drive for the rest of the league that actually cares, and a fun arena location.

I think permanently having it in Charlotte is worth exploring. If we can’t get MSG, then rotating is kinda pointless. Brooklyn isn’t nearly the same as MSG for us, and nobody else cares about going there at all. DC isn’t an ACC town. Atlanta doesn’t care. Greensboro’s arena is in the middle of nowhere and only the Tobacco Road fans who will be back at home having cookies and milk at the dinner table an hour after the game like it there.

Charlotte is an easy flight for us, an easy drive for the rest of the league that actually cares, and a fun arena location.
And it's home to the ACC Network...

DC is stocked with ACC alumni and fans esp obviously UVa and VT. The last go around at Verizon the place was packed.

I agree Charlotte is a far better venue than Greensboro. The ACC has to step up in class now that it is flush with big time programs. Hosting in Greensboro says it is okay to go to the games in overalls. Just overalls. Period. Not the message we want to send. We should never go there again. You need to have host cities that are a destination. Sorry, but Greensboro is a place you want to avoid if possible.

Don't agree on a permanent location. I think it is healthy to rotate the tournament among a few sites, get competition going, make the hosts work to get the business and give ACC fans a chance to see the width and breadth the new ACC covers.

Rotate between Brooklyn, DC and Charlotte. Maybe Atlanta too. I think the ACC defers to the SEC too much regarding Atlanta. We are the conference with a school there, not them. That should be our territory. Give SEC the NASCAR racetracks, where those people belong.

How close is it to one of these?

View attachment 176907
Because it does actually matter sometimes...1.9 miles driving and 1.7 miles walking...in fairness to Greensboro there are at least 2 brew pubs across the street from the coliseum and on the way to Waffle House you will pass at least 17 other restaurants. Half a step below WH and 1/2 a few steps above. Hell man, there is a Hooters closer than the Waffle House! It may not be Manhattan but it doesn't get much better than that anywhere else.

Because it does actually matter sometimes...1.9 miles driving and 1.7 miles walking...in fairness to Greensboro there are at least 2 brew pubs across the street from the coliseum and on the way to Waffle House you will pass at least 17 other restaurants. Half a step below WH and 1/2 a few steps above. Hell man, there is a Hooters closer than the Waffle House! It may not be Manhattan but it doesn't get much better than that anywhere else.

But I like waffles!

I agree Charlotte is a far better venue than Greensboro. The ACC has to step up in class now that it is flush with big time programs. Hosting in Greensboro says it is okay to go to the games in overalls. Just overalls. Period. Not the message we want to send. We should never go there again. You need to have host cities that are a destination. Sorry, but Greensboro is a place you want to avoid if possible.

Don't agree on a permanent location. I think it is healthy to rotate the tournament among a few sites, get competition going, make the hosts work to get the business and give ACC fans a chance to see the width and breadth the new ACC covers.

Rotate between Brooklyn, DC and Charlotte. Maybe Atlanta too. I think the ACC defers to the SEC too much regarding Atlanta. We are the conference with a school there, not them. That should be our territory. Give SEC the NASCAR racetracks, where those people belong.

Part of me likes the idea of rotating it. It makes sense. The issue is you never really remember where it will be in a given year.

Having a set location gives you some tradition. And it makes it easy to plan. Out of the locations IMO DC makes the most sense for all schools and their alumni. ACC is the capital of CBBall so let’s play in the capital.

No, the ACC tourney needs a NYC and Northeast presence! And that’s good for Cuse, especially in recruiting. So, having it in one city isn’t any kind of helpful solution. Brooklyn is great (I’m biased since I live there), and the tourney will have much better attendance in NYC once SU can get our mojo back. Swofford needs to figure out a way to make MSG happen—at least in a rotation with DC and Charlotte. No more Greensboro! F the North Carolina mafia.

Last edited:

Thank you, Tom! Yes to all this. I could live with Atlanta as part of a rotation but prefer the other 3, so it has a more regular presence in those cities.

LoL!!! What a joke that the ACC has the tourney in Greensboro. It’s pathetic at this point.

Yup. I’m sure it was fine when half the league played within a 45 minute drive, and it was a near lock to have UNC-Duke playing for the title every year. The league spans the entire east coast now. Time to move beyond the mom and pop stuff.

I miss a great number of things about the BET @ MSG.: I miss dealing with scalpers; getting to the Blarney early to look for tickets; the random and spontaneous LGO chants; the pulse of mid-town; 12 hours of the best college bball you can handle; being in my friend's box seats one session, then down with the crowd the next; scooping up tickets for tomorrow's games from today's losers; watching great players go nuts in non-SU games; just being in the MECCA of CBB with the best conference and most fierce rivalries in the sport, but they were family rivalries: we can disrespect our BE brethren, but I would root for any of them over other teams in the NCAA (well, maybe not GT, but you know what I mean).
Mostly, I miss the people I used to go with each year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom