Watched Dungey's First Three Games As Orangeman. | Syracusefan.com

Watched Dungey's First Three Games As Orangeman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
A friend of mine from Indiana asked me about Eric.

As I was describing Dungey's story, I decided to watch his first game - when he stepped in for Hunt against RI.

And then I watched Wake Forest and then CMU.

It is amazing. From the moment he stepped on the field the kid could play.

By CMU he was pretty much established as a pretty darn good college QB.

A friend of mine from Indiana asked me about Eric.

As I was describing Dungey's story, I decided to watch his first game - when he stepped in for Hunt against RI.

And then I watched Wake Forest and then CMU.

It is amazing. From the moment he stepped on the field the kid could play.

By CMU he was pretty much established as a pretty darn good college QB.

I don't think I could watch the CMU game again, it would make me too angry.

There aren't enough points we can score in that game this year. I hope it's 100 to nothing and the only thing that prevents 107 is the clock running out.

I was on the sidelines with TexanMark for the CMU game. The Dungey hit happened directly in front of us. I was watching Strickland hit the sideline for a TD and missed the hit. TexanMark did not.

I actually talked to Eric's mom afterwards.

Regardless, the kid has been able to play since minute 1. We're lucky to have him. Sit back and enjoy him for as long as we have him.

One of the thing those games do is dispel the "he's just a by product of Babers system"... There is no doubt this system is a very, very good fit for him and if he's healthy this season and the next - He'll end his time here as a record setting QB by a whole bunch of metrics. But he was pretty good from the moment he stepped on campus.

Not to hijack, but on the Hunt injury, if he doesn’t have the freak achilles injury, do we have Dino?

Setting aside that Shafer might not get fired if he has a 5th year QB all season, Dungey looked really good in a bunch of those games as a true freshman. I have to think that when we offered him the job, Dino looked at the game film and saw a guy who could successfully run his offense in a controlled weather environment for the next 3 seasons. If Hunt plays out his 5th year without issue and Dungey is redshirted, there’s no film for Dino to look at and he’d be walking into a job with a completely unknown/fairly unheralded group of QB’s to run his offense, at which point he may stay at BG for another season or just look elsewhere.

Not to hijack, but on the Hunt injury, if he doesn’t have the freak achilles injury, do we have Dino?

Setting aside that Shafer might not get fired if he has a 5th year QB all season, Dungey looked really good in a bunch of those games as a true freshman. I have to think that when we offered him the job, Dino looked at the game film and saw a guy who could successfully run his offense in a controlled weather environment for the next 3 seasons. If Hunt plays out his 5th year without issue and Dungey is redshirted, there’s no film for Dino to look at and he’d be walking into a job with a completely unknown/fairly unheralded group of QB’s to run his offense, at which point he may stay at BG for another season or just look elsewhere.

A lot of what ifs can happen in any situation. I think if Coyle bolted when he originally wanted (3 months in) then no way we fire SS and hire DB

A lot of what ifs can happen in any situation. I think if Coyle bolted when he originally wanted (3 months in) then no way we fire SS and hire DB
That situation still wreaks of something crazy going on. Not going to lie, it caused me to worry that some hammer is lurking...

Whoa, now the thread's getting interesting.

Details?

I believe when all this was happening he said publicly in a Minnesota paper (after he got that job) that he had his eyes on the job since their AD got fired or stepped down (I think it was about 3-4 months into 'Cuse)

My biggest what if is if Dungey and Babers were together since day 1.

My biggest what if is if Dungey and Babers were together since day 1.

There's no alternative timeline where that can possibly occur.

Sorry.

There's no alternative timeline where that can possibly occur.

Sorry.

I-want-to-believe-X-Files-UFO.jpg

Not worried. Dungey proved himself as a leader under SS. He proved himself as a solid QB under Baber's year 1. This year, I expect more from Dungey (and the backups - yes, I expect mop up duty!).

As to the alternative realities: Not worried, they are not the real reality. Have fun with the speculations, but in the end, it is an exercise in SNL's "Da Bears" sketches.

Great point! And, yes, a healthy Hunt maintains SS job. Had ED in the on deck circle for when TH graduated. Crazy as it sounds, SS and staff finding ED was a game changer. ED was found last minute in the recruiting cycle by Tim Lester, after sifting through hundreds of qb film. He picked him out, flat and simple.

There was the play in the WF game, the 89 yard TD pass to Estime, where Dungey off his back foot threw it
30 yards right to Estime's hands, and I remember thinking Hunt in four years never made that kind of throw.
He was definitely a huge find, but man, please stay healthy for the season for once. SU's looking at another
one of these 5-7 -> 7-5 years, where the season simply turns on the Wake-Pitt-NCSU-BC games. 3 or more wins and
they're in a bowl, anything else and they probably aren't. They just don't have the ability to play with
Lville/Clemson/FSU/LSU this year, and probably not Miami either.

Kev

Dung's health issues let you know how tough an SOB Greg Paulus was.
I'll always appreciate Paulus for being a "buffer" so that Nassib wasn't thrown into that. To his credit, Greg always sprung right back up & never complained, just kept trotting out there. I was in Happy Valley 10 rows up from the field, some of the hits he took were just brutal.

There was the play in the WF game, the 89 yard TD pass to Estime, where Dungey off his back foot threw it
30 yards right to Estime's hands, and I remember thinking Hunt in four years never made that kind of throw.
He was definitely a huge find, but man, please stay healthy for the season for once. SU's looking at another
one of these 5-7 -> 7-5 years, where the season simply turns on the Wake-Pitt-NCSU-BC games. 3 or more wins and
they're in a bowl, anything else and they probably aren't. They just don't have the ability to play with
Lville/Clemson/FSU/LSU this year, and probably not Miami either.

Kev

I was at that game...kept saying to my GF, "this kid has 'it'" and she was like, "What's 'it'"? After scrambling and finding Kendall Moore down the sideline along with the Brisly play-action 89 yarder with pressure coming, "moxie" was the word that came to mind. Combine moxie with his athletic and football talents, and we have a leader i'm looking forward to watching the next 2 years.

Without looking, he was something like 7-12 for 200something yards. Perfect for Shafer/Lester's offense. And that he can adapt to throwing 50 times a game, I'm a believer. In an ideal situation, I would love to RS Devito and get Culppepper some mop up duty in blow outs and/or how Marrone subbed in Nassib occasionally for Paulus that first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom