Washington Huskies | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Washington Huskies

Hop is gone. Frankly I am much more concerned about what is going to happen with us next year. As to what I thought the tread would involve - I think Howard is not on the roster next year.

It’s more likely another PG transfers.

Right now Washington only has one scholarship open, three if IS & JW leave. They are recruiting a few guards including five star Jalen Green.

They have a 2021 4 star PF committed, and are in on a few high ranking bigs.

Hop will be fine. UW would be crazy to dump him after two good seasons and one crap one. They kept Lorenzo Romar for 15 years for gods sake.

I thought this was going to be about Howard Washington...My Bad

I was hoping it was. Because it’s a valid question.

I hope he sticks and improves his jumper and carves out a slightly bigger role as a backup PG who gets a solid 6-8 minute run every game.

That school with the amazing hiking trails nearby? Not our problem. Hopefully Hop upgrades his gig soon. They’re a decent starter home, but you don’t want to stick around there too long. They don’t do hoops for real out there.

I was hoping it was. Because it’s a valid question.

I hope he sticks and improves his jumper and carves out a slightly bigger role as a backup PG who gets a solid 6-8 minute run every game.

That school with the amazing hiking trails nearby? Not our problem. Hopefully Hop upgrades his gig soon. They’re a decent starter home, but you don’t want to stick around there too long. They don’t do hoops for real out there.

Can he grad transfer his way out the door? If so, likely his best option.

I think we have a place for him on the team, but I think we are so locked in at the guard position that only light minutes will be available down the road. Goodine likely takes those - although I'd take a hard look at an exit plan if I were him as well.

Can he grad transfer his way out the door? If so, likely his best option.

I think we have a place for him on the team, but I think we are so locked in at the guard position that only light minutes will be available down the road. Goodine likely takes those - although I'd take a hard look at an exit plan if I were him as well.
I definitely see coaching in Howard's future. Great kid.

Is no one going to say it? I love Hopkins ... but he very well could be fired after this year.

The #10 recruiting class. Two top 10 guys. 0 for next year ...

and they STINK. Love hop but is he just a great recruiter and not much else (yet) ?

This is a Syracuse board. Why are you guys so obsessed with Washington?

I think it's a Husky kinda thing. But then that doesn't explain the Knights obsession on this board too. :)

Is no one going to say it? I love Hopkins ... but he very well could be fired after this year.

The #10 recruiting class. Two top 10 guys. 0 for next year ...

and they STINK. Love hop but is he just a great recruiter and not much else (yet) ?

Hop will be absolutely. There is now way he will be fired this year or next. Had two straight successful seasons and while this is year is very bad, it is a learning experience for him.
I think the biggest thing, has always been my concern, is can Hop be the hard ass or bad guy. This year he gave McDaniels way too much rope and has been rewarded with numerous technical fouls, dumb shots and uninspired play. Now its too late but early in the year you needed to set that guy straight, emphasize to the whole team that Stewart is the leader and complete focal point.

Hop is constantly gushing about how talented they are and all the positive things. That's great but a young team sometimes needs to learn that they have to work for everything. A young team needs to hear a stern voice once awhile to correct crap from happening again and again. i read their post game pressers and its the same thing over and over again. We are so close, really talented, have to believe, have to have fun etc. Maybe I am old and cynical but that seems to wear a little thin and would rather he rip into his guys if under performing. Hop is awesome and a really nice guy. he'll recruit fine because of his attitude, effort and personality. I still worry about the being too player friendly as oppossed to being the coach. Time will tell but I think he can learn and adjust a lot based on this season.

Cuse

I definitely see coaching in Howard's future. Great kid.

One of the stranger occurrences this year is just how he and Goodine have been used IMO. Ignoring whether you think they need more PT, even their limited usage seems bizarre at times.

There may be a game or two where I feel like Howard might be carving out a little role for himself. Then he disappears.

Then Goodine's turn.

Then Washington. It never feels match-up based, and they seem to play their roles well enough - yet it seems to yo-yo.

Obviously that's excluding times where injury/illness may have had an impact. It's all so slapdash.

Hop will be absolutely. There is now way he will be fired this year or next. Had two straight successful seasons and while this is year is very bad, it is a learning experience for him.
I think the biggest thing, has always been my concern, is can Hop be the hard ass or bad guy. This year he gave McDaniels way too much rope and has been rewarded with numerous technical fouls, dumb shots and uninspired play. Now its too late but early in the year you needed to set that guy straight, emphasize to the whole team that Stewart is the leader and complete focal point.

Hop is constantly gushing about how talented they are and all the positive things. That's great but a young team sometimes needs to learn that they have to work for everything. A young team needs to hear a stern voice once awhile to correct crap from happening again and again. i read their post game pressers and its the same thing over and over again. We are so close, really talented, have to believe, have to have fun etc. Maybe I am old and cynical but that seems to wear a little thin and would rather he rip into his guys if under performing. Hop is awesome and a really nice guy. he'll recruit fine because of his attitude, effort and personality. I still worry about the being too player friendly as oppossed to being the coach. Time will tell but I think he can learn and adjust a lot based on this season.

Cuse

NIT the first year which is solid considering how bad UW had been. He had a very good record the next year including 15-3 in the conference which was good enough for ... a 9 seed. Positive but that says A LOT about how the Pac12 is viewed.

So we're on the upswing - things looking great - gets a MONSTER recruiting class ... and they are awful. He has no recruits signed for next year. IS is most likely leaving. McDaniels may leave as well. Maybe he doesn't get let go this year... but if next year finishes similar to this one? Love ya Hop but I don't think he could hold on.

One of the stranger occurrences this year is just how he and Goodine have been used IMO. Ignoring whether you think they need more PT, even their limited usage seems bizarre at times.

There may be a game or two where I feel like Howard might be carving out a little role for himself. Then he disappears.

Then Goodine's turn.

Then Washington. It never feels match-up based, and they seem to play their roles well enough - yet it seems to yo-yo.

Obviously that's excluding times where injury/illness may have had an impact. It's all so slapdash.
All about the previous practices

The big question with Hop at UW, in my mind, was always how well he is going to be able to recruit there after the first couple of years when his Syracuse recruiting contacts start to dry up a little bit. It's easier to convince a guy from the east coast that you've been in on for a few years at Syracuse to come follow you out to Washington than it is to build new contact as the UW head coach. I think he has the chops to do it, but I don't see it coming easily.

Hop is definitely safe for now. If he bottoms out next season there will be pressure going into the following season.

There is definitely some cause for concern. Obviously losing Green to academics hurt, but they shouldn’t be this bad. Zero excuse to be losing this badly in what is a pretty weak conference. You can make a case that Washington is the most disappointing team in college basketball.

It probably won’t get much better with IS and McDaniels gone, but Hop needs to hit on the 2021 class. Tons of talent that UW is on, bucking 5 star Banchero.

I was a big Hop fan the past two seasons, but I’m on the fence now. I’m giving him a pass for now because of the Green situation and what seems like a toxic locker room. But if he can’t coach up what will be a veteran squad next season I’ll be concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom