Washington Huskies | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Washington Huskies

It's piling on at this point but UDub lost again. had 5 point halftime and I think lost by 3. Last place in Pac 12 with 2 wins. next worse team is Cal with 4 wins. Nightmare season for Hop in year 3.

I was a big Hop fan the past two seasons, but I’m on the fence now. I’m giving him a pass for now because of the Green situation and what seems like a toxic locker room. But if he can’t coach up what will be a veteran squad next season I’ll be concerned.

LOL...Big Hop fan to on the fence in less than one season...I can see why you are here. You fit in really well...

Hopefully, your AD has more perspective.

Guy learned at the feet of one of the best ever for 25+ years. He has all the tools but that move one seat to the left is a huge one. He is going to make mistakes. All young coaches do.

BTW, here is what your program looks like since JB took over SU in 1976...Other than a few seasons under Romar and a couple under Harshman, the program has sucked...

You should be down on your knees thanking whomever you pray to that the stars aligned and you got Hop.

Given your pedigree, your coach right now should be some schmo out of the Mountain West who happened to get lucky with an unheralded recruit, or two, and made the tourney in 2017...that guy ain't landing Green or Stewart...and you are not having a discussion about why the team is having a tough season after winning the PAC 10 or 12 or 20 or whatever it is these days and making the tourney and winning your second tournament game of the...decade... ...instead, you would be wondering when you were ever going to get to .500 again...

1581678364296.png

1581678423500.png

Last edited:
Coach of the year 2 years in a row in his conference. Not much else?

It's a good accomplishment. I really don't mean to come off like i'm trashing Hop. Maybe I was a little harsh - but my stance is if he has another season like this next year, he's in big trouble. He has 0 recruits for next year. 0!

Hidden bonus to Hop coming back in a few years after JB retires: He won’t be transitioning from assistant coach, where he would have been viewed as a friend to all the players. In fact, he won’t have a prior relationship with the players at all.

Hidden bonus to Hop coming back in a few years after JB retires: He won’t be transitioning from assistant coach, where he would have been viewed as a friend to all the players. In fact, he won’t have a prior relationship with the players at all.

I’m a fan of his, but when SU is searching for a new coach this fan base would implode if they hired a coach that was under .500 in conference play in the PAC-12. Unless his name is Mike Hopkins they wouldn’t even get an interview.

That being the case, I feel he will adjust and improve next season.

I don't watch Washington games but just looked at their schedule quick. In just conference play they have 5 one possession losses and two more by 4 points. That's friggin' brutal luck. Also saw they went from beating USC by 32 a month ago to losing by 6 this week. That's pretty bizarre too.

Gets fired does he come back to Syracuse? Blessing in disguise. I’ll choose to think this way even it may be a fairytale.

He’s gotta get better at in game adjustments or actually start making adjustments lol.

Don’t recruit players who can’t shoot. You’re always at a disadvantage on offense if you have a player(s) who can’t shoot. Dior has to have two shooters around him so he can attack the basket. Should be interesting who we recruit in the future

Hop is a good coach. He just underrates shooting.
Their problem isn't shooting, they've been shooting better than us over the pass 3 or 4 weeks. Their problem is turnovers and it was a problem before Green's suspension.

I think if he has three losing seasons in a row, then the school decides to "go in another direction." But I don't think it will come to that.

Ah the great mystery of Syracuse basketball:

“We need shooters enough of these athletes trying to play basketball!”

ok here’s JG3 and Buddy

“These guys can’t play D we need better athletes!”

Eh, this gets repeated a bit I don't think it's accurate that anyone was ever clamoring for this - although apparently this type of roster has it's huge fans now. Oddly.

I think the most oft repeated complaint was, "we need point guards." Which was true. Converting non-PGs into PGs, was a roll of a dice that we were too confident with.

Otherwise, JC's lack of development has hampered us a bit, but we really did need shooters. No argument there.
There have been some strange missteps, BJ Johnson, etc...but we never needed to transition from one extreme to another. I'm not sure prior to when it actually happened this season, many people seemed all that interested in going all in on the horrific defense up-top trade-off. It's a fairly bad roster - luckily we usually hit the floor with the best player in Eli.

Ah the great mystery of Syracuse basketball:

“We need shooters enough of these athletes trying to play basketball!”

ok here’s JG3 and Buddy

“These guys can’t play D we need better athletes!”
Classic. This should be pinned to the top of the board...

And the typical board response would be, "No Duh. We should only recruit these types of guys. I don't understand why we would recruit anyone but guys who are great athletes and great shooters. No excuse for not having at least 8 or 9 of them on the roster each year."

Total Haiku but...In retrospect, how much of an indictment is it of Rick Barnes that he had Kevin Durant and lost in the second round of the tourney? People get on JB for "only winning it all because he had Melo". Well, yeah, but when you gave him the best player in the country, he did win it all...

They obviously have a “cancer” on the team. Somethings not right besides losing their point guard. If Stewart was at SU, we would be competing for the conference title.

wonder if and/or who impregnated who and/or if's girlfriend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom