Washington Huskies | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Washington Huskies

It was all Hop’s fault too and a complete indictment on him as a coach. That 9 game span coaching someone else’s team told me and every other basketball savvy person in the history of western civilization all we needed to know.
Anyone who knows anything about basketball knew it foretold a disastrous third season for him as a coach.

Having too many publicized high profile players and trying to manage, coach all the egos with their own personal expectations can be as much of a curse as a blessing for a team and the staff. It’s a challenge most any coach would gladly accept though. Tough for a coach to always get players to fulfill necessary roles, share the ball, sacrifice, be patient and mesh to not just highlight their current specific talent but to improve their weaknesses while still fulfilling team goals.

7 losses in a row and counting since Stewart’s comments about Boeheim in Goodman’s article came out. Do not cross Boeheim.
I do remember multiple people chastising me about wanting to pass on Hopkins post-Boeheim. Especially after his season last year. Im fine there... Still hope he can turn it around but Cuse needs new blood.

I do remember multiple people chastising me about wanting to pass on Hopkins post-Boeheim. Especially after his season last year. Im fine there... Still hope he can turn it around but Cuse needs new blood.
I agree and that is nothing against Hop, though I do think he has much to prove and improve on as a head guy. I just think we need a fresh start not JB connected. The program needs some fresh air.

The "Go big or Go home " recruiting strategy in 2020 that Andrew Berg talks about with Hopkins was attempted here also. Trying to land Porter,Diallo,MJ Walker,Duval,Bamba,Richards and Tucker was a total strike-out and really set the program back. Unfortunate that he hasn't learned from that fiasco.

The "Go big or Go home " recruiting strategy in 2020 that Andrew Berg talks about with Hopkins was attempted here also. Trying to land Porter,Diallo,MJ Walker,Duval,Bamba,Richards and Tucker was a total strike-out and really set the program back. Unfortunate that he hasn't learned from that fiasco.
Tucker was specifically, and for reasons, after Hop left.

And if you go back into those recruiting threads, there were plenty, plenty of folks who thought that just by being involved with the high end recruits was worth it and showed a program on the rebound.

He who?
A little mis-information here. The “Go Big or Go Home” concept was supported by the HC who wanted to hold out for Quade in an attempt to get the dominos to fall.

A certain assistant now coaching in Seattle (and others) were advising to pass on Quade and take the pending commitment from Shai Alexander - who we could have had months prior to his commitment to UK.

Those advocating to pass on Q were told to hold out for Q...and we know how that ended.

Last edited:
A little mis-information here. The “Go Big or Go Home” concept was supported by the HC who wanted to hold out for Quade in an attempt to get the dominos to fall.

A certain assistant ( and others) were advising to pass on Quade and take the pending commitment from Shai Alexander - who we could have had months prior to his commitment to UK.

Those advocating to pass on Q were told to hold out for Q...and we know how that ended.

I have a feeling that Red wanted to pass on Quade since I think Shai was a Red recruit.

Interesting to look back at that year and people were ranking the primary guard recruits as 1) Quade, 2) Coleman, and 3) SGA. Quade is likely done with D1 basketball, Coleman is still in Texas playing well enough for a starting D1 guard, and SGA was a 1-n-done and currently killing it in the NBA.

He who?

A certain assistant now coaching in Seattle (and others) were advising to pass on Quade and take the pending commitment from Shai Alexander - who we could have had months prior to his commitment to UK.

I find it IMPOSSIBLE that the impending coach had no say in the recruitment of all these 5 stars. We had never done it before or after. Nonsense you're just sticking up for your buddy.

I find it IMPOSSIBLE that the impending coach had no say in the recruitment of all these 5 stars. We had never done it before or after. Nonsense you're just sticking up for your buddy.
Was Kobi Simmons a five star? Can't remember ...

Didn’t realize we could have SGA...ouch
he put us in his final four but not sure we were ever really in the running. he never even visited.

quade, on the other hand, visited multiple times. we looked really, really good with him. until the last minute. and, btw, his commitment to uk came after sga had already signed there.

as ORRange noted, there is some revisionist history going on here

there are a lot of "hop guys" on this forum. a lot of insiders who got their info, directly or (mostly) indirectly via hop. and they are bitter about how things eventually shook out.

Kevin Knox, Brianna Stewart and Dwight Eisenhower were but was DaJuan Coleman?
Don’t know. I’m just trying to figure out where in the timeline Hop ruined Syracuse basketball before he fled and JAB had to ride in to save the program from being a perpetual bubble team.

he put us in his final four but not sure we were ever really in the running. he never even visited.

quade, on the other hand, visited multiple times. we looked really, really good with him. until the last minute. and, btw, his commitment to uk came after sga had already signed there.

as ORRange noted, there is some revisionist history going on here

there are a lot of "hop guys" on this forum. a lot of insiders who got their info, directly or (mostly) indirectly via hop. and they are bitter about how things eventually shook out.
You all believe what makes you happy and sleep well at night.

Don’t know. I’m just trying to figure out where in the timeline Hop ruined Syracuse basketball before he fled and JAB had to ride in to save the program from being a perpetual bubble team.

I never said that, dont put words in my mouth. I just stated my opinion that Hop shot for the stars that year and struck out. He did it again at Washington. And Kevin Knox and Quade were others but not Ike. We didnt get Ike either.

I never said that, dont put words in my mouth. I just stated my opinion that Hop shot for the stars that year and struck out. He did it again at Washington. And Kevin Knox and Quade were others but not Ike. We didnt get Ike either.
“[his recruiting failures] really set the program back. Unfortunate that he hasn't learned from that fiasco.”

I mean, that’s a pretty strong statement. Also, you’re killing him for whiffing on 5-star recruits at SU, but also it’s a fiasco when he lands them at UW.

Also as an FYI I've never met Hopkins or been friends with him. I’m tired of seeing everyone blamed for SU’s basketball performances except the guy running the program for the last 150 years.

“[his recruiting failures] really set the program back. Unfortunate that he hasn't learned from that fiasco.”

I mean, that’s a pretty strong statement. Also, you’re killing him for whiffing on 5-star recruits at SU, but also it’s a fiasco when he lands them at UW.

Also as an FYI I've never met Hopkins or been friends with him. I’m tired of seeing everyone blamed for SU’s basketball performances except the guy running the program for the last 150 years.
LMAO, you are using paratheses to put words in my mouth again. Hop shot for the stars twice and that's my opinion and some others in the State of Washington. Read the article , or did you take the advice above.

Another L tonight.

Somehow they were still favored vs Stanford. Wonder what the spread will be for Cal @ home. They gotta win that one.

Not sure this is on Hop. He did more in 2 years than Enfield did way longer at USC and he had a couple throwaway seasons mixed in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom