Waters Blog Post Outing CTO | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Waters Blog Post Outing CTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also was on Facebook posting what a good person she was last night because people are commenting about her in the most disgusting ways on articles about this.

I wasn't aware that this had already been on Deadspin and Mike was really only offering CTO a platform to counter that.

Anyway, I made the mistake of reading some of the comments to Mike's blog post. That is what motivated me to post. I don't know CTO personally, but she seems like a great person, has played a huge roll in this place being available and she is one of us. It really saddened me to see her name out there like that.

I think the original poster completely missed the point of Mike's article. The Deadspin article has been out for several days and I'd bet just about any sum of money that Mike had nothing to do with that article. What Mike is doing here is giving CTO a voice to apologize.

I guess that raises a question: does it have to be a public forum? is for ad revenue? can we require everyone to login/register in order to read?

I'm fairly certain that this started with a poster screenshotting her posts and posting them elsewhere. I don't think a random person on the internet thought, "Hey, I should search for Syracuse message boards and see if I can find some awful takes on Fab Melo's death to blow up into a story."

I'm fairly certain that this started with a poster screenshotting her posts and posting them elsewhere. I don't think a random person on the internet thought, "Hey, I should search for Syracuse message boards and see if I can find some awful takes on Fab Melo's death to blow up into a story."
I'm relived then that it wasn't Waters because that is what I was thinking and as I stated he was one of the only people at the Substandard I respected.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but if you're a regular Joe Schmo like me or 99.9% of us, no blog or Deadspin-type site on the internet is going to care what you say. You could post right now that you support the Taliban, and no one will care.

"Random SU poster says insensitive things!" is not interesting to anyone anywhere.

Last edited:
I'm a crazy Syracuse fan just like the rest of you, but this thread is ridiculous.

I'm sure it was a cusefan poster who went to deadspin. To have that kind of background on her? I don't know. Might not be. Big wake up call tho.

Someone had been posting this info all over some other social media platforms before the Deadspin article as well.

Wait did she leave for good? That's an absurd stance. I always enjoy her Forrest Gump life experiences. It's a messageboard, not an AA meeting. People need to realize that everything can and will get out in the public. Joyce knows better than anyone since she has been here forever.

Someone had been posting this info all over some other social media platforms before the Deadspin article as well.

Smells like something Tristan would do. Didn't he have a blowup with her before he left?

Whoever called deadspin and walked them through the board's history and how they knew the identity of 'CTO'...that's the rat and he/she should be shot on sight.

If you look at the end of the Deadspin piece, you see that the writer gave a "h/t" to someone named Nicolas, ergo, j'accuse.

I'm sure it was a cusefan poster who went to deadspin. To have that kind of background on her? I don't know. Might not be. Big wake up call tho.

If anyone read the thread, they would have learned she is on the BoT and people call her by her first name. It's a simple google search (Syracuse Board of Trustees) and you get the complete name and then anything can be found.

Side note 1: There are 112 Trustees in some capacity (voting, life, honorary)! I had no idea it was that large.

Side note 2: I've always thought it weird that people mention people's real first names in threads. If that was desired, why do we have handles/avatars?

The difference is, this isn't the backyard. It's a public forum which can be read by anyone on Earth.
That's exactly right. You don't have to be a member to read most of the forums on this site. On the day Fab passed, no doubt basketball fans from all over found their way to this message board, and many probably read the thread in question. It should shock no one that some might have been surprised by what they saw.

Whoever called deadspin and walked them through the board's history and how they knew the identity of 'CTO'...that's the rat and he/she should be shot on sight.

It's not necessarily a rat (although it certainly could be). Tons of UConn fans read this site, and we've had posters from just about every ACC and Big East school on here over the last 5 years. Could just as easily be a fan of another team who knew something about CTO's status in the 'Cuse community, trying to portray SU in a bad light. It's not like her identity and status was a secret.

That was my impression as well. I saw the story picked up on numerous blogs and thought Waters was giving her a platform to apologize.
I believe you are right. Mike reached out to CTO in an effort to clear the air. I'm sure she knew this was going to be published on Syracuse.com. Unfortunately, Mike's well intentioned effort turned out to add more fuel to the troll fires. Here's part of what Mike posted:

Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com
4 hours ago
@MartinVB
No one ran to the newspaper. I reached out to Joyce after her comments hit Deadspin.

If we had ignored her comments, some readers would have wondered if we were protecting someone with important ties to the university.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors